Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
What kind of curve/saturation are you guys running? I tried -50 and went to -20 to see how it feels because 2 hours of landing challenge made my wrist hurt.

Btw thanks to the thread for letting me know about coordinating rudder and roll in turns lol. I've been trying doing it the right way since and it feels smoother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Finally, what can I do in the TBM cockpit for lighting so I can see the autopilot panel at night? I was thumbing around in the dark trying to work on it and clearly did some stupid stuff.

Hit Ctrl-L (i think) to put on your mining helmet. There may be a switch somewhere for cabin mood lighting but the helmet works in every plane.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Mailer posted:

Hit Ctrl-L (i think) to put on your mining helmet. There may be a switch somewhere for cabin mood lighting but the helmet works in every plane.

There's two switches on the ceiling for a left and right overhead light, they're tricky to spot in the dark though (brings back memories of old adventure games of hunting down the pixel while madly mashing the left mouse key!). Both lights seem to be aimed at the center of the console though, which is a bit weird because it leaves the middle very bright and the sides kinda dark. No way to adjust the angle of the lights that I could find.

Also trying Pilot2ATC and that really improves the ATC experience a lot! It can actually vector you and all that fun stuff, though I do miss the little static noises and degradation of the signal that you get with the native ATC. Also has a pretty powerful flightplanner, though I'm not sure yet how to make that work within flight simulator itself. UI is horrible though, I feel it makes the program needlessly complex compared to Little Navmap, for instance. It has a free trial, I may just pick it up when that expires just to have the ATC.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Speaking of getting killed by the autopilot: Guess who tried an autopilot ILS approach in a TBM? It looks like the autopilot won't just land my little TBM like that one time. That was just an aberration from everything else I had done. I had to pull the stick up a smidge to get a nice landing, but it's as close to butter as I've gotten in a TBM. That table somebody posted really helped; I came in around 90 knots.

Now, for stuff.

First, can I get some reaffirmation that other people have to deal with this USER waypoint stuff? This was in the initial plan:

I just keep redoing the plan basically until it goes away. I still saw a hint of something like it on one of my panels:

Second, from all the entering and re-entering, my en-route waypoint to BEZER had no height set in the final entry. So when I turned on the autopilot, it naturally decided to try to smash me into the ground. Is this at all realistic? I would imagine an autopilot system would not decide "----" meant "zero." Then I set a height for it, turned on the autopilot again, and the vertical speed decided to be negative. So it decided to go from 1000 feet to 3000 feet at a rate of 1000 feet per minute. Is that also a normal thing?

Finally, what can I do in the TBM cockpit for lighting so I can see the autopilot panel at night? I was thumbing around in the dark trying to work on it and clearly did some stupid stuff.
You're going to have to be more specific about which autopilot modes sent you into the ground. One word of warning, do not make stick inputs while the autopilot is turned on in the TBM. It starts overcompensating so that if you give it a little bit of pull up it now lawn darts no matter what maneuver it thinks it's pulling off.

Reading the open issues log and from experience, VNAV doesnt actually do anything so the nav computer heights are for personal reference only I guess. The user waypoints are harmless in that context then, they seem to be for smoothing out initiation into the waypoint from your current location where you hit activate. If you click the navpoints in the flight plan you can skip around which leg you want GPS mode to have active so you can skip it and or fly by heading up to the first point.

Now that you're doing ILS you can remove all doubts and confounding about nav computer waypoints. Set your NAV1 to the ILS frequency. Line up around your first approach waypoint by manual or autopilot flying at around the plate stated altitude. Make sure for PFD nav source is NAV1. Turn on NAV mode. You should see in hone in on NAV1 heading. You should see the glide slope indicator next to your altitude and you should probably be near the center if you're at the posted altitude for the nearby waypoint. Turn on APR. It should stay honed in on the bearing and now make inputs to keep the glide slope indicator near the center.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The light switch is up on the roof and seems a little buggy some times.

The TBM is like a big BMW 7 series in the sky!

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I love the Icon A5 but any moderate wind will make it impossible to turn around in water, even with the water rudder. I've been hopping around tiny local reservoirs and then crashing because the plane turns about 20 degrees and then refuses to turn any further, even under power. Clear skies I have no problems however.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

zedprime posted:

You're going to have to be more specific about which autopilot modes sent you into the ground. One word of warning, do not make stick inputs while the autopilot is turned on in the TBM. It starts overcompensating so that if you give it a little bit of pull up it now lawn darts no matter what maneuver it thinks it's pulling off.

Reading the open issues log and from experience, VNAV doesnt actually do anything so the nav computer heights are for personal reference only I guess. The user waypoints are harmless in that context then, they seem to be for smoothing out initiation into the waypoint from your current location where you hit activate. If you click the navpoints in the flight plan you can skip around which leg you want GPS mode to have active so you can skip it and or fly by heading up to the first point.

Now that you're doing ILS you can remove all doubts and confounding about nav computer waypoints. Set your NAV1 to the ILS frequency. Line up around your first approach waypoint by manual or autopilot flying at around the plate stated altitude. Make sure for PFD nav source is NAV1. Turn on NAV mode. You should see in hone in on NAV1 heading. You should see the glide slope indicator next to your altitude and you should probably be near the center if you're at the posted altitude for the nearby waypoint. Turn on APR. It should stay honed in on the bearing and now make inputs to keep the glide slope indicator near the center.

If you use LOC (localiser) instead of NAV mode, you can leave the nav input on FMS/GPS, and still capture the Localizer. Basically, you can input the fix you want to join the Localizer at, fly direct to it in (GPS-source) NAV mode, hit LOC as you get close, and then activate APR when you start to join the glideslope.

For smoothness, plan your approach to join the Localizer at or less than a 30° angle. IE: Approach course is 088°, and you’re joining the localiser from the north, you should be intercepting on a 118° heading or less. From the south, a 58° heading or more.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

wibble posted:

The TBM is like a big BMW 7 series in the sky!

It is a really cool plane, super fast, decent payload, has all the cool tech and still remain moderately rugged and flyable for non-commercial pilots.
I wonder who buy them, they are not that much cheaper than a Honda Jet, although the Honda jet is probably seriously expensive to operate.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MrYenko posted:

If you use LOC (localiser) instead of NAV mode, you can leave the nav input on FMS/GPS, and still capture the Localizer. Basically, you can input the fix you want to join the Localizer at, fly direct to it in (GPS-source) NAV mode, hit LOC as you get close, and then activate APR when you start to join the glideslope.

For smoothness, plan your approach to join the Localizer at or less than a 30° angle. IE: Approach course is 088°, and you’re joining the localiser from the north, you should be intercepting on a 118° heading or less. From the south, a 58° heading or more.
I might be blind but I didn't see a LOC button in the TBM 930 or Cesna 172 autopilot. I can picture an AP LOC button in my minds eye but I can't remember where.

I flew what I think is the OPs flight plan and it was one of my smoothest ILS experiences in game.

Ignore the 172, I didn't get a screenshot of the original set up. I'm flying a TBM 930. Ignore the dog leg in the world map, it washes out with the preloaded approach.

After take off and clearence to join my flight plan, at level flight at 3000ft on a gps managed arc fix to the localizer. In nav with altitude hold.

In descent to LORII with permission to land. In nav using vertical speed control to descend. Getting ready to join the glide slope at 1800ft at LORII

After hitting LORII, turned on approach mode. Glide slope joined. It followed it in pretty smoothly although PAPI pegged me as low by the end.

A+ ILS futzing route, would train again.

E. Tried the same thing with another plane and came in way too low to capture the glide slope so uhhh I guess glide slopes are a land of many contrasts.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 9, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Airbus has a LOC button and probably the Boeings.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Charles posted:

The Airbus has a LOC button and probably the Boeings.

Does MSFS accurately simulate the TONE LOC button?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=387ZDGSKVSg

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

lobsterminator posted:

Does MSFS accurately simulate the TONE LOC button?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=387ZDGSKVSg

Personally I've always felt that the stall horn should be Salt-N-Pepa.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
zedprime's experience is about what I would expect assuming I manually programmed BEZER to actually have an altitude. I'm still unimpressed that a non-programmed altitude in a waypoint tells the autopilot to smack into the ground.

The dog leg in the plan also shoes up in mine, but the VFR map in-sim along with the navigation display will properly point to my next waypoint.

I haven't seen a localizer mode with the autopilot, but I haven't been looking either. I don't know what all the autopilot controls do yet. I'm afraid one of the other ones I haven't pushed will open a trap door under the plane and drop me out in my seat.

zedprime posted:

Yeah I've learned to act like active pause isn't a thing I can use. "If you need a breather after a moment of thrilling flying" or whatever the screen loading text is very ironic; the "thrilling flying" probably happened thanks to active pause!

I was in NAV mode (with NAV1) set and it was trying to go to BEZER, which I had manually programmed but had not set the altitude. Altitude control was in vertical speed mode. Before taking off, I set the autopilot to vertical speed mode at +1,000 feet per minute. When I turned on the autopilot from the master autopilot button, it immediately nosed down. I fought back control and set BEZER's altitude to 3,000 feet in the planner. Not that the approach chart wants 4,000 feet for BEZER but ATC always hounds me for 3,000 feet. I turned it back on and it tried to fly to BEZER at -1,000 feet per minute (note, minus!). Again, nose down. I was below the target altitude both times. I haven't tried this again yet. Maybe tonight I just practice fighting the autopilot.

Regarding the approach: I've been turning on approach mode after BLAIM but before LORII in the approach. LORII is the waypoint in the approach chart with an X mark on it, so I'm guessing it's pointless to even think about it until I reach there. I never see anything happen with my glideslope until I reach LORII anyways. A bunch of stuff happens on the display in pretty rapid succession so it's hard for me to tell what's going on when it's succeeding. I recall at one point the set altitude turned yellow and flashed. I'm guessing there's supposed to be some indication that the approach mode is ignoring my set altitude and doing its own thing.

Things are also at a point where I can probably cross-reference actual documentation and other simulators.

Edit: For the general stuff with navigation and autopilot, are there good text resources I can reasonably rely on correlating to FS2020? It doesn't have a manual itself. I'm about to just blindly Google but I don't know if I'm going to waste a lot of time doing that.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 9, 2020

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I did have the AP try to kill me on departure the other day, but I noticed that the top bar said something like "NAV | AP | ALT -300 FT" even though I'd dialed in 4000 ft or whatever on the altitude bug and selected Vertical Speed mode since that seems to be the most consistently non-homicidal mode for climing or descending.

Has anybody else observed the -300 FT thing or something similar?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The manual itself and user guides to FSX and Xplane work about as well with the caveats being: stick input and active pause at your own risk, these get the controller thrown way off and will lawn dart or stall you or flat spin you or all of the above.

Someone did a really good effort post on the modes specific to FS2020 recently but I didn't bookmark it.

Specifically for the TBM930 but I think generally applies to any with the G1000 with same buttons:
Waypoint altitudes are used in VNAV mode. VNAV mode doesn't seem to do anything. What VNAV should do is take the altitude setting from the waypoint and activate an appropriate climb/descent mode to get you there in time. What it does now is apparently nothing, but you can use the flight plan as an altitude reference if you don't have the plate next to you to set your altitude settings.

The basic crux of altitude management in the autopilot: set your intended altitude with the knob.
Turn on VS or FLC (FLC works really well for ascent, but I haven't gotten it to descend the way I want it to so I always use VS for descent)
You don't need/want to set altitude hold yet. It doesn't try to do anything if you aren't already near. Expressly because its undefined how to get there if you don't use a change altitude mode. Instead you use FLC or VS to get there. When you arrive within 500ft or so it sets itself and turns VS and FLC off.
APR is a special kind of altitude management. You won't use it with ALT, FLC, or VS. It works by itself to follow the glide slope in.
You can have ALT and HDG set up in the background so then if you need to Go Around you flip on HDG and FLC AP and scoot off to the hold point with minimum brain power.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Airbus selects flaps deployment angle based on plane weight, whereas Boeing is rather manual? I've tried to land the 787 multiple times going full flaps, and every time the nose pointed at the horizon or slightly down (doing ILS landings). Last landing I went easier on the flaps, and now it descended nose up. Didn't seem to have been an issue on Airbus before. I'm wondering about how things work, because Airbus is 1-2-3-4 and Boeing has actual flaps angles (and more than the A320).

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I fought back control and set BEZER's altitude to 3,000 feet in the planner. Not that the approach chart wants 4,000 feet for BEZER but ATC always hounds me for 3,000 feet.

For right now, while you're just practicing procedures, ignore the ATC. Just pretend it doesn't exist.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Sagebrush posted:

I tried to get myself right into the vortex coming off a player-controlled A320 but I didn't notice anything, sadly. Maybe I was just in the wrong spot.

Cruising low over a GA field with the 747 in slow flight and knocking planes out of the air would be a fun game.

I wonder if it’s just not in the game because any multiplayer collision is also non existent. You simply clip through other people’s planes.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

soggybagel posted:

I wonder if it’s just not in the game because any multiplayer collision is also non existent. You simply clip through other people’s planes.

I guess checking with AI traffic would be a good place to start.

quote:

windshear, blow, wingtip vortices, wake turbulence behind other aircraft simulated and affecting precise parts of your body

This is from some collected PR clippings from 2019.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 9, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Jesus, the A320 is so goddamn tiny next to the 787.

Mokotow posted:

This is from some collected PR clippings from 2019.
I was tailing a pal in his 747-8 yesterday, nearly up his APU butt, and crossed his wakes multiple times. Didn't do poo poo. Was in a 787 tho.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I was tailing a pal in his 747-8 yesterday, nearly up his APU butt, and crossed his wakes multiple times. Didn't do poo poo. Was in a 787 tho.

Technically you’d be more likely to feel the wake turbulence further out, as the vortexes form on wingtips and spread out from there and are also impacted by crosswind. Following preceding traffic’s flight path is strangely a mitigating factor, more so for traffic your size. It’s further behind and below where you don’t want to be. In all honesty I doubt they implemented it at all.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 9, 2020

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I know fs 2020 is the new stuff but has anyone tried using FSX steam edition with On Air and having it connect? I installed FSUIPC, I installed SimConnect from the SDK folde rinside the steam folder, I installed the 32 bit version of On Air and it still won't connect. I wanna fly my company's DC3s.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Mokotow posted:

Technically you’d be more likely to feel the wake turbulence further out, as the vortexes form on wingtips and spread out from there and are also impacted by crosswind. Following preceding traffic’s flight path is strangely a mitigating factor, more so for traffic your size. It’s further behind and below where you don’t want to be. In all honesty I doubt they implemented it at all.

You'd either have to keep track of every parcel of air's stats and distribute those between players or push out flight info in high enough detail to do the math on all this locally on each machine.

Much more likely they just didn't do it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's been confirmed since before release that there's no wake turbulence.

It makes sense for there to not be when you consider that other players' planes aren't physical objects in your local instance.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How's fuel modeling in MSFS? I'm playing OnAir and now it actually kind of matters since I need to carry cargo instead of just gas.

On the 182, is my correct procedure for range to be climb to ~9k, set throttle to 75% or so and start a movie on Netflix?

I've got the game set to handle the fuel mix automatically, does that affect range at all or am I just always getting the best bang for my buck because I'm letting the CPU handle it?

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

My first ever time getting on a wide body plane was a 747, and after only ever getting smaller planes like a 320 or 737 it was a real shock how bloody massive it is in comparison

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don't think I saw this shared here yet, its pretty new news! Navigraph now updates Navdata in FS2020!

For those that don't know or haven't used it, Navigraph is a subscription based service that updates your sim (and associated softwares) with the latest navigation data and provides you with the latest charts for airports. It was less useful for MS2020, but in X-Plane, once you purchased planes with a full featured FMC, they would need to be updated with the latest navdata as well as the sim, as well as something like Simbrief if you use that for flight planning, etc. It is also probably only *truly* useful for tubelining - the improved A320 is out and decent - so there you go. This new update should make MS2020 play much nicer with importing flight plans from Simbrief and that sort of thing. I checked a few spots I knew were busted and they do indeed match the current AIRAC, now, so woo.

It's important to have Navigraph so you have access to helpful navigation such as:

And how else will you know pushback procedures in Hong Kong?

I'd still say that unless you really like having every current chart like some weird chart hoarder, its still not wildly useful compared to X-Plane (since we don't have a ton of payware yet) and the chances are if you need/want it, you already know about it, but still - It's cool and the charts desktop app is nice to have. I can answer questions about the software but you're better off asking the actual pilots questions about charts, still. I only know as much as I need to feel like I'm Doing The Sim Thing.

This is their post about the new beta, bolding mine:

quote:

Welcome!

Thank you for applying as a beta tester for the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Navdata Update Service from Navigraph. We appreciate your help!

What am I Testing?

This is a service to update the FS2020 default navdata.

The primary reason why such a service exists is because users have reported that many airports, procedures, and navaids, are missing or erroneously coded in the FS2020 default navdata.

The secondary reason is that users have reported a preference to Jeppesen data because it corresponds better with the information on Jeppesen charts provided via Navigraph Charts.

Furthermore, referring back to the topic of "Unified Data" - as mentioned by Navigraph CEO Magnus Axholt in this YouTube video: Navigraph is the largest provider of navigational data in the flight simulation community and therefore it is more likely that the data in the simulator will correspond with other services in and around the flight simulation eco system if it is updated with the FS2020 Navdata Update Service from Navigraph.

Your Task

In order to help with beta testing, we kindly ask you to download a client software which will update some files in your FS2020. (Don’t worry - the client software also has a revert function so your simulator can be put back to its original state after testing it if you like.) Log in using your Navigraph account. You need an active Navigraph Ultimate or FMS Data subscription for it to work.

Download from here! Quit your simulator before installing! Not yet compatible with Steam installs!

We want you to run the client software, let it update some files on your FS2020, then launch your simulator and go fly.

What to Expect

First of all, you should expect a client software running reasonably well. If you encounter any issues, or want to provide user feedback, please post in our beta forum.

Secondly, when the client software has updated FS2020, you can expect changes to the navigational data:

Missing airports have been added (e.g. EDDS and ZBAD)
Missing procedures have been added (e.g. ILS 16 at LIRF)
Missing navaids have been added
Additional VFR waypoints have been added

More specifically:

7.760 VHF Navaids have been updated
3.327 NDB Navaids have been updated
70.944 Enroute Waypoints have been updated
1.303 Markers have been updated
13.166 Airports have been updated (including COM frequencies, runways, ILS, terminal waypoints, terminal NDBs, and terminal procedures)

What Not to Expect

This navdata update service from Navigraph only updates the navigational data. To some extent the simulator will attempt to redraw the visual scenery, but this update will not affect buildings, aprons, taxiways, landmarks, geography or anything visual that, for example, a scenery developer would work with.

Known Current Limitations

Steam installations not yet supported.

In addition, we currently exclude the following items (meaning we leave the default data untouched), but expect to add when possible:

airways and ATC boundaries - Goonnote: So it might not play well with ingame ATC?
airports with a longitude >= 161 degrees
all MilTacans
all Com frequencies < 118 MHz

The installer app also has a few known limitations:

it's not possible to sign out - to reset app delete folder %appdata%\navigraph-desktop
the app can be started multiple times
the application sometimes does not quit properly after having been started multiple times
if the sim is running the installation/uninstallation will fail

Supporting Scenery Developers

We have the possibility to add historic data too, like VHHX, but will wait to do so until scenery developers have moved some buildings out of the way. Our intention is to work closely with all scenery developers to provide a solid foundation for every visual built on top of our navdata.

Reporting Feedback

Please report any findings in our beta forum. If you like the service, we appreciate it if you spread the word. How about posting a screenshot on social media using hashtags #microsoftflightsimulator and #navigraph?

Then What?

The client software has an automatic update function and will keep updating itself with improved versions of both client software and data as the bugs are being reported to us.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 10, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Not the Messiah posted:

My first ever time getting on a wide body plane was a 747, and after only ever getting smaller planes like a 320 or 737 it was a real shock how bloody massive it is in comparison

I worked on DC-10s for a while, and was pretty much exclusively around wide bodies the whole time. My friends think I’m odd when I call 737s “little airplanes.”

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Tonight's Fort Lauderdale experience:

I was trying to get the autopilot to screw up, so I manually added the BEZER waypoint without setting an altitude. The autopilot was in NAV and VS modes with no altitude set but a climb rate of 1,000 ft/s. Technically, the set altitude on the display was 0ft. It looks like it just climbed at 1,000 ft/min without stopping. I thought that maybe it would automatically level at 4,000ft because that's where BEZER is shown on the 10R map, but it didn't.

The autopilot decided it missed BLAIM and did a 360 to fly to it again. It had five minutes of level flying along the line before that to work with. I don't really understand. I was going at 180 knots. Should I have been slower or something? I think I normally am flying around 180 knots around that point.

I went back to RNAV for this flight. The approach never caught the glide slope. Also, it looks like the waypoint for 10R for the RNAV landing was on the center of the runway so I was coming in too high. I managed to fix it and land without bouncing (my standards...) but I'm guessing the more realistic thing would be to declare a missed approach. ATC doesn't exist though hehehe.

I think I read here FS2020 doesn't save replays yet. Is that right? I'm thinking that would be a good thing to have to see what happened when pushing the autopilot's subterranean mode. It's easy enough for me to say I did this or that but maybe I set a negative climb rate or something. Who knows? I also imagine it would be easier to put that replay up somewhere for somebody else to see and explain why I'm stupid.

At any rate, I'll be rambling more about this particular course but I'll be expanding what I'm doing to more instruments and crap and less straight-up GPS autopilot.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bedurndurn posted:

How's fuel modeling in MSFS? I'm playing OnAir and now it actually kind of matters since I need to carry cargo instead of just gas.

On the 182, is my correct procedure for range to be climb to ~9k, set throttle to 75% or so and start a movie on Netflix?

I've got the game set to handle the fuel mix automatically, does that affect range at all or am I just always getting the best bang for my buck because I'm letting the CPU handle it?

The mixture simulation in MSFS is pretty wonky, so the auto-mixture setting is a fine alternative, but it'll use slightly more fuel (1-2 gallons an hour) than leaning it manually will.

In a nutshell, MSFS makes engines too sensitive to changes in altitude, there's some displays/settings missing from several airplanes that makes leaning more difficult, and the simulator has the fuel flow increase as the mixture is leaned, instead of the correct response, which is that fuel flow should steadily drop (accompanied by a rise in exhaust gas and cylinder head temperatures) as the mixture is leaned towards the proper setting.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The autopilot is really, really, really bad.

I wouldn’t stress about it until there’s another patch or a pay ware plane that nails it. Dancing around a broken system is learning bad habits imo

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Rio is a lovely city to bomb around in, just stunning.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

sellouts posted:

The autopilot is really, really, really bad.

I wouldn’t stress about it until there’s another patch or a pay ware plane that nails it. Dancing around a broken system is learning bad habits imo

Yeah I have to agree. I was thinking maybe it just has to be set up perfectly, but I have had enough runs with it on the same course that I don't think it is consistent. Still, I am thinking saving a replay would be better to have first now. I can at least review what I did and be able to dismiss something. I have a bad feeling while farting around with IFR that I will stub my toe on something else. My first guess is just inaccuracies but I wouldn't dismiss a complete screwup.

What are my recourses for skipping ahead in flights? I heard about some mode where I skip ahead to the destination, but I don't know how to toggle it. I also would want to try it with intermediate steps in a route to test my navigation.

Finally, is there a "fourth wall autopilot?" I mean, one that runs outside of the simulation's parameters. I wonder if I use that and basically play a copilot playing with navigation and instruments.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What are my recourses for skipping ahead in flights?

Hover over the little bar at the top of the screen. It has ATC, VFR map and other popouts. One of them is Travel To, and you can use that to warp to waypoints/descent/approach.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Agh, FS2020 has the same stupid problem that Halo has where it forces some specific audio mode which my headphones don't like, so I get no audio when on bluetooth if I play.

Works fine with my speakers, but not my headphones.ds Guess I'm not flying after hours.

I've never had this problem with a single game that isn't Microsoft.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is it just me, or does the mixture control do literally nothing in the SR22? I can bring it from 100% to 1% and I get the exact same performance at every stage along the way. 0% still cuts the fuel flow completely.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

Agh, FS2020 has the same stupid problem that Halo has where it forces some specific audio mode which my headphones don't like, so I get no audio when on bluetooth if I play.

Works fine with my speakers, but not my headphones.ds Guess I'm not flying after hours.

I've never had this problem with a single game that isn't Microsoft.

I've heard of it in a few actually
Disable the communication audio device through control panel

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
How are you guys speeding up time to get to the destination? Everytime I try to do it the autopilot wigs out and tries to crash my plane.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

abigserve posted:

How are you guys speeding up time to get to the destination? Everytime I try to do it the autopilot wigs out and tries to crash my plane.

I generally just go with two presses of sim rate up when I'm on autopilot. I may toggle between three and two, but if I stay on three for too long the autopilot starts oscillating pretty heavily. At four presses, the plane almost immediately starts a death spiral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is it just me, or does the mixture control do literally nothing in the SR22? I can bring it from 100% to 1% and I get the exact same performance at every stage along the way. 0% still cuts the fuel flow completely.
It sounds like you have auto mixture assistance turned on. It does it's thing without actually moving the lever so the lever does what you mention and is just a cut/not cut lever.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I have to agree. I was thinking maybe it just has to be set up perfectly, but I have had enough runs with it on the same course that I don't think it is consistent. Still, I am thinking saving a replay would be better to have first now. I can at least review what I did and be able to dismiss something. I have a bad feeling while farting around with IFR that I will stub my toe on something else. My first guess is just inaccuracies but I wouldn't dismiss a complete screwup.
I'll blame inaccuracies here too because the thing you want is fundamentally broken in a way I don't think you would ever recognize as maybe working but you keep trying. Your focus on flight plan heights tell me you want it to manage heading as well as height from the time you hit AP till as close to landing as possible. This should exist for this plane. NAV and VNAV should do exactly that. VNAV just seems to be a dashboard light though. You need to manually do all altitude management until approach catches a glide slope (and even then catching the glide slope seems like luck).

Has anyone in the thread caught an RNAV based glide slope? I've avoided them for being even finickier than ILS and I can't say I've actually ever caught one.

Any way it sounds like you've done landing to the point of frustration, I'd recommend you get a somewhat longer route and dick around without time pressure of a 15 minute landing drill to play with altitude management using manual altitude knob setting combined with VS or FLC if you want to bother keeping up with the weird AP.