Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Those rumors don't even seem that outlandish. I believe them.

The Brent thing is a certainty -- if you leave the show on your own accord, Howard brings you into the studio to humiliate you, but if leaving isn't your idea, you're put on "around" status and never mentioned again.

The idea of doing his own Letterman show I've been saying for years and actually thought that's what he would do at the last renewal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Gay Retard posted:

So you don't have to actually go to reddit:

ETM cut-out:

Sigh, I miss the little turkey

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

Sigh, I miss the little turkey

He would be happy this year. The A's got a real good team.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Those rumors are pretty meh. I can believe they would pay Brent $25k to sign an ironclad NDA on the way out. Howard has admitted the phone thing on air (not Turk specifically, but that shouldn't be a shock). I believe Howard will be back, but probably phasing out. Maybe a couple of years, 2-3 shows every other week with limited focus, and all remote (so a podcast). Artie hasn't been on the show in 11 years, so I wouldn't expect them to be in touch. The Shuli thing... k.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
What company would hire Stern for 10 interviews? No way its Netflix. Apple+...maybe. It will be someone that charges, no way he'd go to PlutoTV or anything.

The show not seeing Artie is good thing I think.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Bonzo posted:

What company would hire Stern for 10 interviews? No way its Netflix. Apple+...maybe. It will be someone that charges, no way he'd go to PlutoTV or anything.

If he were to do it, I think he would go anywhere they write him a big check with very few strings attached. I just don't see him doing this. He actually said on the show a month or so back that he has been offered this sort of thing a couple of times but turned it down because he didn't think it would be unique enough. I enjoy his interviews for the most part, but I agree. I don't think I would really care to watch Howard do another two people on a stage interview series.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Bonzo posted:

What company would hire Stern for 10 interviews? No way its Netflix.

Howard is BFFs with Ted Sarandos. Gary's son works for Netflix. Howard is constantly talking up their poo poo content ("The Kissing Booth", etc.). He desperately wants his legacy to be as "the world's greatest interviewer", and loved how he was treated when he did "AGT". I could see him taking next to no pay, as far as comparable to what he's earned in the past, just for some bullshit 30min celeb rear end kiss show, just for that to be the horse he rides off into the sunset on. It's not far fetched.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Oooook, next caller?
Let's gently caress some whores!!!!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He should retire now . The zoom show is terrible

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Gay Retard posted:

ETM cut-out:

haha holy poo poo i didn't know there was a photo, i read it on my phone this morning and just kinda scrolled by it. fuckin sweet

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gay Retard posted:

ETM cut-out:

Someone needs to put balloons on it.

Or stick an Artie cut out in a Yankees jersey on one side and a Gary Mets cut out on the other. Bonus points if it's from Gary's pitch.

Gay Retard posted:

Howard is done after this yr and has told most of his employees but the people who Sirius employs will be put to work in different aspects. Sal and Richard are in talks for their own show.

Hell yes.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Sal and Richard will finally get to release that CD of extra special secret prank calls they got screamed at by Howard for drunkenly blabbing about at some live event.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Howard would definitely do a 10 episode stint as an interviewer but he kinda sucks at interviews now and leans hard on a few weird tropes.

Edit: I would love a Sal and Richard show but without Howard reigning them in I imagine they would quickly cross a line and be booted.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

EngineerJoe posted:

Edit: I would love a Sal and Richard show but without Howard reigning them in I imagine they would quickly cross a line and be booted.

Yup and I would totally watch that car crash. I do believe if people want "old Howard", these two would deliver. My only concern is that I like their prepared content like calls and songs and they wouldn't have much time if they are hosting. And to be fair, one of the things that Howard was good at is curating the show so it has some sort of flow to it despite crazy things happening. I worry the Sal and Richard show would turn in to generic morning zoo too quickly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Howard is very good at sensing when the audience is getting bored

He’s not 100% obviously

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

barnold posted:

some guy on reddit bought a cardboard cutout of ETM to sit in the stands at the A's ballpark. I'm sure the A's will score many touchdowns with our little shitcock presiding over them

NICE!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Hey, it's KC! Nice!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gay Retard posted:

ETM cut-out:

I love everything about this. :unsmith: :kimchi:

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Another thing about the Bubba show was that Manson was pretty funny and produced some good bits - that were roughly 3 times too long. Where Bubba would have been happy to let a bit play for 10 minutes and save him having to talk, Howard would have been like "get this down to 30 seconds".

The Friday Show used to play rejected Sal and Richard stuff and while it was usually a funny concept, it was almost always way too long.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Imagine if Howard did end his show at the end of this year. People talk about the show getting worse over time, but it would be downright sad if the show ended with some clips and talking on Zoom. I feel like he would re-up for a single year if it mean the chance of having a formal send off. Given the number of birthday shows and public events for movies/books/station changes, he would want a rock star send off to end the show too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah that make sense

He needs the studio

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I got, I got, I got, I got Italians in the back puttin down pavement down in my driveway all the way down the end to the garage. PAVERS.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i was riding the train home from philly today and saw some college-aged girls playing softball at the Rutgers campus and saw a catcher throw the ball to the pitcher, which flew past her hand and hit her in the chest then onto the ground.

when I stopped laughing I remembered that saga where Artie kept talking poo poo about softball league players and about this one rising star pitcher about how much she sucks, her and her league sucks and that he could hit anything off of her in his sleep. this lead to her hearing about it and taking him up on it in this big charity event and artie absolutely doing exactly every single thing he said he was going to do, except he was also shitfaced drunk just connecting hit after hit on her. classic. I need to find that and listen to it again.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

beep by grandpa posted:

i was riding the train home from philly today and saw some college-aged girls playing softball at the Rutgers campus and saw a catcher throw the ball to the pitcher, which flew past her hand and hit her in the chest then onto the ground.

when I stopped laughing I remembered that saga where Artie kept talking poo poo about softball league players and about this one rising star pitcher about how much she sucks, her and her league sucks and that he could hit anything off of her in his sleep. this lead to her hearing about it and taking him up on it in this big charity event and artie absolutely doing exactly every single thing he said he was going to do, except he was also shitfaced drunk just connecting hit after hit on her. classic. I need to find that and listen to it again.

That reminds me, did he win or lose against the college basketball girl?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

wesleywillis posted:

That reminds me, did he win or lose against the college basketball girl?

He lost, but not by as much as I thought he would.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

He lost, but not by as much as I thought he would.

There’s no doubt in my mind that she got a bonus to keep it close.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
He was winning and she came back and beat him too. Which made it even more hilarious.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

oh my debbie

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

EngineerJoe posted:

Howard would definitely do a 10 episode stint as an interviewer but he kinda sucks at interviews now and leans hard on a few weird tropes.

I don't know...I thought his Hillary interview was good and his Tom Brady interview was fantastic. Not sure wtf happened with the Robert Plant one. Biggest problem for me has been the never ending stream of b and c-listers on the show who aren't just that interesting. I think Howard would do OK with A Letterman style Netflix thingy.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know...I thought his Hillary interview was good and his Tom Brady interview was fantastic. Not sure wtf happened with the Robert Plant one. Biggest problem for me has been the never ending stream of b and c-listers on the show who aren't just that interesting. I think Howard would do OK with A Letterman style Netflix thingy.

Didn't Gary say a while ago that they don't call to book guests and they just book whoever calls in? That explains a lot.

Then again, would most current Hollywood managers know who Gary is?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Howard's problem is he doesn't shut the gently caress up and let the guest answer. He doesn't even listen, he's just waiting for his turn to speak, and his questions are predominantly his bullshit armchair psychologist crap. Just because Howard's father never paid attention to him as a kid doesn't mean that every guest who comes in also has daddy issues.

BiggerBoat posted:

... his Tom Brady interview was fantastic.

Especially the part where he asked Tom if he has white guilt because of his success among a team of black players.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Bonzo posted:

Didn't Gary say a while ago that they don't call to book guests and they just book whoever calls in? That explains a lot.

I'm sure they call out. They have mentioned plenty that Gary gets in to big events to rub elbows and get business cards. I don't think they scour because they prefer people that are enthusiastic to come on, but there are plenty of guests that I really doubt contacted them to come on.

Sand Monster posted:

Howard's problem is he doesn't shut the gently caress up and let the guest answer. He doesn't even listen, he's just waiting for his turn to speak, and his questions are predominantly his bullshit armchair psychologist crap. Just because Howard's father never paid attention to him as a kid doesn't mean that every guest who comes in also has daddy issues.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. There are too many interviews where he pushes the conversation way too hard. I believe he might have a fear of the interview growing stagnant or someone telling a long story that goes nowhere. I actually think he is pretty bad with most musicians because he gets rock star envy and rants through the conversation (plus most musicians aren't great interviews anyway, they would rather just perform).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most people do have raging issues with their parents

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I don’t know how many times over the years I have cringed due to Howard asking a guest a question and interrupting them before they can even finish their answer. Also back in the day he relied too much or went too fast on/to the sex angle even when it didn’t call for it.

Still some of the best interviews I have listen to have been on his show and I think he can be a great interviewer when he hits a certain stride with a guest. Just stop talking over the guest.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Bonzo posted:

Then again, would most current Hollywood managers know who Gary is?

When Jennifer Lawrence was on she thought it was a podcast. She didn't even know it was a live radio show.

Sand Monster posted:

Howard's problem is he doesn't shut the gently caress up and let the guest answer.

This is a great example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUKu_zODapQ

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Former Human posted:

When Jennifer Lawrence was on she thought it was a podcast. She didn't even know it was a live radio show.

I actually don't remember that, but it is totally believable. Even popular broadcast radio shows like "All Things Considered" are prerecorded and probably get more listeners in podcast form. Howard doing a live show with actually production value is pretty much unheard of anymore.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
So I am watching the Vow on HBO and I swear Howard interviewed a girl who was on smallville who talked about sex parties or something along those lines. Is that connected or am I misremembering things?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

jase1 posted:

So I am watching the Vow on HBO and I swear Howard interviewed a girl who was on smallville who talked about sex parties or something along those lines. Is that connected or am I misremembering things?

Erica Durance

http://www.marksfriggin.com/news06/10-9.htm

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Erica Durance Leaves The Stern Show Crying Hysterically. 10/09/06. 7:40am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gquoVSpw7UM

No idea this happened, but I am watching the Vow and totally need to listen to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Howard was definitely out of his mind back then.