Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
gently caress me the comments :catstare:
https://twitter.com/HartleyHare2/status/1303962145357471744

"she would be racist like me if she hat do walk past the bad blacks"

feedmegin posted:

That's a gerund :colbert:
Isn't that a newspaper?

e: 46 is close to the molar mass of ethanol.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Oh dear me posted:

Oh, I assumed twisto's apparent zeal for button-pushing was a London thing. Here in Cornwall I feel selfish pushing the button, when I could just wait a little longer for a proper gap and not stop traffic for so long.

Do the drivers ever feel bad that they're holding you up from crossing the road and voluntarily stop to let you through? No? Well don't worry about them, then 🙂

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

24 SWG wire is 0.56mm diameter, so 0.25mm2 * 11.27km = 2817cm3 or 25.24kg of copper, which is about 40kg of ore, which is the amount that Chile produces in 0.37 seconds.

Plus it's recyclable, so there's far more egregious uses to get mad at, like the roughly 3,300 miles of wire in an Royale Yacht Britannia that they keep wanting to build.

Copper scrap is valuable, I got a bunch of money off getting my gas line replaced because my friend gave me full scrap price for taking the old pipes.

I know. In a former life as a - ahem cough - landlord (accidental - couldn't sell house and had to move to London for work) - :guillotine: one of my lovely tenants ripped all the copper pipes out of the walls and sold them for scrap.

Also, I know the railway loses loads of signalling cabling every year when it's stolen to sell.
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/looking-after-the-railway/delays-explained/vandalism-and-trespass/cable-theft/

However, if you are J Bloggs General Handyman or a DIYer, how much gets just chucked into the big 'hardcore' skips at the local waste management place?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 10, 2020

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I'm glad Rebecca Front is on the right side of this one :unsmith:

tbh her response seems incredibly friendly all things considered, real dick move to publish that on Twitter for everyone to have a go at her.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I was just recommend to read the Xbox thread (the recommendation was from the Playstation thread of all places).

There has been a multi-part derail there on Americans and Europeans debating the strengths of Credit Cards over Debit Cards. It is bizarre.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

gently caress me the comments :catstare:
https://twitter.com/HartleyHare2/status/1303962145357471744

"she would be racist like me if she hat do walk past the bad blacks"

Hasn't Brixton been gentrified to hell in the last 10-15 years?
Also, gotta love the bootlicking this massive racist is getting

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 10, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Guavanaut posted:

24 SWG wire is 0.56mm diameter, so 0.25mm2 * 11.27km = 2817cm3 or 25.24kg of copper, which is about 40kg of ore, which is the amount that Chile produces in 0.37 seconds.

That doesn't sound right, Sudbury is the highest grade underground copper deposit in the world at 8% copper. The highest grade open cast mine is 5%. It's still not a huge amount, but it's for a stupid coat. Multiply it up by how many stupid coats they use it in, then by how many other stupid garments or accessories they put it then, then by how many other stupid companies are making similar stupid items.

VVVV Thankfully we're going to have a 10pm curfew so they can stay safely indoors.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 10, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

lol at these people who are scared to walk down a street at the LATE hour of 10pm

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

The Question IRL posted:

I was just recommend to read the Xbox thread (the recommendation was from the Playstation thread of all places).

There has been a multi-part derail there on Americans and Europeans debating the strengths of Credit Cards over Debit Cards. It is bizarre.

the xbox thread is 90% iterations of 'xbox sucks lol'

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Stop hating on cyclists/drivers. Some people are arseholes, they will be arseholes regardless of the mode of transport they use. Stop using it as an excuse to hate on other who are just trying to get around. And intentionally stopping traffic for your amusement doesn't make you the better person.

Also who is Laurence Fox? I've seen his tweets appear a few times now and I still have zero clue. Some youtuber?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

kecske posted:

the xbox thread is 90% iterations of 'xbox sucks lol'

The XBox does suck tho

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

However, if you are J Bloggs General Handyman or a DIYer, how much gets just chucked into the big 'hardcore' skips at the local waste management place?
Probably a bit, but everyone (especially handymans who have to shell out £60 for a reel when it's been ripped out) knows that there's value in copper, so I bet more of it gets saved up to sell than anything other scrap. Maybe lead flashing is up there too but it's less used now.

kingturnip posted:

Hasn't Brixton been gentrified to hell in the last 10-15 years?
I think so, but it's telling that she can think of two stereotypical poor Black areas and would base the merits of BLM on that but would not base the merits of whiteness on Tile Hill..

Lungboy posted:

That doesn't sound right, Sudbury is the highest grade underground copper deposit in the world at 8% copper. The highest grade open cast mine is 5%. It's still not a huge amount, but it's for a stupid coat. Multiply it up by how many stupid coats they use it in, then by how many other stupid garments or accessories they put it then, then by how many other stupid companies are making similar stupid items.
I'm basing it on the processed ores that are sent for smelting, rather than the deposits that are mined. Either way, as long as they're recycled there's far more wasteful uses of copper wire, such as the tons of novelty electronics like waving cats and USB bananas and the Royal Yacht Britannia that end up in landfill.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mega Comrade posted:

Also who is Laurence Fox? I've seen his tweets appear a few times now and I still have zero clue. Some youtuber?

Actor in such blockbusters as The Hole and Lewis. Outed himself as a bit of a racist on Question Time some time ago.

Guavanaut posted:

I'm basing it on the processed ores that are sent for smelting, rather than the deposits that are mined. Either way, as long as they're recycled there's far more wasteful uses of copper wire, such as the tons of novelty electronics like waving cats and USB bananas and the Royal Yacht Britannia that end up in landfill.

Fair point, except the world can never have enough waving cats :colbert:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mega Comrade posted:

Stop hating on cyclists/drivers. Some people are arseholes, they will be arseholes regardless of the mode of transport they use. Stop using it as an excuse to hate on other who are just trying to get around. And intentionally stopping traffic for your amusement doesn't make you the better person.

An actor. He was in Lewis for example as the Oxbridge educated, drop out trainee priest sidekick.
(Actually can't think of anything else he was ever in.)
I think he was married to someone who was in Dr Who at some point too but I might be wrong and can't be assed to check.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Bang average TV actor turned terrible singer/songwriter who has gained some notoriety for leaning into the right wing grift. Theres nothing particularly interesting in him but because hes a right wing celebrity thats already broken into that bubble you're never going stop hearing from him.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Lol so less famous and relevant than a youtuber. OK.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

stev posted:

The XBox does suck tho

:mad: where else am I supposed to talk about the great release titles such as

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

An actor. He was in Lewis for example as the Oxbridge educated, drop out trainee priest sidekick.
(Actually can't think of anything else he was ever in.)
I think he was married to someone who was in Dr Who at some point too but I might be wrong and can't be assed to check.

His sister is Emilia Fox off of Silent Witness, who is a FOAF and apparently lovely, which at least in comparison seems legit

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

His sister is Emilia Fox off of Silent Witness, who is a FOAF and apparently lovely, which at least in comparison seems legit

There's a whole clan of Foxes and Davids who are (or were) in many of the British series - Joanna David for example who was often in 1980s / 90s things and was/is married to Edward Fox. When you look into it you can really see how incestuous the British 'jobbing actors' profession is!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Red Oktober posted:

Weirdly 1p/2p are probably the best things to use because of the copper in them. Copper has a property which breaks down the exterior of a germ and can get into the insides.

this is what i tell the man at tesco but they're all like "madam your bill comes to £60" and "have you heard of cards" and "can you at least not throw each one in my face please"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"Help help leftists are trying to silence me" I shout, on my multiple TV appearances and interviews.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

thespaceinvader posted:

Do people not just... grasp the light patterns of all their local junctions?

Is that just me?

Nope.

When I had a job, I cycled to work and knew exactly the pattern of the lights so I could cross both carriageways of the main road just be watching if the cars were allowed to turn right at the lights.

I had some time off, and work was done at that particular junction and my knowledge after that was useless, and the pattern never lined up as well as before.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
memorising the junction pattern is vital so you can pull off the ultimate Cool Person Move of starting to walk a couple of seconds before the green man appears. watch me with awe, non-local pedestrians, the machines move at my command. i'm loving neo

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not counting poo poo like austerity, the decades long gutting of public services, and general lovely work/housing situations people find themselves all (all factors) they were complacent that it wouldn't be bad, or if it was not bad enough to affect them, and ideologically opposed to enacting poo poo that would prevent the worst of it.

And when poo poo actually hit the fan, they dithered and dithered because they actually had to confront reality, and not just "pretend" it wasn't happening, god knows how many people could actually have been spared if the government had actually taken direct action sooner, as opposed to "yeah we don't recommend going to the pub/public transport/school, but we're not going to stop it v:downs:v"
Hey, don't forget actively working against a solution by siphoning billions in public funds away from healthcare and research to their mates via companies that had no experiences or resources to do anything the contracts promised.

This whole shitshow has exposed not only how evil the government are, but how insidious the control of the right wing press over the public is, and how useless and miwky Starmer is to still be barely neck and neck in the polls.

How do you do that brain gymnastics, to look at polls saying "I am as popular with the public as a clueless, inbred murderer" and not think maybe you need to change something?

Oh wait no, this is still that anti-corbyn sentiment hanging around after he *checks notes* got monstered by a pro-tory press. The solution to this is clearly to try and court the press. I am very smart.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just use one of the secret clickers they give out to special people that instantly turns the light green.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
About 20 minutes ago 8 ambulances went past me heading towards the City, along with a couple of command vehicles (ambulance and fire) and some unmarked cop cars, all with blues and twos and driving in a manner frantic even by London standards. Not a flicker of anything on Twitter or anywhere else about anything that might require that level of response*. I begin to see how conspiracy theories develop because obviously *something* has happened but there's literally no way of finding out, and obviously the biggest bullshitter wins in that circumstance.

* although admittedly last time I saw something like that it was for the bloke climbing up the Heron Tower - never understood why they needed a dozen ambulances for that one, the dude's pretty small and even if he tried his hardest, if he fell off he's only going to be hurting 2 or 3 people.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Necrothatcher posted:

I just use one of the secret clickers they give out to special people that instantly turns the light green.

Talking of this, my father maintained for years that if you flash your lights at the right rhythm you can get the lights to change for you, as there’s some sort of sensor that picks up emergency lights from ambulances, cop cars etc to give right of way. (This was back in the 90s)

Was he as full of poo poo as I thought at the time?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

About 20 minutes ago 8 ambulances went past me heading towards the City, along with a couple of command vehicles (ambulance and fire) and some unmarked cop cars, all with blues and twos and driving in a manner frantic even by London standards. Not a flicker of anything on Twitter or anywhere else about anything that might require that level of response*. I begin to see how conspiracy theories develop because obviously *something* has happened but there's literally no way of finding out, and obviously the biggest bullshitter wins in that circumstance.

* although admittedly last time I saw something like that it was for the bloke climbing up the Heron Tower - never understood why they needed a dozen ambulances for that one, the dude's pretty small and even if he tried his hardest, if he fell off he's only going to be hurting 2 or 3 people.

Last time I saw something like that was in Shoreditch. We made a few distateful jokes and then opened my phone to see a video of the guy who murdered Lee Rigby.

Basically, I suppose I'm saying just wait a day or so if a distateful joke can be defended.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Camrath posted:

Talking of this, my father maintained for years that if you flash your lights at the right rhythm you can get the lights to change for you, as there’s some sort of sensor that picks up emergency lights from ambulances, cop cars etc to give right of way. (This was back in the 90s)

Taxi drivers still do this, but I've no idea if it's legit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Camrath posted:

Traffic signal preemption is a real thing in some places, but the most common ones are linked to the siren noise to prevent that kind of messing around. Not sure what ones are used where in the UK though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Camrath posted:

Not entirely, but they mostly used infrared as far as I know so it's unlikely his lights could have triggered it.

Guavanaut posted:

Traffic signal preemption is a real thing in some places, but the most common ones are linked to the siren noise to prevent that kind of messing around. Not sure what ones are used where in the UK though.

They're developing some to be fitted into lorries and driveless cars as well, in a 'convoy' approach so you can have a bunch of lorries or the like never having to stop. It's a pretty cool idea in theory for reducing conjestion.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've seen this a few times, barrelling down the motorway nearby.
Those are usually out to multi-car crashes, they send out as many ambulances as possible as you don't know how many you will need.
Better to send too many, than not have enough and some poor bastard dies when could have been saved.
And in the aftermath, the initial phone in report may not have specific details.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Yes and no. Some models of temporary traffic lights do respond to the frequency that most emergency vehicle strobes work at (2 flashes in half a second then off for half a second) - there's a little photo sensor (mushroom-shaped, sort of like the sensors on street lights, but pointing down the road instead of at the sky) on top that detects this. A lot of pub bores confuse that with the square box with a black window on the front you see on lots more temporary lights and quite a few permanent ones, which is actually a radar for detecting oncoming traffic (they'll skip the usual timer if they detect no traffic on the green signal but approaching traffic on the red, and some use it more intelligently to vary the phase timer to account for traffic flow).

The "no" bits kinda make the whole thing moot though. For a start, that sort of system is only installed on very long single-track closures (i.e. where opposing lanes of traffic have to take turns on the same piece of road), and isn't mandatory even there. More relevantly the response to detecting an oncoming emergency vehicle is to set *all* signals to red immediately so the emergency vehicle can sail straight through the red with much less likelihood of meeting something coming the other way and when the override is released it returns the system to the beginning of the status it was at when it was triggered, so even if you *could* trigger the system (unlikely unless you've got metronomic rhythm and lights that ramp up and down exactly like emergency strobes) all you're actually doing is making yourself sit at a red light for even longer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Kinda OT but did you know that if you have your personal account linked to your company's FB page (I am an admin on ours) it seems like it can lead to your personal account being exposed to outside access.

My coworker got a new office smart phone and he asked "is this your personal FB feed?", the FB app came preinstalled and apparently logged on with my account automatically. Nobody ever typed in a password anywhere on the phone.

We deleted the FB app from the phone, I don't have the FB app on my personal phone either.

I really want to find out the chain of events that lead to this, I am confident it has something todo with me having to link my personal FB account to the company FB page and that is probably linked to our google acccounts or something.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just occurred to me yesterday about the advocacy for right wing comedians on the BBC. I find myself wondering exactly what jokes they would be able to make if you gave them a set.

It reminds me of SNL hiring Shane Gillis pre season to fill out a right-wing diversity quota, and then firing him before the season started because surprise surprise, he was a racist, homophobic piece of poo poo.

If you look at the values the right stands for how the gently caress are they supposed to say any of it? Racism? Not allowed, not even foot-in-the-door calling refugees immigrants stuff. Economic stuff's not going to work because everyone's currently being hosed by the economy. Authoritarian right? Homophobia? Sexism?

The one thing right wing comedians are allowed to say is 'the left is bad' and make jokes about feeling being hurt. That's it. That's all they have, they strip mined it for any possible humour in under a minute, and now it's just spite fuelled wankers repeating variants of that joke to each other.

Their entire ideology and platform is just whining about the left, and whenever someone points this out and asks them to talk about what they are for, they're either clever enough to say they're "nit allowed to say it" and dogwhistle their way out of it, or dumb enough to actually say it and immediately get shitcanned.

No wonder they're not loving funny.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

This is what I love about this thread more than anything. Post a bit of obscure lore that’d been a mystery to you for decades and have multiple interesting and in depth answers pop up within five minutes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just occurred to me yesterday about the advocacy for right wing comedians on the BBC. I find myself wondering exactly what jokes they would be able to make if you gave them a set.

It reminds me of SNL hiring Shane Gillis pre season to fill out a right-wing diversity quota, and then firing him before the season started because surprise surprise, he was a racist, homophobic piece of poo poo.

If you look at the values the right stands for how the gently caress are they supposed to say any of it? Racism? Not allowed, not even foot-in-the-door calling refugees immigrants stuff. Economic stuff's not going to work because everyone's currently being hosed by the economy. Authoritarian right? Homophobia? Sexism?

The one thing right wing comedians are allowed to say is 'the left is bad' and make jokes about feeling being hurt. That's it. That's all they have, they strip mined it for any possible humour in under a minute, and now it's just spite fuelled wankers repeating variants of that joke to each other.

Their entire ideology and platform is just whining about the left, and whenever someone points this out and asks them to talk about what they are for, they're either clever enough to say they're "nit allowed to say it" and dogwhistle their way out of it, or dumb enough to actually say it and immediately get shitcanned.

No wonder they're not loving funny.

Don't forget the attack helicopter joke, that'll keep them rolling in the aisles for years.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

As long as it leads to them being treated as an unregistered attack helicopter in British airspace and shot down with SAMs, I'm all for it

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It'll be ageing white male comedians making jokes about what young people are like nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

This is what I love about this thread more than anything. Post a bit of obscure lore that’d been a mystery to you for decades and have multiple interesting and in depth answers pop up within five minutes.

Oh you want a really obscure bit of lore about that? Legend has it the flashing pattern is a result of traffic cops (not unreasonably) saying the single beacon light wasn't really visible or noticeable enough for motorway work, so mechanics at (stories vary but most seem to say the Met, whose garage was notorious for this kinda weirdness) came up with a system using two xenon timing lamps (one pointing forward, one backward) linked to an old distributor driven by a starter motor - the two-flash alternation being a result of them not having enough space in the housing to alternate the triggers from the points, so it did two flashes forwards then two back.

(This is deep pub wisdom, so has less chance of being factually accurate than even an average post on the internet, but like all pub wisdom it is true even if it's inaccurate, because it is far more beautiful than any boring actual reality may be)