Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mysterious frankie posted:

Villeneuve reminds me of Nolan, in that he makes large scale spectacles that I know intellectually should thrill me, but emotionally I feel nothing. He does have the advantage of not mixing sound on his movies like a twerp tho.
there's just a lot of ennui. it's a french thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Serf posted:

dune is gonna be a big, beautiful financial disaster and i can't wait to see it

Yeah I can't wait and I think its got a good shot of being actually good but I worry its gonna bomb and they'll never finish it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife- to cut off what's incomplete and say, "Now it is complete, because it ended here."
-from "Collected Sayings of Mua'Dib", by the Princess Irulan

Serf
May 5, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I can't wait and I think its got a good shot of being actually good but I worry its gonna bomb and they'll never finish it

villenueve don't miss

there's no doubt in my mind that it will be a huge commercial failure and never be finished. not only is the world ending, its a movie for an incredibly niche audience but it cost 100 million to make

coathat
May 21, 2007

The niche audience of blockbuster sci fi movie fans and the biggest selling sci fi novle of all time

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

we live in the age of marvel, dune is indeed niche

Serf
May 5, 2011

maybe they can make dune popular in 3 months? maybe a movie can somehow make money in the middle of the apocalypse? anything is possible i suppose

e: who knows tho, during the dumb live event leading up to the trailer stephen colbert was like "fan question for jason, who would win in a fight: duncan idaho or khal drogo?" lmao

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Game of Thrones went from a fantasy doorstopper to a huge cultural phenomenon so who knows. I will gladly accept people arguing about whether they're more House Corrino or House Fenrig if we get more Dune out of it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

its a really loving bad movie op

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

Game of Thrones went from a fantasy doorstopper to a huge cultural phenomenon so who knows. I will gladly accept people arguing about whether they're more House Corrino or House Fenrig if we get more Dune out of it
i'm betting my horses on the out-of-print dune RPG rulebook i bought with my allowance money as a kid will go up further in value

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

At this point I'm convinced Woke Liberalism is an intentional psyop meant to defame Leftism. This reads like a parody from some fascist "humor" site.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'd forgotten about the movie but a couple of days ago i found this cover from when the book was serialized

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheEpicDept/status/1303759114904973312

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

oh boy oh boy

https://twitter.com/Ceilidhann/status/1303789499160424459?s=20

(if you're unfamiliar with the context I fully recommend watching Lindsay Ellis' hourlong video on werewolf erotica legal drama)

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

All disney is bad

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Bootleg Trunks posted:

All disney is bad

Bambis pretty good

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

that video rules and you owe it to yourself to watch it

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

mysterious frankie posted:

Villeneuve reminds me of Nolan, in that he makes large scale spectacles that I know intellectually should thrill me, but emotionally I feel nothing. He does have the advantage of not mixing sound on his movies like a twerp tho.

did arrival really do nothing for you? i cried big time at the end honestly

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzItS5BmUNw

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I see my fleshlight has arrived. :smug:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Organic Lube User posted:

I see my fleshlight has arrived. :smug:

Why would you buy a recreation of your mom's vagina?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

dune looks alright but i hope the entire movie doesnt ahve the weird washed out colours that make it look like a ps3 game

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

do good quality copies of ds9 exist, im watching it on streaming and i swear the loving vhs quality is damaging my eyes

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

did arrival really do nothing for you? i cried big time at the end honestly

It was ok but I don’t remember having any strong reactions.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Lol at comparing a very good filmmaker (villeneuve) with a very bad filmmaker (Nolan).

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Wheeee posted:

do good quality copies of ds9 exist, im watching it on streaming and i swear the loving vhs quality is damaging my eyes

nope, series was mastered to VHS in post production and it would cost a million billion dollars to remaster the entire thing using the salt mine archived 35mm reels

CBS could instead make six more poorly received spinoff Trek series with the funds

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I thought we concluded that the HD versions of the shows actually look worse than the lower quality

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

MizPiz posted:

Why would you buy a recreation of your mom's vagina?

You kinkshaming me?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

the most compelling thing about the entire dune series is God Emperor Leto

the Paul story is there to bake the nature of the universe into your mind as you come to understand the magnitude of the change being brought about by Leto's golden path.

these studios are all too cowardly to get as weird as you need to get to capture the essence of the Dune universe. The David Lynch movie barely scratches the surface and should have been twice as long

Jodowarsky's Dune is fun because you can see an earnest attempt to grapple with the strangeness of the material, which is a historical kind of strangeness, like an understanding that the dune universe should look as bizarre as the conquistadors look to us today, but magnified to an absurd degree

this new dune is going to be some low rent mickey mouse candy corn attempt

I bet it won't even do audible inner monologue

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i've said it before: ken burns' dune

just do the whole thing intercut with an in-universe documentary hosted by the princess irulan

Serf
May 5, 2011

dune is probably unfilmable, but if villenueve can somehow convince the poo poo-eating assholes who run poo poo in hollywood to give him a couple hundred million to try, i'm willing to give him my eight bucks to see what he comes up with

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Egg Moron posted:

I bet it won't even do audible inner monologue

I unironically believe more movies should do this

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Serf posted:

dune is probably unfilmable, but if villenueve can somehow convince the poo poo-eating assholes who run poo poo in hollywood to give him a couple hundred million to try, i'm willing to give him my eight bucks to see what he comes up with

Dune is utterly filmable, it's just setting up the hero's journey for the rest to deconstruct. The biggest obstacle is Herbert's inability to write female characters who aren't Lady Jessica.

The series past the first book, on the other hand...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

you're being such a Harkonnen right now

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

Dune is utterly filmable, it's just setting up the hero's journey for the rest to deconstruct. The biggest obstacle is Herbert's inability to write female characters who aren't Lady Jessica.

keep going

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

as a kid, I gave up on Dune Messiah when it opens with a clone being introduced. It turns out its a very good book about Paul moping around and occasionally having a laugh at what a farce imperialism is with Alia.

people seem to have liked Children of Dune as a miniseries but its ultimately about a kid deciding to cover himself in fish until he gets superpowers

also alia is possessed by baron harokonnen because she was in danger of forcing herbert to write a woman who isn't lady jessica

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

i will say, i've been rereading it over the last week and i'm surprised at how in the first 20 pages they basically lay out the whole conspiracy for you with total mustache-twirling villain speeches. its not even close to the whole plot of the book but it is surprisingly clear. i still think the book can't be conveyed in a visual medium because of how much of it is contained within internal thoughts and poo poo, but like i said i'm willing to give villenueve a shot

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Dune > Heretics > Messiah = God Emperor > Chapterhouse > Children.

All other opinions are wrong.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

i will say, i've been rereading it over the last week and i'm surprised at how in the first 20 pages they basically lay out the whole conspiracy for you with total mustache-twirling villain speeches. its not even close to the whole plot of the book but it is surprisingly clear. i still think the book can't be conveyed in a visual medium because of how much of it is contained within internal thoughts and poo poo, but like i said i'm willing to give villenueve a shot

Villeneuves whole career is as if he's been prepping to make Dune. Aronofsky would've been a pretty good option also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Warhammer 40k>Dune