Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Kamrat posted:

Here's one for the world, but I don't know if this one is right either because I thought Australian rules football was the most popular in Australia, I also know that Hockey is more popular in some regions of Sweden than Football.

That obviously doesn't include subdivisions for any places other than USA and Ireland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kamrat posted:

A city like that would require a lot of maintenance due to erosion

It wouldn't after all the inhabitant killed themselves due to the noise.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
From what I remember, half the country prefers rugby and the other half prefers Aussie football, so Cricket becomes the consensus sport as it's everybody's second favourite.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ras Het posted:

That obviously doesn't include subdivisions for any places other than USA and Ireland

Um.

Big Blood Bovine
Apr 24, 2010

Финское качество!

Buddhist majority regions in Russia.

Ethnic majorities in the 1897 Russian census. What I find most interesting here is the extent of Ukrainian majority areas well beyond Soviet/modern Ukraine's administrative borders. I haven't really found out what's the history there. From what I've gathered, ethnic identity/language use has been quite fluid in that area.
And yes, there's was a Ukrainian majority near modern Vladivostok in the Far East.

Crimean Tatar's in Crimea before deportation in 1939 and after in 2001. What is missing here is the situation between 1945-1991, when over 90% of them lived in other parts of the USSR.

Fertility rate in India by district. That's some major variation right there.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

DrSunshine posted:

Tag yourselves. I'm the Achaemid Empire, reborn 31,000 years in the future.

I'm the return of the Aral Sea even after 3/4s of the planet's water is gone.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was reading a book called Moneyland about how tax havens literally enable wealthy people to act like pirates, swooping in and taking wealth and hiding it beyond the reach of any lawman, and how it rots the rest of the entire premise of rule of law.

I was looking for a map of relative corruption of police forces across the UK to see how child-abuse-covering-up tax shelter Jersey rates, and I found this:

The source.

One unit, solely as the result of English conquest and domination over Ireland.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was reading a book called Moneyland about how tax havens literally enable wealthy people to act like pirates, swooping in and taking wealth and hiding it beyond the reach of any lawman, and how it rots the rest of the entire premise of rule of law.

I was looking for a map of relative corruption of police forces across the UK to see how child-abuse-covering-up tax shelter Jersey rates, and I found this:

The source.

LAPD: They might be hella racist, but they're really good at it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

LAPD: They might be hella racist, but they're really good at it.

Say what you will, people murdered by police per capita/officer is a very measurable key performance indicator.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Finland seems to have many places that are called something island that actually aren't even remotely islands. Well I can't think of anything other than Tammisaari (a town on a peninsula) and Vuosaari (a district of Helsinki) now but I'm sure there are more

Tammisaari is weird because the Swedish name is correct. Anyway it's moot because it hasn't existed since 2009 lmao.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
how could the rcmp be bad when they're so funny and wear the jackets and hats

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

The source.

lol

the LAPD literally has cop gangs within its ranks. nowhere in America belongs on that list

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rah! posted:

lol

the LAPD literally has cop gangs within its ranks. nowhere in America belongs on that list

I have something to tell you about the other law enforcement agencies in this list

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I suppose this explains why mapsoftheworld.com shows Krakow to be in East Prussia.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kamrat posted:

A city like that would require a lot of maintenance due to erosion

They can easily afford it with all the white noise machines they're not buying.

Is this real?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have something to tell you about the other law enforcement agencies in this list

just because i only listed one example doesn't mean i think the other departments have no corruption lmao

do you need specific examples from each department or something

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is this real?

Not sure, it was a random image search find.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s shopped as gently caress and the best example of that is perhaps the identical rocks in the mist on both the left and right cascade.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Be it as it may, the question still stands, ARE THOSE ISLANDS, MOTHERFUCKER?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Kamrat posted:

Here's one for the world, but I don't know if this one is right either because I thought Australian rules football was the most popular in Australia,
It's called the Barassi Line. Cricket wins by default because of how evenly split the football codes are in popularity. But cricket is still very popular in its own right.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Those are islets at best

Skerries maybe?

Not proper islands by any stretch of the imagination.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This map has a few pixels.

e: Original at four times scale.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 9, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I like how the underlying map is already like 3600 pixels wide, but then resized to be four times bigger making each pixel 4x4.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah O.K. I was just going to let it stand because it’s smaller than most inlined MP4s, but the sheer megapixels (one hundred and thirteen of them) may be an issue.

e: “There have been some questions about the names of states such as Iowa and Lumbee, among others. For states where either the waterway had already namesaked a city (such as Des Moines) or the waterway had a name that I did not like (such as Pee Dee or Cape Fear), I changed the name of the state to something else.”

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 9, 2020

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

The country as a whole would be messed up, but I can’t help feeling that Illinois comes out ahead in this map.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Platystemon posted:

For states where... the waterway had a name that I did not like (such as Pee Dee or Cape Fear)
This person needs to be in jail.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah the renaming and river delineations seem to be kind of arbitrary

80% of the appalachicola should be the chattahooche. it's not clear why the alabama watershed includes the distinct tombigbee river. why the detroit river and not the rouge river?

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 9, 2020

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im the state of susquehanna which does not contain the susquehanna river

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm the state of california, named after the non-existent california river

to be fair, the southwestern united states is really tough to do with this gimmick

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cowards, could have named Comancheria "Colorado 2" instead. It's the longest river contained solely within the state of Texas, after all.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

No Safe Word posted:

Cowards, could have named Comancheria "Colorado 2" instead. It's the longest river contained solely within the state of Texas, after all.

Also Comancheria barely includes any of Comancheria

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Justice for Connecticut and New Mexico.

Also now it's making me remember some kids I went to school with named Pecos and Brazos.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Wouldn’t Comancheria be like the entirety of Texas to the Rocky Mountains with like South Dakota as well?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

luxury handset posted:

yeah the renaming and river delineations seem to be kind of arbitrary

80% of the appalachicola should be the chattahooche. it's not clear why the alabama watershed includes the distinct tombigbee river. why the detroit river and not the rouge river?

I think that’s the joke re: colonial naming conventions

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
So many snake states. I don't want to live in that reality.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I didn't know there was a Basingstoke in Westphalia.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Big Blood Bovine posted:

Ethnic majorities in the 1897 Russian census. What I find most interesting here is the extent of Ukrainian majority areas well beyond Soviet/modern Ukraine's administrative borders. I haven't really found out what's the history there. From what I've gathered, ethnic identity/language use has been quite fluid in that area.
And yes, there's was a Ukrainian majority near modern Vladivostok in the Far East.

The Holodmor happened.

edit: Also, a policy of Russification, forced migrations, etc.

edit 2: WW2 didnt help either....Its a rough neighborhood.

BigRoman fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 10, 2020

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

BigRoman posted:

The Holodmor happened.

gonna double check the LF archives before i confirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Tag yourselves. I'm the Achaemid Empire, reborn 31,000 years in the future.

We'll always have Paris.