Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just occurred to me yesterday about the advocacy for right wing comedians on the BBC. I find myself wondering exactly what jokes they would be able to make if you gave them a set.

There's a right wing comedian they keep getting on QT as 'balance' for the panel called Geoff Norcott. He's apparently been on Mock the Week etc but I've never heard any of his material. Should be easy to hunt down if you wanted to see the kind of stuff you're asking about.

e: cat snipe https://images-ext-2.discordapp.net/external/E4SmpbTAgEXPSBpWUntYoPOZUl-wbV-ey7uiLQEBfDY/https/i.imgur.com/xLsCZ99.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Camrath posted:

This is what I love about this thread more than anything. Post a bit of obscure lore that’d been a mystery to you for decades and have multiple interesting and in depth answers pop up within five minutes.

Says the person doing increasingly perverse things with fudge.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Not that surprising I suppose, but for a country that's supposed to be hosting the big climate conference next year this is pretty crap. Also how are you going to persuade anyone else if you're not doing anything.

quote:

UK won't commit to raising climate pledge this year

The U.K. today dodged the thorny issue of whether it will raise its Paris Agreement climate pledge this year.

All countries signing up to the 2015 Paris deal are supposed to put forward new climate pledges by the end of 2020, and there’s a lot of attention being paid to the U.K. as it’s hosting next year’s COP26 global climate summit.

But during a hearing today of the U.K. parliament’s Environmental Audit Committee, Alok Sharma, the top climate minister and COP26 president, wouldn’t commit to hitting that deadline.

“I’m very well aware that at the same time as we are calling for others to be ambitious, we also need to be seeing what we can do,” he said. “What I would say to you in terms of timing is that I understand that people will be looking to see when the U.K. comes forward, we want to try and put our best foot forward on this.”

Sharma added that there were “a range of countries, which, because of the COVID pandemic, may well come [forward] later than the end of this year.”

He said the U.K. pledge required careful “strategic” work. “As well as demonstrating an ambition, we also need to have a plan.”

The U.K. has contacted more than 100 governments urging them to raise their pledges. Prime Minister Boris Johnson is personally involved in those efforts, Sharma said.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lungboy posted:

There's a right wing comedian they keep getting on QT as 'balance' for the panel called Geoff Norcott. He's apparently been on Mock the Week etc but I've never heard any of his material. Should be easy to hunt down if you wanted to see the kind of stuff you're asking about.
Norcott has exactly two jokes which are whining about lefties and saying we should hit kids again, toughen 'em up innit *sniff*.

I skipped his bits in the last series of the Mash Report after he managed to wedge himself in there - first as a parody of right wing comedy and then as it went on just straight up being right wing and praahd of it mate.

I'll admit, I can see how he constructs jokes effectively and would be funny if you didn't understand an empathise with the underlying causes.

Also he's on all of those shows because he was put on the diversity board a year or so ago as a right-wing advocate, and has been using that position to advocate that a right wing comedian (i.e. him) should be on as many panel shows as possible.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 10, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's also got the joke about how he was in a situation at work and he almost did some sexual/racial harassment, but he didn't of course, because he's not sexist/racist, but could you imagine the reactions if [proceeds to explain in depth the sexist/racist thing].

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just occurred to me yesterday about the advocacy for right wing comedians on the BBC. I find myself wondering exactly what jokes they would be able to make if you gave them a set.

It reminds me of SNL hiring Shane Gillis pre season to fill out a right-wing diversity quota, and then firing him before the season started because surprise surprise, he was a racist, homophobic piece of poo poo.

If you look at the values the right stands for how the gently caress are they supposed to say any of it? Racism? Not allowed, not even foot-in-the-door calling refugees immigrants stuff. Economic stuff's not going to work because everyone's currently being hosed by the economy. Authoritarian right? Homophobia? Sexism?

The one thing right wing comedians are allowed to say is 'the left is bad' and make jokes about feeling being hurt. That's it. That's all they have, they strip mined it for any possible humour in under a minute, and now it's just spite fuelled wankers repeating variants of that joke to each other.

Their entire ideology and platform is just whining about the left, and whenever someone points this out and asks them to talk about what they are for, they're either clever enough to say they're "nit allowed to say it" and dogwhistle their way out of it, or dumb enough to actually say it and immediately get shitcanned.

No wonder they're not loving funny.

Guess we're going to find out! https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/sep/10/fox-news-style-channel-for-tv-in-uk-to-feature-nightly-comedy-show

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Do the drivers ever feel bad that they're holding you up from crossing the road and voluntarily stop to let you through? No? Well don't worry about them, then 🙂

I do that if stopping isn't gonna cause a crash.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

He's also got the joke about how he was in a situation at work and he almost did some sexual/racial harassment, but he didn't of course, because he's not sexist/racist, but could you imagine the reactions if [proceeds to explain in depth the sexist/racist thing].
I guess that's still complaining about / reacting to the left.

I think my point is that lefty politics can easily say the things they're in favour of. Rhey can explain why they're good things. Right wing comics can't say the things they're for because they know they're all deeply unpleasant, so all they can do is attack the left for being hippies / not 'ard / wishy washy etc.

It's like the right wing debating technique of never going on the defence. Everyone talks about it like it's some machievellian technique when I think it's just a natural consequence of some deeply unpleasant people with deeply unpleasant views thinking "wait poo poo, I can't say that out loud."

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Talking Traffic lights, in Ipswich there's a big junction that had some sort of vehicle detection going, and didn't detect motorbikes. Not a problem in the day when there's enough other traffic to work it, but if you hit it at night and the lights were against you the only legal way across it was to hit the pedestrian crossing button that would also turn the lights your way.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

Says the person doing increasingly perverse things with fudge.

Have you been watching me? What have you seen?!

Are you scarred by it or just turned on?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given the usual effects of cooking sugar I think everyone's scarred by it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I guess that's still complaining about / reacting to the left.

I think my point is that lefty politics can easily say the things they're in favour of. Rhey can explain why they're good things. Right wing comics can't say the things they're for because they know they're all deeply unpleasant, so all they can do is attack the left for being hippies / not 'ard / wishy washy etc.

It's like the right wing debating technique of never going on the defence. Everyone talks about it like it's some machievellian technique when I think it's just a natural consequence of some deeply unpleasant people with deeply unpleasant views thinking "wait poo poo, I can't say that out loud."
Yeah, it's also unconsciously admitting that you lost the argument if you have to structure your jokes like that.

"I reported the man at the cornershop for terrorism because they all look the same" isn't funny, it's just sad and racist, but structuring the whole thing as "and I almost called MI5, but I didn't of course, but could you imagine, you'd get done for being a racist these days" might get a laugh out of some people laughing about how wrong it would have been to make the call as well as the racists.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the right wing debating technique is more just that the people who employ it are the sort of people who solve all their problems with aggression.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Kinda OT but did you know that if you have your personal account linked to your company's FB page (I am an admin on ours) it seems like it can lead to your personal account being exposed to outside access.

My coworker got a new office smart phone and he asked "is this your personal FB feed?", the FB app came preinstalled and apparently logged on with my account automatically. Nobody ever typed in a password anywhere on the phone.

We deleted the FB app from the phone, I don't have the FB app on my personal phone either.

I really want to find out the chain of events that lead to this, I am confident it has something todo with me having to link my personal FB account to the company FB page and that is probably linked to our google acccounts or something.

Oo- er missus.
I need to know more about this. I was a Business Manager on our CLP FB page and am also my own Business Manager. I'm not linked to the CLP page anymore as I'm not in the party, but I might be linked to the branch page because I haven't managed to off-load that yet!
And people wonder why I delete all my posts, comments, unlike all my likes periodically.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Right wing comedy is definitely possible but the easiest jokes are the vicious ones and so that is most of the routines. A right wing comedy not based on bigotry can exist but it needs to be self aware a little bit -

I truly believe the UK is the truly fairest society in the world, where everyone is free to work their hardest and earn their rightful place in society. Just take the royal family, for example.

That is a rightwing republican joke but it won't be said by the right because it requires believing in a specific doctrine and seeing that the world doesn't line up with it, then making it humorous which is a huge part of comedy.

The right wing absolutely could attack the monopolistic nature of the press and how it limits free speech -

You can't say anything these days... unless you can convince Rupert Murdoch to pay you for it.

Again it's just observing reality, noting how it doesn't align with a principle and then making fun of it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This man has had far too much exposure. Do you know he has a patreon? £6 a month gets you "access to progress updates about my music and my commentary on political and social events. Interact with posts and give me your comments." Three times that gets you the same thing, plus a mug. A loving mug for £24 a month! And £120 a month gets you a Q&A session, early access to gig tickets and dinner with him once a year. In a sane world this would be illegal.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 10, 2020

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Incredible that he doesn’t have a podcast.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Giving him £24 a month definitely does seem like it makes you intimately acquainted with a mug.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Namesake, I get your point, I just find that modern right wing comedy as a concept kind of baffles me when they have to preface it with "I'm not racist / sexist / transphobic" because then it just feels like such a gutted, empty ideology.

I think a lot of people who describe themselves as right wing thinkers / commentators / comedians aren't right-wing by the standards of say the 70s, they're just mad at the strawman of the left, as portrayed by people who are genuinely right wing.

Which makes them identify with and get into right wing ideology. Which is probably the plan.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"not right wing by the standards of the 70's" would still mean that you're, like, OK with all gay people dying.

They are mad at actual things the left thinks are important.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Isomermaid posted:

His sister is Emilia Fox off of Silent Witness, who is a FOAF and apparently lovely, which at least in comparison seems legit

I noticed there is absolutely bollockloads of Silent Witness on the iPlayer so I've started watching that & it's quite fun. I think it's everything from season 4 onwards? Cheery episode about a helicopter going down in the North Sea.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bessantj posted:

This man has had far too much exposure. Do you know he has a patreon? £6 a month gets you "access to progress updates about my music and my commentary on political and social events. Interact with posts and give me your comments." Three times that gets you the same thing, plus a mug. A loving mug for £24 a month! And £120 a month gets you a Q&A session, early access to gig tickets and dinner with him once a year. In a sane world this would be illegal.

UKMT could definitely pool together £120 per month to send someone to that dinner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, yes, we could also fund someone to bash a random thread member's ballsack in with a mallet and that would have a greater possibility of actually increasing the sum total of human happiness.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Food security chat:

I'm just brewing up my next week's worth of lentils and was wondering how secure lentil supplies will be post-brexit.
Not sure whether UK sources them mostly from Europe or North Africa/Middle East.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sainsburys says it's 'Packaged in France' but no info about sources.

OwlFancier posted:

They are mad at actual things the left thinks are important.
That's the infuriating thing, the idea that someone can identify as an attack helicopter by saying so even as a joke isn't really funny once you understand the wait and dehumanisation that trans people have to go through just to get to a point where cunts on telly still get to ask them what gender they 'really' are.

Right wing comedy kind of falls apart once you start empathising with the victims of it.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 10, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I noticed there is absolutely bollockloads of Silent Witness on the iPlayer so I've started watching that & it's quite fun. I think it's everything from season 4 onwards? Cheery episode about a helicopter going down in the North Sea.

Best episode is when tall-handsome Doctor has been flirting with a police officer loads, and when they go on a date she gets suddenly taken out by a bus. So he goes back to the office, tells his co-workers that she's dead, and they all sit around having a nice game of cards because they're emotionally crippled from dealing with horrific murders all day.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

stev posted:

UKMT could definitely pool together £120 per month to send someone to that dinner.

Who does this thread hate enough to send there?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Technically that is also true of some left wing comedy i.e I do not empathise or sympathise with landlords and therefore the idea of them being guillotined is very funny to me.

But then I'm also not sure they're human. I know they identify as human but I just don't know. I don't think you can change genetics and I know that biologically they are actually those wasps that lay their eggs in other insects while they are alive.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Technically that is also true of some left wing comedy i.e I do not empathise or sympathise with landlords and therefore the idea of them being guillotined is very funny to me.

But then I'm also not sure they're human. I know they identify as human but I just don't know. I don't think you can change genetics and I know that biologically they are actually those wasps that lay their eggs in other insects while they are alive.

Now that is scientific fact—there's no real evidence for it—but it is scientific fact

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Hey remember this?

Well I can confirm it has been an absolute shambles so far, but I'm finally in the study!

Here's the sequence of events to date:

Thursday, 20 Aug. Nice lady phones up. "thanks for signing up! we need an appointment, can you do tomorrow?"
"no but i can do sunday"
"ok, sunday it is!"
Later that evening, I get a text from the nice lady saying to ignore the appointment because i was on her list at midnight but was taken off her list :confused:.

The next day. Some dude phones up "hey we got an appointment today"
"uh... no we haven't"
"oh. ok, i'll be in touch again shortly"

Three weeks pass. In that time, I receive the letter again. It's exactly the same but with a different authorisation code. I don't know how they managed to pick the same address twice for two different codes. I figure I'll just ignore it.

Just as it was starting to look like this was simply not gonna happen, some dude (possibly the same dude, i dunno) calls me up today.

"hey we got an appointment today"
"uh... ok fine, yeah we have, why the gently caress not"
"see you soon!"

So he parked up, we went outside, filled in consent forms, did the swab tests (on ourselves, which surprised me a bit) and apparently our vouchers will get emailed to us in 4 weeks. I still don't know what the vouchers will be for.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Yeah, I signed up weeks ago, was told someone would be in touch to schedule the appointment and.... nothing. Pity, I could use the cash (vouchers) right now!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I've spent the entire summer chasing Leicester Uni for an MA place which they finally confirmed at midday today, demanding £10,500 by tomorrow so I can go through registration and then saying it'll take them 3 weeks to raise the invoice, which is after the start date of my loving course.

I'm spending the afternoon meditating the death of university administrators.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I was wondering if anyone knew why young people talk on the phone via the loudspeaker? I lent my phone to a lad and he put it on loudspeaker straight away then starting talking to it like a Star Trek communicator - I noticed it a few years ago when I was managing another guy on work experience and he was trying to book a venue - but it just seems odd to me. I could understand if their hearing was hosed or it was a way of having your friends hear a conversation or something, but I don't know really.

or is that question just cringe 😂😂😂😂

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I signed up for what I'm fairly sure is that same test, did the test and it never mentioned any bloody vouchers :argh:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Camrath posted:

Talking of this, my father maintained for years that if you flash your lights at the right rhythm you can get the lights to change for you, as there’s some sort of sensor that picks up emergency lights from ambulances, cop cars etc to give right of way. (This was back in the 90s)

Was he as full of poo poo as I thought at the time?

Already answered but if you wanna see a cool* video about US stop lights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiYO1TObNz8&t=1004s
(play at 16:44 for the bit you're asking about)

*extremely nerdy

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Yeeeeeees.

So like 15 years ago, actual Fox News started a comedy block to try and 'provide a conservative counterpoint' to Comedy Central's The Daily Show. It went pretty much exactly how you'd imagine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXTwYBWUuZk

So bad that Fox News cancelled it after 17 weeks.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

communism bitch posted:

I've spent the entire summer chasing Leicester Uni for an MA place which they finally confirmed at midday today, demanding £10,500 by tomorrow so I can go through registration and then saying it'll take them 3 weeks to raise the invoice, which is after the start date of my loving course.

I'm spending the afternoon meditating the death of university administrators.

What you studying?

(I'm being nosey cos I'm Leicester alumni)

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 10, 2020

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

What you studying?

(I'm being nosey cos I'm Leicester alumni)

Museum Studies, which I hear Leics are excellent for. But lately all I hear is that the department collapsed over the summer and was folded into another. Certainly my own experience so far is of a total lack of organisation.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

Given the usual effects of cooking sugar I think everyone's scarred by it.

Do not insert the sugar into your orifice until it has cooled and you will not be scarred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

blunt posted:

Yeeeeeees.

So like 15 years ago, actual Fox News started a comedy block to try and 'provide a conservative counterpoint' to Comedy Central's The Daily Show. It went pretty much exactly how you'd imagine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXTwYBWUuZk

So bad that Fox News cancelled it after 17 weeks.

Made it all the way to the Prager cameo before I had to close it. Only about half the things they said could be considered "jokes" meant to make people "laugh" and that's if I was being generous tbh