Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vlex posted:

So why was Duncan alive, calling Paul his Duke?

They meet for a bit in the escape . They know the duke is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did we only see like 2 seconds of the baron ?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

Yes, and even then he looks way cooler than the David Lynch adaptation.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

euphronius posted:

there were two shots of him in the trailer, 1:23 and then the mercury bath thing from the promo pic at 1:57

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

euphronius posted:

Was that him emerging from the slime

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Why didn't we get any shots of a cat and a rat duct taped together? I suppose that might be in the second film.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 9, 2020

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the good news is that the nature of hollywood investments these days is that it's almost impossible for them to fail financially now. the market is so big you have to gently caress up pretty badly to lose money

i mean even the world of warcraft movie made triple its money back

Wasn't this mainly because it massively over performed in China? Not saying your point is wrong overall, but that particular example has a lot to do with how insanely popular the game was in China at the time of release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

Was that him emerging from the slime

Yeah, it looked like something out of Apocalypse Now, so it was my favorite part of the trailer.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope that this isn't as boring as Bladerunner 2049.

The trailer looks cool, but I could see how DV could stretch some of these scenes to their breaking point and put people to sleep.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dont know posted:

Wasn't this mainly because it massively over performed in China? Not saying your point is wrong overall, but that particular example has a lot to do with how insanely popular the game was in China at the time of release.

Correct, it did very well in China, but every other market was a complete flop.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Love the trailer, hate the floyd.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Love the trailer, hate the floyd.

Boo!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dr.D-O posted:

The trailer looks cool, but I could see how DV could stretch some of these scenes to their breaking point and put people to sleep.

Lmao what

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

We got beefsign

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

last 30 minutes are the psychedelic orgy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

13 minute scene of Paul reading a filament book Bible

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr.D-O posted:

This is very silly. Blade Runner 2049 is amazing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

last 30 minutes are the psychedelic orgy

I would accept a 6 month delay for this.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Excited for every part of this. Love the shields. Love the new look of the worm, even if Lynch worms will always be iconic to me. Love seeing the 'thopters in flight, and it's exactly how I always imagined it. Loved seeing the Harkonnen/Sardaukar drop out of the sky.

There's a part of my brain that appreciates the Floyd as a callback to the fact they were originally supposed to score the Jodorowsky Dune. But the other part of my brain loving HATES the trend of remaking classic rock with piano/orchestral whispery/children's voices for trailers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uh have you heard Pink Floyd

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I kind of expect it to end on the timeskip but it ending with liet in the desert thinking about how everything works and then pulling out of an overhead shot into the spiceblow that cuts to credits would be a decent stopping point. The culmination of everything going to poo poo and everyone is basically hosed. After that you can start with paul attacking the crawler that gurney is in and go from there.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Stryder posted:

Excited for every part of this. Love the shields. Love the new look of the worm, even if Lynch worms will always be iconic to me. Love seeing the 'thopters in flight, and it's exactly how I always imagined it. Loved seeing the Harkonnen/Sardaukar drop out of the sky.

hard agree on the 'thopters

Stryder posted:

There's a part of my brain that appreciates the Floyd as a callback to the fact they were originally supposed to score the Jodorowsky Dune. But the other part of my brain loving HATES the trend of remaking classic rock with piano/orchestral whispery/children's voices for trailers.

the other part of you is the mind killer

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

euphronius posted:

Uh have you heard Pink Floyd

Yeah. A lot. I am a proggy old fart. And I would rather hear the original version of Eclipse or maybe some of the countless other tracks that Floyd made for other actual soundtracks. Or at least the one orchestrated by Dee (formerly David) Palmer. Or even this version just without the vocals, I guess.

Like... along the same lines, I really like what Ramin Djawadi does with Westworld remixes most of the time. I like the two versions of Paint It Black, and his version of Heart-shaped Box is powerful. But probably because he doesn't try to add twee voices.

Either way, I don't expect Eclipse to be in the actual movie, and I am PSYCHED for this. Conversely, the trailer for Foundation looked pretty drat generic.

Stryder fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 9, 2020

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It is wednesday my dunes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The trailer could have been lifted straight from a Floyd live show in the last 20 years

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

its so good. i like how the capture the scale, too, like millions of soldiers fighting on arrakis.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I just realized they changed Jihad into Crusade because they are cowards.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hype as poo poo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

Gonna start a Twitter fight over whether this is problematic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Herbert uses crusade too

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

this is probably my favorite detail from the trailer because it looks exactly as it's described in the book

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

This is very silly. Blade Runner 2049 is amazing.

Silly or not, that movie put me to sleep. And I love the original.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
me earlier watching the dune trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuW-GLL--KU

Stryder posted:

Either way, I don't expect Eclipse to be in the actual movie, and I am PSYCHED for this. Conversely, the trailer for Foundation looked pretty drat generic.
it's fun they're coming out at the same time, since i've maintained (probably incessantly and to much annoyance to the lurkers) that the plots of these books are the inverses of the other

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I was supposed to get some work done today but instead I'm going to be dune posting all day

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

Will hold off judgment, both crusade and jihad are used in the books.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it's fun they're coming out at the same time, since i've maintained (probably incessantly and to much annoyance to the lurkers) that the plots of these books are the inverses of the other

Yeah my reaction on reading Dune is that it was Foundation from the perspective of the people getting jerked around by the Foundation. (My read on Foundation was that it was Canticle for Leibowitz for materialists)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
wormsign

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

THE TRAILER IS SO GOOD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

i guess it's time to update the OP for the first time in a while.

Anyone who can beat me to a total re-write will get it pasted in place of my thing.

In the meantime I'm gonna at least update it with the trailer cast and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Will hold off judgment, both crusade and jihad are used in the books.

Yeah fair enough