Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Marxalot posted:

If anyone is wondering about Pistol Whip then just look up some gameplay on YouTube and see if it might be up your alley.

Just buy it already.

I can't imagine someone who would invest in a VR headset and not be worth buying Pistol Whip and Beat Saber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Reverb 2 will be $1100 aussie pesos, pre-orders next week

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
im probably being thick but when i plug my quest into my PC it doesn't give me the transfer files dialouge anymore, its def turned on in the dev settings but i cant get the quest to pop up to transfer files anymore. I didn't know if a recent update got rid of this since i notice now there is a button for the link?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

by.a.teammate posted:

im probably being thick but when i plug my quest into my PC it doesn't give me the transfer files dialouge anymore, its def turned on in the dev settings but i cant get the quest to pop up to transfer files anymore. I didn't know if a recent update got rid of this since i notice now there is a button for the link?

I noticed the same. I guess it remembers the last time it asked you? if I go to Sidequest, the Explorer window pop up.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Turin Turambar posted:

I noticed the same. I guess it remembers the last time it asked you? if I go to Sidequest, the Explorer window pop up.

yeah of course, didn't think to look when sidequest was on, thanks!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Great Beer posted:

I broke virtual desktop somehow. Launching steamvr is giving me a black screen. I can see the void and menu on my pc's screen and the quest/controllers are detected. The 2d desktop display works fine and native quest games work. Sidequest detects the headset and oculus link loads correctly. But launching steamvr is just not working. I've Uninstalled and reinstalled everything, verified developer mode is enabled, and disabled the windows night light, which is apparently an issue sometimes. Is there anything else I should check before I start rolling back drivers and windows versions?

Update to this: if anyone else runs into this problem, I finally fixed it. Updating to the latest Nvidia drivers and reinstalling the streamer application got it going again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Does the Reverb G2 have a launch date yet?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does the Reverb G2 have a launch date yet?

In another forum (sorry I'm not totally faithful) I see people saying Mid-October to Mid-November for shipments, depending on the country. Preorders will start next week

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

I’d love to hear some more stuff from anyone who knows more about the scoring system. I could watch a guide but it’s fun to talk about video games instead of just looking everything up.

I do love Pistol Whip a lot more than Beat Saber when it comes to getting a workout. When I started I was walking myself out of the guardian, but eventually figured I need to keep my feet *fixed in place on the floor* and just move from my ankles up (lean, duck, and lean), and not only did my gameplay improve but I got a much better workout and could swear I'm a lot more limber now (once the soreness worked itself out). So it doesn't really require a lot of space for that either.

One run through of every original scene on hard is my go to workout now.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Adding pistol whip to my wishlist...

Just finished Alyx and have beat saber, but something else would be fun too before X wing comes out

ok so my kid loves them some VR and I'm cool with letting them play on my VR but the kid sweats like a lot and I'm sure they'll sweat more with pistol whip

Those foam covers soak that poo poo up

WHat do yall use if anything to like, manage that? Headbands? Is there a way to keep things kinda dry and clean, or switch covers out, or what... i sweat too, and i'm feeling these things are just going to break down sooner or later over time pretty quickly

so like
what for sweating

thanks for your reading

edit: seems like this may be a solution?: https://vrcover.com/product/rift-s-vr-cover/
or maybe this one actually? https://vrcover.com/product/silicone-cover-for-oculus-rift-s/

hhhat fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 9, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The silicone cover is the one I always see recommended for sweat resistance, and is probably way better for a shared headset too since you can just wipe it down.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Yeah, a silicone cover plus a fan has worked alright for me this Summer. Note that with games like Pistol Whip you should still take a break from time to time to cool down and not stubbornly retry the same map six times in a row to the point where sweat starts dripping down your face. This is a purely hypothetical scenario that I've definitely never experienced, of course.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've been doing Supernatural recently during the trial, they even sent me a silicone cover for free a week after the trial started. I have sweat dripping down my face about 15 minutes into the workout which just shows how much the regular face cover absorbs, gross. I like the idea of maybe putting on a tennis headband or something to absorb that too, but it's already getting warm instead that thing as it is.

I'm not a large guy who sweats easily either.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Preorders will start next week

I've had one preordered for like a month

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

njsykora posted:

The silicone cover is the one I always see recommended for sweat resistance, and is probably way better for a shared headset too since you can just wipe it down.

ew but yeah okay im gonna order one

seravid posted:

Yeah, a silicone cover plus a fan has worked alright for me this Summer. Note that with games like Pistol Whip you should still take a break from time to time to cool down and not stubbornly retry the same map six times in a row to the point where sweat starts dripping down your face. This is a purely hypothetical scenario that I've definitely never experienced, of course.

i could point a couple box fans at the play area, that's really a good thought

also i believe that is a hypothetical my friend

i believe

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I lunch something I bought through steam directly via the Oculus app is that going to disable steam achievements for that play session? Do I need to launch through steam to track any of that stuff?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does anyone have any tips for movement in Hotdogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades? Everyone seems to love this but the movement controls just feel so awful compared to say, Boneworks that it was really getting in the way of me enjoying any of the actual game modes. Using an oculus touch controller set up as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

If I lunch something I bought through steam directly via the Oculus app is that going to disable steam achievements for that play session? Do I need to launch through steam to track any of that stuff?

Doesn't open directly Steam when you launch the game?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

Doesn't open directly Steam when you launch the game?

I have a few games I bought on steam that got added to my oculus library somehow, so it's easy to just boot them up via recently played stuff in Oculus, or if I launch the game directly I get a prompt to "launch with Oculus or launch with steam" and it defaults to Oculus even though I bought them on steam.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lowen SoDium posted:

3rd valve index base station worth it?

Yes. Assuming you're someone who actually moves around and uses your entire playspace and have enough space to slightly warrant it.

Also Yes, if you're going to play anything competitively. Be it saber or onward.

Casual hour a week VR use? naw.

lookitsjoe
Nov 29, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Does anyone have any tips for movement in Hotdogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades? Everyone seems to love this but the movement controls just feel so awful compared to say, Boneworks that it was really getting in the way of me enjoying any of the actual game modes. Using an oculus touch controller set up as well.

There's a curve, but Armswinger is definitely the way to go. It starts to feel very natural and you can bob and weave around corners, run faster than any other mode, and overall integrate it nicely into the way you play.

Plus if anybody's watching you, it makes you look pretty dumb.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Project Cars 2 is £11 on the Humble store and I'm curious about it, does anyone have an opinion? I'm not super into driving sims but I've enjoyed Ridge Racers and stuff in the past.

In exchange here's a trip report for Espire: It's got heart but it can't back that heart up. I liked how it was talking about stealth mechanics like climbing and navigation through vents but that just ended up being basic 'climb on this specific wall' and 'crouch through this short corridor as a level transition mechanic'. The VR controls were also super inconsistent, just brushing your hands in the wrong area could change your weaponry and you needed to keep a tight grip on everything which hurts your hand after a while.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Pierson posted:

Project Cars 2 is £11 on the Humble store and I'm curious about it, does anyone have an opinion? I'm not super into driving sims but I've enjoyed Ridge Racers and stuff in the past.

It's a really cool game, and the VR stuff is great in it.. but it's very much a driving simulation game, and very very far from Ridge Racer.

I played it for a few hours, mostly just driving around in fancy Go Karts and really enjoyed myself.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's such a horribly god damned janky game because the dev never updated anything to natively support the index controllers. Every menu shows the loving vive controllers and so do the help menus.

But then you realize its made by one dude who has created some of the most accurate weapon models / animations ive ever seen and you forgive the nonsense and try to embrace it instead :)

In any case I just use the warping mechanic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Armswinger is the best movement option. It's a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'd like armswinger if it was "hold stick in the direction you want to travel, swing arms to move", but the way it's currently implemented just annoys me anytime I want to step sideways or backwards.

e: my god that was the sloppiest phone post ever.

Shine fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 10, 2020

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Shine posted:

I'd like armswinger is if was "hold stick in the direction you want to travel, swing arms to move", but the way its currently implemented just annoys me anytime I want to step sideways or backwards.

That's where I'm at too. I keep going back to twin stick.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pierson posted:

In exchange here's a trip report for Espire: It's got heart but it can't back that heart up. I liked how it was talking about stealth mechanics like climbing and navigation through vents but that just ended up being basic 'climb on this specific wall' and 'crouch through this short corridor as a level transition mechanic'. The VR controls were also super inconsistent, just brushing your hands in the wrong area could change your weaponry and you needed to keep a tight grip on everything which hurts your hand after a while.

PC2 is decent, it gets some hate from super sim grognards but a lot of it is done pretty well and it's much more simm-y than PC3. It's a bit disorienting when starting/finishing races as the game takes over control of your car to get you out of the pits or when you cross the finish line and in VR it's pretty unsettling. Career mode is pretty cool though and will keep serving up races and locations without having to gently caress with anything. Driving karts in VR is a kick in the pants, but like most simracing it really is best with wheel/pedals/shifter.. peripherals worth obtaining cause it's rad af in VR as well as intuitive

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Ah goddamnit automation. I was getting pretty poo poo experience during some of the more intensive moments of Alyx and after a few matches of Payday 2 , but only on the Quest (I play via Link). Steam showed no dropped frames and the monitor preview was buttery smooth, so it was kinda weird. I was also getting some mad audio crunch during those laggy moments so I thought the Link itself was making GBS threads the bed, but then again I am using the my USB3 port and the official Oculus cable. It never ocurred to me that Steam VR might be thinking too high of me.

It set the per-eye resolution of my HMD to 2556x2828. The Quest does 1440x1600 :v:

Now I've set it up properly and buttery smooth experiences across the board. And I'm seeing some things more clearly than I used to! Moral of the story, always check your settings.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
For some reason my Rift S has been not recognizing the display port cable is connected unless I reboot with the headset plugged in. I used to be able to just plug it in and be good to go when my computer is on. It’s happened a few times now and it’s kind of concerning.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kikas posted:

Ah goddamnit automation. I was getting pretty poo poo experience during some of the more intensive moments of Alyx and after a few matches of Payday 2 , but only on the Quest (I play via Link). Steam showed no dropped frames and the monitor preview was buttery smooth, so it was kinda weird. I was also getting some mad audio crunch during those laggy moments so I thought the Link itself was making GBS threads the bed, but then again I am using the my USB3 port and the official Oculus cable. It never ocurred to me that Steam VR might be thinking too high of me.

It set the per-eye resolution of my HMD to 2556x2828. The Quest does 1440x1600 :v:

Now I've set it up properly and buttery smooth experiences across the board. And I'm seeing some things more clearly than I used to! Moral of the story, always check your settings.

So that's not *inherently* a problem; this is called supersampling, where it renders at a higher resolution than the screen can output. It'll make the picture overall look better, at the obvious cost of performance.

The specific problem is Steam will automatically crank the supersampling on its own without telling you according to a lookup table it has for the game and your graphics card, and doesn't take the actual performance into account, so in practice stuff will randomly be unplayable if it decided you needed some really, really high supersampling for some reason :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Lemming posted:

So that's not *inherently* a problem; this is called supersampling, where it renders at a higher resolution than the screen can output. It'll make the picture overall look better, at the obvious cost of performance.

The specific problem is Steam will automatically crank the supersampling on its own without telling you according to a lookup table it has for the game and your graphics card, and doesn't take the actual performance into account, so in practice stuff will randomly be unplayable if it decided you needed some really, really high supersampling for some reason :v:

Yeah I know of supersampling and it's nice of Steam to try to get me some nice pixels to look at but the Quest just doesn't play with that at all. It would be nice if it set those things according to hardware, they know I'm using Link because they count it separately in the hardware survey. Besides, for any game, ever: smooth frames >>>>>>>> graphics quality.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Steam loves loving with your hardware without asking you or telling you. It’s to the point where if I have problems with a game the first thing I do is check some steam settings instead of troubleshooting the game itself, especially for VR and controller settings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kikas posted:

I just realized I hadn't checked the resolution since upgrading to my Vive Pro and sure enough it was parked at 130%. Dialing it back has made it even clearer, goddamn :stwoon:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Where is exactly the super sampling setting in Steam VR?

My Oculus Link is doing weird stuff lately. Almost every time I connect it to pc, the display works but the left audio channel has a static noise. I disconnect it, try again and it always works fine on that second attempt.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So I hate fb, but the oculus quest was too good to pass up now that the bf is working in vr stuff. We're planning on getting a good computer to link up and play some better games. Is there a list somewhere of good games we should get specific to the oculus store before we start loading games through the computer? So far we have beat saber and pistol whip.

Also, any recomendations for rechargeable battery setups for the controllers?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Spikes32 posted:

So I hate fb, but the oculus quest was too good to pass up now that the bf is working in vr stuff. We're planning on getting a good computer to link up and play some better games. Is there a list somewhere of good games we should get specific to the oculus store before we start loading games through the computer? So far we have beat saber and pistol whip.

I just use Eneloops, I don't remember exactly what setup but just punch that into Amazon or whatever and pick whichever charger plus AA rechargables works for you. Have a decent enough battery life and always have a set ready to swap in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kikas posted:

poo poo I need to check this. I have been having the exact same experience and I think I may have done the exact same thing when I was setting everything up cause I was just like "crank that poo poo uuup" on everything.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

ECHO

ARENAAAAAAAAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Where is exactly the super sampling setting in Steam VR?

My Oculus Link is doing weird stuff lately. Almost every time I connect it to pc, the display works but the left audio channel has a static noise. I disconnect it, try again and it always works fine on that second attempt.

You either go into the Steam VR dashboard on you headset and click settings (little cog in the bottom right) or, when the headset is on, open the "options" menu from the VR app itself. Then you just go to General/Video and change "render resolution" from auto to custom:

Oh yeah, I should be able to turn home back on now that SS is off, might get some fun outta that.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just use Eneloops, I don't remember exactly what setup but just punch that into Amazon or whatever and pick whichever charger plus AA rechargables works for you. Have a decent enough battery life and always have a set ready to swap in.

Fun fact, if you buy Ikea-brand rechargable batteries you get Eneloops with the logo changed to Ikea. They also cost like half the price.