Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pentyne posted:

Foundation the original novel is a pretty solid piece of 1950s/60s sci fi. The sequels get progressively worse and worse. The first trilogy ends on a flat note with the whole 2nd foundation thing, and the follow up trilogy gets into some weird poo poo as they explore more and more ideas with an ending that just seems like Asimov patting himself on the back for his great work.

The prequels and later non-Asimov sequels I've never read but haven't heard anything to harsh about either way. At best Foundation seems like a potential franchise that kind of ran away from its original conceit by book 3 and just kept going off the rails.

Arkady Darrell in book 3 is a genuinely good female character, she charges off into the galaxy to sort poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think tim apple is the last big foundation fan left at this point. Kinda says it all

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Popoto posted:

wormsign

the worm is supposed to be god, y'know? this is the whole world collapsing into its mouth. loving sweet.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
but yeah, brutalist dune is like how to maximize a drug for my particular synapses. i'm a big fan. read the books when i was kid. have some collector's junk.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Happy Hedonist posted:

I’ve paid zero attention to the movie because I’m not really a movie person, so is this really a thing?

No lol it's literally mangled hebrew

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Movie looks great. Only just read the book, and I'm still on the fence about reading the sequels. Should probably watch the Lynch version, but meh.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

Foundation the original novel is a pretty solid piece of 1950s/60s sci fi. The sequels get progressively worse and worse. The first trilogy ends on a flat note with the whole 2nd foundation thing, and the follow up trilogy gets into some weird poo poo as they explore more and more ideas with an ending that just seems like Asimov patting himself on the back for his great work.

The prequels and later non-Asimov sequels I've never read but haven't heard anything to harsh about either way. At best Foundation seems like a potential franchise that kind of ran away from its original conceit by book 3 and just kept going off the rails.
yeah, i don't know anything about all those spinoff books. i think it'd a better bet to read the r. daneel olivaw robot series

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think tim apple is the last big foundation fan left at this point. Kinda says it all
it was massive among his generation of computer geeks (i.e. my dad). they all want to be hari seldon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did anyone notice the circle in the middle of the screen motif for the whole trailer

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's absolutely coming out this year. It's now the signature release of the year and the platform for which studios will construct their theater 'experience' going forward under covid. There is no way the studios would pass up this opportunity to stand out with this material that in any other climate would be hard to sell to people. By December the studios will have worked out a framework for longer theatrical schedules and infrastructure in urban markets, and Dune, with that cast, will be the biggest thing this year...especially since everyone else is dead in the water.
wait i gotta back up a second. so are we going to go to the theater and sit in a pod to watch dune? is that the theory?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is 0.00% chance I go to a theater to see this

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

There is 0.00% chance I go to a theater to see this
what if they dress you up in a stillsuit and you get to wear a mask and they make you put your hand in a box

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Covid is collected in the thigh pads

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

what if they dress you up in a stillsuit and you get to wear a mask and they make you put your hand in a box

Still suit would be good for a three hour movie

Hmmm

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

wait i gotta back up a second. so are we going to go to the theater and sit in a pod to watch dune? is that the theory?

"only in theaters"

I doubt a pod, but I think the thing is that studios up until July seemed to be just counting on covid 'blowing over' :lol:

talking out my rear end but what they're actually going to have to do to save their hold on the theater industry is establish a platform for theaters to be able to engage in standardized safety protocols, which means working with theaters to develop guidlines, planning for smaller crowds, longer theatrical runs, drive-ins at outdoor convention center venues, etc

I think Dune is probably the ideal launch pad of this paradigm because it's development and release were less affected by the last 6 months of covid than, say, Tenet, WW84, MCU, Mulan,

But Villanueve is certainly threading the needle. That cast tho, that's a cast you can market to a lot of people if you do it right, and they are leaning hard on the Chalomet/Zendaya side of things to get the MCU fans in there, with Momoa, Bautista, and Isaac. I think this is why so little of Baron, Jessica in the trailer, and no focus on Feyd, Alia, etc.

Gotta keep the focus tight right now, get people hooked on what they usually go to theaters for: the melodrama and the action scenes. That said, I think the actual film will be quite BR2049-esque and will be nearly 3 hours, with big time hints of Feyd near the end.

fishing with the fam posted:

Movie looks great. Only just read the book, and I'm still on the fence about reading the sequels. Should probably watch the Lynch version, but meh.

Read Messiah, but stop there for now imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

anyone else spot Jamis @ 2:12 being caught at the throat by Paul?

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

fishing with the fam posted:

As someone who only recently decided "yeah, I'm gonna read the rest of the books," I'd say you should at least read Messiah and Children. That's pretty much "The Paul Trilogy". There's a 3500 year jump between Children and God Emperor. I'm about 1/3 through GE now, and it continues the snowballing of weirdness.

What would really blow my mind is if Dune takes off as a movie franchise and they *do* attempt a God Emperor film. Not just because of the weirdness but because of the time jump. I mean, the difference of 3500 years is the difference between present day and the peak of ancient Egypt. I'd love to see if they would attempt complete stylistic changes for technology, costumes, architecture, etc.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah hes real and strong and hes my friend

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

my main take on the trailer is that its a mood, which is awesome because the book is a mood.

mood

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I'd put my hand in the box anyway. Put my head in the box

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Make your own box!

wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grill_illusion

Apparently this can be done with cold and heated hotdogs. :shrug:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 9, 2020

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

I was a friend of Jamis.

He taught me that one must be patient and wait for the right opportunity to see this in IMAX.

I claim this small glimpse of his first fight with Paul, poster's right.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
It looks like the blood spray of the guys killed by Duncan is trapped by the shields. Never thought of it but it make perfect sense. Or maybe the shields turn red when pierced?

Either way I'm sold.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

It looks like the blood spray of the guys killed by Duncan is trapped by the shields. Never thought of it but it make perfect sense. Or maybe the shields turn red when pierced?

Either way I'm sold.

Yeah that looked cool

It’s moving fast so yeah it should be stopped

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Either way I'm sold.

They turn red when pierced. Can be seen when Paul pins Gurney.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Yes and I"m wondering how they're gonna handle that fight, with it being probably the climax of the movie. I wonder if they just have Jamis' challenge added into the outdoor scene where they first find Paul and Jessica, that's the vibe I'm getting from the trailer

Maybe they want to save the naked boy-man fighting for Dune 2

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hopefully they're just talking up the happy coming of age stuff for marketing purposes; but at least the cast interview confirmed gurney playing a baliset

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Either way I'm sold.

This might be a really clever way to have a poo poo ton of graphic violence but preserve the pg-13 rating also

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

exmachina posted:

But... Still no Hawat or Feyd. Lovely Bautista looking more and more likely.

I don't see how they'd get so many things right and faithful to the book and then drop a major character like that. They've got to tease him in the first movie and have him step up in the second.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

We're also not expecting to see Shaddam, Irulan, the Fenrings, etc, because they don't figure in the first half of the novel. But there's no reason to expect that they've been cut.

Feyd's only scene before his arena fight is at the very start when the Baron explains his plan to the audience, and there's no reason it shouldn't just be Rabban there instead, since he's the one who has a part in the scheme to retake Arrakis. Feyd will probably be at least mentioned in those scenes. It'd be great if he's there, but if not it's still fine to introduce him at the start of part 2 with his arena fight.

We've also seen very little (zero?) of Piter, who we know for sure is in this film. I'm very confident Feyd will be in part 2.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Beast could be added into the pre Atreides arrival

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

We all know its going to be timothee in a blonde wig

e: if they are intentionally keeping it secret they could film actor x in the appropriate baron scene pretty quietly I would guess. Just dont know why. I doubt for a few reasons that they would fully merge feyd and rabban

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 10, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

do y'all think the dinner party makes it in

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1303452092380610560

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
one thing to note about the muted color is that color grading is the last thing that gets done, and this would hardly be the first film where the grading in the final changes dramatically from what's in the trailer.

That said, the design language leaning heavily brutalist would suit the bleakness as it is in the trailer

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Me watching Dune with the homies:

Honestly I'm not going to a regular cinema. The drive-in is OK but too much background light for dark scenes and my car speakers aren't good. Pouring one out for imax Dune :(

e: I'll catch it later but it's not the same.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 10, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The washed out palette makes sense with how the sky was described and it looks like they actually did that for a lot of the shots. Only one that had a blue sky that I saw was paul and gurney on the thopter.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ingmar terdman posted:

We all know its going to be timothee in a blonde wig

e: if they are intentionally keeping it secret they could film actor x in the appropriate baron scene pretty quietly I would guess. Just dont know why. I doubt for a few reasons that they would fully merge feyd and rabban

Yeah, I feel like Feyd has just been left out of this film, which as mentioned would be totally competent. However, I do think it's fun to entertain the notion that it's a casting so outrageous they can't reveal it yet. Like, Banksy. Or, Baron Trump! It's much harder to think of crazy jodorowskyesque Feyds than it is Emperors though. That's a fun game. (I'm currently on Hayao Miyazaki).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gonna go on record and say 1:45 - 2:25 is some of the best trailer material I've seen since the lead-up to Fury Road five years ago

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

The washed out palette makes sense with how the sky was described and it looks like they actually did that for a lot of the shots. Only one that had a blue sky that I saw was paul and gurney on the thopter.

living in wildfire territory rn i can confirm that a hostile hellscape world has a washed out palette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I mean if I can rent a private screening perhaps. Otherwise I will buy it in 4K in March/April 2021