Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I didn't see anyone mention this after I checked the Alpha Protocol thread (which apparently died 5 years ago :lol:), but Raycevick did one of his Decade Later Deepdive videos on AP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dyPBkJuFdU

Even with the big RPG revival, I think AP2 is an impossibility, but I want it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
have you been around a younger kid that cusses all the time? the most obnoxious thing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

Turns out, CK3 is 100% about imposing order onto a chaotic universe. It's like Harvest moon, and you're clearing your field of weeds, loose stones and debris, and then sighing in contentment when you have a nice, clean garden

You're given this canvas, good but not great:

Then the universe steps on it:

The goal:

All you have to do is follow the worms.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Even with the big RPG revival, I think AP2 is an impossibility, but I want it...

Considering the original game is now delisted because it apparently wasn't worth the cost of renewing the music licences, I doubt we will ever see it again. Nothing to stop Obsidian doing a spiritual sequel now they have Bill Gates money I guess.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

my favorite is when people blot out the g*d but leave the drat

Rinkles posted:

have you been around a younger kid that cusses all the time? the most obnoxious thing

https://www.twitch.tv

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lurdiak posted:

All you have to do is follow the worms.

The thing that gets me is that in CK3 getting the Empire title will let you paint over everything in one color but when you go down to the everyday management level is still completely borked...

My Kanem-Bornu is teal over half of Africa but my actual kingdom title is completely fragmented not just by my direct vassals but by other kingdoms which all control random counties in it lol

I think this is ludonarratively consonant in that it makes the centralization/absolutism of the EU4 era, where you actually do get to paint everything properly, historically accurate

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Jay Rust posted:

Turns out, CK3 is 100% about imposing order onto a chaotic universe. It's like Harvest moon, and you're clearing your field of weeds, loose stones and debris, and then sighing in contentment when you have a nice, clean garden

You're given this canvas, good but not great:

Then the universe steps on it:

The goal:

Yeah but in Harvest Moon you could give your wife an egg a day to make her happy but in CK3 the egg will kill you, marry your wife, and wear the crown (I hear).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wow today I learned there was a Chinese only release of Mario Galaxy on Nvidia Shield which is apparently the source for the Switch version and it probably sold more than the Wii version.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wasn't there some weird Chinese version of a bunch of Nintendo games? I remember someone doing Wind Waker speedruns on some Chinese console because it had weird quality about it that made the game faster

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Wasn't there some weird Chinese version of a bunch of Nintendo games? I remember someone doing Wind Waker speedruns on some Chinese console because it had weird quality about it that made the game faster

The iQue is a Chinese console that received ports of many Nintendo games, yeah

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

you're thinking of Ocarina Of Time and it was because the ique is an N64 on a chip that runs at a better framerate than the actual n64 did so things like the tower collapse cutscene played back like twice as fast

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Also I think Shadow Hearts is a criminally underappreciated game that really doesn't have any big flaws that need overlooking to really get into the game (like say the voice acting in Arc Rise Fantasia) and I figured Koudelka would be a similar experience but now I'm two hours in and I think this game is probably bad

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Koudelka has some stellar voice & mocap work, but as a game it's pretty much a mess

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Sweetgrass posted:

toy commander was dreamcast only and I loved that game, really frustrating levels from time to time but very satisfying to beat and set new personal records on.

Also, the different multiplayer modes were absolutely great. How this hasn't gotten a decent spiritual successor is beyond me.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

my favorite is when people blot out the g*d but leave the drat

This is very funny to me every time I see it because it betrays so much about the speaker. I had a friend in college who was very religious and probably a little on the spectrum. He would say frick all the time, frick this and frick that. I tried to figure out if he thought God didn’t know what his intent was, and how that was probably more important than playfully censoring himself, but it never went anywhere. If you’re going to be profane just loving do it, to hell with the consequences

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
speaking of language, this isn't new by a long shot, but personally i've seen a big uptick in people talking about 'sweaty' and 'sweats' and how games are ruined by people just trying way too hard. Fall Guys brought this out again, I think.

I'm curious if this will ever lead to wider discussions on what people actually want out of multiplayer games in general because I think, again speaking widely, 'MMR-based ladder climbing' is actually not it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anything that isn't connection based matchmaking is a sin

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

speaking of language, this isn't new by a long shot, but personally i've seen a big uptick in people talking about 'sweaty' and 'sweats' and how games are ruined by people just trying way too hard. Fall Guys brought this out again, I think.

I'm curious if this will ever lead to wider discussions on what people actually want out of multiplayer games in general because I think, again speaking widely, 'MMR-based ladder climbing' is actually not it.

They want a game where they win a lot while the average person loses a lot.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

What's the meaning of sweat/y in that context?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

They want a game where they win a lot while the average person loses a lot.

Its this. Look at any conversation about hating skill based matchmaking and its the fantasy of getting to crush first time players

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

TA Metis posted:

What's the meaning of sweat/y in that context?

It's a disdainful term for the dudes who invest their actual factual sense of worth in winning online and play using only optimal, researched strategy

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Barudak posted:

Its this. Look at any conversation about hating skill based matchmaking and its the fantasy of getting to crush first time players

i don't disagree but i think it's only one aspect of it, the other crossing over with things like death of private servers/community-based play and how many games fall into the 'role-based team game' mold which I think may actually just be bad design outside of full premades.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Not a Children posted:

It's a disdainful term for the dudes who invest their actual factual sense of worth in winning online and play using only optimal, researched strategy

so the equivalent of netdeckers

I guess I'm sweaty then

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There's the thing where multiplayer games are full of hardcore players who poo poo-talk pve players... but are always opposed to seperate pve servers (because they need a steady supply of weaker players to own.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

i don't disagree but i think it's only one aspect of it, the other crossing over with things like death of private servers/community-based play and how many games fall into the 'role-based team game' mold which I think may actually just be bad design outside of full premades.

I think games being increasingly designed like American Football rather than like a pickup game of footy is a real trend, but there are many games that still exist to pickup that slack and some of the most popular games on the market don't follow that design mold for obvious reasons.

I think complaining about premades and mmr is wanting your pubstomping cake and eating it too, you want to stomp on other players but not by investing work to find other equally skilled people to team up with you. You just want a free range stomping.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The thing that I think is frustrating about Fall Guys is that the game is designed, and the debate is whether this is intentional or unintentional, where it is possible to be significantly better than most other players but still regularly lose due to situations that are completely outside my control.

For the obstacle courses, I very regularly get top 5 or even win those. There's lots of small techs you can do, like shortcut jumps on Slime Climb or jump boosing yourself on obstacles to get extra distance on Whirligig. Hex-A-Gone has a ton of strategy to it, and you can see like a meta-game developming around trying to identify who is doing what strategy. If you see a person doing the low-level strat, you can either stay as high as possible or you chase them down and gently caress them over. The game is ultimately a platformer, so it makes sense for some of these skill-based things to be popular.

However, on the flipside, there's an equal number of stages where individual performance doesn't matter at all. When team games are 7v7v7, it's fundamentally very difficult for a single person to have a significant impact on winning or losing. Especially when most of the team game conditions are "end the game with a tail," so there's literally nothing else you could have done to help win because you did that. Like I said, I can consistently pull off top-5 finishes on obstacle courses, but can still go 0-7 in Soccer Fall because my teammates don't know The Strategy (you can score at half-court during a ball-drop) but the other team has four people camping the midfield. Hell, one of the finales is literally a RNG game, where you have to stand on falling panels and which one falls is up to luck.

The game also has like, starting rows, and getting placed in the back row with 50 people in front of you is a plain disadvantage and will result in you losing rounds. See Saws is incredibly easy if you're in the front row because you can just do quick hops between physics objects before there are too many people on them to cause big shifts. If you're in the back row, you will often have to wait on the group in front of you to either jump off or fall off because the saw will be so tilted it's physically impossible to jump onto. Fall Mountain is the most bland obstacle course with barely any actual platforming to do, so if you get placed in a third row from the front it's almost impossible to win because the odds of eight other people messing up so badly you can overtake them is very unlikely. I've kept track of who ends up winning Fall Mountain every time, and 9/10 times it's someone from the front row because it's just so easy that anyone who starts in the back row physically cannot catch up. The one time I've won the map was also the one time I was placed in the front row. Seeing those trends makes the map super not fun when you get placed into the 2nd/3rd because you recognize that your only hope is for five-ten other players to mess up VERY badly.

So that's my qualm with the game. The thing that makes the experience frustrating is that, unlike most other games where winning is like a "oh cool I won," Fall Guys has a currency you can ONLY get by winning and is how you get all the cool costumes. The second biggest issue is that it's difficult for people to just mentally write the game off as something that isn't skill-based at all and you should just completely give yourself up to RNG, because a large number of the games ARE skill-based and it IS possible to consistently outperform other players.

May 8, 2006

that being true i think more games should secret match people with bots once in a while

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

Bit of a tangent but I think using swears around children should be allowed, and children should be using swears anyway, there is literally no harm in it. Change My View

Swearing doesnt own unless you get that cool little rush from breaking da rulez in you earliest memory bank

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
this is more zoomer content than this thread normally leans but anyone who plays or played minecraft should do themselves a favor and watch the Manhunt series, which is a PvP challenge where a speedrunner tries to beat minecraft without dying once, while other players try to kill him before he can do it

The videos are always good but they don't get incredible until they up the number of hunters to three, so I'll link to the first great one rather than the very beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tH4dyOPZnY

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

that being true i think more games should secret match people with bots once in a while

A lot of them do, and players absolutely hate when they find this out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

imo if you're going to watch any competitive minecraft content, I recommend shirakami fubuki's minecraft iron man speedrun

that's where you have to craft an entire suit of iron armor and then get yourself blown up by a creeper, as quickly as you can

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zahkpraIDU

May 8, 2006

Barudak posted:

I know I love seeing when people find out they've been got.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Not a Children posted:

what happened to 'tryhards'

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The 7th Guest posted:

Remembering words is pretty sweaty

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

A new term for a new generation.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Relax Or DIE posted:

Barudak posted:

yeah, this. I can't really pinpoint any Western games I've played where it was revealed that a % of the game's population was bots, but three Chinese games I've played had it for sure - most of which I figured out just by metric of me absolutely annihilating other "players" in a genre I knew I wasn't that good at. One was the Autochess mobile client after Valve started making Underlords, and two have been Battle Royale games (Ring of Elysium and Cyber Hunter) where I was winning games with like twenty kills which is like 1/4 of the server

May 8, 2006

didn't fortnite do it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Paladins (RIP) had it where the first four or five levels of progression all you fought was bots and the amount of people bragging about their godlike skill at the game even though they just started was just magical

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Relax Or DIE posted:

didn't fortnite do it?

Wouldn't be surprised but I only played it for like two hours when it first came out

Barudak posted:

Paladins (RIP) had it where the first four or five levels of progression all you fought was bots and the amount of people bragging about their godlike skill at the game even though they just started was just magical

Smite does this too and it made me kind of mad because as someone who played a ton of dota, I had to play for like ten hours of games that didn't help me get an idea of the things that were important at all. Like, "hey, how much damage does this person do in an average game?" or "about how much gold should I have at this point in a game?" were all moot because I would have 40 kills and the games would only last seven minutes and I could just get six-slotted immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

didn't fortnite do it?
relatively recently, i think only at the beginning of this year. pretty much every big multiplayer phone game now, also