Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Need help from people with more experience in the full ev world . I am looking between a Kona Ultimate EV or a Model 3 Long Range. The Model 3 has some more range and AWD, however I am still very wary of the whole tech company making cars. The drivetrain warranty is pretty comparable between Hyundai and Tesla. What are the out of pocket repair costs for Teslas? I have heard the horror stories about the Model X windshields and $$$$$ but nothing else. Are all the other areas of the Tesla reliable?

Boils down to worries over car company making electric car or tech company making electric car.

The model 3 has a 4 year warranty with 8 on the Powertrain, and its only been in wide distribution for 2.5 years so there's no real long term data yet. RZA is 100% correct you're at the mercy of your local service center-- I did have an issue just after taking delivery 2 years ago and they got it taken care of pretty quickly. More recently, I had a dead 12v and they came out the next day and swapped it for free even though that's supposed to be a wear item. Other than those problems there's been nothing else.

Both of the above issues would have been dramatically more annoying with some of the service center waits I've heard about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Need help from people with more experience in the full ev world . I am looking between a Kona Ultimate EV or a Model 3 Long Range. The Model 3 has some more range and AWD, however I am still very wary of the whole tech company making cars. The drivetrain warranty is pretty comparable between Hyundai and Tesla. What are the out of pocket repair costs for Teslas? I have heard the horror stories about the Model X windshields and $$$$$ but nothing else. Are all the other areas of the Tesla reliable?

Boils down to worries over car company making electric car or tech company making electric car.

Out of pocket repair costs on either of these cars is going to be your insurance deductible if they need any significant repair. Some youtuber backed his model 3 into the corner of the garage and broke a tail light/did some damage to the rear quarter panel, it was like $12,000 to get it fixed. The bigger problem they had was that it took like 2-3 months to complete repairs.

Basically any car up in the $50k range is going to be expensive to repair, definitely not unique to Tesla. Just ask my neighbor how much it costs to service his Mercedes (because drat!).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

McStephenson posted:

To be clear: this is a bunch of license plates taped/ratchet strapped in the car?

No, it looks like a heat exchanger.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The only thing weird is the little pieces of wood, maybe.

Update on the Model 3 cabin air filter. It's definitely not activated charcoal (or it's used up) but I didn't hack up a lung driving through Hell, Oregon. Great success.

Also self driving is a joke

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

McStephenson posted:

To be clear: this is a bunch of license plates taped/ratchet strapped in the car?

Elviscat posted:

No, it looks like a heat exchanger.

Yeah it's a heat exchanger, the issue is they took some trim from home depot (or wherever) to ensure the metal strap didn't destroy the heat exchanger. Obviously an afterthought, it was not engineered that way, but that probably means the ones without the home depot "improvement" are going to have problems in the future.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

McStephenson posted:

No, this is one of the heat exchanger stacks. You can see the A/C refrigerant lines right to the left of it.

Edit: Beaten several times over...

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
There's a few people on TMC that have posted out of warranty costs of repair and they are high:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/existing-warranties-are-starting-to-end-everyone-ready-for-repair-costs.200520/#post-4849590

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/power-conversion-system-pcs-failure.200198/#post-4846172

I'm personally worried about the PCS in the long term on my 3. It was replaced in Aug 2019 and worked fine. Now within in the last month my car sometimes will only charge at 16 out of 32 amps and likely will need the PCS replaced again.

mysteryberto fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 9, 2020

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

cynic posted:

Picked up a Kia Niro EV today. 'Engine' bay is kinda interesting. Rest of the car is pretty boring, but competent.

I like disturbing the neighbors with the 85db backup sound. Impressive. :-)

Coming from a 2000 Toyota Echo 5 speed manual everything to this feels like science fiction.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

Yeah it's a heat exchanger, the issue is they took some trim from home depot (or wherever) to ensure the metal strap didn't destroy the heat exchanger. Obviously an afterthought, it was not engineered that way, but that probably means the ones without the home depot "improvement" are going to have problems in the future.

The other HX doesn't have one, so I'm curious why this one wood :haw: I'm a little suspicious of the picture's source, if it was done to hold that HX in place because the base plate is cracked or something that's fuckin' unforgivable.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

The other HX doesn't have one, so I'm curious why this one wood :haw: I'm a little suspicious of the picture's source, if it was done to hold that HX in place because the base plate is cracked or something that's fuckin' unforgivable.

There are a ton of pictures from other people in the linked thread. The wood is cut up interior trim. Is there any reason that's bad?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If you look through the whole thread you'll see multiple other owners have them, sometimes in different colors!

efb

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Charles posted:

There are a ton of pictures from other people in the linked thread. The wood is cut up interior trim. Is there any reason that's bad?

:psypop:

On closer look, it's actually plastic foam molding, which, uh, won't rot I guess?

It's really bad:

1) they're using band-it pallet strapping to secure a component, that poo poo is meant to temporarily strap stuff to a pallet, not permanently affix car components, it'd be like securing internal trim pieces with packing tape.

2) it is universally made of untreated steel, and will rust quickly and badly

3) it is very hard, and through long-term vibration will eventually eat through that cheap trim board and eventually through the heat exchanger underneath, indeed other pictures in that thread show it installed just over that foam backed tape they're using as abrasion protection, I would bet good money the reason they ran to Home Depot and bought trim, is because cars are already coming back with warranty repairs for failed cooling systems due to the above.

4) it is simply incredibly unprofessional, it is the type of repair/bodge you would expect from a man in a trailer, under the influence of methamphetamine.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Charles posted:

Because it's the kind of jury rigged solution you'd expect from a 1970s Chevette not a $55k 21st century car?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Its a roadkill fix straight from the factory

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Elviscat posted:

4) it is simply incredibly unprofessional, it is the type of repair/bodge you would expect from a man in a trailer, under the influence of methamphetamine.

Appears to check out

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

lmao what the hell is that

There is plenty to rag on tesla about (see above), and musk is 1000% a gigantic rear end in a top hat moron, but holy poo poo that blog post looks like some grade A conspiratorial bullshit. I have no doubts the dude does too many of the wrong drugs and not enough of the right ones, but I seriously hope you aren't "informing" yourself by reading what appears to be some random, anonymously sourced blog. Like, you don't have to dive into crazy land to dig up poo poo to make musk look dumb, he does that on his own. I swear the people that go on and on about how tesla is going to get shut down for fraud any minute now have got the same energy as the people waking up every day expecting to see hillary perp walked for child trafficking.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
F ChargePoiint

It’s been a week since my office called about this nonsense for an apartment they rent.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

That's not really chargepoint's fault, though. :shrug: The station owner has to deal with it. They basically just supply EVSE and billing, but otherwise offload all responsibility to the customer.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Has anyone here had any luck getting an apartment complex to install a charging station? I’ve brought it up with management at my place a few times and nothing seems to come of it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Lucid Air launch is later today. The claimed performance specs are pretty good, I feel a bit sceptical but it will be interesting to see what they say.

The executive deckchair option looks ridiculous.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

knox_harrington posted:

The Lucid Air launch is later today. The claimed performance specs are pretty good, I feel a bit sceptical but it will be interesting to see what they say.

The executive deckchair option looks ridiculous.

"launch"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I feel like you shouldn't be able to call it a launch if a customer can't walk out the door with product in hand.

Reveal, okay. Launch, bullshit.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

lmao what the hell is that

There is plenty to rag on tesla about (see above), and musk is 1000% a gigantic rear end in a top hat moron, but holy poo poo that blog post looks like some grade A conspiratorial bullshit. I have no doubts the dude does too many of the wrong drugs and not enough of the right ones, but I seriously hope you aren't "informing" yourself by reading what appears to be some random, anonymously sourced blog. Like, you don't have to dive into crazy land to dig up poo poo to make musk look dumb, he does that on his own. I swear the people that go on and on about how tesla is going to get shut down for fraud any minute now have got the same energy as the people waking up every day expecting to see hillary perp walked for child trafficking.

It was a joke but half this thread is on the spectrum so...

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Has anyone here had any luck getting an apartment complex to install a charging station? I’ve brought it up with management at my place a few times and nothing seems to come of it.

Where do you live? Virginia, New York, Florida, Oregon, Colorado, Hawaii & California any of those states you are (within reason and pending certain other qualifications per state [California requires at least 5 spaces at the property, and for there to not already be a certain number of spots that can be used as EV charging) have it as law that a renter can install EVSE (generally at renters expense) without the property owner/manager being able to say no

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Westy543 posted:

That's not really chargepoint's fault, though. :shrug: The station owner has to deal with it. They basically just supply EVSE and billing, but otherwise offload all responsibility to the customer.

You're right. My office called the apartment management a week ago and was assured that I would be added to the list.

So anyway, I found a space next to a 'hidden' 110v so I have been charging since yesterday. Using the bike to get around. The Niro is already ar 77% and will hit 90% before I roll in with my Brompton tonight (I set the limit to 90% for AC charging).

So thanks for the free electrons apartment management!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

mysteryberto posted:

I'm personally worried about the PCS in the long term on my 3. It was replaced in Aug 2019 and worked fine. Now within in the last month my car sometimes will only charge at 16 out of 32 amps and likely will need the PCS replaced again.

My Model 3's onboard charger is capable of 48A continuous but I'm only charging at home with 32A, hopefully this'll reduce the overall wear of the charger.

Edit: So far, I've had to manually repair my broken screen. Since it's my fault, I didn't want to take my car to Tesla's Service Center, and I ordered a used screen off eBay for $300, swapped screens in about 30 minutes, and it's as good as new.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 9, 2020

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

Where do you live? Virginia, New York, Florida, Oregon, Colorado, Hawaii & California any of those states you are (within reason and pending certain other qualifications per state [California requires at least 5 spaces at the property, and for there to not already be a certain number of spots that can be used as EV charging) have it as law that a renter can install EVSE (generally at renters expense) without the property owner/manager being able to say no

Oh poo poo, I’m in Colorado I’ll have to look into this

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Oh poo poo, I’m in Colorado I’ll have to look into this

https://advance.lexis.com/documentp...74-7cb43b95b1a0

oof lexis links are awful

anyway: looks like yours is actually more generous than california's as long as the lease doesn't explicitly prohibit installing EVSE

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 9, 2020

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah this kind of crap is where established car makers really need to sort their poo poo out.

I mean car brokers exist for people who want a decent deal without negotiating themselves.

My personal experience with with four different luxury brands have always been positive. I always negotiate a price over email(used a broker twice) and I'm in and out the dealership in half an hour.

Then again I don't bother with lovely local dealers here and always go straight for the big volume dealers in Los Angeles with salesmen looking to hit those volume targets, so ymmv.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Here's my experience with car dealerships: I've never enjoyed how I'd almost always have a scummy salesman trying to close a sale whenever I wanted to see a car up close or test drive it. I think the next time I'm interested in a car, I'm going to hire one one Turo for a day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i had a real chill experience buying a car the last time

stevewm
May 10, 2005
When I bought my Volt I told the guy before we even sat down that if there where any upsells, tacked on bullshit like warranties, paint protection, etc.. I walk. It appeared to have worked, they didn't even ask. I did have to sign the paper turning down the warranty, but they didn't ask about it. The "sales guy" had no idea what the car was, why it had a plug, etc... Just your typical dealers don't know PHEVs/EVs bullshit. (This same dealer currently has a lot full of 2020 Bolts ordered without DCFC, lol) They did get kinda pissy when I introduced some stacking discounts I had at the last moment and they had to cut another 1k off the price. The finance guy said "Wouldn't you just rather have a Malibu instead?" I like to feel I won against a dealership that day...

Quite the different experience to when I bought my previous vehicle... They had tacked on about 3k in add-on junk and were not taking no for an answer until I stood up and walked out of the office. They removed it then, though in hindsight I shoulda just kept going just as a gently caress you to them. Assholes.....

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 9, 2020

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Gamesguy posted:

I mean car brokers exist for people who want a decent deal without negotiating themselves.

My personal experience with with four different luxury brands have always been positive. I always negotiate a price over email(used a broker twice) and I'm in and out the dealership in half an hour.

Then again I don't bother with lovely local dealers here and always go straight for the big volume dealers in Los Angeles with salesmen looking to hit those volume targets, so ymmv.

I used a broker for my last purchase, was $500. Worth it just for the time savings alone, and he got a really low price. All said and done i was in and out in 1.5 hours.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I looked for a broker last year but couldn't find any in our area. All I found were scumbag used car dealers pretending to be brokers.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Lucid had their event for the Air today. Starts at $80k for mystery specs. $169k gets you 465-503 miles of range, 2.5 second 0-60 and a 9.9 second quarter mile. Targeting first deliveries in spring 2021. https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/9/21429319/lucid-motors-air-electric-sedan-price-specs-range-reveal

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The specs on the Lucid are great but that pricing is challenging. The Lucid will arrive as the most expensive models in Q2 2021 ($169,000 amd $139,000) and the cheapest Lucid won't be available until 2022. At $80k, the cheapest Lucid Air is more expensive that the highest trim tri-motor AWD Cybertruck at $69,900 which is supposed to have 500+ mile range and less than 2.9 sec 0-60. Even the Model S Performance is $94,990. I know people aren't going to cross shop a pickup against a sedan but I just wanted to highlight the pricing differences. I would expect it to capture some Taycan and Model S sales but that's a relatively small market.

EDIT: Thanks for the link to the Verge article. I didn't realize that the Saudi sovereign wealth fund was the majority owner of Lucid now.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 10, 2020

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Yuns posted:

The specs on the Lucid are great but that pricing is challenging. The Lucid will arrive as the most expensive models in Q2 2021 ($169,000 amd $139,000) and the cheapest Lucid won't be available until 2022. At $80k, the cheapest Lucid Air is more expensive that the highest trim tri-motor AWD Cybertruck at $69,900 which is supposed to have 500+ mile range and less than 2.9 sec 0-60. Even the Model S Performance is $94,990. I know people aren't going to cross shop a pickup against a sedan but I just wanted to highlight the pricing differences.

As skeptical as I am of Lucid managing to become a legitimate automaker I’m even more skeptical that the cyber truck will exist in anything like the described form at the stated price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'll be curious if Lucid manages to do that spec at that price point. It's a lot easier to build a really expensive car than a mass market car, so this will be an interesting benchmark.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

As skeptical as I am of Lucid managing to become a legitimate automaker I’m even more skeptical that the cyber truck will exist in anything like the described form at the stated price.

From dealing with them they're better than Tesla but that's a low bar. I'm hoping they do ok because the car's grown on me since the first time I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pretty funny that family saloon cars are now (maybe) posting Bugatti Veyron 1/4 mile times.

The styling doesn't do a lot for me, though better than the Model S "stretched Mondeo" design. Going straight in at that kind of car seems like a tall order.