Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Zugzwang posted:

Tbh this doesn't make less sense than many of the rules I had to follow when I was in school ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I see i have been truly blessed by going to school in germany.

Meanwhile the UK continues having a great time, with the health secretary saying some breathtakingly stupid poo poo.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1303588331914223616

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Death secretary’s logic is rear end‐backwards there.

People with symptoms can assume they have the coronavirus and quarantine. If the symptoms become serious, seek medical aid.

We want asymptomatic carriers to be tested and found so they can also be quarantined.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Their priority appears to be getting people who have symptoms but not COVID back to work. My UK friend's kids have classic virus symptoms, got tested, are negative, so are now required to go back to school to infect more people with their influenza or whatever. Those people then have to get tested.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

The entire UK approach seems to be to shift between pulling the plaster off as slowly as possible for maximum pain, and sticking it back down again.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Platystemon posted:

Death secretary’s logic is rear end‐backwards there.

People with symptoms can assume they have the coronavirus and quarantine. If the symptoms become serious, seek medical aid.

We want asymptomatic carriers to be tested and found so they can also be quarantined.
:yeah:

Xaintrailles posted:

Their priority appears to be getting people who have symptoms but not COVID back to work. My UK friend's kids have classic virus symptoms, got tested, are negative, so are now required to go back to school to infect more people with their influenza or whatever. Those people then have to get tested.

Be aware that certain types of tests have fairly high false-negative rates, differing by day of infection, so unless they had multiple negative tests it means little.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The big transmission vectors in Finland have recently been A) schools and B) large gatherings. Schools are starting to switch to remote learning again, but give up large gatherings? Fuuuuuck that!

Some rear end in a top hat morons from a god drat business university in Helsinki are planning on holding a 1000+ person indoor drinking party in the city where most of our COVID cases have originated, and where the disease never really stopped spreading. Currently there are no plans to cancel the event despite public outcry, because "you have to keep living your life".

Some other rear end in a top hat morons from my university also hosted some drinking party a few weeks ago, where hundreds were exposed and at least 15 people have already tested positive.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: this poo poo should literally be illegal.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Mithaldu posted:

Be aware that certain types of tests have fairly high false-negative rates, differing by day of infection, so unless they had multiple negative tests it means little.

I know. They don't tell you the type of test so you can't check false negative rate for yourself, or even mention the possibility on the results email - it directly says "you did not have the virus when the test was done."
It does say to self isolate if you have symptoms but their school apparently wants them back in regardless.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Brazil is currently at the "newsclip montage that plays during the opening credits of a zombie movie" stage

https://twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1303419012450222084

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Oxford vaccine has hit a snag, could be bad news
https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1303443741764661253

GOP goes "Pandemic stimulus? Never heard of her!"
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1303416985565315074

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
In Norway news, infections are rising in my area, bars and restaurants are still open, but they are now forced to register the name of all guests to assist in contact tracing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My local supermarket here in Australia has a thing going where you can scan a QR code to "check-in" at the store as part of a voluntary contact tracking scheme, I think they were even offering a 10% discount on your shop the first time you did it or something.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The press secretary is getting hammered by the media at the moment because Bob Woodward's never ending quest for money led to him holding off on releasing a Trump interview where he admits he purposefully played down the danger of COVID until it was time to release his book with the quote. There's also apparently audio of him saying it and everything, so good luck getting out of this one

Imagine lacking literally any self awareness:

Washington Post posted:

Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, is quoted by Woodward as saying, “The most dangerous people around the president are overconfident idiots,”

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 9, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

The press secretary is getting hammered by the media at the moment because Bob Woodward's never ending quest for money led to him holding off on releasing a Trump interview where he admits he purposefully played down the danger of COVID until it was time to release his book with the quote. There's also apparently audio of him saying it and everything, so good luck getting out of this one

*taps the sign until my finger is bloody*

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He literally responded to the Access Hollywood rapey stuff by saying it wan't him despite there being tape evidence. It changed zero minds.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Freedom ain't free ;)

https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/status/1303404555246465027

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

finally, some evidence that trump is full of poo poo

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Think of all the meth that could have bought.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I’m wondering how they traced all those attendees from Sturgis back to their home states? Are they just using estimates or something? I’m assuming contact tracing isn’t something widely rolled out in the US, and it usually requires people to install the app, which I’d assume many of these people wouldn’t do anyway.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://twitter.com/CNNnewsroom/status/1303731716645937153

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Where's the tweet about him wriggling out of this one again because none of his base (and therefore the GOP in Congress) don't care

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
OK so I have no doubt that Sturgis was a major nexus for new infections.

But this is happening at the same time as return-to-school, which has been a disaster literally everywhere, including in my hometown. So I am really wondering how/if they controlled for that in the study.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Looks like they're going all in and that whole herd immunity idea

https://twitter.com/weinbergersa/status/1303750595724140550

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Diva Cupcake posted:

He literally responded to the Access Hollywood rapey stuff by saying it wan't him despite there being tape evidence. It changed zero minds.
It was uhhhh John Barron.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Lazyfire posted:

Spoiler: He's going to get out of this one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Looks like they're going all in and that whole herd immunity idea

https://twitter.com/weinbergersa/status/1303750595724140550
I mean, in fairness, it's their home countries that should be worried about these travelers' returns.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Cacafuego posted:

Where's the tweet about him wriggling out of this one again because none of his base (and therefore the GOP in Congress) don't care

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Wow, the US not making GBS threads on foreigners and making them jump through extra hoops at the border just because? I never thought I’d see that in my lifetime.

In covid news, the school I teach at has a possible student carrier (was in contact with people who later turned out positive). Aside from informing us that he’s staying home and being tested these days, the administration is not saying much. Every teacher and every student is masked at all times inside the school... except for the cafeteria where students are packed and maskless because there is neither enough room nor enough time to allow them to eat away from each other. They tell us it doesn’t matter because the second they’re out the school they take off their masks anyway.

They’re teenagers, invincible and immortal even in normal times, but they’re acting like they’re all immune. We’re doomed.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/itssophiemorris/status/1303753587214950401

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

I’m wondering how they traced all those attendees from Sturgis back to their home states? Are they just using estimates or something? I’m assuming contact tracing isn’t something widely rolled out in the US, and it usually requires people to install the app, which I’d assume many of these people wouldn’t do anyway.

Probably cell phone data. There were similar maps for spring break.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cacafuego posted:

Yep!

This will change absolutely nothing.

I loving hate everything. God loving drat it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

my brother is going ahead with his wedding :shepicide:

and im a groomsman :negative:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pretty soon this won't matter, cuz no one in their right mind will travel to the US.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

dwarf74 posted:

OK so I have no doubt that Sturgis was a major nexus for new infections.

But this is happening at the same time as return-to-school, which has been a disaster literally everywhere, including in my hometown. So I am really wondering how/if they controlled for that in the study.

They used baseline data for comparable counties. Seriously, everyone should read the paper.

http://ftp.iza.org/dp13670.pdf

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Wow, the US not making GBS threads on foreigners and making them jump through extra hoops at the border just because? I never thought I’d see that in my lifetime.

I'm picturing that Korean cartoon meme with the guy wiping his head with a handkerchiefas he decides between two buttons. Except the guy is Trump and the buttons are labeled "Slow Covid infections in the US to help election chances" and "Spread more Covid to dirty foreigners to make us look less bad."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

numberoneposter posted:

Spend the week before coughing violently any time you talk to him.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

Would this be a bad time to admit you've been smashing out your future in-law? Man, bro's gonna be pissed. Might save some lives though.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

numberoneposter posted:

don't go, bro

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yep!

This will change absolutely nothing.

I loving hate everything. God loving drat it.

I actually wonder if this may actually be something that hurts him for once (how do you bumble a pandemic this bad and still have a chance at an electoral college victory?) due to the debates in three weeks and the Biden campaign has shown a willingness to really press Trump on things in ways Clinton didn't.

Of course, logic doesn't apply to Trump or his voters, so maybe history just endlessly repeats per usual.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My neighbors are giving me the cold shoulder because we skipped an outdoor get to know you street party over the weekend, like 12-15 people. It's kind of because they're all geezers but also because I'm not even hanging out with my friends in those kinds of numbers, so why would I hang out with a bunch of people I don't know? ?

Anyways, I said hi to one yesterday when I was gardening and got an eye roll from a 70 year old back lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

covid cases are super low here and its outdoors and the guest list has been chopped and people arn't travelling too far

but yah im not thrilled because its events like this that are problematic

got an email from my brother and his fiancee about social distancing and wearing masks and table pods????

:shrug: