Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I have an N-95 mask, I'm invincible now. I will go to the full IMAX theater down the street.

Also, can someone swap the Pink Floyd music for Toto's 1984 Dune trailer/theme song? (But keep in the dialogue if possible)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm going to see it in theaters so many times I get double secret covid.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

can you do drive through imax

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Vlad gray, so what

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'm going to see it in theaters so many times I get double secret covid.

i will see it so many times the covid turns my balls blue.....

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I haven't read the books but this looks fantastic. I agree with others, I had basically written off the idea of going back to theaters, but gently caress if I'm not gonna see this at the 70mm IMAX here in Denver. Multiple times. Can we also talk about how great jason momoa is? Dude should in so many ways not have a career, is only an ok actor, but gently caress if he isn't charming as all hell. I read that his character kinda low key becomes the star of the series as he's continuously reincarnated throughout the books so he kinda become the continuinity.. Timothy chalamet looks great as always. I kinda wanted to hate him for a bit based on him getting cast in everything for a minute there, but holy hell can that kid act.

Can't agree with others about the Pink Floyd song, I think it's used to great effect here. I'm not even a giant fan of theirs, but it got my blood pumping in the trailer. Also I think the presentation looks great. I think some of what people are complaining about is the naturalistic lighting that comes from being shot practically as opposed to a sound stage, but I am definitely talking out my rear end as a non-filmmaker.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
I started my re-read a few days ago, so this is mostly fresh in my mind. A few small things from the trailer for those that want to break it apart and theorize:

At 1:03 you can see them packing up the bull's head in a crate.

At 1:15, you can see that Hawat has a black mark of some kind on his lower lip, so maybe that's how they'll do the Sapho stain.

At 1:32, the "Harkonnen" soldier has eyebrows and what looks like a tattoo above his right eyebrow, so Sardaukar?

At 1:55, a distinct lack of battle pugs in Gurney's possession. :(

At 2:12, Jamis fight to the death I think, the only two other people visible briefly are standing straight and not moving, so I don't think it's when Paul first disarms him.

At 2:20, flying into the storm to escape the Harkonnens.

At 2:32, I think this part is going to be where he says that he was a friend of Jamis after he's killed him, it fits the book description of the part that comes after.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I picked up a copy of the 50th anniversary edition of dune and what a gorgeous cover.

Hype as gently caress for the film.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I hope the film includes the bit where Paul notices the sietch stinks is rich in scents.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I got a real nice 1st edition hard cover of Dune, it's the only worthwhile thing I received from my father. I'm going to sell it after this dumb movie turns a bunch of new nerds into frothing fans.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

!Klams posted:

Yeah, I feel like Feyd has just been left out of this film, which as mentioned would be totally competent. However, I do think it's fun to entertain the notion that it's a casting so outrageous they can't reveal it yet. Like, Banksy. Or, Baron Trump! It's much harder to think of crazy jodorowskyesque Feyds than it is Emperors though. That's a fun game. (I'm currently on Hayao Miyazaki).

My ideal Feyd is Tom Holland.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DevCore posted:

I have an N-95 mask, I'm invincible now. I will go to the full IMAX theater down the street.

Same.

I've been cautious for months now but I'm going to be there day 1 in the IMAX in my respirator and eye protection and despite looking like a huge weirdo this is the right choice for me. I can't not see this in a theater.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dong Quixote posted:

Same.

I've been cautious for months now but I'm going to be there day 1 in the IMAX in my respirator and eye protection and despite looking like a huge weirdo this is the right choice for me. I can't not see this in a theater.

just paint it black and pretend you're wearing a stillsuit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cacator posted:

That’s pretty good . He’s sublime

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Tom Holland isn’t pretty enough imo. They should just splice sting into it again.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Cacator posted:

Tom Holland doesn’t have the range to be a Harkonnen. Harry styles on the other hand just gives the vibes of cruelty and refinement.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

hump day bitches! posted:

Tom Holland doesn’t have the range to be a Harkonnen. Harry styles on the other hand just gives the vibes of cruelty and refinement.

That could work too, although I haven't really seen him in anything besides Dunkirk. I'm just thinking of other twinks who are a match for dear Timothée.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Holland was in avengers and Spider-Man maybe you saw those movies idk

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Cacator posted:

That could work too, although I haven't really seen him in anything besides Dunkirk. I'm just thinking of other twinks who are a match for dear Timothée.

I always imagined feyd as a male Taylor swift but I think that might be a little bit outrageous.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Wizchine posted:

I hope the film includes the bit where Paul notices the sietch stinks is rich in scents.

I'm a social worker. On several occasions I've visited a home where there is a cat on every surface, or no one's showered in a month, or a deceased pet is slowly decomposing into the carpet.
I've not yet commented "how rich the odours of your sietch!" but I really, really want to.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Isn’t feyd Paul ? Or what was supposed to be Paul

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I want Sting Fenring

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ideal Feyd

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

Paul was supposed to be feyds wife

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

Paul was supposed to be feyds wife

Right

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

He was supposed to be bred to Paula but Jessica hosed up and had a son instead. He’s not like a clone of him though, they don’t have a strong resemblance apart from being sexy rear end kicking twinks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are they ... cousins ?

Let me do the math ..

Yeah they share an grand parent

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

You gotta wonder if a potential marriage would have actually stopped the feud. Or did they just hope Paula would survive to be Feyd's prize after the chaos.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Yes Paul and Feyd are cousins and we’re supposed to marry, end the feud, and sire the Kwisatz.

Lol whoops now we have a galactic jihad because Jessica loved Leto. Can you imagine being a BG leader and realizing like 2000 years of planning and manipulation got hosed up literally at the last possible moment? I don’t remember if they ever delved into that in depth at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If Paula happens the harkonens never leave Dune and have a aliance with House Atriedes

Which never would happen and I guess informs Jessica’s decision

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

Yes Paul and Feyd are cousins and we’re supposed to marry, end the feud, and sire the Kwisatz.

Lol whoops now we have a galactic jihad because Jessica loved Leto. Can you imagine being a BG leader and realizing like 2000 years of planning and manipulation got hosed up literally at the last possible moment? I don’t remember if they ever delved into that in depth at all.

mohiam goes nuts on Jessica at the end of the first book before she is shut up by Abomination

Iirc

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Has it even been addressed why the BG instituted their breeding program with the nobility instead of easily controlled mud farmers on their own planets? Or it just old white guy racism that assumes that rich and powerful are that way because they're genetically superior?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean there is no story if that happens

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arven posted:

Has it even been addressed why the BG instituted their breeding program with the nobility instead of easily controlled mud farmers on their own planets? Or it just old white guy racism that assumes that rich and powerful are that way because they're genetically superior?

Rich people are much easier to control. What if your mud guy messiah walks in front of a hypnobong truck

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 10, 2020

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

nobility has a way bigger portion of their family tree filled in, presumably important when the BG got started.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

Sure but have you seen oscar isaac

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cacator posted:

...drat, I'm really struggling to think of a choice better than this atm lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think my favorite bit of trailer-ness is the older male voice shouting "Go! Go!" over the shot of Paul and Jessica running from the worm

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I think my favorite bit of trailer-ness is the older male voice shouting "Go! Go!" over the shot of Paul and Jessica running from the worm

How about the unsheathing sound when Mohiam brings out the gom jabber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Tanned Rebecca Ferguson in that cast interview my god.