Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Panzeh posted:

Being allied with your vassal is mostly there for relationship purposes and so you can help them against rebels. They don't join outside wars and don't bring you into wars they start with outsiders.

Important thing one can miss is that allied vassal doesn't join factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I wouldn't bother improving your vassals' territory much tbh. Maybe your direct vassals' personal domains, but even that is a pretty small rate of return. Your vassals' vassals? Not even worth considering.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm up to my fifth (?) character, and I'm just now noticing that, in addition to everything else, there's height. I mean, giants and dwarfs are things, but there's also just ordinary, "some folks are taller than other folks" height. Just because my current king is like, over a head smaller than his father, and looks sort of silly in his armor.

I also don't usually do the "hunt down good genetics for the best traits" thing, but when telling to arrange by alliance power, I notice that one of the most powerful guys I can matrilineally betroth my genius, hale daughter to is himself beautiful..... well, it's really not the sort of opportunity you back away from, now, is it?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I wouldn't bother improving your vassals' territory much tbh. Maybe your direct vassals' personal domains, but even that is a pretty small rate of return. Your vassals' vassals? Not even worth considering.

it's usually worthwhile, if early in the game, to at least check they have the first tier of cash income buildings in their counties. It does seem to help them get the cashflow they need to start developping earlier (was the same in CK2).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
It really sucks being the target of a crusade because one of your vassals had a county in the British Isles you didn't know about.

There was also the reverse thing once where the Fylkir called for a great holy war for Norway because a vassal of East Francia had a single county in southwest Norway that I just kinda left alone because I didn't really want a war with East Francia. Barely managed to win that, and when it was over the popup message on top of the screen said I lost the holy war, but the event popup was the usual victory event.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Ok, this is annoying. I had a really great start as Haestein, and I made the Kingdom of Brittany, and no achievement. Well somehow ironman got disabled between me ENABLING it and me starting the game. Frustrating. I pulled out such a clutch win in that first war even after the French got involved! Maybe I'll try invading the kingdom of Africa next time, see how that goes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm sure this has been asked a bunch but whats the gameplay difference of partition vs confederate partition? I'm playing as the tutorial character start but I'm some way into my game of it now

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There isn't a way to allow male/female courtiers to have council jobs and be knights while still having male/female only inheritance, right? I seem to remember it was possible to do that in CK2.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm up to my fifth (?) character, and I'm just now noticing that, in addition to everything else, there's height. I mean, giants and dwarfs are things, but there's also just ordinary, "some folks are taller than other folks" height. Just because my current king is like, over a head smaller than his father, and looks sort of silly in his armor.

I also don't usually do the "hunt down good genetics for the best traits" thing, but when telling to arrange by alliance power, I notice that one of the most powerful guys I can matrilineally betroth my genius, hale daughter to is himself beautiful..... well, it's really not the sort of opportunity you back away from, now, is it?
I noticed this too on main screen, my current dynasty is almost dwarfish compared to previous one. And when I see potential spouse with good traits that looks like Dolores Umbridge, I rather find someone else.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jose posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch but whats the gameplay difference of partition vs confederate partition?

Say you have one Duke title but also enough counties to make another duchy. Under partition the counties are dished out and their holders are vassals of the duke. Under CP the second duchy is created, and then of course the second duke will not be a vassal of the first.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Broken Cog posted:

There isn't a way to allow male/female courtiers to have council jobs and be knights while still having male/female only inheritance, right? I seem to remember it was possible to do that in CK2.

I don't think so, other than that women can be spymasters even if you have male only inheritance. CK2 had events where skilled women could get council jobs they normally couldn't get, though it would lower your vassals opinion of you, but I don't think there was a way to just hand out council jobs to them unless you had gender equality either in the rules or through the religion changes in Holy Fury? Women could be commanders if you were norse and made them shieldmaidens I guess, dunno if the other pagan groups had something similar to that. I don't think Catholics could.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You can definitely still make your mother into your spymaster, which is really helpful for not getting immediately assassinated after you inherit.

Dwesa posted:

I noticed this too on main screen, my current dynasty is almost dwarfish compared to previous one. And when I see potential spouse with good traits that looks like Dolores Umbridge, I rather find someone else.

The evolution from ruler to ruler is fascinating to me, and the main reason why I want my heirs to be my own. I think that I will switch to another character if the wrong person inherits. Painting the map is only really my focus if it seems like the character I am playing would have that focus. And sometimes to smooth up my borders. But watching how the different branches of my dynasty start taking on their own look is totally my jam.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
Can you not name your grandkids anymore? My kids are giving really dumb names to their kids and its pissing me off. What the hell kind of name is roubaud? I don't want to play as a roubaud :mad:

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Veryslightlymad posted:

You can definitely still make your mother into your spymaster, which is really helpful for not getting immediately assassinated after you inherit.

The evolution from ruler to ruler is fascinating to me, and the main reason why I want my heirs to be my own. I think that I will switch to another character if the wrong person inherits. Painting the map is only really my focus if it seems like the character I am playing would have that focus. And sometimes to smooth up my borders. But watching how the different branches of my dynasty start taking on their own look is totally my jam.

Is there a special console command to switch characters? That would be a handy thing to be able to do

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Veryslightlymad posted:

That's a point, it might be family only. I've seen both mothers and daughters being eligible for Spymaster. Not that you always want to; in one of my Haraldr Fairhair games the spymaster mother had only 4 intrigue, the Steward had 1 stewardship and the marshal 6 martial score. That was a restart.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

So after playing around with the Daura start I've found that you totally can. Just set your realm inheritance law to Men/Women only or Men/Women Preference. You can still do this even in religions with Equality.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So after playing around with the Daura start I've found that you totally can. Just set your realm inheritance law to Men/Women only or Men/Women Preference. You can still do this even in religions with Equality.

Sweet, cheers!

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

Jarvisi posted:

Is there a special console command to switch characters? That would be a handy thing to be able to do

You can switch characters from the menu anytime you want.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Weebus posted:

You can switch characters from the menu anytime you want.

The menu when you hit esc? I don't see any options there for switching

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

toasterwarrior posted:

Is there a benefit to landing your heir? I find myself in the position of having holdings in excess of my limit occasionally when my heir isn't as good of a steward as I'd hoped, and so have to pass the extras out to minor nobles. If I get more domain limit, then I scheme to get that poo poo back.

They get more life style experience than they would otherwise.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

Jarvisi posted:

The menu when you hit esc? I don't see any options there for switching

That's odd, the option's available for me. Do you have ironman enabled?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've discovered why the AI is not building stuff in their realms. They hoard their gold so they can hire 12000 mercenaries for when you attack them.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

gold seems relatively pointless once you're empire level

in my last game the abbasids ended up at -53000 gold. didnt stop them from blobbing up to own half the world

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Excelzior posted:

gold seems relatively pointless once you're empire level

in my last game the abbasids ended up at -53000 gold. didnt stop them from blobbing up to own half the world

Deficits dont matter

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jose posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch but whats the gameplay difference of partition vs confederate partition? I'm playing as the tutorial character start but I'm some way into my game of it now
If you own lot of land and you die, confederate partition create dukedom and kingdom titles of the places under your control to give to your children. So let's say you are the duke of Piedmont and conquer Savoy, you die and suddenly two dukedom titles exist and your heir lose half your land and you have two dukes children. Partition create nothing, so you are more or less safe with your higher title ensuring the unity of your land.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 10, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

Deficits dont matter

:hmmyes: art imitating life

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I abducted my liege thinking I will be able to take his duchy title from him in negotiation or something. But options were still the same, gain weak hook, convert etc., pretty disappointing. So I ransomed him, he was left with 0 gold and I immediately declared war on his title, because I said something funny to pope and he liked me enough to grant me claim on it. Him being financially ruined gave a bit of an advantage at least, I guess.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I guess I made too many cloud saves, so now I can't make anymore. How can I delete old ones? I don't see any in-game way to do this.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Dwesa posted:

I abducted my liege thinking I will be able to take his duchy title from him in negotiation or something. But options were still the same, gain weak hook, convert etc., pretty disappointing.

This was my sole experience of kidnapping as well. What use is it?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Oh dear me posted:

I found some guide that says I can plan abduction and shortly before it fires declare war on the target, abduct him(or her) and immediately get 100% war score from abduction.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 10, 2020

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Oh dear me posted:

When you have the target of a war in your jail, they are worth 100% warscore. Start an abduction plot, declare a war, abduct the target, and you win that war regardless of their holdings or troops.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Oh dear me posted:

Just need to pair it with the claim throne CB from stewardship and start the war 1 month before your kidnap scheme fires for pretty much instant victory.

E: Should probably read the next post before posting

nerox
May 20, 2001
After giving CK2 a few tries over the years, yesterday I told myself I am going to get Ck3 and learn to play it.

I did the tutorial and eventually became King of Ireland, then got the whole island under my vassalage. Meanwhile my wife was discovered to have had an affair with her own brother, also she kept popping out children even though she was never even living with me in the castle. So I divorced her and decided I would marry the King of France's daughter. I was immediately pulled into a war and basically everyone in my family was killed.

My heir didn't fare much better, as he bankrupted the kingdom in his war to make Scotland part of Ireland and eventually I just gave up and going to start a new game.

I feel like I barely scratched the surface of what to actually do in this game, but I somewhat know whats going on this time.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh dear me posted:

Besides what's been already said, abducting is a great way to fill up your dungeons during peacetime for ransoming/torturing, or imprisoning a vassal without having him revolt (imprisoned vassals are a hell of a lot easier to manage)

also sometimes it's just funny to abduct the wife of a ruler that pissed you off, seduce her and send her back to the hubbie with your son growing in her belly.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I've started converting my prisoners before releasing them. I'm not sure if it's a great scheme in the long run but I'm sure Catholic Vikings will be a little easier to manage (once I no longer need the holy war CB against them). You can also use hooks to force them to accept a marriage proposal, so one of my character's daughters is currently matrilineally married to the king of West Francia, meaning their children will be of my dynasty and thus contributing to my dynasty's renown. It might also be a good idea to abduct one of your vassals to prevent a faction war. Once they're in your dungeon you can easily revoke their titles and then release them while forcing them to renounce their claims.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 10, 2020

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Abduction is also handy if you try to murder someone and fail since otherwise there's a decade cooldown before you can raise a murder scheme against them again. I matri-married my granddaughter to the fourth in line for the Kanem throne and murdered two of the people in front of him, a third died in battle but with the last one my murder scheme failed and I was caught. By the time the ten years was up I figured he'd have had some kids which would mess the succession up, so I had him abducted and then just executed him. Now my dynasty will eventually sit on the throne, getting me that sweet renown.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Oh dear me posted:

Toward the endgame of my Irish Brittania run I started abducting claimants to nearby kingdoms, recruiting them to my court and then immediately pressing their claims

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

violent sex idiot posted:

if you turn off cloud saves it goes way faster.

this helped a lot, thanks

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I'm playing a lowly count in France. Haestinn invaded and took Upper Lorainne and made a huge pagan realm right on my border. An abduction later he's Catholic and I'm married into his family.

Now it didn't turn out perfectly as he was deposed by his vassals but half his children are Catholic, my daughter-in-law is quite nice, and only half his former lands are ruled by heathens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I just lost my golden boy heir and his younger brother to a bunch of fuckin' peasants.

I got hit with a demand to lower taxes in Whales while my armies of frothing beserkers were down in Italy, working towards the dismantling of Christendom. I said no, and a 1.5k stack of shitfarmers starts besieging my capital. (I think at one point one of my heirs moved the Empire captial from Uppsala for some reason).

Queue me losing two sons in one siege, before somehow capturing the leader of the rebellion before my armies even arrived there from Italy.

I tortured that motherfucker for a few years before finally offing him. I wish Astaru still had the Blot decision, but eh.