Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The one bright spot of the show being canceled because of streaming bullshit is that this means it's not being canceled because it's unpopular (it clearly still has a huge fanbase, lots of people all over social media are bummed about it being gone), or because it's too expensive to make, or because anyone in particular wants it gone. It just got canceled on a red tape technicality, so if there's anyway to get around that technicality then there's a lot of reasons to keep the show going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

At the same time if HBO Max can only get a season 8 and not any of the rest of it due to that technicality that seems like it would discourage them from going ahead with it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Irony Be My Shield posted:

At the same time if HBO Max can only get a season 8 and not any of the rest of it due to that technicality that seems like it would discourage them from going ahead with it.

They get S1-7 when the existing deal with Hulu expired, it’s already happened to other shows per one of those articles.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They could make a new season or even multiple. Then when the hulu deal expires, have a big even about all of Venture Bros coming to HBO max or whatever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
All of those tweets from that guy are gone. What did they say?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

“Who wrote this, Henry Darger?” Is my all-time favorite joke in the entire show and I can’t think of it without laughing. Probably because I’ve made similar jokes for like a decade and nobody knew what I was talking about, so when I heard that it was just... perfect. I think that’s part of what I like about this show, is that it’s confident enough with those reference jokes to let them stand on their own and if you get ‘em, you get ‘em.

I just want to know how the hell I knew who Henry Darger was before that episode, because I got the joke and have no clue how.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

- VB was licensed to Hulu for a multi-year deal where it's exclusively on Hulu.
- This conflicts with the corporate desire to have everything streaming on HBO Max
- Thus, anything with a multi-year streaming deal that was not close to expiring was cancelled. VB falls under this umbrella; the cancellation was not out of any desire to really end the show by any party involved in the decision. Just corporate directive.
- However, once a show is cancelled, it can be retooled or renamed in order to be a "new" show, which gets around the above licensing deal with Hulu

So, the speculation is now that VB is "cancelled" in a public declaration and confirmed by all the relevant parties, this will allow them to rename the show and proceed with a "new" show that just happens to have the exact same writers, directors, voice actors, characters, and plotlines, exclusive to HBO Max.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here ya go, I did a screenshot above thread.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mr. Nice! posted:

That he works for HBO Max and said if they cancel the show and start another one it could go on Max. Since it’s a running show it falls under Hulu’s agreement. Then once the show is cancelled they can pull it from Hulu and put it on Max as it’s their IP still. It makes sense in a way if you think Hulu isn’t going to sue the poo poo out of them for skirting around the contract.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

That he works for HBO Max and said if they cancel the show and start another one it could go on Max. Since it’s a running show it falls under Hulu’s agreement. Then once the show is cancelled they can pull it from Hulu and put it on Max as it’s their IP still. It makes sense in a way if you think Hulu isn’t going to sue the poo poo out of them for skirting around the contract.

He basically knows about as much as anyone who read the Variety article:

http://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1303482123064496128

http://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1303482125149110272

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

It makes sense in a way if you think Hulu isn’t going to sue the poo poo out of them for skirting around the contract.

At that point, it becomes a calculus of "how much will this cost us in legal fees?" vs "how much revenue do we expect this show to actually bring?"

Chances are it's just not worth pursuing. Keep in mind that Warner is huge and Hulu as far as I know is still privately owned and is much, much smaller.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
That's a bit aggressive of the schedules guy to start pouring over the other guy's information obsessively, goddamn, I just wanna know if we have VB not dying

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Servaetes posted:

That's a bit aggressive of the schedules guy to start pouring over the other guy's information obsessively, goddamn, I just wanna know if we have VB not dying

They'll definitely shop it around. It all depends on whether or not the production is as expensive as it looked. My guess is "yes, it is very expensive" and they'll run into trouble, but will work something out and we'll get like a 4 episode capstone season if-and-only-if they can secure the rights to the rest of the series.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

At that point, it becomes a calculus of "how much will this cost us in legal fees?" vs "how much revenue do we expect this show to actually bring?"

Chances are it's just not worth pursuing. Keep in mind that Warner is huge and Hulu as far as I know is still privately owned and is much, much smaller.

Hulu is publicly traded, Fox owns a large portion of them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Streaming rights is why The Expanse (and likely Happy!) was cancelled.

All the networks want their own umbrella of content now. First run rights only aren't enough of a draw to fund something anymore, the long term streaming rights is where the money is with everyone and their cousin making a streaming service and need content.

pixaal posted:

Hulu is publicly traded, Fox owns a large portion of them.

No, Fox did own a decent chunk. Now Disney owns almost all of it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Not going to bat for this person or anything, but the Variety article says nothing about Hulu exclusivity factoring into the decision to cancel or the possibility of retooling with a new name

Now, they might still be full of poo poo and the Hulu stuff could be common knowledge (or even more bullshit) but at the very least that's information that's new (at least to this thread)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It is stupid and it sucks, but it does happen. From where I'm standing it looks like HBO Max is trying to kill Hulu and the Adult Swim shows are caught in the crossfire.

I imagine it's also them being pissed off about losing the Fox shows thanks to Disney buying Fox

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Hulu is now owned by Disney

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Hulu is now owned by Disney

And Disney doesn't even want it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Not quite true, they see it as the place to stick all their stuff that doesn't fit the image they want Disney+ to have(well except The Simpson's, that's a bit of an exception)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I also think Hulu isn't actually making profits (yet) so Disney can hang out, raises prices a bit every year and eventually own yet another extremely valuable media arm.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pfft, The Venture Bros? That old show was pretty good, I guess, for the 2000s. But here in the year 202x we're all watching The Real Adventures Of Rusty Venture on HBO Max.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PostNouveau posted:

Disney absolutely wants it. They've doubled down on Hulu since taking over majority control, expanding original content and doing things like FX on Hulu where FX's whole back catalog is on Hulu and shows end up there the day after airing.

Hulu is going to be home to everything under the Disney umbrella that will not fit on Disney+ (which includes a lot of Fox's back catalog). You won't ever see Deadpool on Disney+, but Hulu will likely be the home eventually. The same goes for things like Solar Opposites, adult content stuff that will never go on Disney+.

Disney and Comcast came together and bought out ATT for Time Warner's share and in return Disney has agreed that Comcast can force a buyout of their 33% stake come 2024. That's not a move you make if you don't want complete and total ownership.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My immediate reaction is that Disney is vile, but only because they’re the capitalists closest to winning capitalism at the moment. Really, they’re all vile and I’m glad Doc and Jackson got to find a safe place getting crumbs from the table for so long.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Not that Disney doesn't do some hosed up stuff(like their role in US Copyright Law being the mess it currently is), but honestly they're still fairly clean compared to most of their competition to my knowledge

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

My immediate reaction is that Disney is vile, but only because they’re the capitalists closest to winning capitalism at the moment. Really, they’re all vile and I’m glad Doc and Jackson got to find a safe place getting crumbs from the table for so long.

They're all bad, but I feel like doing the 2020 equivalent of filming a movie in Occupied Poland and then including a literal shoutout to the SS in the credits of said film is a bit much.
Like Disney has been going the extra mile lately to make themselves stand out as evil.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

All this talk of streaming rights is sad. What's some good official venture brothers merchandise for me to wax nostalgic from time to time?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

They're all bad, but I feel like doing the 2020 equivalent of filming a movie in Occupied Poland and then including a literal shoutout to the SS in the credits of said film is a bit much.
Like Disney has been going the extra mile lately to make themselves stand out as evil.

What?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He's mad that Mulan was shot in Xinjiang.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think he's talking about the new version of Mulan

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Shot in Xinjiang and literally included a thank you to the group responsible for rounding up folks to send to the camps. Like it's pretty loving egregious.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Disney absolutely wants it. They've doubled down on Hulu since taking over majority control, expanding original content and doing things like FX on Hulu where FX's whole back catalog is on Hulu and shows end up there the day after airing.

Hulu is going to be home to everything under the Disney umbrella that will not fit on Disney+ (which includes a lot of Fox's back catalog). You won't ever see Deadpool on Disney+, but Hulu will likely be the home eventually. The same goes for things like Solar Opposites, adult content stuff that will never go on Disney+.

Disney and Comcast came together and bought out ATT for Time Warner's share and in return Disney has agreed that Comcast can force a buyout of their 33% stake come 2024. That's not a move you make if you don't want complete and total ownership.

Interesting. I had thought they'd just gotten it as part of the Fox deal.

Hulu was always too good to be true. Not that its catalog was better than other services, but the idea behind it being a cooperative arrangement of huge content producers rather than splitting into a bunch of competing services. Now we're winding up with 30 different services anyway, but it was nice while it lasted.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 9, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
HBO could make a noir miniseries based on Jonas's pre-superscience days as a speculative millinery engineer, and show how he went from a slovenly, alcoholic maker of experimental hats to a full-on superscientist thanks to a murder involving a crazy hat designer kidnapping and killing a baby.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PostNouveau posted:

Interesting. I had thought they'd just gotten it as part of the Fox deal.

Hulu was always too good to be true. Not that its catalog was better than other services, but the idea behind it being a cooperative arrangement of huge content producers rather than splitting into a bunch of competing services. Now we're winding up with 30 different services anyway, but it was nice while it lasted.

It was crazy when you get watch a new episode of TV 7 days after it aired, and even more crazy when they started putting out episodes the next day. Compared to netflix (at least in the US) where you had to wait nearly until the next season was about to premiere to even see the last season.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

HBO could make a noir miniseries based on Jonas's pre-superscience days as a speculative millinery engineer, and show how he went from a slovenly, alcoholic maker of experimental hats to a full-on superscientist thanks to a murder involving a crazy hat designer kidnapping and killing a baby.

Didn't Dr. Girlfriend try to do a crazed milliner gimmick at one point? She could have been doing a callback! A precognitive callback! A... precallback!

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

HBO should pick up the Colonel Gentlemen spinoff series they talked about in the season 1 commentary where they were just trying to write the most obscene gay pick up lines they could think of while doing Sean Connery impressions.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cojawfee posted:

It was crazy when you get watch a new episode of TV 7 days after it aired, and even more crazy when they started putting out episodes the next day. Compared to netflix (at least in the US) where you had to wait nearly until the next season was about to premiere to even see the last season.

Sometimes. Other times you’re waiting for like 9 months for a new episode of American Dad.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Case in point: when the hell is the UK getting season 2 of Harley Quinn, we were only airing season 1 when the US was airing the second.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Down for either of the above spin offs, like somebody said though we should have a Triad one too, either present or back when they were in their prime.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just bought season 1on YouTube. I'm doing my part! Someone create a petition for me to sign.

The cancellation is getting a lot of play on Twitter it seems, so we might be in luck yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
I'm not exactly holding my breath for an HBO continuation because I don't except Doc or Jackson will (or should) accept anything less than complete creative control. I'd rather have no ending than one where the network gives input to the effect of "Doc is too unlikeable" etc.

Basically I want to remember The Venture Bros as a perfect show and not something that got weird and watered down like what happened to Arrested Development.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 9, 2020