Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cda

by Hand Knit

bog pixie posted:

I just started Lake of Urine, and it's completely absurd. In the first 20 pages or so there's already a dog fitted in scuba gear being sunk to the bottom of a lake to measure how deep it is. After the guy already measured the length of winter

why is every book you read the most interesting. where do you learn bout your books from

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer pal

cda posted:

yep that's the one. just as a heads up though, i personally like letting language wash over me and do not find a little disorientation to be unpleasant so i approach audiobooks more like listening to music where youre not sitting there trying to hear every single lyric the first time through, you're just having an experience

i listened to the first 20 min on my commute & i get what youre saying about disorientation lol

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

i listened to the first 20 min on my commute & i get what youre saying about disorientation lol

reading it is like that too, it's intentional. in an interview gaddis said "In this case it was my hope -- for many readers it worked, for others it did not -- that having made some effort they would not read too agonizedly slowly and carefully, trying to figure out who is talking and so forth. It was the flow that I wanted, for the readers to read and be swept along -- to participate. And enjoy it. And occasionally chuckle, laugh along the way."

----------------

nut

feel like I read that way mostly where it’s unintended

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Learning about James Baldwin in the book James Baldwin: Living on Fire and helplessly accepting that nothing ever changes, I guess.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 25, 2020

Zurtilik

beer pal posted:

u ever just stop & think sometimes like drat... hteres so many books

Yes and then the dumb perfectionist part of my brain almost wants to stop upon realizing I wouldn't be able to read them all if I wanted to.

beer pal

im still reading don quixote

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

im still reading don quixote

it takes a while

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Zurtilik posted:

Learning about James Baldwin in the book James Baldwin: Living on Fire and helplessly accepting that nothing ever changes, I guess.

i dunno, i read james baldwin and then i was different, so that's something

----------------

nut

I've been resting up for my next run at moby dick by reading Life for Sale by Yukio Mishima and it's really enjoyable. I didn't realize I read another book by him years and years ago it was the one about the violent kids something like a Sailor that fell out of the Sea or something. Maybe I will read that after.

I'm interested in postwar japan and kind of am thinking of getting his Sea of Fertility tetrology, in which each entry is written during a different time in modern Japanese history

beer pal

nut posted:

I've been resting up for my next run at moby dick by reading Life for Sale by Yukio Mishima and it's really enjoyable. I didn't realize I read another book by him years and years ago it was the one about the violent kids something like a Sailor that fell out of the Sea or something. Maybe I will read that after.

I'm interested in postwar japan and kind of am thinking of getting his Sea of Fertility tetrology, in which each entry is written during a different time in modern Japanese history
its called "the sailor who fell from grace with the sea", i read it a month or two ago and it was good. im also planning at some point to read his series

i finished don quixote, it is good. its a very 'loose' novel by that i mean there's a lot of diversions & short disconnected adventures & the main plot line mostly serves to get from one to the next. i found it very readable, though i imagine that varies with translations (mine was done in the 1950s i think), the writing often feels grandiose and sometimes longwinded but not difficult.

i didnt know going in that it's actually two books, written like 10 years apart. the first book was very popular and in the intervening years there was a knockoff sequel put out. in the second (official cervanties) book, it starts with don quixote at home resting and someone "in the don quixote universe" has written the same book as the first "real world" don quixote book so he's now very famous and also someone else also wrote a fake sequel so cervantes gets to talk poo poo about the real world fake sequel in the real sequel, its pretty fun

Zurtilik

Help I'm binging manga!

Doing Dragon Ball and Jojo right now.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 8, 2020

nut

Zurtilik posted:

Help I'm bringing manga!

which jojo series? I don't think I ever got farther than part 3 but someday maybe

Zurtilik

nut posted:

which jojo series? I don't think I ever got farther than part 3 but someday maybe

Never read any. So I started right at part 1. Finished part 1 last night. Will probably start part 2 in the next day or so.

nut

Zurtilik posted:

Never read any. So I started right at part 1. Finished part 1 last night. Will probably start part 2 in the next day or so.

oooh enjoy thinking it couldn't get crazier for now :twisted:

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

nut posted:

Sea of Fertility tetrology

I read the first one of those (spring snow I think?) and really liked it, but somehow never got around to reading the others.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

xcheopis

Zurtilik posted:

Help I'm binging manga!

Way of the Househusband is the greatest manga ever.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

its called "the sailor who fell from grace with the sea", i read it a month or two ago and it was good. im also planning at some point to read his series

i finished don quixote, it is good. its a very 'loose' novel by that i mean there's a lot of diversions & short disconnected adventures & the main plot line mostly serves to get from one to the next. i found it very readable, though i imagine that varies with translations (mine was done in the 1950s i think), the writing often feels grandiose and sometimes longwinded but not difficult.

i didnt know going in that it's actually two books, written like 10 years apart. the first book was very popular and in the intervening years there was a knockoff sequel put out. in the second (official cervanties) book, it starts with don quixote at home resting and someone "in the don quixote universe" has written the same book as the first "real world" don quixote book so he's now very famous and also someone else also wrote a fake sequel so cervantes gets to talk poo poo about the real world fake sequel in the real sequel, its pretty fun

That's also why he kills them off at the end and is like "so there can't be any more sequels"

cda

by Hand Knit
17th century DRM was wild

Mekchu

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im reading a memoir of an 18th century consort to a crown prince in korea who, kinda famously, went insane and his dad put him in a rice chest til he died. its pretty good so far!

xcheopis

Mekchu posted:

im reading a memoir of an 18th century consort to a crown prince in korea who, kinda famously, went insane and his dad put him in a rice chest til he died. its pretty good so far!

That was a difficult read, emotionally. She clearly was thoroughly traumatized by that marriage.
The Confucian Kingship in Korea covers his father's life and speculates on how things got to that point.

Zurtilik

I've been reading mostly on the Shonen Jump app because it's super cheap and legal ($2/month for an archive of most of their big titles) There's some manga I really want to read that don't have a legal option outside of paying like $10+ for each individual volume, which isn't so bad if you're buying along with the release of one or two series. But when you want to catch up with a big old series or something you're looking at an easy $200+ to get everything. (I'd have to take out a small loan for Case Closed/Detective Conan)

InkyPen and Comixology seem okay but still missing a lot. I know there's 'free' sites. But I wish I could at least contribute a few nickels to the artists and translation staff.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 9, 2020

beer pal

cda posted:

That's also why he kills them off at the end and is like "so there can't be any more sequels"

ok but hear me out, what if hes not dead, its just an enchantment

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

ok but hear me out, what if hes not dead, its just an enchantment

Book II, Chapter I: "...And then I woke up, alive!"

The DPRK

still reading infinite jest

Vei
Writing to Learn, which is the second book by William Zinsser that I've read. The first is "On Writing Well" and I highly recommend it -- it's the type of book that you will wish you read sooner (if you're into writing (which as a FORUMS ARTIST, you surely are!)).

In Writing to Learn, Stephen Jay Gould gets cited a few times, and so I bought one of his books and it's really good so far:

xcheopis

The must-read for Gould is The Mismeasure of Man.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

The DPRK posted:

still reading infinite jest
same

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

The DPRK

how far?

blaise rascal

556 / 1079

Reading this book has been a multi-year endeavor for me. But i read books slowly. Also, i've started and other finished other books while reading this one

blaise rascal

Two books I've finished lately were the d&d player's handbook and the d&d dungeon master's guide

They're cool because they let you be a dunjin master

more falafel please

forums poster

blaise rascal posted:

556 / 1079

Reading this book has been a multi-year endeavor for me. But i read books slowly. Also, i've started and other finished other books while reading this one

nice. my feeling is you get to the eschaton you're probably going to finish the book

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Zurtilik

blaise rascal posted:

Two books I've finished lately were the d&d player's handbook and the d&d dungeon master's guide

but which edition?!

take the moon

by sebmojo
finished the nakamura. finished whatever else i said i was reading

in progress: the ghost brush, river of gods, some sylvia plath bio

----------------

Mekchu

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xcheopis posted:

That was a difficult read, emotionally. She clearly was thoroughly traumatized by that marriage.
The Confucian Kingship in Korea covers his father's life and speculates on how things got to that point.

Oh? That'll have to go on my list of things to read and never get around to then. I'm only like 20 pages into Lady Hong's Memoirs.

xcheopis

It leans heavy on the politics of the time (of course) and the damage neo-Confucianism can cause, so if that isn't interesting to you, then give it a pass.
I did have some sympathy for his father after reading it, though. poo poo was hosed up all around.

3D Megadoodoo

I'm reading a political history (which was, at the time of publishing, political very recent or even current history) book on the bog. Seeing my dad's name and the date he got it on the front leaf made me realize I'm most likely the first person who's opened it since he finished it thirty-eight years ago when it was new. It's highly probable I'll be the last person to ever read this particular copy, too.

Makes U think.

cda

by Hand Knit

blaise rascal posted:

Vivid memories of reading these in middle school, just in case...

Zurtilik

cda posted:

Vivid memories of reading these in middle school, just in case...

I spent a good portion of mid to late elementary school just fawning over the second edition monster manual.

Then I got a full set of 3.5 a few years later.

Skipped 4.

Now I have all the main books for 5.

DnD rules! Especially Monster Manuals, which I have kept and collected even when I've given away/sold my other books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon

by sebmojo
i highly recommend reading the zero edition stuff, the art in those books is really nice and its def my most fun d&d experience

----------------