Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Drinking all of Oleg Drago's liquor and walking straight off the roof to own the nats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Shumagorath posted:

Drinking all of Oleg Drago's liquor and walking straight off the roof to own the nats.

GEt ur loving politics out of here, I play my games about class struggle, discrimination and the compromise between freedom and security to get away from that stuff!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I haven't played Human Revolution yet, but the other day I noticed that I had the "Director's Cut" for Wii U, which according to my casual research is basically the best version of the games, so that's something to look forward to.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Good. It fixes the boss fights and has director’s commentary. I struggle to wrap my head around outsourcing boss fights.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They shoulda kept with the spirit of the original and just let you run past them while they impotently screamed at you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

El_Elegante posted:

Good. It fixes the boss fights and has director’s commentary. I struggle to wrap my head around outsourcing boss fights.
This is where I usually pop to go "the way commentary is implemented in this game is terrible, just watch it on youtube after completing each level", but I can't seem to find a commentary compilation at the moment.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Xander77 posted:

This is where I usually pop to go "the way commentary is implemented in this game is terrible, just watch it on youtube after completing each level", but I can't seem to find a commentary compilation at the moment.

Hard agree. The lack of "played" nodes is just :psyduck:

https://youtu.be/AhXoYgB7rPU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
E: ^^^ Thank you!!!

Xander77 posted:

I enjoyed the commentary but gave up on it around Hengsha because needing to stand in place to listen instead of it being an implemented part of the game was terrible. The second or third time I accidentally walked out of the "box" where the commentary was and needed to walk back to listen to it from start just killed the experience.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Is there no practical reason to pay out for the PS3 version of DEHR:DC if I have the Wii U version? I presume not, but Wii and Wii U games have a tendency to go off the rails a bit compared to ports of the same title on other more conventional consoles.

Note that I do have the recently-released GOG version as well, I just fancy the idea of a bigger screen even if I have to aim with a thumb stick and not a mouse.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
By all accounts it's the best version of the game because it utilises the gamepad very effectively.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I mean if we're talking personal preferences, I think the directors cut without the gold filter just doesn't look very good at all.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

at least on PC you can put the gold filter back

https://cookieplmonster.github.io/2020/04/26/dxhr-dc-gold-filter/

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Removing it was stupid. The art design was clearly developed around a certain palette. They should have given the option to use one or the other.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the piss filter. Thinking back on the game, "gold" is certainly one of the first things that spring to mind.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Removing it was stupid. The art design was clearly developed around a certain palette. They should have given the option to use one or the other.

It's because everyone complained about the filter at the time that the Directors Cut removed it. I agree though, the game looks sterile without it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

People definitely complained because it was definitely over done, but just casually ripping out the filter that the whole game's aesthetic was based on was not a well thought out move.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
JJB must have been livid.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There's a post a while back in this thread that details someone's effort to restore the filter to the director's cut; it's not quite the same, but it does a pretty good job, and it's an interesting read if you're into graphics stuff.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Here's a different mod that I've been screwing around with for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELivsnEPvvk

I recently updated it to show the weapon aimpoint and I think it makes a big difference in how the system feels. Mileage with GEP gun may vary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5-sYCnW3cQ

• Weapon Control System

quote:

Weapon aim point is controlled by modelling the weapon as a spring-mass-damper system.
    This provides more realistic behavior of weapons both for the player and npcs:

• 360 No-Scoping causes the weapon to sway away from the center of the screen
    • Running causes the weapon to sway in time with your steps
    • Walking causes less weapon sway than running
    • Dodging NPCs is viable because their aimpoint lags behind their desired aim exactly as yours does
    • Weapons now have 3 stats that govern accuracy:
      • Base accuracy determines how close the bullet hits to where the weapon's actual aim point
      • "Aim Ability" determines how quickly a weapon can be brought on target after the aim point stops moving (analogous to damping ratio)
      • "Handle Ability" determines how closely the weapon will follow the point of aim while the aimpoint moves (analogous to natural frequency)

• Other Weapon Enhancements
    • Make weapon skill change bringup/putdown speed
    • Make projectiles turn into ammo so you can pick up darts and throwing knives from bodies
    • Adjust weapon fire rate based on skill so that you can fire faster at higher skill levels
    • Scope mod provides actual range offset information for weapons with drop like the mini crossbow
    • Laser sight shows distance to target (this plays well with the scope mod)
    • Add special magnum ammo for sniper rifle - does extra damage, single load only, can't be silenced, and shoots through thin walls. Get this from lucky NPC drops
    • The PS20 is now a reusable double-barrelled shotgun that's pretty fun to shoot!
    • Sabot rounds are now a single slug instead of a spread
    • Shotgun spread doesn't depend on your skill level or current accuracy
    • Throwing knives travel faster the higher your skill (and even faster with the combat strength aug)
    • Flare darts explode on impact
  • Other Tweaks
    • Tweak ammo box sizes
    • Allow special ammo types to drop on npcs
    • Change stun timer based on damage
    • Change skill costs and values
    • Increase shell casing speed
    • Change AugBallistic values
    • Calculate skill based on pawn special skills
    • Make items visible in vision aug (buggy)
    • Make MIBs and Walton more accurate
    • Make pickup ammo count from corpses depend on clip size
    • Make plasma rifle buggy and fun
    • Tweak weapon mods
    • Make AssaultGun grenades require reload
    • Tweak weapon parameters
    • Modify pawn firing behavior

I'm still developing it whenever I think of something that sounds fun.

Get it here

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

That is adorable and I have zero interest in ever playing something like that but I'm glad it's there.

Also the aimpoint bit I can't help but giggle at because it is so silly how it looks when you run forward with the handgun and wave it around.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Diggus Bickus posted:

Here's a different mod that I've been screwing around with for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELivsnEPvvk

I recently updated it to show the weapon aimpoint and I think it makes a big difference in how the system feels. Mileage with GEP gun may vary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5-sYCnW3cQ

• Weapon Control System

• Other Weapon Enhancements
    • Make weapon skill change bringup/putdown speed
    • Make projectiles turn into ammo so you can pick up darts and throwing knives from bodies
    • Adjust weapon fire rate based on skill so that you can fire faster at higher skill levels
    • Scope mod provides actual range offset information for weapons with drop like the mini crossbow
    • Laser sight shows distance to target (this plays well with the scope mod)
    • Add special magnum ammo for sniper rifle - does extra damage, single load only, can't be silenced, and shoots through thin walls. Get this from lucky NPC drops
    • The PS20 is now a reusable double-barrelled shotgun that's pretty fun to shoot!
    • Sabot rounds are now a single slug instead of a spread
    • Shotgun spread doesn't depend on your skill level or current accuracy
    • Throwing knives travel faster the higher your skill (and even faster with the combat strength aug)
    • Flare darts explode on impact
  • Other Tweaks
    • Tweak ammo box sizes
    • Allow special ammo types to drop on npcs
    • Change stun timer based on damage
    • Change skill costs and values
    • Increase shell casing speed
    • Change AugBallistic values
    • Calculate skill based on pawn special skills
    • Make items visible in vision aug (buggy)
    • Make MIBs and Walton more accurate
    • Make pickup ammo count from corpses depend on clip size
    • Make plasma rifle buggy and fun
    • Tweak weapon mods
    • Make AssaultGun grenades require reload
    • Tweak weapon parameters
    • Modify pawn firing behavior

I'm still developing it whenever I think of something that sounds fun.

Get it here

pretty cool poo poo.

its neat how the point of aim matches the direction the weapon is pointed. and its funny to watch the unskilled JC swing the rifle around wildly lol

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I quite like that crouching improves accuracy, especially since I spend much if not most of my time in FPS games crouched.

I really need to play Deus Ex: The Conspiracy on PS2 so that I can complain about the controls.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I really need to play Deus Ex: The Conspiracy on PS2 so that I can complain about the controls.

It supports USB mice and keyboards!

But it's locked to the terrible default PC binds so it's still bad

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

repiv posted:

i actually never rebound use from right click, it’s actually good

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

repiv posted:

I might actually try a USB mouse for aiming; I certainly own plenty and I have a coffee table.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the only change you need to make to the default binds is adding "F" as a shortcut for F12

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The 01101000 side mission really put Mankind Divided over the top for me. I don't think a game has won me over this gradually since... DX1.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

The 01101000 side mission really put Mankind Divided over the top for me. I don't think a game has won me over this gradually since... DX1.

Was that the one with the bipolar augged up theatre performer? Google isn't helping.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

jojoinnit posted:

Was that the one with the bipolar augged up theatre performer? Google isn't helping.
I had the number wrong; it's 01011000.

Now I'm at the main quest branch between M11 and M12 and despite M12 probably being way cooler I can't find an in-character reason not to respond to a threat-to-life situation... :sigh: I played M11 last time and didn't end up going to GARM before dropping the game.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Is there a simple way to get total conversions like Zodiac to work with the Steam version of the game?

e: nm, figured it out

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 21, 2020

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/seinfelddahog/status/1310971964123762694?s=20

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BBJoey posted:

Is there a simple way to get total conversions like Zodiac to work with the Steam version of the game?

e: nm, figured it out

What’s you have to do?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Mankind Divided's ending wasn't nearly as abrupt as it had been portrayed, but I do hate that NG+ both won't let me play I Never Asked For This and undoes my meticulous inventory Tetris, deleting a whole battle rifle in the process (thankfully not one I was using, just vendor trash).

Are the Jensen's Stories bits worthwhile (I assume at least one is if Pritchard isn't phoning it in)? Starting from scratch there sucks too; Missing Link this ain't.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
System Rift and Criminal Past are excellent. The other one is eh. For one of them starting from scratch is most of the point of it; the other two certainly could have been integrated into the main game.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I just beat Criminal Past no augs. Good DLC that did a great job catering to different playstyles, but going no-augs means missing out on some quests that might've fleshed out some side characters. I'll have to go back through on a normal run.

I also extremely want to play Cyberpunk, like right now.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 15, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

but going no-augs means missing out on some quests that might've fleshed out some side characters

What did I miss?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mankind Divided had ~53K concurrent players and is considered a flop? It is not CoD numbers, but it also couldn't be called a AAA title. Goddamnit, Square-Enix.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Butterfly Valley posted:

What did I miss?

I'm not sure, since I didn't bother running the modified biocell back to Flossy and I didn't take Worthmueller's pill. 'Quests' was the wrong word there; I should have said 'backstory', because bee-lining for Guerreo means Flossy shows up out of nowhere at the end demanding some television time. It seemed out of place and lacking motivation since I'd spent maybe a minute talking with the guy. (No augs also meant limited ability to hack into personal computers, so I missed a lot of backstory there, too).

In short, no augs wasn't the best way to go for a first run, but I'm looking forward to taking a more thorough approach on a second pass. Playing no augs was a blast, though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ZearothK posted:

but it also couldn't be called a AAA title.

Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

ZearothK posted:

Mankind Divided had ~53K concurrent players and is considered a flop? It is not CoD numbers, but it also couldn't be called a AAA title. Goddamnit, Square-Enix.

Yeah this is a huge thing in the industry, games are considered failures and get their series canned if they only make reasonable profit instead of massive profit. Capitalism sucks