Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
While having 300 plus comics for free is great are there any runs that people would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Madkal posted:

While having 300 plus comics for free is great are there any runs that people would recommend?

I've never read it (now's a good time considering we all own 300 Black Panther comics), but supposedly the Christopher Priest run (1998-2003) is considered the best stuff written for the character, so I guess that's a good start.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Madkal posted:

If they have it, Jungle Action 6-18 is the "Panther's Rage" story arc which is the introduction of Killmonger.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Shuri series is good, and the two-part Secret Invasion story is cool.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

World of Wakanda is really good!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/NotLasers/status/1303374915400335362?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamn, this Alec Robbins thing is hosed up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gripweed posted:

Goddamn, this Alec Robbins thing is hosed up.
Is this a Mr. Boop joke or did the creator of Mr. Boop (or a similarly named but unrelated person) do something that is actually hosed up and serious?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Unless I really missed something this afternoon it's a Mr. Boop joke that was just posted in a supremely unhelpful way.

Gripweed please post with a little more substance or at least space out the lighter stuff a little.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 10, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Edge & Christian posted:

Is this a Mr. Boop joke or did the creator of Mr. Boop (or a similarly named but unrelated person) do something that is actually hosed up and serious?

He has publicly admitted that he was lying the entire time. He was never actually married to Betty Boop

https://twitter.com/alecrobbins/status/1303339904454111232?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm stunned by the revelation that this guy was not in fact married to a cartoon character

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Really puts the C. B. Cebulski thing in perspective.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

He has publicly admitted that he was lying the entire time. He was never actually married to Betty Boop

This is really hosed up. I feel betrayed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How Wonderful! posted:

Unless I really missed something this afternoon it's a Mr. Boop joke that was just posted in a supremely unhelpful way.

Gripweed please post with a little more substance or at least space out the lighter stuff a little.

Gamer Dilbert is back and is going some pretty intense places. I almost posted about it but I couldn't remember if I was probated here or in Games for posting about Gamer Dilbert before, so I played it safe and didn't say anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

This is really hosed up. I feel betrayed.

Lying about your personal identity like that, just to make a comic, it's loving heartbreaking.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so apparently back in the early 90's Marvel Comics briefly had an imprint for religious comics;

admittedly not the first time that Marvel has published stuff of that nature though;

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Didn't Archie/Pep used to print some border line Aryan Christian comics (like literally about a blonde haired blue eyed Nazi who found Jesus), or am I getting that confused with another publisher. I'm pretty sure they printed some intense evangelical comics though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Madkal posted:

Didn't Archie/Pep used to print some border line Aryan Christian comics (like literally about a blonde haired blue eyed Nazi who found Jesus), or am I getting that confused with another publisher. I'm pretty sure they printed some intense evangelical comics though.

If I recall properly Archie themselves didn't make them, but they had a long standing agreement with another publisher allowing them to use Archie Comics characters and artists

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Hansi?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Spire Christian Comics was a company external from Archie, it was an imprint of a larger Christian book publisher that had been around since the 19th century but tried their hand at comics in the 1970s.

Al Hartley, one of the main Archie artists at the time (who worked on a bunch of pre-Marvel Marvel comics, co-created Night Nurse, and wrote a couple of early Iron Man and Giant Mans) had recently become a born again Christian and was apparently tossing so much Jesus into Archie that the editors at Archie told him to dial it back. He channeled that religious energy into a line of comics for Baker/Spire (most of them were adaptations of books already published at Baker, but eventually Hartley convinced the Archie brass to let him do some Christian stories starring the Riverdale gang).

One of those books was in fact "Hansi, The Girl Who Loved the Swastika".

Having read a bunch of the Archie Spire books, most of them aren't particularly crazy or interesting, they're boilerplate middle of the road Christian after school specials starring the Archie gang, so if you're expecting Jack Chick but with Jughead you will be disappointed. You can see a full checklist here.

Far weirder are the Dennis the Menace and the Bible Kids comics, mainly because squaring Dennis the Menace's default hijinks with Christian piety is way harder than suggesting Archie lives a godly life.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

drrockso20 posted:

so apparently back in the early 90's Marvel Comics briefly had an imprint for religious comics;

admittedly not the first time that Marvel has published stuff of that nature though;

I'm kind of interested in those Pilgrim's Progress and Screwtape adaptations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:stonk:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If I remember correctly it's not quite what the cover makes you think it is

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Check E&C's link. Its pretty fascinating.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

drrockso20 posted:

Not remotely, yeah, the cover's meta and as you would expect, it goes to some pretty horrifying places.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah, it is one of those redemption stories where she starts out as a Nazi and by the end she is all in for Jesus.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, it is one of those redemption stories where she starts out as a Nazi and by the end she is all in for Jesus.

TRUMP SUPPORTERS: "Why not both?"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So a proto JoJo Rabbit then.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm not going to defend Hansi, the Girl Who Loved the Swastika (or, as later editions helpfully clarified, Hansi, the Girl Who Left the Swastika, or as it was originally published, I Changed Gods) as a masterpiece or anything but it is also definitely not a full-throated love-letter to Adolf Hitler or whatever. Hirschmann was for sure a mainstay of evangelical circles that skewed increasingly conservative (see her not atypical statements about Obama during his presidency) but the manifest content is definitely positioning Christianity as the enemy of Nazism from a bluntly pro-Christian perspective. The cover is meant to be provocative-- to get people to go "whoa" and pick it up, even to prey a bit on public appetites for salacious or gruesome content (a tactic well-known in American evangelism all the way back to Charles Finney and prior). This was de rigueur for Christian publishers, particularly Born Again-adjacent publishers, from the post-war period onwards: see for example Hal Lindsey's 1972 Satan is Alive and Well on Planet Earth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

see for example Hal Lindsey's 1972 Satan is Alive and Well on Planet Earth.

And now I need to think of a new title for my autobiography.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
There's a lot of Chick Tract in Hansi, from the over-the-top nature of both her pre-conversion depravity and the torment that's heaped upon her in retribution (but not too much -- infamously, of all the girls in Hansi's labor camp after the war, she is the only one not raped, because she's "too skinny" -- because an eventual Christian must be sexually pure), to her suffering Christian parent whose words of wisdom are ignored, and how shockingly easy her conversion is.

If you wanted to really torture the source material into having a deeper meaning you could call it a proto-Fight Club in that it's the story of a literal brownshirt-in-waiting who just swaps the object of her cultish devotions, but honestly, it's too simple for that. Most of the panels have one sentence in them; I don't think any have more than two. The comic exists to say: Nazis bad, Communism bad, consumerism bad, Christianity good, America good, hippies good. (It doesn't really know what hippies are.) It's as shallow as a rain puddle.

You can read it for yourself.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

There's a lot of Chick Tract in Hansi, from the over-the-top nature of both her pre-conversion depravity and the torment that's heaped upon her in retribution (but not too much -- infamously, of all the girls in Hansi's labor camp after the war, she is the only one not raped, because she's "too skinny" -- because an eventual Christian must be sexually pure), to her suffering Christian parent whose words of wisdom are ignored, and how shockingly easy her conversion is.

If you wanted to really torture the source material into having a deeper meaning you could call it a proto-Fight Club in that it's the story of a literal brownshirt-in-waiting who just swaps the object of her cultish devotions, but honestly, it's too simple for that. Most of the panels have one sentence in them; I don't think any have more than two. The comic exists to say: Nazis bad, Communism bad, consumerism bad, Christianity good, America good, hippies good. (It doesn't really know what hippies are.) It's as shallow as a rain puddle.

Woah now. Consumerism bad America good. Sounds like the Spiral folk don't care for capitalism and they call themselves patriots.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

. Most of the panels have one sentence in them; I don't think any have more than two.

The amount of words in a comic is in no way an indication of quality, and if it was fewer should probably be the goal.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm not going to defend Hansi, the Girl Who Loved the Swastika (or, as later editions helpfully clarified, Hansi, the Girl Who Left the Swastika, or as it was originally published, I Changed Gods) as a masterpiece or anything but it is also definitely not a full-throated love-letter to Adolf Hitler or whatever. Hirschmann was for sure a mainstay of evangelical circles that skewed increasingly conservative (see her not atypical statements about Obama during his presidency) but the manifest content is definitely positioning Christianity as the enemy of Nazism from a bluntly pro-Christian perspective. The cover is meant to be provocative-- to get people to go "whoa" and pick it up, even to prey a bit on public appetites for salacious or gruesome content (a tactic well-known in American evangelism all the way back to Charles Finney and prior). This was de rigueur for Christian publishers, particularly Born Again-adjacent publishers, from the post-war period onwards: see for example Hal Lindsey's 1972 Satan is Alive and Well on Planet Earth.

If Footmen Tire You What Will Horses Do? Is one of my favorite movie titles of all time

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Gripweed posted:

If Footmen Tire You What Will Horses Do? Is one of my favorite movie titles of all time

Same. That movie is nuts but like, almost admirably berserk, like biting hard into raw meat. All of that era of Evangelical agitprop is pretty odious (Capnandy's sum-up of Hansi's ideology is right on) but it really nailed a sense of outlandish gravitas and pomp. I think a lot of that luridness fed into the nascent conspiracy culture that spat out Behold a Pale Horse and stuff, eventually the more Grand Guignol elements of Qanon culture even.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Not gonna lie, I like the art on the "In His Steps" cover

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Madkal posted:

Woah now. Consumerism bad America good. Sounds like the Spiral folk don't care for capitalism and they call themselves patriots.

There was a time in this country where that was an actual view point! Then the 80's happened and consumerism and patriotism became inseparable concepts.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Blockhouse posted:

There was a time in this country where that was an actual view point! Then the 80's happened and consumerism and patriotism became inseparable concepts.

Thanks Regan!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just finished my first-ever free week-long subscription to Comixology Unlimited, where all I did was binge-read late-period Gilbert Hernandez Love and Rockets and the last 55 issues of Marvel's G.I. Joe series, since none of those are available on Hoopla. It was a LOT, and a huge tonal shift between the two, as one would expect. I'll have to revive the dormant Love and Rockets thread to report in, but I think Gilbert Hernandez might be the horniest comics creator out there, even more than Claremont, Miller, or Chaykin.

Maybe I shouldn't have timed it during the same week I had a free HBO trial subscription, but I totally took advantage of both before cancelling to avoid getting charged. I'll have to do these again some time, but not at the same time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1305561952068878338?s=20