Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Fury Road was in the same desert scenery and super bright which actually made it look hot and miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Bland desaturated color palate is the complete opposite of what Dune should be.

Yeah, that's really my only gripe from the trailer. I feel like I missed a ton of detail because there's having a dark color palette and then there's "no one can actually see what the gently caress is going on," and it leaned too much in the latter direction for my taste.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Ok, so I have lost quite a lot of apprehensions here. Shields look cool, fighting looks appropriate, masks on (even if just to be taken off), and Bless the maker and His water. Bless the coming and going of Him. May His passage cleanse the world. May He keep the world for His people.

But... Still no Hawat or Feyd. Lovely Bautista looking more and more likely.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Hawat was the dude with the umbrella.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
As much as I would have preferred a warmer color palette, I'm not really sure it would fit the brutalist aesthetic of this version.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I'm missing all the bright colors such as Sand, Stillsuit, Dirt, Sandstorm, Worm, and, occasionally, Stone

I agree that Caladan should have looked like going to Oz for the first time, though, by comparison

Movies and trailers are colored by different finishers

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Don't doxx my beefpix, wtf

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I also would have liked a stronger blue-in-blue effect for the eyes of chani but that is a nitpick

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Jesus In A Can posted:

Hawat was the dude with the umbrella.

Can you give me a timestamp?

Nevermind found it at 1:15 of the official trailer

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

exmachina posted:

Can you give me a timestamp?

1:15, after they land and right before Duncan is shown going "MAH BOI," he's in the background between Paul and Gurney, shorter guy, with the white umbrella.

e: Kull Wahad!

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

As much as I would have preferred a warmer color palette, I'm not really sure it would fit the brutalist aesthetic of this version.

Also I wouldn't mind it if the ext. Shots are washed out, but the sietch should be very warm palette

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Takeaway from this is that the worms are loving perfect tho

Edit: the pose at the end was kinda contrived but you have to put the money on screen sometimes so I can forgive it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

magic cactus posted:

harry potter for white men in their mid 30's with depression
so the ultimate goon movie

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

exmachina posted:

Also I wouldn't mind it if the ext. Shots are washed out, but the sietch should be very warm palette

Rewatching the trailer, and the one from Blade Runner 2049, I think we are going to have a lot of different atmospheres in this movie. Clearly not overexposed and hypersaturated like Fury Road, but still a good variety of lighting and colors.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

magic cactus posted:

Yeah I can understand under that context why they'd keep it, and I can also understand why they need to set up a good/evil dichotomy to get butts in seats. I just I'm mildly worried we're gonna get "harry potter for white men in their mid 30's with depression" to quote that one tweet, versus the sort of nuanced examination of "great man" theories of history the books were going for. I trust Villenueve though.

Also I can see them putting more emphasis on how much of a good guy is Paul in the second movie, so build him up as a capital H Hero in the first

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ersatz posted:

How do the Foundation books hold up these days? Read Dune 1-4 this summer and loved them, and your description of Foundation has me intrigued.
haven't read it since i was a kid, but there's a frank herbert essay out there where he wrote about thematic trends in science fiction he didn't like, and the foundation figured heavily with the idea of far-seeing, omniscient scientists planning humanity's future way in advance, and dune is about that basically going disastrously awry

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

wanna slap a bunch of those all over my naked body.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I absolutely never saw these places as colorful to my mind's eye. Dune has always been a pretty brutal universe, where class stratification is extreme, most people are loving miserable, and the state of the world at the time of the first book kind of seems to describe life in nearly purely utilitarian terms. So it really is lent to the visual style of the movie to me.

the armor situation is the worst thing about what i'm seeing, and it feels like the most real concession to modern notions of what sci fi is supposed to be. The stilsuits were never gonna look how I imagined, because actors.

I try to hand-wave away stuff I don't like, as part of the fact this is not really My version of Dune. It's a pretty good film-marker's vision. It was never going to be perfectly congruent to your or my ideas of what this world looks like.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

haven't read it since i was a kid, but there's a frank herbert essay out there where he wrote about thematic trends in science fiction he didn't like, and the foundation figured heavily with the idea of far-seeing, omniscient scientists planning humanity's future way in advance, and dune is about that basically going disastrously awry

Kynes' death was a gigantic kick in the balls from Herbert, to this idea. Something about accident and error being the only constants in the universe. I don't have the exact quote. Spoilers, whoops.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Seeing this trailer has reminded me that 1984 was probably the worst time in history to film Dune, when cgi looked terrible and studio meddling was at it's absolute peak.

I mean watching Dune as a kid, I just checked out when I saw the shields, which looked like the music video for Money for Nothing.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
My only gripe with Dune movies is that fremens look water fat but I guess it's too much to ask actors to desiccate for a few weeks before shooting

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

exmachina posted:

Seeing this trailer has reminded me that 1984 was probably the worst time in history to film Dune, when cgi looked terrible and studio meddling was at it's absolute peak.

I mean watching Dune as a kid, I just checked out when I saw the shields, which looked like the music video for Money for Nothing.

I shoulda learned to play the baliset
I shoulda learned to play them drums

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

kiimo posted:

Water for nothing and the spice for free

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I want my
I want my
I want my spice orgy

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Phew, chapterhouse (like heretics) really gets bogged down two-third in

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
What are those? Fremen noises?
Thumpin on the sand like a chimpanzee

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stryder posted:

Definitely. I haven't gone looking for more in depth analysis online yet, but I mentioned earlier that I just read the first Foundation novel with a critical eye towards "Dune was a reaction to this." I get it and agree on the overall themes (like StashAugustine above), but also even the little stuff like female agency.

Like, Foundation is SUPER "1950's Sci-Fi" in completely erasing women from the narrative. I can actually only remember a single female character in the whole book, and she is someone's wife who exists solely to be bribed with jewelry so she'll influence her husband's decisions. Contrast that with the Bene Gesserit who (at least at first glance in the original novel) are controlling the bloodlines of every major and minor family in the known universe. AND they have magic voices and hyper-kung fu.

there's actually a well done teenage girl viewpoint character in the third one, and the wife of one of the main characters is a decent character who has a significant influence on the plot. otherwise yeah it's rockribbed 1950s bloke-fi.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

exmachina posted:

I also would have liked a stronger blue-in-blue effect for the eyes of chani but that is a nitpick

I wanted the Fremen's eyes to be nearly black but I think that might have had an effect on the movie's turnout. Hah.

kiimo posted:

The little bigamist with coffee and a crysknife
Yeah buddy, that's his real voice
That little human being got his own CHOAM contract
That little human being he ain't got no choice :(

Get your Duchy for nothin' and your sietch for free

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eau de MacGowan posted:

What are those? Fremen noises?
Thumpin on the drum sand like a chimpanzee to attract the worm

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 9, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

euphronius posted:

I hope it’s three hours long

yes

the movie seems to end halfway through the book so you'll have to wait for the sequel

two 3-hour movies

I said come in! posted:

Is there any reason to believe Dune is coming out December 18 now? The trailer did not say when it was coming out. Denis Villeneuve like a month ago, said that because of the pandemic, he was not even finished yet with the editing, and that editing and reshoots were far from complete. Between that, and that Tenet flopped in theaters due to the pandemic, I don't think this film is coming out this year.

It's absolutely coming out this year. It's now the signature release of the year and the platform for which studios will construct their theater 'experience' going forward under covid. There is no way the studios would pass up this opportunity to stand out with this material that in any other climate would be hard to sell to people. By December the studios will have worked out a framework for longer theatrical schedules and infrastructure in urban markets, and Dune, with that cast, will be the biggest thing this year...especially since everyone else is dead in the water.

i was under the assumption that to make it work as a movie villeneuve is splitting it up, with the first film ending with paul and jessica escaping into the desert spoiler alert

part 1 will end with Jessica changing the water.

i was under the assumption that to make it work as a movie villeneuve is splitting it up, with the first film ending with paul and jessica escaping into the desert spoiler alert

I like that they aren't blowing their load, saving some poo poo for part 2. Not much Baron or Gurney here, no Alia or Feyd, plenty of poo poo left over to sell the follow-up

Dr.D-O posted:

I really hope that this isn't as boring as Bladerunner 2049.

2049 is dope, and along with Arrival was a test-run for what he'll do with Dune, so, sorry about that

Popoto posted:

wormsign

god drat the production still of this shot was really different than the absolutely insane final context :swoon:

pentyne posted:

Eh, it's the standard dramatic marketing 101 line. Gotta get the non-readers interested in a epic saga of heroes and bad guys.

Dune is 2 movies (2020's a wash so likely not until 2022 maybe) so a franchise all the way to God Emperor would take at least another 2 movies unless they can smash Messiah and Children into a single 3 hour movie but the trend being more movies over books means 3 is a better likelihood.

Dune: Messiah Children

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Oh gently caress maybe they'll use distrans in the movie. That would be a neat little scene.

e. v Same. Although I recall the televised prologue to the Lynch version calling it a crusade too. Maybe it's another one of those "too weird for american audeinces" (which would be paternalistic and stupid either way but, eh)

phasmid fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 9, 2020

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I don't want a crusade I want a jihad.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I was listening to the audiobook yesterday and the way those Harkonen troops use the suspensors and knives is incredible.The scale of this movie is amazing.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

niethan posted:

I don't want a crusade I want a jihad.

hell yeah brother

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Just imagining this all slowed down and epiced up with a child whispering the lyrics as the navigator folds space, do it denis you coward https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3WA6Y5uJB7g

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

magic cactus posted:

So is anyone else slightly apprehensive about that bit around 2:00 minutes where a voice says "a legend will be born. all of civilization depends on it"? That strikes me as painting Paul as some kind of heroic figure, which is explicitly counter to what the book is about, given that Dune is as much about the effects of Paul's character arc as his journey itself. Either that or Villenueve is playing 4D-Chess and foreshadowing Leto II and the golden path

the voice is a bene gesserit, that is absolutely their perspective

they are not making the kwisatz haderach for funsies! by the way the words "kwisatz haderach" will not be in the movie, too muslim-sounding

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Foundation the original novel is a pretty solid piece of 1950s/60s sci fi. The sequels get progressively worse and worse. The first trilogy ends on a flat note with the whole 2nd foundation thing, and the follow up trilogy gets into some weird poo poo as they explore more and more ideas with an ending that just seems like Asimov patting himself on the back for his great work.

The prequels and later non-Asimov sequels I've never read but haven't heard anything to harsh about either way. At best Foundation seems like a potential franchise that kind of ran away from its original conceit by book 3 and just kept going off the rails.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just remember from one of the foundation books there was an entire faction of moustachioed greasers like a gang from a 50s movie.

They even had switchblade fights iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

the voice is a bene gesserit, that is absolutely their perspective

they are not making the kwisatz haderach for funsies! by the way the words "kwisatz haderach" will not be in the movie, too muslim-sounding

I’ve paid zero attention to the movie because I’m not really a movie person, so is this really a thing?