Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Mega Comrade posted:

Schools should be the first things that open and the last things that close. Distance learning doesn't work well with smaller kids and for some families its just not doable at all. Shutting and restricting other things to allow schools to remain open is a good thing, its what the government is restricting and in what order is the bad thing. That pubs opened before schools shows exactly where the Governments priorities lie.

I agree with prioritising schools, I just meant that there are already schools with hundreds of students self isolating for a couple of weeks because of a positive test for someone at the school only a week or so into them reopening, so presumably there's going to be a significant number of students missing multiple large chunks of school this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Red Oktober posted:

This is loving poo poo. I don’t know if anecdotes are any use to you but I believe that most people who fight these and keep going eventually win - they’re banking on you giving up.

Just be ready for the fight to last multiple years, and even if you win they can start the fight over again immediately with a snap reassessment

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yet another bank is telling me I will have to put an app on my smartphone to access online banking soon.

To this day, I just cannot see how an app on an easily stolen smartphone and (for most people) with verification codes being texted to the same device is more secure than a laptop. I would have thought it would be desperately insecure.

Personally, I have a non-internet 'dumb phone' as my main phone and my smartphone is a different device so my verification codes will be going to a different device. But I know that's not how most people operate.

Can someone enlighten me as to what point I am missing?
Phones have fingerprint scanners and strong encryption that the Home Office hates.

Texting a verification code to the same device is bad and you shouldn't do that, the idea is to replace your pin pad with a biometric 2FA.

josh04 posted:

Reading twitter last night suggested this is an entirely normal thing to be happening during a trial that has snowballed into headline news because journalists are idiots.
Yeah, the time to be worried is when vaccines get approval without things like that happening (looks at u Russia).

There's an insane amount of pressure on this Warp Speed thing to beat China, and there were worries that there might be political pressure to be a bit 'flexible' in areas where you really don't want that, so pausing to investigate is comforting.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yet another bank is telling me I will have to put an app on my smartphone to access online banking soon.

To this day, I just cannot see how an app on an easily stolen smartphone and (for most people) with verification codes being texted to the same device is more secure than a laptop. I would have thought it would be desperately insecure.

Personally, I have a non-internet 'dumb phone' as my main phone and my smartphone is a different device so my verification codes will be going to a different device. But I know that's not how most people operate.

poo poo news.

So I an sure the more technologically trained posters will correct me, but when GDPR was coming in we attended a lecture on it.

We were told that to maintain compliance we would have to Encrypt our computers/laptops (so either buy Windows Professional or get a Mac) but not our phones.

When asked why we were told that phones were already encrypted, and that you needed a Pin to unlock and decrypt them.

When then asked what was the point since you needed a Pin or Password to start laptops and got a shrug.

If I had to guess that's probably their reason. That and 2 Factor Authentication is all about using your phones nowadays.

(RIP when Blizzard sold a small dongle authenticate for World Of Warcraft logins.)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You have to log into the banking app before you can use it even if you're logged into the phone, so there's not really any worries there. Any vaguely secure app requires you to verify with pin or fingerprint before you get to any kind of additional text or email verification.

Your phone should be set to lock when the screen goes off, and you can set it to wipe the device after too many failed login attempts if you like as well. Turn on Find My Phone and you can wipe the device as soon as you get to another computer.

Your non-smartphone does not have the same level of OS lockdown and encryption, and it definitely doesn't have as many security features. There's not a lot people can do without your local pin or fingerprint and/or your Google/Apple login, short of wiping the device entirely. Your smartphone is essentially a walled garden where everything has limited ability to interact with anything else. That's the reason why your phone doesn't need antivirus as standard, and even Microsoft are planning to go the same route with the upcoming Windows 10X, which strips out the legacy Windows fluff and locks down everything the same way.

So yes, a smartphone app is more fundamentally secure than a website in a browser. For peace of mind I'd make sure to use a phone with a fingerprint reader, as unlike a pin it's impossible to input without your physical presence.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any idea how these new restrictions apply to public spaces like museums?

Do they have to shut again, or can they stay open because it's only illegal for a group of over 6 people to go "together"?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

If I had to guess that's probably their reason. That and 2 Factor Authentication is all about using your phones nowadays.
Yup, multi factor authentication should be at least two of the following: something you know (PIN or password), something you have (smart card, key, phone), and something you are (fingerprint, voice spectrogram, other more Mission Impossible type things).

Knowing your PIN and having your card (to put into a card sentry type thing from the bank) is good, having your phone and being your fingerprint is better (from an actuarial risk analysis basis, there's ways around both but less likely than phone/email scams for the amount in my Nationwide).

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Banks know that a bunch of their customers will sadly click every phishing email, visit dubious websites and get their home computer filled with malware. Fake scam versions of real bank websites are a super popular one at the moment and catch a surprising amount of people out who go ahead and use their login details as normal.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

josh04 posted:

Reading twitter last night suggested this is an entirely normal thing to be happening during a trial that has snowballed into headline news because journalists are idiots.

It is a normal thing to happen, but you have to take it a lot more seriously when you're potentially talking about vaccinating the entire world.

The (possible) adverse reaction was transverse myelitis, swelling of the soft tissues in the spine, a condition that can apparently go from back pain to paralysis in under 24 hours. If the vaccine that you're making does that to one in 10,000 people then you're potentially talking about paralysing close to a million people if it's administered worldwide

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Banks know that a bunch of their customers will sadly click every phishing email, visit dubious websites and get their home computer filled with malware. Fake scam versions of real bank websites are a super popular one at the moment and catch a surprising amount of people out who go ahead and use their login details as normal.
They'll also forget their password constantly and go to the wrong sites and enter their credit card number, address, date of birth, and the three digits on the back to reset it.

A lot less likely to forget their fingerprints (then again, knowing end users :v:)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/brexistentialc/status/1303394664930840578

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

When asked why we were told that phones were already encrypted, and that you needed a Pin to unlock and decrypt them.

When then asked what was the point since you needed a Pin or Password to start laptops and got a shrug.
The main difference is that if someone stole your laptop or PC, they could take the hard drive out, plug it into any other computer, and access the files almost immediately. You could probably get programs that encrypt hard drives and prevent this, most of them don't encrypt the drive and just turn on extra system-wide password requests, the ones that do are fairly expensive and / or complicated, and most people probably won't bother.

An android based phone encrypts the storage using a key based on your pin / unlock pattern as standard (i think iPhone does something similar). There's no physical drive to remove, so if someone stole your phone, they'd need your pin / fingerprint in order to access any of the data on it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What the gently caress is the point of Starmer

Edit: this was in regards to PMQs, but i guess is broadly applicable

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 9, 2020

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
windows has encrypted drives on Pro and up forever

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I think a lot of laptops now come with encryption by default, at least the TPM/device encryption if not full bitlocker.

At bad as the Android update situation is, I reckon the average smartphone has less malware on it than the average windows pc.

What does need to stop is he use of SMS as the second factor. Stealing mobile numbers is too easy.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Forensic

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What's he (not) done in PMQs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't say I am personally a fan of having to buy a new smartphone to use my bank account.

Or rather buy a smartphone given that I never have.

E: actually thinking about it I've never bought a phone at all.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Some banks still give out physical 2 factor keypads so don't require a phone to use online banking. Nationwide for example.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is that your brewery launch? That's tough news, due to the new gatherings rules?

Yeah, that's the one! Fortunately (?!) I was in the middle of building a load of instagram targeted ads when the news came out so I've at least dodged that expense!

If anyone is a Beer52 subscriber and gets the magazine (Ferment) with it I should be in the next one as well, which is exciting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/georgemonbiot/status/1303651810289299457?s=21

https://twitter.com/kuymulu/status/1303654916024655872?s=21

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Controlled opposition

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It's an incredible industry. Revenue streams I can think of off the top of my head.

Public funding - the journals get public funds
Pay to publish - you have to pay to have your article published
Pay to read - they then sell the journal, and online access to individual articles, including to the people who wrote the articles
Advertising

absolutely astounding

VVVVV start by chucking the article name into https://scholar.google.com/ - there's a good chance you can pick it up there (look for a hyperlink to the right hand side of the article title)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's very profitable when the state and institutions pay people to create things and then you can pay 50p to copy it and charge £50 to access it.

Always :filez: academic papers if you don't have work/uni access, you're not stealing from the people that did any of the work.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Phones have fingerprint scanners and strong encryption that the Home Office hates.

I imagine the Home Office quite likes fingerprint scanners. If you have someone in custody it's very easy to defeat their biometric lock simply by compelling them to supply the biometrics. Extracting a password could be a lot more challenging.

e: ^^academic publishing is a huge scam, I use sci-hub as my first port of call for papers even though I have institutional access to a lot of publishers. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that site could be the most important research tool of the decade.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 9, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1303597060852264960?s=21

Profoundly cursed.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol

https://twitter.com/StigAbell/status/1303657952134541313

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Wittingly or not he's an intelligence asset that successfuly averted democracy

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't know which bank you're using, but mine is giving me the option to use either a phone app or their existing card reader device. So depending on your bank that may be an option. I do not sufficiently trust my phone to put my banking details on it, personally, given the number of 'click on a WhatsApp link and now your phone is entirely compromised' type exploits that exist.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Seems highly effective; if you don’t understand poverty, keep reading the journal until you do.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Take a rough guess at who is responsible:

The answer may not surprise you!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

I imagine the Home Office quite likes fingerprint scanners. If you have someone in custody it's very easy to defeat their biometric lock simply by compelling them to supply the biometrics. Extracting a password could be a lot more challenging.
It's the strong encryption that they hate, because they can't just arrange burglaries to obtain files like they had a habit of doing in the past.

Fingerprint scanners do make it harder to claim that you've forgotten how to access files, but by that point they've likely got you in custody and either have a warrant or are invoking RIPA. Police have been known to snatch phones when a suspect unlocks them to use rather than go through that though.

big scary monsters posted:

e: ^^academic publishing is a huge scam, I use sci-hub as my first port of call for papers even though I have institutional access to a lot of publishers. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that site could be the most important research tool of the decade.
:agreed:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Angepain posted:

Not that I'm clamouring for more Keir Starmer in my life, but monthly seems a bit... sparse. Does it really take 30 days to come up with enough criticism of the tories to fill a press conference?

Whoa there, criticism is a bit optimistic.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Surprise, surprise, our very first shot at a vaccine for a wholly new disease doesn't seem to be working out, despite all the government hype:

https://twitter.com/carlsmcqueen/status/1303467185344479233?s=21

Yea this isn't any proof there's something wrong with the vaccine - it might be unrelated, might only be a risk to those with certain other conditions, might be a 1/100,000 event that doesn't make the vaccine useless - and has no bearing on it's effectiveness. You just can't continue to inject people with it till you know the answers to those questions, which is why vaccine trials take time.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Take a rough guess at who is responsible:

The answer may not surprise you!

Given that editors and reviewers typically work for free, while authors pay a fee (which can be 4 figures per paper) to publish in a journal, and then the journals turn around and charge the same institutions who actually employ all that free labour tens or hundreds of thousands a year for access, I'm honestly surprised their margins aren't higher. Half the journals don't even have a print edition any more, it would seem like their main cost is hosting. It's impossible to overstate just how exploitative even well-respected and mainstream journals are, let alone the so-called predatory publishers.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 9, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Surprise, surprise, our very first shot at a vaccine for a wholly new disease doesn't seem to be working out, despite all the government hype:

https://twitter.com/carlsmcqueen/status/1303467185344479233?s=21

hmm I wonder what happened to "well the government/big pharma will just force them to rush out a vaccine without doing the proper testing"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It migrated to Russia for the autumn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My theory was more that they would probably still buy it and roll it out even if it turned out to be occasionally lethal and if anything the "back to work peons" approach has only strengthened that view.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Well I've developed a chesty cough and my chest feels heavy so I'm basically a hermit for the next few days. Finally got a home testing kit to be sent out after trying all day yesterday and the websites best suggestion to go to a walk in test centre in St Andrews, which isn't exactly next door to Glasgow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Depends on if the illness is 'just a slight sniffley nose' or 'pant making GBS threads full internal hemorrhaging'.