Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

bike tory posted:

Did they take out the basilisk ambush for the EE? I haven't seen it in years
Oh, those are still in there, the basilisks just spawn between 4 and 6 in the morning so they're rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Wizard Styles posted:

Oh, those are still in there, the basilisks just spawn between 4 and 6 in the morning so they're rare.

A better argument for lying in I have never heard.

Edit: Grammar

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 11, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Wizard Styles posted:

Early bird gets the basilisk (and dies).

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Y'wanna know what I did tonight?

I punched Irenicus. Punched him right in his dumb loving face.

Then I kicked him in the head until he was dead! Nyah'aha!

It's fun taking a Monk from "basically-loving-useless" in BG1 to "I am punching holes in gods" in BG2.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's weird, I don't have much trouble with BG2 in general, but the elf city Irenicus fight is seemingly harder for me than it is for most of you.

I'm probably using the wrong 17 spells, or in the wrong order

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Irenicus uses spellshield. Breach him twice.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The most difficult fights for me were against anything that has an insta-kill spell.

Once or twice, Irenicus would Time Stop, then Power Word Kill which was a dick move. I think I reloaded the most times with the Elder Orbs in hell due to loving imprisonment. Same with Kangaxxx.

Onto TOB!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is a no-magic party any fun, there's so much stuff in the game I only know how to deal with by using magic hax.

I know the best way to kill a certain Lich is just to stack a ton of traps right where he's gonna spawn. I guess the magic of reloading can't be discounted here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Khanstant posted:

Is a no-magic party any fun, there's so much stuff in the game I only know how to deal with by using magic hax.

I know the best way to kill a certain Lich is just to stack a ton of traps right where he's gonna spawn. I guess the magic of reloading can't be discounted here.

What do you mean by "no magic"? If you just mean no mages It's perfectly doable with an inquistor to dispell everything.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Does inquisitor count as no magic? Figure you could probably mow down through the game with an inquisitor and 5 berserkers. Maybe change 1 berserker to a skald who sings and can use wands so you can use the spellstrike wand, no spells?) or change a berserker to a wizard slayer?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

It's weird, I don't have much trouble with BG2 in general, but the elf city Irenicus fight is seemingly harder for me than it is for most of you.

I'm probably using the wrong 17 spells, or in the wrong order

If you don't feel like playing mage chess with him, you can just walk your party away from his line of sight as soon as he's finished with his big speech, wait until his physical protections wear off, and spam some Mordenkainen's swords and elementals at him. This is of course an extremely boring solution.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
What catches people off guard about tree of life Irenicus is breach "not working." Because he has spellshield. Cast it twice. Then he has a contingency that I think recasts it along with his other buffs.

As for the rest of his stuff, death ward for wail of the banshee, chaotic commands for maze, ideally protection from magic energy (level 6 arcane) on your mages for horrid wilting (otherwise keep them well away from him.) along with the usual protection from evil 10', remove fear, etc.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
This is a post about filthy hobbits.

First, there's a mod NPC called Kale: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/74630/v1-6-kale-a-halfling-barbarian-for-bg-ee-sod-and-eet
You can pick him up in Gullykin and he can stick with you until the end of SoD, with BG2 content apparently being in the works.

Mechanically, he is very strong. He has a BG2-worthy attribute spread of 16 STR, 17 DEX and 18 CON. So, Khalid with +1 to all relevant stats and shorty saving throws. Especially considering all the ways to fix STR, that's definitely a bit too good for a BG1 NPC. He also has a custom cloak that gives him +10% HP. He's either a Barbarian or belongs to a custom tanky kit, the Warden, which is certainly better than a lot of kits but also not the strongest. It does get 1HP/sec regen at level 16 but that's way outside of the BG1 + SoD level range. Anyway, both the Warden and the Barbarian get a d12 hit die, so between that, 18 CON and his cloak Kale is the beefiest a halfling can be.

My main character already was going to be a Dwarven Defender so I went with Barbarian Kale. Kale's starting proficiencies are a bit of a weak point when he is a Barbarian (he gets different ones as a Warden). He starts with one pip each in Slings, Two-handed Swords, Halberds and Two-handed Weapon Style. He'll still wind up specialized in Slings and a melee weapon at level 6, so it's no big deal, but having one pip in both Halberds and Two-handed Swords is slightly annoying.

Anyway, I think Barbarian suits him well in terms of personality, because if a Warhammer Ork were to reincarnate in the Shire, Kale is probably who he'd grow up to be. That's not to say that he's all about violence, but for a BG NPC he's fairly aggressive. A lot of yelling in his battle voice clips, although it's (almost surprisingly) never obnoxious. A lot of fairly blunt interjections. A solid amount of Cockney.

Excuse me, it's actually nine bloody hells.

Kale also manages to be an NPC who states himself that he's really in it for the money and personal glory because doing good is ultimately pointless while not ending up as an edgelord. Apart from glory and gold, Kale also cares about dashing cloaks. He made his +10% HP one himself and one of two minor quests he has in Baldur's Gate is about getting materials so he can make you one and you can look as heroic as he does.

Both quests are very short, and as such fit well into BG1, but have multiple possible solutions and outcomes.

I haven't seen what SoD has in store but so far, this is one of the best BG1 NPC mods I've played. Kale has no relation to the main story but he fits well into the game as a character. He has quite a few interjections (but less than some of the more talkative NPCs with the BG1 NPC Project mod installed) and two short quest but the mod never gets overbearing.
There are a few minor issues, of course. His stats are too good. His quests give too many XP (3000 & 4000 respectively when comparable quests give maybe 1000). There are a few typos. I found a bug as Kale's dialog file assumed I had solved one of the quests differently than I actually did. But those are all minor problems and the mod is still under very active development.

I also wanted to say that Alora is great.
This comes with a few caveats. I moved her to Gullykin via the tweak pack option. I changed her proficiencies a little - Clubs and Slings instead of Daggers and Shortbows, but that is really a change for the worse. I'm also testing an item/store mod I started working on about a year ago which adds some good items for Thieves and, mainly, a lot of weapons, including a few magical darts. Which are very relevant to Alora's interests because of her Rabbit's Foot:

With +2 Luck, Alora is really only held back by the one attack per round Thieves get, and darts provide 3 APR. In addition to a Returning Dart +2 I put into one of my mod's stores I also gave Alora the +1 THAC0, +2 damage gloves. She's sitting at about 25% of the party's overall kills and XP earned.
She also can become competent in almost all Thief skills thanks to 19 DEX and the +10% bonus to all skills except Lock Picking. Her stats apart from DEX are weak but +2 Luck again helps a lot with that as it modifies outgoing and incoming attack and damage rolls.
And, something I didn't know, the Rabbit's Foot does not prevent Alora from wearing enchanted armor or equipping a protection item despite acting as a Ring of Protection +2 in addition to all the other poo poo it does. Considering she also gets +3 to the most important saves thanks to being a Halfling, she can really stack those bonuses.

I think it's common knowledge that this is an extremely powerful item but I still didn't expect Alora to be as good as she has been this playthrough. No surprise that she apparently likes Edwin; they both cheat. Unlike Edwin, Alora is just a single-classed Thief, but very good for belonging to such an unfortunate class.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 15, 2020

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I haven't used Alora in a long while, but doesn't she have even less HP than Viconia? That's a big problem.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Suspicious posted:

I haven't used Alora in a long while, but doesn't she have even less HP than Viconia? That's a big problem.
Yeah, that's true. Without mods she has 14 HP at level 4 when she could have 24. I put everyone at max HP for this playthrough because it's a mod test run so I want to get through it quickly but I still wanted to install most SCS components.
Without any mod changes to her HP she can still catch up if you get her at level 4 and she generally won't just die to a single spell or backstab because of her Luck and saving throw bonuses. But, yeah, 14 HP.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Darts are low-key one of the best weapons in the series. 3 APR for everybody!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Fruits of the sea posted:

Darts are low-key one of the best weapons in the series. 3 APR for everybody!
Yeah, for characters with a STR damage bonus throwing daggers are ultimately generally better but with darts you can stack flat bonuses really well. With +2 Luck and the +2 damage bonus from her gloves Alora just does 7 damage with every non-critical hit.
Also, Darts of Wounding and Darts of Stunning are amazing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The trouble with darts is their lower range. In BG1 I outfit everyone with ranged weapons, and having a few of my guys break rank (and it will invariably be the weaker party members) and move closer to the enemy is a big problem

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I'm playing through ToB for the first time.

It's a bit of a slog. Almost every fight is some cheeseball match. The game struggles to build up some fun momentum :(. Just when you finish one rear end in a top hat-ish fight, you kinda just walk right into the next one.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

H13 posted:

It's a bit of a slog. Almost every fight is some cheeseball match. The game struggles to build up some fun momentum :(. Just when you finish one rear end in a top hat-ish fight, you kinda just walk right into the next one.

This is why I haven't played through TOB in like 5+ years, despite playing through the rest of the series at least once a year

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

H13 posted:

The most difficult fights for me were against anything that has an insta-kill spell.

Once or twice, Irenicus would Time Stop, then Power Word Kill which was a dick move. I think I reloaded the most times with the Elder Orbs in hell due to loving imprisonment. Same with Kangaxxx.

Onto TOB!

Why bother to fight Kangaxx without protection from undead or protection from magic? Imprisonment as an at-will is completely loving broken.

I can't think of a single fight where those scrolls would be more useful.

H13 posted:

Every fight usually comes down to nuking the enemies and then finding a place to rest/save scumming Wish to restore all abilities.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm about to finish BG1:EE for the first time (I think? I'm on chapter 6... so if it's not "I'm about to", it's at least "I'm reasonably close").

Should I export my character to BG2:EE? I always got the impression that the two games were sorta meant to be played as one large campaign. I'm playing as a generic-rear end Paladin and despite that I'm still having a lot of fun. Went with what I assume is kinda the "default" good-aligned party (Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid)... do this also carry over into BG2?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

If you're having fun, why not? It may not be the most optimized character but you get a whole party to play with so you won't be missing anything. As for the party members, most of them are in BG2, but you'll have to recruit them again.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Drone posted:

I'm about to finish BG1:EE for the first time (I think? I'm on chapter 6... so if it's not "I'm about to", it's at least "I'm reasonably close").

Should I export my character to BG2:EE? I always got the impression that the two games were sorta meant to be played as one large campaign. I'm playing as a generic-rear end Paladin and despite that I'm still having a lot of fun. Went with what I assume is kinda the "default" good-aligned party (Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid)... do this also carry over into BG2?

Yeah, 2 is a direct sequel and it's assumed you are the same character you used in 1. The party you have is the party they assume you used in 2, although they don't get brought over and may have different stats and character builds than what you end with.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Drone posted:

I just started Chapter 6 and I have the exact same party, although as an illusionist gnome. I'd like to know too. Do party members get exported too or do they reset in BG2?

e: oh, there's my answer.

Elman fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 8, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If you don't care about "cheating" in a single player game, you can just EEKeeper the NPCs in BG2 to suit what you would have preferred. That said, especially Minsc in BG2 is built to be a useful dude no matter what for specifically plot-related things, so it might be best for your first run to just take your BG1 character in and see what happens. In general, BG2/ToB can be beaten by all characters anyway, so you don't really have to worry about min-maxing that much.

Do the EEs let you change a generic paladin to a paladin kit anymore? Maybe not. That's a bit of a bummer, there's a very over-powered paladin kit available.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Drone posted:

What about Siege of Dragonspear? You should definitely import into SoD, then into BG2. SoD is awesome.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

chaosapiant posted:

What about Siege of Dragonspear? You should definitely import into SoD, then into BG2. SoD is awesome.

I thought people kinda panned SoD for being poo poo?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
SoD is very much worth at least one playthrough.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Drone posted:

Paladin gets the best sword in the game so that basically makes him by default one of the best.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Drone posted:

I thought people kinda panned SoD for being poo poo?

The only people I've seen saying to avoid SoD were saying so because there's a single trans character in the game. The reveal is at the end of an optional quest which I completely missed on the first play through, is buried among several other dialogue options, and amounts to two lines of text about why an artifact is important to her.

SoD is good, it has a mix of challenging encounters like a cave full of trolls and ones that showcase how powerful you are, such as a group of 20 hobgoblins you can off with Cloudkill. The only big issue to me is that the final boss is essentially a gear check, but there are ways around that too if you don't mind spending some spell slots.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Washout posted:

Paladin gets the best sword in the game so that basically makes him by default one of the best.

What is it and where do I find it :ohdear:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Drone posted:

You kill a dragon for it. Though you when you meet the dragon you have the option of leaving peacefully, you should do that and wait until the paladin order sends you to kill the dragon (you get the sword either way, you just get more stuff and xp for waiting)
It's a two handed sword, if you aren't specced into that already you should get at least two more profs by the time you get to it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
To be clear, the sword they’re talking about is in BG2

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Drone posted:

You'll get it essentially automatically from following the paladin stronghold quest, just don't kill any dragons until you are specifically told to by your head paladin.

Paladins go from sword/shield supremacy in BG1 to just a walking mass of death in BG2 after you get the 2h sword. Like from chapter 2 all the way to endgame or so you'll never need to upgrade to a different weapon; and most swap to a blunt weapon if you fight a clay golem.

Also, SoD is very good, but then you start BG2 way higher level then the game intended so the first few chapters are a complete breeze until you hit the rock-paper-scissors issues of advanced mage combat where keeping tracking of spell protections/debuffs is the most important key to killing a mage. For everything else you can just haste warriors and hack away.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

pentyne posted:

Also, SoD is very good, but then you start BG2 way higher level then the game intended so the first few chapters are a complete breeze until you hit the rock-paper-scissors issues of advanced mage combat where keeping tracking of spell protections/debuffs is the most important key to killing a mage. For everything else you can just haste warriors and hack away.

This has been my experience with BG1, to be honest. I'd never played one of these games but after the first few hours it seemed I was overleveled and I could steamroll everything but the occasional difficult encounter (like basilisks, or groups of enemies with multiple mages).

It's still fun but I wish I had to work more to win. Maybe I should pick a higher difficulty in BG2.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I love becoming powerful and just crushing and cruising all opposition aside from the occasional boss type monster. I never mind being a bit more leveled in BG2 because it just opens up some fun options from the get go, and gives dual class users a bit more flexibility as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elman posted:

This has been my experience with BG1, to be honest. I'd never played one of these games but after the first few hours it seemed I was overleveled and I could steamroll everything but the occasional difficult encounter (like basilisks, or groups of enemies with multiple mages).

It's still fun but I wish I had to work more to win. Maybe I should pick a higher difficulty in BG2.

You can change difficulty at any time during a playthrough. I think it mostly just changes damage totals and experience levels so you can even turn it up or down mid dungeon and it will affect the next fight.

I hate when RPGs have a bunch of difficulty levels and you can't ever change them mid game. You're ten hours in and you decide it's too easy or too hard.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The XP boost you get from SoD isn't a big deal IMO since a new character in BG2 can waltz right into a fight with beholders, vampires or a dragon if they pick the wrong quest line to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Skwirl posted:

You can change difficulty at any time during a playthrough. I think it mostly just changes damage totals and experience levels so you can even turn it up or down mid dungeon and it will affect the next fight.

I hate when RPGs have a bunch of difficulty levels and you can't ever change them mid game. You're ten hours in and you decide it's too easy or too hard.

Even then I feel like a lot of it is gonna boil down to abusing spells and rest after every fight. Hopefully BG2 makes some improvements on that front. But yeah, I'll tweak the difficulty and see how it goes, although I'm almost done with the game at this point.