Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

The Swedish Elder care system of "underpaid overworked people that dart around town visiting 30 old/sick/weak people in their homes a day" is a disaster here.

On top of the actual elder homes failing to keep Covid from spreading like wildfire even well after they went into full security mode.

It is not only within the elder care. A friend working with grocery store logistics had a number of colleagues without underlying symptoms pass away due to a combination of stress at work and making ends meet.
The inclination for calling in sick when you are the sole provider for your family is rather low, especially if you are not permanently employed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

It is likely due to systematic issues within the Swedish elderly healthcare system

Cardiac posted:

Simply since kids are not a risk group

Cardiac posted:

it has disappeared within a year or so.

Oh baby it's a triple

Katt posted:

The Swedish Elder care system of "underpaid overworked people that dart around town visiting 30 old/sick/weak people in their homes a day" is a disaster here.
On top of the actual elder homes failing to keep Covid from spreading like wildfire even well after they went into full security mode.
Let's watch as a nominally left gov does absolutely nothing about this.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 5, 2020

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Cardiac posted:

On the other hand, the closing of schools in other countries have been a bad and reactionary action. Simply since kids are not a risk group and keeping kids at home while parents work from home full time is not really a good solution for anyone. Especially given that teachers in Sweden are not over represented among the COVID cases.

I think the schools closing helped here in denmark to give a sense of we are not loving around any more. I remember as it began spreading in Italy there still was some reluctance in closing events.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiac posted:

On the other hand, the closing of schools in other countries have been a bad and reactionary action. Simply since kids are not a risk group and keeping kids at home while parents work from home full time is not really a good solution for anyone. Especially given that teachers in Sweden are not over represented among the COVID cases.

So the covid outbreak we have had in schools and kindergartens are just psychosomatic?

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

vuk83 posted:

I think the schools closing helped here in denmark to give a sense of we are not loving around any more. I remember as it began spreading in Italy there still was some reluctance in closing events.

Yeah, schools closing is instrumental to lowering the activity level of society, and forcing obnoxious employers to accept work-from-home arrangements. Especially as it also included daycare, kindergarten, high schools, vocational skills and higher education. It was part of an overall attempt to get people to stay at home and outside.

The benefit of shutting down these things is also that the ones who don't have the option of working from home can have their kids looked after / in school under much safer circumstances. It's not a binary thing. My mother is a teacher and she had a small group of kids at school on daily basis - because their parents couldn't stay at home.

So it's very misleading to just look at infection rates among children and conclude on the effect of school closing interventions directly from that. That's also true for other interventions - they don't make sense in a vacuum. The Swedish strategy of focusing on voluntary measures to reduce infection rates is contingent on a host of initiatives across society - so when other countries just pick the laissez faire parts and conclude that doing nothing is the best strategy, that's a huge disservice to the Swedish strategy. I have my misgivings about it, for sure, but it's being really unfairly presented in other countries - from both sides of the fence.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

National football team wanted to show support for BLM.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/fodboldlandsholdet-vil-knaele-mod-racisme-latterligt-mener-df-ordfoerer

quote:

Det er latterligt, og jeg synes, man pisker en unødig stemning op omkring et problem, der ikke er i Danmark, siger DF's kulturordfører, Pernille Bendixen.

Don't want to whip up sentiment, says woman who dined with Fjordman.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

vuk83 posted:

Well, you don’t really need to close down schools to achieve that. It is not like daycares or schools were business as usual this year.
Or to put it like this, all kids down to an age of 2-3 years are drilled in washing hands and the winter vomiting disease ended 7 weeks early this year.

Speaking of Italy, based on histories from my wife’s Italian colleagues I can say that a couple working full time from home with two small kids and living in an apartment that you can’t leave is a special kinda hell. Especially as you have no alternative.

So yeah, not closing down schools was a good thing. Nota bene, both gymnasiums and universities went over to distance schooling.
Also, we are 3 weeks into schools being open with no massive (so far) increase in number of COVID cases.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alhazred posted:

So the covid outbreak we have had in schools and kindergartens are just psychosomatic?
No you see the fatality rate among 0-5 is only .1% so it's okay to throw 1 in 1000 kids to the wolves. Wolves need to eat you see, and none of these kids have relatives.

We've just now been surpassed by the US in fatalities/pop but someone it's still OK to have kids with sick untested siblings to attend school normally. poo poo is insane.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 5, 2020

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

No you see the fatality rate among 0-5 is only .1% so it's okay to throw 1 in 1000 kids to the wolves. Wolves need to eat you see, and none of these kids have relatives.

We've just now been surpassed by the US in fatalities/pop but someone it's still OK to have kids with sick untested siblings to attend school normally. poo poo is insane.

Are you predicting 1 in 1000 children will be dead by the end of the year or some similar timeframe? So far there have been literally 0 deaths under the age of 20 from covid in Sweden, but I guess the remaining 2400 will be coming any day now according to extremely sane Twitterthink :thunk:

Meanwhile, UNICEF is screaming their heads off about the disastrous effects this new and improved way of handling a pandemic is having on children's health worldwide. But no one cares when all that matters is being Tough On Virus™.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
taking children out of school is unprecedented and id rather risk giving them and their families exciting new diseases

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

schools are not universally populated by children, and children do not exclusively interact with their age group

the 'kids don't die from covid so schools must be open' argument is extremely incomplete, and while it may be correct in the end i've never seen anyone bother to develop it

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I thought it was established that while it is rare kids and teens get full-blown covid they are just as much at risk for getting all manners of secondary issues even if "just" being carriers, some of which literally leave scars for life? Or did I just dream this?

Not to mention the whole carrier thing, or the poor teachers and everything else surrounding schools.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I thought it was established that while it is rare kids and teens get full-blown covid they are just as much at risk for getting all manners of secondary issues even if "just" being carriers, some of which literally leave scars for life? Or did I just dream this?

Not to mention the whole carrier thing, or the poor teachers and everything else surrounding schools.

Wake up buddy

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Even if they're less likely to suffer secondary issues, the apparent prevalence of myocarditis in even people who present no outward symptoms would be a cause for concern. And something that you're not gonna see if your medical authorities operate under the assumption of "the kids are fine".

Like, how many kids with debilitating heart issues that drastically cut down on their quality of life is acceptable? How big a drop in the life expectancy of that cohort is fine? Direct deaths are not the only issue, and might turn out to be the lesser issue in the long run.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

You also have to consider where all the kids will go if you close schools. Tons of people will have to stay home with them, that includes estimated thousands of medical staff.

Not to mention the thousands of kids that will be pawned off on their grandparents who should isolate and not have people moving between them and the rest of society.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

MiddleOne posted:

Wake up buddy
Mmmgghn, just one more hour, Mom. :v:

But yeah, it's perhaps more complex a question than I thought, though I'll say I personally feel that health at least trumps economics. After that it's still an issue over where kids should go etc. if parents can't be at home (though overaggressive reopening of stuff during a pandemic seems daft too).

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Katt posted:

You also have to consider where all the kids will go if you close schools. Tons of people will have to stay home with them, that includes estimated thousands of medical staff.

Not to mention the thousands of kids that will be pawned off on their grandparents who should isolate and not have people moving between them and the rest of society.

The schools in Danmark were closed for all non essential personnel.
All essential personnel could still get their children looked after

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Katt posted:

Tons of people will have to stay home with them, that includes estimated thousands of medical staff.

No it doesn't. I work in a kindergarten and we had to open up for essential personell (which included medical staff).

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Alhazred posted:

No it doesn't. I work in a kindergarten and we had to open up for essential personell (which included medical staff).

Yeah well we kept them all open and zero kids died so there ya go.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Katt posted:

Yes, it was a resounding success.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Katt posted:

My guy did you take a peek at preschools during the worst of the epidemic? They were all running at like 15% capacity.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Apropos of things, I tested myself last Thursday due to having a cough and feeling some malaise and being adviced to go do so when I contacted my doctor's office. Still haven't gotten my results yet though, which is annoying, though at least (besides still having a bit of a cough) I feel more or less fine.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Randarkman posted:

Apropos of things, I tested myself last Thursday due to having a cough and feeling some malaise and being adviced to go do so when I contacted my doctor's office. Still haven't gotten my results yet though, which is annoying, though at least (besides still having a bit of a cough) I feel more or less fine.
Glad you're good.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Glad you're good.

*well

:v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm gonna wring yer neck bud

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

My guy did you take a peek at preschools during the worst of the epidemic? They were all running at like 15% capacity.

Not at mine and I have never had to so little VAB during the spring, in all likelihood due to better hygiene and routines at the daycare.
But then again, you are in Stockholm.

My initial opinion on how to contain the pandemic in Sweden would have been to put the whole of Stockholm in strict quarantine, and blocking the bridges and tunnels and I feel vindicated by what happened.
I am certain this is a sacrifice that the rest of Sweden would have been fine with.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiac posted:

My initial opinion on how to contain the pandemic in Sweden would have been to put the whole of Stockholm in strict quarantine, and blocking the bridges and tunnels and I feel vindicated by what happened.
I am certain this is a sacrifice that the rest of Sweden would have been fine with.
Yeah, that seems like the swedish corona policy:"let's figure out which group of people we're willing to sacrifice."

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cardiac posted:

My initial opinion on how to contain the pandemic in Sweden would have been to put the whole of Stockholm in strict quarantine, and blocking the bridges and tunnels

That's a good idea even without a pandemic.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Då äntligen slipper vi alla lantisar

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mere "begge sider er lige slemme" fra DR.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/udland/til-mindehoejtidelighed-draebt-trump-stoette-urolighederne-er-som-en-stammekrig

Det er en skændsel.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Well, one side is just trying to literally exterminate everyone who isn’t them. The other side wants to stop that, sometimes using violence! Bing bong so simple, two sides to every story. Journalists are such useless shitholes.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Gutting DR was an antifascist move.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm gonna wring yer neck bud

No jury in the world would convict you if you did tbh

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

Glad you're good.

Well, tested negative at least. But test took almost a week to process, because last week was kind of crazy for both number of tests done and number of new cases. None in my municipality though as far as I'm aware.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Randarkman posted:

Well, tested negative at least. But test took almost a week to process, because last week was kind of crazy for both number of tests done and number of new cases. None in my municipality though as far as I'm aware.
Aces. I've been down with flu symptoms for almost a week, so I'm due for an antibody test next week.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

McCloud posted:

No jury in the world would convict you if you did tbh

Nämndemän on the other hand....

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Friend of mine had one of his students test positive. He can't get tested until Monday.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I was considering paying for a test just out of curiosity but it seems pointless now that it's been thoroughly confirmed that having had it doesn't give you immunity.

So if I get tested and "Had it" I could still get it but if I get tested and don't currently have it then I might have caught it since the test. It changes nothing when it comes to how I should behave in everyday life.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Katt posted:

I was considering paying for a test just out of curiosity but it seems pointless now that it's been thoroughly confirmed that having had it doesn't give you immunity.

Wait, what, COVID? Wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Katt posted:

My test was free. Also taking the test isn't about making sure you had it to see if you are immune, it's making sure I don't have it so I can return to work and not risk infecting everyone and causing the place I work at (a high school) to be locked down with hundreds in quarantine.