Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

i only have a couple of the other streaming services but I'm constantly amazed by how garbage their apps are considering how much money they throw at trying to beat netflix

all the money is tied up to buying shows for the very services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

skooma512 posted:

CIA Special Activities recruits from SEAL teams and the rest of the special operations community, so he can easily have been both.

thank you for the clarification. your no-prize is in the mail

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1303503928345030656

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That's anti-Italian discrimination

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

StashAugustine posted:

That's anti-Italian discrimination

look they had a choice, either discriminate against italians or risk personally offending Lawrence of My Labia

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That's a very disingenuous take since that's a subcategory of a category that you don't even have to meet if you meet two of the other three categories, which are:

- have at least two "creative leadership positions and department heads" be women, for departments including Costume Designer, Hairstylist, Makeup Artist, and Set Decorator, and have at least one category have a racial or ethnic minority head, OR employ at least six crew members from racial or ethnic minority backgrounds, OR have at least 30% of your crew be part of an underrepresented group
- be produced or distributed by a company that has apprenticeship or internship or training programs for people from underrepresented groups
- be made by a studio that has executives from underrepresented groups

Studios can still make all the all-male, all-white movies they want and have them be eligible for Best Picture as long as they hire a couple female executives and make up internship and training programs for people from groups underrepresented in the film industry, or do the absolute bare minimum by hiring female hairstylists and makeup artists and like one Black sound guy.

I'm not going to say these changes are good or bad in and of themselves, but it's not like they aren't offering a pretty straightforward out for studios that want to keep making the same movies they're making now but remain eligible for their awards.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i cant believe how the discourse around the oscars continues to get worse year after year for decades its incredible how do they do it

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Farm Frenzy posted:

i cant believe how the discourse around the oscars continues to get worse year after year for decades its incredible how do they do it

best picture winner 2018

lol

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The only way to fix the Oscars is to make Academy Members 60%-80% non-American.
If you aren't gonna do that, then you'd have to ban all the white male producers.

Not joking, sorry.

*shrugs*

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

did they ever fix the aspect ratio on the simpsons for disney plus

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

just ban everyone who voted for green book from the academy

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Bro Dad posted:

just ban everyone who voted for green book from the academy

green book is probably a more harmful and hateful movie but I still hate Crash more for how absolutely artless that piece of trash is, it's liberal mush smeared into baby food but intellectually

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Crash might've broke my brain worse than Dubya's warmongering.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Stairmaster posted:

did they ever fix the aspect ratio on the simpsons for disney plus

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
literally just pick panels of random movie buffs but they all watch every film for a year with zizek and go drinking with him after to talk about the films

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Italians are POC though?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
At this point I'm convinced Woke Liberalism is an intentional psyop meant to defame Leftism. This reads like a parody from some fascist "humor" site.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

At this point I'm convinced Woke Liberalism is an intentional psyop meant to defame Leftism. This reads like a parody from some fascist "humor" site.

It's hilariously hard to tell given spy manuals basically describe infiltration and sabotage to be indistinguishable from enthusiastic incompetence

But it's more that the right simply successfully recognises that liberals put incredible amounts of effort into appearing to be woke without actually having to commit to doing anything meaningful. (Where they then trip up is being completely unable to distinguish any meaningful distinctions between liberals and the left)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Hodgepodge posted:

literally just pick panels of random movie buffs but they all watch every film for a year with zizek and go drinking with him after to talk about the films

Hitman (2007) retrospectively awarded best film oscar.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MoaM posted:

The only way to fix the Oscars is to make Academy Members 60%-80% non-American.
If you aren't gonna do that, then you'd have to ban all the white male producers.

Not joking, sorry.

*shrugs*

you say that like the french equivalent didnt give a lifetime achievement award to roman polanski earlier this year
itll have to be your second option

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I just saw the Criterion Idi Amin Documentary.

The man contradicts himself like seven times in an interview. I also liked how he tried to flex on Israel by staging a war games scenario with a few tanks, a helicopter and a crew of ragtags to take a hill.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/halbluchs/status/1303661958315552768?p=v

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what on earth is the point of this they were already nominating a fuckton of movies that fit these definitions the last best picture winner that didnt was spotlight and that movie was literally pretrump

and what are they thinking adding bizarre restrictions like this in a year thats already going to have fuckall releases due to covid19 and so few obvious frontrunners we may well have seven obviously mediocre movies on the list that clearly dont belong there all of which will be derided as being boosted by affirmative action even if they probably would have made it anyway because movies suck and the academys existing rules were already stupid before this

i suspect that these are literally just for show and that the other three standards will be so broad that just about any movie imaginable will meet at least two of them but any actually good movie that doesnt will instantly become a martyr and a considerably bigger public relations crisis than whatever it is they think this is supposed to be mitigating

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

what on earth is the point of this they were already nominating a fuckton of movies that fit these definitions the last best picture winner that didnt was spotlight and that movie was literally pretrump

and what are they thinking adding bizarre restrictions like this in a year thats already going to have fuckall releases due to covid19 and so few obvious frontrunners we may well have seven obviously mediocre movies on the list that clearly dont belong there all of which will be derided as being boosted by affirmative action even if they probably would have made it anyway because movies suck and the academys existing rules were already stupid before this

i suspect that these are literally just for show and that the other three standards will be so broad that just about any movie imaginable will meet at least two of them but any actually good movie that doesnt will instantly become a martyr and a considerably bigger public relations crisis than whatever it is they think this is supposed to be mitigating

the other three standards are so broad that you could meet them by hiring a female hairstylist and a female makeup artist and a couple POC tech guys

also they're delaying the rules coming into effect for like two years or something? I didn't read that part of the article closely

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

duz posted:

you say that like the french equivalent didnt give a lifetime achievement award to roman polanski earlier this year

That post is really about the movies themselves, not masturbatory Lifetime Achievement Awards; also the world is much bigger than Cannes. Disowning Polanski and Woody seems like another discussion in itself.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I love how the biggest most blatant yet at least loosely justified attempt at China pandering has just fallen flat on its face and shat itself

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

anyone else think it was weird that the first half of real steel had hugh jackman idiotically loving himself over with needlessly risky bets but then in the second half the kid does the exact same thing and it works perfectly

especially since their robots a piece of poo poo and its only unique quality is the shadowboxing which is barely used at all in the movie even though its really prominent in the trailer

also the racism out of nowhere loving japanese assholes cornering the rock em sock em robot market

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MoaM posted:

The only way to fix the Oscars is to make Academy Members 60%-80% non-American nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/dunemovie/status/1303729548563902464?s=20

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
it's good

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

do it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dune is gonna be a big, beautiful financial disaster and i can't wait to see it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Looks boring and not nearly weird enough.

the collapse of Hollywood in the wake of COVID would be a good thing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FierceMajeure/status/1147896210012942337

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Heathens, Villeneuve owns

Serf
May 5, 2011

its only the first half of the book too. we're never getting the rest of it lol

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
yeah...

w/e

I've been low-key excited about this movie for like 3-4 years (whenever it was added to imdb as 'pre-production').

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Serf posted:

dune is gonna be a big, beautiful financial disaster and i can't wait to see it

it's a shame the world ended basically right after it came out because the only cinematic timeline i'm interested in is showgirls-like astronomical flops like specifically Cats, which was the best movie of the last decade

Dune has the potential to either be a hilarious bomb like that or pathetic boring garbage like After Earth and I hope it's the former so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

MoaM posted:

Heathens, Villeneuve owns

Villeneuve reminds me of Nolan, in that he makes large scale spectacles that I know intellectually should thrill me, but emotionally I feel nothing. He does have the advantage of not mixing sound on his movies like a twerp tho.