Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I like how Justin pronounces wash like "warsh" but that does not extend to his pronunciation of Washington

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

zimbomonkey posted:

I like how Justin pronounces wash like "warsh" but that does not extend to his pronunciation of Washington

My mom, aunt, uncle and grandparents all did/do this. It's a weird pensultucky, west virginia, ohio thing far as I can tell.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I'm still mad that the players didn't pick up on the Commodore explicitly calling it a Demon War which iirc they never mentioned.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

My mom, aunt, uncle and grandparents all did/do this. It's a weird pensultucky, west virginia, ohio thing far as I can tell.

My grandparents are from Lock Haven PA and they all do it as well, but it does extend to Warshington.

Also a few minutes later I guess Justin catches himself because he's back to saying "wash".

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Kazy posted:

I'm still mad that the players didn't pick up on the Commodore explicitly calling it a Demon War which iirc they never mentioned.
in my experience only the player who is taking detailed notes of the session (which is usually me, :rip:) will possibly notice hints like this unless it's done 800x or another NPC comments on it, and even then it's a crapshoot lol

I'm having mixed feelings on the last couple episodes. On the one hand, I like how things have picked up, and I do think Travis is yes-anding better. On the other, I feel like both the scene confronting the Commodore and the whole traveling-through-the-hell-dimension thing felt like anti-climactic, wasted opportunities. I am guessing that the point of the latter was actually to highlight where Grey's castle actually is so they can find it later to beseige it or something.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Honestly I just kinda feel like the problem is in the execution, not necessarily the plot points.

The tribunal was clearly meant to be like a Phoenix Wright dramatic turnabout thing where the real culprit has a breakdown in the face of a mounting pile of evidence, but.... that requires a lot more energy, a tightly-defined mystery plot, and available evidence for the protagonists to use. I don't know if it's just that Griffin jumped the gun with the accusation, or Travis invited the gun-jumping by putting the Commodore in that room too soon after introducing him, but that sequence was missing what it needed to work.

Then Grey's arrival didn't ratchet up the tension in the way that a villain revealing himself should. It just felt like he was dropping by for some casual whining. If I were an Unbroken Chain member, I'd just be wondering, like, "are they.... friends with him?". Firbolg openly suggested wiping everyone's memories so Grey could still have his wargames, that feels like it ought to immediately revoke his membership.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This week's episode is good, why aren't there wizard wrasslers

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Your PCs rolling godlike chance rolls could really gently caress up an encounter.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Then Grey's arrival didn't ratchet up the tension in the way that a villain revealing himself should. It just felt like he was dropping by for some casual whining. If I were an Unbroken Chain member, I'd just be wondering, like, "are they.... friends with him?".

I get the impression Travis is going for a Disney Hades feel with the character, which has the potential to be very entertaining but makes it hard to sell him as a genuine threat.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Trapick posted:

(Spoilers)

That's a bit of an odd framing - they accused Clint's nemesis, he was on trial at the secret society, he cracked and basically confessed, was going to escape, was paralyzed by Griffin, was rescued by big bad, at which point Justin stabbed him. I expected the others to jump in and try to kill him before the big bad could stop them, and maybe for the secret society to do something, but it didn't come off as lovely at all.

Edit: also, by d&d rules-as-written that almost certainly wouldn't have been a kill anyway, so I don't think Travis fudged that specific part.
Yeah it was 8 hitpoints and I don't think the dude is level 1, technically he should be able to heal up to full later so Travis giving him a permanent disability because Justin pulled a cool thing seems really nice. And the tunnel thing was absolutely to give a look at Grey's home. I can see why some people didn't enjoy it but I thought it was nice, a lot better than early Graduation, Travis is learning.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fred is on posted:

I get the impression Travis is going for a Disney Hades feel with the character, which has the potential to be very entertaining but makes it hard to sell him as a genuine threat.

Yeah. After two inhuman forces of nature as the big bads for the previous seasons I like that Grey is not that again or a stereotypical demon lord villian.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Griffin's David Blaine sounds like how I think Tom Waits sounds, having never actually heard Tom Waits' actual speaking voice.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i have listened to 80+ episodes of naddpod in a month

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
It seems like Clint feels he didn't become the monster enough last year and is only now catching up:

https://twitter.com/McElroyFamily/status/1303320389356081156

I'm not sure whether this is a goof the boys are pulling on him behind his back, or if he was the one who said "screw being cute, MAKE ME HORRIFYING". Both seem equally likely.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
The orange mane(?) is so bizarrely specific that it had to be Clint's request, right?

e: hahaha the clawed glove hands, it rules

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 8, 2020

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

those bee pins rule actually

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Travis' DMing infuriates me because he (a) allows zero room for deviation, and (b) only invokes battle mechanics have been Sidequest poo poo that nobody in their right mind will listen to (good god Imp Hospital was unlistenable). Because of this, there is no middle ground to Travis' antagonists. They are all either literal pushovers whose motivation for fighting evaporates with the slightest nudging, or endgame-level Pit Fiends that the Thundermen have no hope of beating (and thus must be rescued constantly by Travis' Deus Ex Machinas). None of these "victories" feels earned, either rhetorically or physically: even the subpoena trick they do with the xorn (one of the more clever things they've done this campaign) feels undersold as the xorn acts like a kitten that just wants to go home the instant it's served. The Thundermen aren't allowed to do anything, they have no agency: they just happen to be characters that things happen to.

And speaking of agency: Travis invoking Gray, even after the Commodore's Person was successfully Held by Griffin, was a profoundly lovely gently caress You to the Thundermen. It's not just because of the agency issue: it also reveals a huge lack of imagination on his part. Travis could have forced the confrontation in any number of ways: for example, he could have had Jackal pounce on him in a fit of rage, causing the summoning focus to fall and activate on breaking. Alternatively, he could have ratcheted up their paranoia by causing another Unbroken Chain member to reveal themselves as part of the conspiracy, then let them do the summon. Hell, if he was still interested in doing something comic, he could have tied Gray's summoning spell to a dead-man's trigger. He could have caused it to go off when Griffin's spell took hold, and caused Gray to appear in the middle of a Cenobite-style bathtub mid-scrub, confused and annoyed that he was called away by one of his captains in the middle of a break.

Yes, these are all still railroads. Yes, they push the characters back onto Travis' preconceived plot. But these alternatives keep the Unbroken Chain characters involved, they keep the audience interested, and most importantly, they don't punish Griffin for succeeding on a smart move.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Yes, these are all still railroads. Yes, they push the characters back onto Travis' preconceived plot. But these alternatives keep the Unbroken Chain characters involved, they keep the audience interested, and most importantly, they don't punish Griffin for succeeding on a smart move.

yeah i really hated this too, there are so many ways you could've still made the party feel like they accomplished something, and then stole it out from under them in a way that preserves your intended plot and raises the stakes. having God appear out of nowhere for no reason is the worst way.

poo poo, let them win against the commodore, find him guilty, then the next morning he's gone from fantasy jail with a note from Gray saying 'sorry, that just wouldn't do, feel free to consider this an act of war if you want to come fight me now lol'

i'm pretty sure the real explanation is "he wasn't prepared for this and panicked in the moment" though

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think TAZ should be advertised as "tabletop play for people who don't care about tabletop gaming" cause that might warn peeps before they step into the bad DM trap

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Really? What i saw was painfully generic.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Shinjobi posted:

I think TAZ should be advertised as "tabletop play for people who don't care about tabletop gaming" cause that might warn peeps before they step into the bad DM trap

Yeah, in my experience it's been a good gateway drug into tabletop RPGs for people who never played them, at the very least.

eke out posted:

poo poo, let them win against the commodore, find him guilty, then the next morning he's gone from fantasy jail with a note from Gray saying 'sorry, that just wouldn't do, feel free to consider this an act of war if you want to come fight me now lol'

That would have been better, but I think people would have still read it as a railroading deus ex machina.

By the way, this probably occurred to people before, but GRAY is an anagram of GARY. Coincidence??

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

From what I'm reading, seems I was right to drop Graduation after the first few episodes

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The podcast isn't called the Painfully Generic-ies. (Which is ironic.)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Justin's taste in games is pretty loving wonky

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Yeah it looks like fuckin bland cash-in trash. I’m big into Marvel and I can’t get excited at all for it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fred is on posted:

That would have been better, but I think people would have still read it as a railroading deus ex machina.

yeah i was just thinking of literally any alternative to "a god appears and makes it so the cool thing you just did doesn't matter"

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

well why not posted:

It's stupid to try and judge a game's quality by it's metacritic scores. But if you were to do so, just for fun.... Avenger's is tied for the 77th best Marvel game of all time.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It won't even let you customise your character into a sin against god and nature, how good could it be

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You shouldn't trust an FMV enthusiast's video game opinions

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

FMV games are hilarious though.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

well why not posted:

I like to listen to The Besties to hear those boys make fun of Master Chef or whatever, but this guy Justin likes a lot of games I do not like and dislikes games I enjoy

so I'm gonna need a second opinion or two before I jump into the latest looty shooty jumpy punchy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

those are the purest opinions of them all

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgpUCCrrVtY

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The stuff I've heard about the avengers game is that the single player story is pretty good and fun but the multiplayer sucks poo poo. apparently pre-release was god awful though

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I'm sure Justin will give it an

https://twitter.com/Chaotic_Defiler/status/1301782867580792832

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
The stuff with the commodore that really bothers me also comes back to either not knowing the spellbook or not caring to let the planned plot come through. If I was DMing and did that my player would just say that the spell doesn't work that way. He can't talk a little when he is hold personed, and then I would have to think on my feet.

I get that it's a planned story for an audience but it feels like the main thing missing is the elements of "real" dnd. I've almost always had the most fun when I had to fully improvise and then have to make it make sense afterwards. Both as a player, as a DM, or as the person at the table.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

This is the first unreservedly good thing I think I've seen or heard anyone say about that game.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

C-Euro posted:

This is the first unreservedly good thing I think I've seen or heard anyone say about that game.

I think Mashable’s reviewers liked it a similar amount but that seems to be it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I'll play the single player when its 20 bucks