Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

What's y'all's favorite Monster Hunter World weapon? Trying to get back in it, tried the heavy bowgun, thinking yeah I'll machine gun dinosaurs all day, but there aren't any wicked sweet combos, you just run a short distance and press the trigger. I can play any other thousand games to do that. My first 40 hours played two years ago was with the switch axe, which was cool but wanted to try something new this time around.

Iverron posted:

SnS forever

Amen. It's definitely got it's own challenge to it above and beyond most other weapons but it's easily the most engaging to play with on a moment by moment basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Fun Times! posted:

What's y'all's favorite Monster Hunter World weapon? Trying to get back in it, tried the heavy bowgun, thinking yeah I'll machine gun dinosaurs all day, but there aren't any wicked sweet combos, you just run a short distance and press the trigger. I can play any other thousand games to do that. My first 40 hours played two years ago was with the switch axe, which was cool but wanted to try something new this time around.

S&S or Hammer.

S&S is so versatile and maneuverable you wonder how you play with anything else.

Hammer just smash faces and stun monsters all day.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Fun Times! posted:

charge blade

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
1: Any opinions on the Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning?

2: I think the easiest summation of the writing talent for Alan Wake is that it feels like 99% of the reason for his name being what it is so they could have the dramatic line "Alan, WAKE UP!" and have that meta aspect to it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Fun Times! posted:

charge blade owns, i played it after maining switch axe as well and its a good fit if you liked switch axe

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fun Times! posted:

Play Lance if you want to feel absolutely invincible. Yeah, you don't get big explosions, fancy weapon swapping or big damage numbers, but played right Lance sits right next to the monster for the entire fight poking it forever and never dying. Plus, you get to zoom around really fast after the monster while the rest of your group has to do such lame things as "walking" and "calling riding monsters".

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Play Lance if you want to feel absolutely invincible. Yeah, you don't get big explosions, fancy weapon swapping or big damage numbers, but played right Lance sits right next to the monster for the entire fight poking it forever and never dying. Plus, you get to zoom around really fast after the monster while the rest of your group has to do such lame things as "walking" and "calling riding monsters".

Eh, if he's looking for sweet combos then lance probably isn't the best recommendation. I thoroughly enjoy poke poke poke and counterpoking though.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The Great Sword easily kills monsters the fastest, and is the simplest weapon to use in the game. You either hit or you don't. No complicated combos, no messy mechanics just

A.) Charge Sword
B.) Apply Sword to face

You also get an invulnerability Tackle, which you can use to tackle through roars.

It is the best weapon in the game.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Hammer doesn't have much in the way of sick combos aside from mashing the gently caress out of downed monsters' skulls (very satisfying), but it does have the nearly as satisfying charged shoryuken uppercut

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mehrunes posted:

There's options to change camera height and distance in the remaster.

Can you show a screenshot?

The Amalur Re-Reckoning videos I saw showed FoV but no camera height setting that increases the height of the camera’s focal point.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 9, 2020

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the king of sweet combos is the longsword, but if you are willing to spend a while getting the hang of them both the switch-axe and charge blade make it possible to have very long, flow-y strings where you use the innate abilities of the weapon as a way for you to push and roll around the battle.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I liked the lance, knocking a monster down and doing my goofy charge right into their side for tons of damage was fun.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Fun Times! posted:

What's y'all's favorite Monster Hunter World weapon?

Switch axe is, to me, amazingly versatile. Range, power, what I consider to be fluid combos--with both infinites and powerful strikes. It's my favorite weapon. I do often branch out and I have more hunts on other weapons specifically to git gud at them, because i played so much SA on all the 3DS titles, but Switch Axe is my favorite. Solo and in teams, it is a well loved weapon.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Sorry for double post:

GreatGreen posted:

Can you show a screenshot?

The Amalur Re-Reckoning videos I saw showed FoV but no camera height setting that increases the height of the camera’s focal point.

Morter fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 9, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Switch Axe is the best axe.

Except for when its the best sword

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Great replies, thanks y'all. I slept on s&s because it seemed basic but I think I'll give it a try.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

The SnS has a simple attack style at first but once you REALLY learn how to be on a monster, it can be amazing. Here's me loving up a Diablos with it (after failing to trap it):

https://streamable.com/n2skjh

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm a hammer fan myself. bonk. bonk bonk bonk. bonk bonk bonk bonk BONK!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Sword and shield is the best. Except when they make it go from elemental to raw with Iceborne.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

All Monster Hunter Weapons are the best weapons even the one you don't personally like. I've always liked the Gunlance even though it's outclassed

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

All Monster Hunter Weapons are the best weapons even the one you don't personally like. I've always liked the Gunlance even though it's outclassed

Gunlance is the only weapon that makes me feel like "ehh this is kind of bad." Play charge blade if you want a tanky weapon that explodes a lot.

I also don't really care for the ranged weapons in the game with the meatiest and most satisfying melee combat ever created.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

insect glaive insect glaive insect glaive

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I haven't played nowhere near enough of MHW (stopped shortly after reaching high rank) but I think about the game a lot every now and then and feel like getting back to it because the whole concept is extremely well done and I love that there's such weapon variety.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Valor Gunlance in Generations Ultimate was amazing. World was a huge letdown after that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that's alan wake's base game wrapped up, i am happy to report that barry still owns

it's still wild how abrupt the ending turned out to be. isn't the final line actually some reference to a finnish poem that's later hinted at in Control?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently, I fell for a phishing scam w/ steam (someone was sending stuff for "ezarena") and it did a login for like, you know, sign in with steam.

It asked for my 2FA code too, partly why I fell for it I guess.

Goon let me know what happened and I immediately changed my pw with a custom one (it was already using a custom one).

I don't know that that's enough, but I also have sent Steam Support an email asking for guidance.

Has anyone else had something similar happen to them? I still have access to my account, maybe the steam guard saved my bacon?

iGestalt posted:

I had someone try to do this to me earlier today;

I just blocked and removed them from Steam, but it reportedly opens a fake page with a oauth thing setup. Glad you got stuff changed quickly!

iGestalt posted:

It must be a bot script, or something. I wonder if it only replies if you reply to it?
Yeah I just got this same "hey" from AzureKing a few minutes ago, so their account is still under control of a bot.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Morter posted:

Sorry for double post:

Wow, the videos I've watched didn't show that.

Last question. Does that Camera Height slider control the position of the camera itself or does it control the point where the camera focuses?

In other words does it raise the camera higher in the air while still pointing at the character's back, or does it actually raise the focal point of the camera above the character and out into the world?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Uhhh, so looks like MS Game pass will include EA Play games for free starting this Holiday season?

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1303680121208012801

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/get-ea-play-with-xbox-game-pass-at-no-additional-cost/

quote:

Today, we’re excited to announce the next step in this journey. We are teaming up with Electronic Arts to provide Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and PC members with an EA Play membership at no additional cost starting this holiday. This means Ultimate members can enjoy EA Play on Xbox One, Xbox Series X and S, and Windows 10 PCs, and Xbox Game Pass for PC members get EA Play on Windows 10.
(emphasis mine).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's.... loving sweet?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo that rules

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm extremely confused at the console end of things doing smart business moves rather than just leaving all the PC money on the table. I'll take it though.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I dunno what Microsoft is up to but they've been killing it with PC game pass

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I guess Epic has really threatened the existing market?

Seems like a weird move, maybe EA realised that they had EA play exclusived themselves into PC obscurity

Orv
May 4, 2011

queeb posted:

Yeah I dunno what Microsoft is up to but they've been killing it with PC game pass

It's not perfect, on the tech end of things before someone's gotta get in there with that but it's almost unquestionably the best money I've spent on video games this year. (Even if this has been my least spend-y video game year ever.)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

queeb posted:

They realized they don't have any exclusives to entice people to by Xbox's so they changed their strategy. Extremely smart move IMO.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

queeb posted:

Clearly they are trying to take over the 'netflix but games' market and it's a pretty smart play on their part. I can't help but wonder if Steam has been trying to cook up some sort of subscription deal in the background.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
They really need some more throttling options on the upper end of things on the downloads menu. It jumps straight from 10MB/s to 25. I don’t want to clog bandwidth on this network but like, 15MB/S would be perfect, but it’s straight up not there. I don’t know why it’s not just a field where you enter a number.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They really need some more throttling options on the upper end of things on the downloads menu. It jumps straight from 10MB/s to 25. I don’t want to clog bandwidth on this network but like, 15MB/S would be perfect, but it’s straight up not there. I don’t know why it’s not just a field where you enter a number.

Wow I think the exact same thing. I'm always flip flopping between those two values too. 15 MB/s would be perfect.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fart of Presto posted:

Wasn't there a goon who recently got tricked into giving up control of their account on Steam(but was fast enough to get it back), because they answered a friend chat where the question was something like:

"hey
we wanna win with my team in the voting contest
can you vote for our team?"

and a link to some dodgy site?

I just got that question from goon Lex Averial (same name/avatar on Steam - hasn't posted on SA since 2018), answered no and and got unfriended.

As we have over 100 goon friends in common, you might want to watch out about clicking links they post.

Of course it could be legit, and they just got very angry at getting a no and :thebutt: as an answer v:shobon:v

Cheapshot is compromised as well. Pretty sure they're a goon.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/cheapestshot/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Mokinokaro posted:

Cheapshot is compromised as well. Pretty sure they're a goon.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/cheapestshot/

Yeah, they're in the SA Goons group.