Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

How do I get better at managing attrition? I looked at the casualties thing in the ledger and like 2/3 of my (3.6 million, lol) casualties are from attrition. Should I just always use the minimum siege stack even if it seems to take forever? Ive been fighting some world wars and I tend to accidentally get stackwiped in India while i an micromanaging in Europe if I dont leave my 80k stacks together.

Also my artillery seems to account for more casualties than they should based on their representation in my armies. Do they take higher attrition or something?

You can get some ideas/policies (defensive) to lower attrition, but late game you just kinda need to have enough manpower gain to mostly ignore attrition unless you want to play at like Speed 2 and micromanage constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah Id rather that system to represent seasonal migration. Then something else for the huge migrations and reforms like when the Comanche moved from being hunter-gathers in the Wyoming Rockies to being latter-day Texan Mongols. (One of the few times i can think of where some rando reforming into a steppe horde makes sense!) Ah, maybe in EU5.

Representing the comanche (and many other native american nations) as a unified political entity is also rather ahistorical. But that's a level of granularity that I don't think the EU engine is equipped to handle.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Representing the comanche (and many other native american nations) as a unified political entity is also rather ahistorical. But that's a level of granularity that I don't think the EU engine is equipped to handle.
Welllll they are doing those "no central government" tribes in the Vietnamese highlands...

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I’d rather that system to represent seasonal migration. Then something else for the huge migrations and reforms like when the Comanche moved from being hunter-gathers in the Wyoming Rockies to being latter-day Texan Mongols. (One of the few times i can think of where some rando reforming into a steppe horde makes sense!) Ah, maybe in EU5.

They do hint at a special reform at the end of the tree if you don't settle, so maybe horde mechanics will come through.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If you're going to rework Native America I really wish they'd dispense with migration pre-contact. The documented migratory patterns of Native Americans were something that happened as a consequence of European contact, the massive depopulation that followed, and colonization.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah Id rather that system to represent seasonal migration. Then something else for the huge migrations and reforms like when the Comanche moved from being hunter-gathers in the Wyoming Rockies to being latter-day Texan Mongols. (One of the few times i can think of where some rando reforming into a steppe horde makes sense!) Ah, maybe in EU5.

Yeah honestly there should probably be one system that is used to handle Eurasian Steppe Hordes and Great Plains Indians in the late game, the sort of migration and pastoralism is very similar.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

If you're going to rework Native America I really wish they'd dispense with migration pre-contact. The documented migratory patterns of Native Americans were something that happened as a consequence of European contact, the massive depopulation that followed, and colonization.

maybe for this it would be best to have (somewhat restricted) settled civilizations for the north american civs, and then have events determine their collapse upon european contact? ai indians would have a 90% or so chance to get the historical bad end, while a player could pick whatever other options there are to survive and strike back

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Real problem is that to accurately represent contact you'd have most of the Americas settled but with disasters that drop development and eventually lead to uncolonized land, but paradox has already said they don't intend to do that.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Real problem is that to accurately represent contact you'd have most of the Americas settled but with disasters that drop development and eventually lead to uncolonized land, but paradox has already said they don't intend to do that.

Yeah, you'd basically need events for countries which remove massive cities, all your wealth and manpower, provinces, etc. And that wouldn't be fun at all either.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Thing is you can only migrate as an OPM tribe, once you get multiple provinces you can't anymore.

Frankly it sounds like they're getting rid of what limited features there are more than anything, you can already use colonists (or war) to expand.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

natives get ad hoc de jure duchies, cool. the devastation thing is v weird though

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Should I just always use the minimum siege stack even if it seems to take forever?

Stack size doesn't affect siege speed as long as it's over the minimum. Only the amount of artillery in your stack matters. You can see how many artillery you need for each level of bonus in the siege screen (it varies depending on fort level). If you need to save manpower, split off all your infantry and cavalry (and any extra artillery beyond what you need for the max bonus) and just use your artillery to siege, plus enough infantry to get over the minimum stack size if necessary. Keep 1k extra troops above the minimum so you can eat disease outbreaks without halting the siege. If you're worried about being wiped, keep your front line troops in an adjacent province so they can reinforce the siege if necessary.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 9, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Natives using devastation feels strange at first, yeah. But let's not portray Natives as magical noble savages living in balance with nature, this depletion is really in the heart of a migratory lifestyle. Of course it's weird to be portrayed by the same variable as the one portraying huge armies pillaging the land. But I prefer this approach to creating yet another situational variable.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Finally managed a successful Kinslayer run. Got a random PU over Muscovy to finish it off.

Now time to try and conquer Rome without getting murdered by the mega-ottomans

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Natives using devastation feels strange at first, yeah. But let's not portray Natives as magical noble savages living in balance with nature, this depletion is really in the heart of a migratory lifestyle. Of course it's weird to be portrayed by the same variable as the one portraying huge armies pillaging the land. But I prefer this approach to creating yet another situational variable.

I agree with this take.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Just finished an 'Everything's Coming Up Mulhouse' run. It was a lot easier then I expected but that was probably because I got lucky and get the Burgundian Inheritance a couple years after I became the Emperor.

Because it is mostly waiting around once you crush the reformation I also set things up to get Stiff Upper Lippe and the Wales achievement.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ilitarist posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I've always thought of the migration as being something more akin to moving around to where food sources are in different seasons. You follow the herds of animals to get meat/furs, you move to a valley with berries that grow in a certain season to harvest them in that season, etc. Devastation in this case feels like claiming that an autumn harvest on a traditional farm is devastation because there's less wheat after the harvest than before.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Dirk the Average posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I've always thought of the migration as being something more akin to moving around to where food sources are in different seasons. You follow the herds of animals to get meat/furs, you move to a valley with berries that grow in a certain season to harvest them in that season, etc. Devastation in this case feels like claiming that an autumn harvest on a traditional farm is devastation because there's less wheat after the harvest than before.

AFAIK there were different tribes with different lifestyles. Some were not migratory at all. Plains Indians are famous for following buffalo but it's not the only reason to migrate and there were others. Of course, there were more reliable seasonal migrations (as I understand you usually go to the same safe place in winter and to a new unspoiled location in summer) but understandably EU4 won't portray those so having their territory they use over several years feels fine to me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
As I'm pretty sure has already been mentioned repeatedly, most of the concrete info we have on North American native cultures is from after contact and the apocalyptic plagues that followed. The famous migratory plains tribes were basically the product of generations of adapting and Mad Max'ing it up after the collapse of the old systems, and so on. (For starters, their pre-contact ancestors sure didn't have horses.)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Following bison herds is pre-contact for some peoples and you dont need horses to do it. Theyd use dog sleds to haul their belongings and shelters, and travel on foot. Humans have been following herds of herbivores long before weve been riding horses.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Another 3 :toot:

Dithmarschen is a lot of fun! Although the last probably 50 years was just internally building up and waiting for Ships to be made, I almost qualify for Economic Hegemon which is hilarious to me.

Also...

I may have gone overboard on the shipyards :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the crimean peninsula, "the land that time forgot"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Folks of the EU IV thread, have you thought about doing MP but found that you didn't want to because of all the gameplay. Well how about trying out saltymaps: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940065, a new way to do multiplayer map games where no one actually plays the game, we just talk poo poo and pine for the AI not to fail us. Coming soon to Map Goons.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bermuda seems broken, it keeps breaking fleet orders in the Caribbean. If they sail up to the island there is a very high chance the fleet will just get "stuck" sitting off the coast of the island(s) doing nothing until you manually move them back to the continent and restart the order. Restarting the order when they are at Bermuda does nothing at all.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Poil posted:

Bermuda seems broken, it keeps breaking fleet orders in the Caribbean. If they sail up to the island there is a very high chance the fleet will just get "stuck" sitting off the coast of the island(s) doing nothing until you manually move them back to the continent and restart the order. Restarting the order when they are at Bermuda does nothing at all.

Sounds more like a feature to me?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Sounds more like a feature to me?
A feature that sometimes something doesn't work the way it's supposed to?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Poil posted:

A feature that sometimes something doesn't work the way it's supposed to?

I think that was a bermuda triangle joke.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Reveilled posted:

I think that was a bermuda triangle joke.
Oh. That was completely lost on me. :downs:
But in my defense there is no reason to remember about that made up nonsense.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 12, 2020

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Dirk the Average posted:

Depends on the size of the tribe really. But alot of migratory tribes would basically stay in a location for a few years until there was no more game, soil was depleted from aggressive primitive agriculture, etc. Little bands of extended family groups moving with the seasons is pretty rare because it's kinda hard on the joints and really only works with very small numbers of people, despite that being what most people think of when they think "migratory".

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I decided to try my hands on playing as the Cree. It seemed a little bit challenging since they start with a 3 dev province in Canada and possibly the poorest trade node in the game, seriously Girin is wealthy by comparison. Compared to the Iroquois the start is a bit slower with no fighting but once a colonial nation forms nearby it wasn't any different really. Just stomping the poo poo out of everyone.

Is it even possible to get enough admin points to core conquered land as quickly as the colonies spread across the place? Each one has multiple provinces at once with a growth well over a hundred and I'd almost swear super lucky extra growth rolls constantly. The entire continent will be completely settled long before it was even explored in real life.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Go home, Lithuania, you're drunk.

edit:

Alright, never mind, EVERYONE's drunk.

Detheros fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 14, 2020

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Detheros posted:

edit:

It goes to show how much I've been playing CK3 thinking that these borders are actually pretty clean. But yeah, if this was a local noble situation then Lithuania got out of it relatively unscathed.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Detheros posted:

edit:

This is giving me ptsd flashbacks to EU3 divine wind Austria snakes

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Beamed posted:

Yeah, you'd basically need events for countries which remove massive cities, all your wealth and manpower, provinces, etc. And that wouldn't be fun at all either.

'This thing sort of, I've been considering an unavoidable disaster, but then the problem would be that it is unavoidable and we don't have any unavoidable disasters. A similar thing where the player gets slapped with a "gently caress you because history that's why" used to be the very old Dutch Revolts. So instead I try to make mechanics around where Europeans don't care about you and just straight up colonize (i.e tribal lands) and pacing to the balance of how fast they grow. This does at least give us opportunity to populate the area a lot more and that way hopefully also make it more interesting :)

ilitarist posted:

Also this, I can't implement another province value or rename devastation just for this, but it does do what I want it to do. I get the term might not be liked by people but it does reflect the resource depletion I want.. Keep in mind this only applies to migratory tribes, not settled tribes.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 14, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hi Groogy! We've missed you!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi Groogy! We've missed you!

Hi sorry, Emperor had me working a lot so I kind of had to focus on that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

Hi sorry, Emperor had me working a lot so I kind of had to focus on that.
Emperor was pretty drat awesome so I completely understand!

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Hi everyone! We play Eu4 multiplayer as a Goon community on Saturdays (and a lot of other PDX games.) You can join our discord on this link: https://discord.gg/u3dpbnP

Posting to let you know that our game is only one week in. This is the current map of Europe, but we'd love to see 2 or 3 new players join us in India/SEA.

Just pop into discord and say hello in lemonsaturdays channel. You don't have to be very good or have played eu4 multiplayer before - we're a welcoming bunch.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Groogy posted:

'This thing sort of, I've been considering an unavoidable disaster, but then the problem would be that it is unavoidable and we don't have any unavoidable disasters. A similar thing where the player gets slapped with a "gently caress you because history that's why" used to be the very old Dutch Revolts.

Reminds me of EU2. Playing Russia in EU2? Hope you like the Time of Troubles, because you're getting the Time of Troubles.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Nowadays the series have evolved from this design. Nowadays you trigger Time of Troubles, Court and Country, Revolution, and all the other disasters in a controlled way so that you get bonuses from overcoming them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Just crossposting the map from the first session of the latest Mapgoons MP game. Only one player death when an enterprising Mediterranean Alliance decided to attack Castile. Tunis was swayed with the promise of Sicilian land by Aragon.