Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

"orchestral" is not how i would describe any of the good songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the best early songs are all buttrock

soken branches out as the expansions progress but buttrock is his native habitat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The song that plays in the opening cinematic of the game is one of the most embarrassing tracks I've heard in my life.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

The song that plays in the opening cinematic of the game is one of the most embarrassing tracks I've heard in my life.

you mean the title screen or the first in-game cutscene

cause if you're talking about Answers then I think you and I have very different musical taste

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lurdiak posted:

The basic gameplay loop is fine but this game was hyped to me as "so much better than wow" and so far that's only true of the graphics. Like I've gotten so used to the puddle-deep characters and badly thought out plot twists of wow, I never expected you could sink so much lower in terms of writing. At least the caricatures in wow have obviously defined personalities and goals and have emotions in their voices.

Even the much-vaunted music of this game is really forgettable and dull so far. Yes, it's orchestral, big flipping deal. 70 people playing a boring track doesn't make it any less boring.

ARR is a bad game with a bad story. The characters have personalities injected into them after that (or they're just killed for the crime of being boring as gently caress) and it gets infinitely better.

The music gets really good too, although ARR has a lot of bangers itself.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

answers is good but also its a song composed by nobuo uematsu 8 years ago in response to someone telling him "give us a couple dozen songs" with no context for what they'd be used for, and not really representative of everything after 2.0 which is mostly composed by a different guy who actually knows where the songs are going to be playing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

answers is good but also its a song composed by nobuo uematsu 8 years ago in response to someone telling him "give us a couple dozen songs" with no context for what they'd be used for, and not really representative of everything after 2.0 which is mostly composed by a different guy who actually knows where the songs are going to be playing

It's a real good song op

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's an embarrassing anime theme sung in a language that doesn't match the cadence of the composition at all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
hosed up

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i have no idea what that means

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
FFXIV does kinda suffer from being a game that is pretty dang old at this point and it's writers, animators, etc improving with each expansion and major update. Like, the original ARR story at the time it was released was a alright MMO story, the kind that helps give context to why you are kicking this big monsters rear end or doing this dungeon, but was not gonna earn any praises beyond "I didn't skip all cutscenes". Of course expectations changed both as time went on in general and as later content ended up improving so now either going back there or coming in expecting more can be kinda painful.

Edit: Answers good tho
Actual edit: As is anime

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
here is the song in question, so non-xiv players can decide who is right and who is wrong, for themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also I've played a lot of MMOs with housing systems and this is by far one of the least well thought out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That song is a big ol nothing to me. Its not bad, its not good. Its like any random stage music in a game nobody talks about the soundtrack of.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://youtu.be/hb0P9jHV8dQ

This is the real banger. The real poo poo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

stev posted:

https://youtu.be/hb0P9jHV8dQ

This is the real banger. The real poo poo.

forward and back is fine but it never really clicked with me

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Answers is probably not in my top 5 FFXIV songs or anything, but anyone going so far as to declare their hate for it with zero prompting is in my books a person of deeply questionable character.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm getting near the end of Shadowbringers and it has a pretty good boss theme though I liked the Stormblood one better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKHUcCQ65mg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFqfN-ju1MQ

i also liked the weird titania theme from a couple dungeons back and the suzaku one from the stormblood patch quests was v good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saYCZ9jzLEA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u20Py_d2aI8

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

answers is a Final Fantasy-rear end Final Fantasy song and is pretty good for representing the end of the world as we know it

it is, as the kids say, epic

the game itself is a slow burn 100%, especially in ARR, and no one is going to argue that. it was a game in recovery from the failure of 1.0 and it took a while for them to find their feet again in heavensward and beyond. it takes patience to get there but i think most people will agree that your patience is rewarded if you stick it out.

comparing it to wow, ffxiv will always have advantages over it in terms of story: the player character is actually the main character and is treated as such (despite humble beginnings); the story is coherent and consistent chronologically, things happen in ways that make sense and there's an overarching story from the very beginning; characters that suck at first either develop into good characters, are left behind in their respective expansion content, or just fuckin' die, cause they sucked.

it's not perfect, and it's not for everyone. but it is pretty drat good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Re: the main character, at least up to where I've reached in SB I've never truly felt like I was the protagonist. I'm far more heavily involved than most MMO characters for sure, and there's a whole load of "chosen one" stuff but I still don't have any real agency. Alphinaud will sometimes ask my opinion and the choices will usually be different flavours of what he suggested in the first place.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm not saying you have choices like an open world game, or whatever, but you are treated in the story as a lot more than just Generic Horde/Alliance Soldier. you save the day and characters remember that; they don't just go back to treating you like some nobody.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kinda at odds with its MMO-ness, much dissonance

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Put those songs into a new Theatrhythm square

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Kinda at odds with its MMO-ness, much dissonance

Yeah so far it's the worst of both worlds. My character never speaks and has no motivations of his own, but the plot is so on rails and my character is so central to the events that I can't really project a personality onto him like I do in other MMOs. He's the chosen one but so is every single other player, which means I can't really feel like the game's story and the gameplay story of "messing around with friends in an mmo" is connected in any way. The bad guys oppose me specifically but since I'm a blank slate there's no history or character arc that results in opposing them. My character has no real relationship with any of the NPCs except "ally" so things that happen to them don't feel like they affect me, and they're too removed from the action to "let me shine" for them to have any lives of their own that I could grasp onto. It's very strange and offputting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FF14's presentation is pretty limited by virtue of being an mmo so the soundtrack has to do a lot of the heavy lifting. The game doesn't really start to find its identity, musically, until about when you fight Titan for the first time way back in the early game. After going through zone after zone of your typical orchestral fantasy music, he shifts into his final phase and suddenly buttrock kicks in and some dudes are shouting at you that they're an armadillo and then some guy screams TITAAAAN at you through a megaphone from a distance.

It was definitely a big wtf moment when I first started playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDEPwFmBQXM

But yes there are some absolute bangers in the ost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBIRYjP1NNM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc79dfqb44s

along with some nice tracks to vibe to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc-svJHHdxU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFC4umN_JBw

as well as your fairly typical Christmas Carol remixes of old Final Fantasy standbys, including a version of the track that plays when you fail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWQV3oEbXbY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBwJZDVdLyY

Runa fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 10, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah so far it's the worst of both worlds. My character never speaks and has no motivations of his own, but the plot is so on rails and my character is so central to the events that I can't really project a personality onto him like I do in other MMOs. He's the chosen one but so is every single other player, which means I can't really feel like the game's story and the gameplay story of "messing around with friends in an mmo" is connected in any way. The bad guys oppose me specifically but since I'm a blank slate there's no history or character arc that results in opposing them. My character has no real relationship with any of the NPCs except "ally" so things that happen to them don't feel like they affect me, and they're too removed from the action to "let me shine" for them to have any lives of their own that I could grasp onto. It's very strange and offputting.

I'm uh, not sure how you reached this conclusion unless you really weren't paying attention or were being deliberately obtuse.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
One of the best things about a new FFXIV expansion is unironically discovering what kind of music it has in store, it's just impossible to truly predict. One my clearest memories of Shadowbringers was hearing that dungeon boss theme for the very first time, it was exactly that "what in the hell am I listening to" -> "wait this is actually great" -experience that Soken is a master of delivering.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Paid off my preorder for Super Mario 3D Collection this arvo, now all I need to do is pick it up :toot:

"I see you preordered the Game & Watch as well"
"Yeah I figured it'd sell out, and I'm a bit of an old fart as I had a few of the originals"
"Oh yeah I've got a few REALLY old consoles at my place. Like the SNES and the Mario Paint mouse!"

*me internally*
https://i.imgur.com/rAFP13z.mp4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Literally every time Answers has come up in the game besides that first cutscene posted earlier when I had no context for it, it has given me chills every time, the way it's been used as a leitmotif is extremely good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The SNES is really old.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

stev posted:

The SNES is really old.

Then what's that make the NES? :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

(because they need a steady supply of weaker players to own.)

*pwn

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm uh, not sure how you reached this conclusion unless you really weren't paying attention or were being deliberately obtuse.

lol ARR had a weird needle to thread where they needed to write an MSQ that could be played by both new players and also folks from 1.0 who didn't want to reset (in the latter case they were literally sent forward in time 5 years from 1.0, also everyone's memory of the player character has been suppressed)

At the end of the MSQ they were able to collapse the wave function and everyone properly recognizes how cool the WoL is regardless of starting point

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I didn't see anyone mention this after I checked the Alpha Protocol thread (which apparently died 5 years ago :lol:), but Raycevick did one of his Decade Later Deepdive videos on AP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dyPBkJuFdU

Even with the big RPG revival, I think AP2 is an impossibility, but I want it...

I'm so mad that it got withdrawn from all stores since I only had it on 360 back in the day. Really want to replay it but it's surprisingly hard to locate even with :filez:. I found a few second hand disks for sale but I don't have a disk drive so RIP.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also yes everyone in FF14 knows the housing market is a complete shambles (and has actually been frozen due to COVID), they are working on reforming the housing situation soon

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

They're also adding in a few more wards with 5.35, and they mentioned upgrading the housing servers entirely but that has to be put off due to covid.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

That's the general way of it though. WoW has the same 'problem'.

The story basically assumes you are The Protaganist, your guild is A Band Of Adventurers, and all the primary plot characters do all the heavy lifting.
You're generally there just to be the murderhobo.

I think some of the recent chronologies for WoW finally put to rest which faction canonically kills which raid bosses as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Imagine that, a year for each owner of Alpha Protocol.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I played through Alpha Protocol like 5 times.

It was one of the first games I can remember thinking, the action gameplay is an active detriment and this would have been better as a visual novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I played through Alpha Protocol like 5 times.

It was one of the first games I can remember thinking, the action gameplay is an active detriment and this would have been better as a visual novel

I sort of agree but playing the game as a someone who can go invisble at will and pistol headshot five people in a second is really fun, albeit very broken. Martial arts was also pretty great. Just sprinting through the levels beating the hell out of everyone. The writing and insane reactivity was obviously the main draw of the game though.