Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this poo poo is rapidly making its way towards medford, a city of ~85k people. if they have to try and evacuate it in the middle of the drat night it's going to be a living nightmare.

also the fire started in ashland :v:

https://twitter.com/GreatWinter2017/status/1303536962914062339

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

DESTRUCTIVE FIRE!

UNBREATHABLE AIR!

TOXIC WATER!

ROTTING EARTH!

By your powers combined, I am Captain Climate!

NUMBER UP!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
How could fire do this to me

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

new stream btw:

https://www.facebook.com/kobitv/videos/2790437481191592/

it was exploding a while ago but it seems to have slowed its approach to medford for now, hopefully it stays that way.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

cool new doom .wad

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm in Eugene and imo this fuckin sucks!!

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

feel like some bad stuff is going on... not sure though. maybe its good? if it was bad we'd do something about it, right?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my friends are currently in escrow for their first home and it looks like that home might not exist anymore

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

weathergeddon x cool zone cross-over post

https://twitch.tv/malcontentmenttango

Tacoma's on fire yo

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Man Musk posted:

Tacoma's on fire yo

:stare:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
https://kval.com/news/local/photos-evacuees-gather-at-thurston-high-school#photo-1

god drat this is hosed, this is only 11 miles away from where I live and what's even more hosed is the northern area from where these folks are staying got a stage 3 evacuation about 4 hours ago. Very possible Springfield may get evacuation orders too.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

hobbesmaster posted:

i'm guessing the issue at that point would be if the fire passes before you run out of oxygen.

the woodland specific fire engines are designed for burnovers like this, take a look at this video from australia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDTrqQM9NqM

They're putting up an IR reflecting window shade, but really what makes the engines special is that they can spray the water its carrying onto the vehicle itself, you can see it in action during an actual fire here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8gZLgRSSfw&t=225s

(thats a wild video if you keep watching)

There don't seem to be as many videos from the US, but here have a crazy story:
https://wildfiretoday.com/2016/07/22/report-released-on-burnover-of-cal-fire-engine/

nifty post, the second video especially imo!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i had a laugh at the recommendation

also there was a fire dogge

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I grew up in Talent. I hated it at the time because it was small and boring. When I would go back as an adult, I could see a small town trying so hard to be a cool place, and in outright defiance of all logic, succeeding on several fronts.

The Talent Club was my favorite bar I’ve ever been to, and that’s not the top of a short list. It opened up in 1905 as a two story structure with a brothel upstairs, the brothel part caught fire, and the remains of the building ended up being rolled on logs down to its final resting place across from the grocery store. It was a very strange place, but it fit perfectly with the community it represented. It was small and lovely looking on the outside, but huge and warm on the inside, staffed with friendly bartenders and peopled with a fun group of regulars. They had a chalkboard behind the bar where you could pay in advance for your friend’s next beer next time your friend came in, covered in years of tallies and names. They had unbelievably regular and shockingly high quality live music. They had no liquor license and only took cash, but they would also sell you a to-go sixer and a pack of smokes and some frozen burritos when it was closing time. In a town where the convenience stores close at like ten, this was a godsend.

Across the street was the sweetest little independent coffee shop you could ever hope to see in your life, the kind of place people think about when they open coffee shops that suck. The coffee was good and strong, the food was good and you could tell that the cooks got to play around with it a little, the pastry was unbelievably strong, there were public book cases that people actually used, and there was a wonderful little patio to chainsmoke on while you added all those possibilities up in a way that made sense for you.

Behind the bar, across another street, was a grocery store that mostly fed me as a child. They had a deep fryer and a deli counter and would sell you the best jojos on the planet, all crusty and battered and perfect, and they would also have a huge barbecue out front during the summer months where they would sell you a Polish for like a dollar or some really unsanitary chicken that also owned. More importantly, they had a taco truck in the parking lot most days, and that truck singlehandedly changed me from a picky eater to an international gourmand in the space of one bite of one taco. I’ve spent years of my life cooking tacos professionally and thousands of dollars traveling down to Mexico to eat better tacos than I can get here, and all of that happened because of one taco that cost one dollar, or six for five. I still can’t make them like that.

Around the corner, they still had a video rental place as of 2018, the kind that has a cat in it and employees get space for their curated selections. You know how it loving sucks to spend an hour scrolling through all of your ten different streaming options trying to find something you could deal with watching, and how that inevitably ends with you putting on some poo poo you’ve seen a dozen times just to get rid of that chore? There is a solution to that problem, it is a video store, and Talent loving had one.

Within eye-shot of that video store was The Grotto, which sold a kind of pizza that I’ve never been able to find again, and that I don’t even know how to ask for. It tasted like it might have had a sourdough crust, and there were a bunch of weird bubbles on the bottom of a slice. My friend’s mom tried and failed to teach me to shoot pool in there when I was about ten years old.

What I’m trying to tell you is that you could spend an entire day in about a one block vicinity and enjoy every second of it. Coffee, tacos, live music, drinkin, rent a movie and grab a pizza, that’s a great day.

The last few times I was down there, it was because I was taking care of my mom. She’s got dementia, and it fell to me to cook her meals and stuff for a bit. It was always an unfriendly welcome, because people are naturally suspicious of strangers in a town doing its best to not become another tweaked-out hellhole on I5. By the second time I would see the same person, they would warm up and ask me what my deal was, and by the third greeting, everyone was my best friend. When I checked out of the motel, the lady at the desk was apologizing for charging me full rates and demanding that I tell her I’m me next time so she could give me a discount (which I totally did).

I hope as hard as I can hope that this is a premature eulogy. Maybe some of these places, and more importantly, the people who make them what they are, will be okay. I want it all to be okay. I love those people and the things they bring to the world. There’s a value there that doesn’t show up on balance sheets. This has been a terrible day.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

fabergay egg posted:

feel like some bad stuff is going on... not sure though. maybe its good? if it was bad we'd do something about it, right?

yeah i think we pay taxes for firefighting but i'm sure they are on it

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Real Mean Queen posted:

I grew up in Talent...

for what it's worth it sounds like talent may have skated by without getting it too bad if local chatter is anything to go by, though we won't know until daylight. phoenix however sounds like it's a total loss with basically nothing left standing.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

for what it's worth it sounds like talent may have skated by without getting it too bad if local chatter is anything to go by, though we won't know until daylight. phoenix however sounds like it's a total loss with basically nothing left standing.

There was basically nothing standing in Phoenix to begin with.

This is a light joke to distract from the gut wrenching horror I feel for the people of Phoenix, people who took me in as a semi-homeless teenager and treated me much better than I ever treated them. I love those people and owe them a great debt that can never be repaid, and I hope that every single one of them gets twice what they’re owed from insurance, and twice again for the people in the trailer park across the bridge from the Iron Skillet. Those folks looked after me out of nothing other than their inherent kindness, even when all I brought was bad news. I don’t have a nice eulogy for mainstreet Phoenix, because there isn’t one to write, but I hope every single soul in that horrible place gets out safe and collects a huge check.

E: I was wrong to say that, La Burrita was very good if it still existed yesterday. Puck’s is also a huge loss, you can’t get a donut that good no matter how hard you try.

Real Mean Queen has issued a correction as of 08:41 on Sep 9, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Man Musk posted:

Tacoma's on fire yo

On the plus side, the smoke might smell better than Tacoma's Aroma.

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/chriscabe3/status/1303296080377913344?s=21

the sheer terror of driving near a forest fire and not be able to see ahead from the smoke and then holy gently caress giant fire five feet away

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

the sun didn't rise this morning, still black as night outside

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You've done it, Hume! You beautiful son of a bitch, you've freaking done it

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bulgakov posted:

also there was a fire dogge

fire dogge wants only to take you away from this terrible world

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
hard to see but here's the sun from the office in my house. camera doesn't pick up how deep red it is and how smoky the air is. perfectly normal happy healthy planet we have.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
youre being visited by barbelith

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You’re all in the Otherworld now

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

there's actually a silver of clear sky on the eastern horizon underneath the smoke and it's illuminating just the tops of the trees above 60 feet, it's about as light now as a full moon night

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Louisgod posted:

hard to see but here's the sun from the office in my house. camera doesn't pick up how deep red it is and how smoky the air is. perfectly normal happy healthy planet we have.

I remember that happening once when I lived in Kansas, it's the most bizarre thing. I sent it to a friend in another state and she asked if I had accidentally opened a Hellmouth.

It was also from wildfires in Colorado, in 2010 or 2011.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Evil_Greven posted:

some town in eastern washington got 80% wiped out by a firestorm yesterday apparently
https://twitter.com/Photo4KXLY/status/1303451203687211008

some good stuff here for doomscrollers

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/sep/08/it-all-happened-so-fast-malden-pine-city-residents/

quote:

Morse, who grew up in the Lincoln County town of Edwall, described Malden as a “typical small town.” But, he said, it’s also become a haven for criminal activity, sowing distrust among neighbors.

“It’s kind of a halfway point for a lot of the drug traffic that comes through,” Morse said. “So, I mean, you have a lot of people that are – ” He stopped mid-sentence.

Law, the town councilman, acknowledged that Malden has seen more crime in recent years, including two homicide cases. But he said he gets angry when people disparage the place where he grew up. He remembers when more than 330 people called it home, when the train depot was demolished in the 1970s and when his mother’s tavern went out of business in 1980.

quote:

Like many residents of Malden, Hoover and Butler did not have homeowners insurance.

“Insurance companies would nitpick what was wrong. ‘Oh, you have paint chipping, you have moss on the side, you’re doing construction,’ ” Butler said. “That house was built in 1909 and had all the original everything.”

Hoover said the couple had raised a little more than $1,000 through GoFundMe.com, and they plan to spend every penny of it “putting a roof over my baby’s head.”

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sepia-red sky. Another town has burned down. You cannot leave the house today. Sepia-red sky. Another town has burned down. You cannot leave the house today. Sepia-red sky. Another town has burned down. You cannot leave the house today. Sepia-red sky. Another town has burned down. You cannot leave the house today.

Gray-red skies. Another city has burned down. You cannot leave the house this week.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Stereotype posted:

the best way to survive a brush fire is to pee on it, thereby exerting your dominance over the fire

But what if the fire is into piss play?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Love being far from any active fire and still having trouble breathing and a red sun

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I'm leaving for Boise tomorrow to stay with my parents for a week just to avoid this. Jesus Christ.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Posted this in the academic subforum but here you go too.

"Approximately 1.8 million ha burned annually in California prehistorically (pre 1800). Our estimate of prehistoric annual area burned in California is 88% of the total annual wildfire area in the entire US during a decade (1994–2004) characterized as ‘‘extreme’’ regarding wildfires. The idea that US wildfire area of approximately two million ha annually is extreme is certainly a 20th or 21st century perspective."

From Stephens, Scott L., Robert E. Martin, and Nicholas E. Clinton. "Prehistoric fire area and emissions from California's forests, woodlands, shrublands, and grasslands." Forest Ecology and Management 251, no. 3 (2007): 205-216.

Telsa Cola has issued a correction as of 03:36 on Sep 11, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Climate change definitely gets scapegoated to a large extent.

A main issue is homeowners not wanting controlled burns for fuel reduction around their houses because of the smoke and poo poo. Basically a "MY PROPERTY VALUES" type thing.

Mechanically reducing the amount of acres necessary would be extremely, extremely expensive and massively time consuming so thats not really an option.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you don't think climate change is increasing the frequency and intensity of these fires?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

actionjackson posted:

you don't think climate change is increasing the frequency and intensity of these fires?

It is to a degree but theres at least one paper out that states at least in California its having a relatively unknown factor. Its drying out fuels more, yes, but California already does a really, really good job of that.

An increase in Human caused ignitions gets pointed to mainly, as housing and such expands into more areas the number of fires increase because you have more people loving around or whatever.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Oh yeah poor planning and lovely housing policies have definitely been a leading factor in fire issues but climate change is turbocharging them as well

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

coastal retreat
fireland retreat
desert retreat

lets do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

actionjackson posted:

He's saying its getting entirely blamed on climate change (and gender reveal parties) when a huge component is the landowners not wanting natural systems (periodic burning) to inconvenience them.