Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Hey, I might get more food later, the plate is still clean enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I acquired a new pet peeve while at my volunteer gig yesterday. I was tasked with assembling a flatbed cart. OK, cool, it has instructions. They handed me a wrench and told me to go nuts. I brought up some tunes on my phone and got to it. I've never used a wrench before in my life but hey, I've seen videos and cartoons and stuff. How hard can it be?

Around two hours of painstaking tightening of 16 screws later (I later learned of the existence of a socket wrench which would have made the whole process about a million times faster... oops), I turned the thing over to put the cart handle on. Except it didn't fit. I stared at the instructions some more, stared at the handle... and I realized what had happened.

There were two horizontal bars running under the bed, to which the wheels were bolted. The instructions said to orient the bolts at the end of these bars toward the center of the cart, which I had done. It didn't mention that the cylindrical openings were also one way. They were curved on what was supposed to be the bottom and smooth on the top, for inserting the cart handle. I had put them in upside down. And then spent two hours tightening screws on them. :bang:

Well, gently caress that. It was quitting time and I ain't gettin' paid for this poo poo, so I piled everything inside the cart and put the handle in the upside down opening to show the next person exactly where the fuckup had occurred.

So my new pet peeve is poorly written instructions for assembly! I pored over those stupid instructions, NOWHERE did it mention the orientation of those two bars beyond ensuring that the bolts face the center. I hope whoever has to have a go at the thing gets their hand on a socket wrench...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dip Viscous posted:

Explain. I can't wash/rinse anything if there's only a few inches of clearance between the mound of dishes and the faucet. Dirty dishes go next to the sink so there's room to work.

I’m sure your home is actually fine and clean to visit but ugh that gives me chills

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Sep 3, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Silver Falcon posted:

I acquired a new pet peeve while at my volunteer gig yesterday. I was tasked with assembling a flatbed cart. OK, cool, it has instructions. They handed me a wrench and told me to go nuts. I brought up some tunes on my phone and got to it. I've never used a wrench before in my life but hey, I've seen videos and cartoons and stuff. How hard can it be?

Around two hours of painstaking tightening of 16 screws later (I later learned of the existence of a socket wrench which would have made the whole process about a million times faster... oops), I turned the thing over to put the cart handle on. Except it didn't fit. I stared at the instructions some more, stared at the handle... and I realized what had happened.

There were two horizontal bars running under the bed, to which the wheels were bolted. The instructions said to orient the bolts at the end of these bars toward the center of the cart, which I had done. It didn't mention that the cylindrical openings were also one way. They were curved on what was supposed to be the bottom and smooth on the top, for inserting the cart handle. I had put them in upside down. And then spent two hours tightening screws on them. :bang:

Well, gently caress that. It was quitting time and I ain't gettin' paid for this poo poo, so I piled everything inside the cart and put the handle in the upside down opening to show the next person exactly where the fuckup had occurred.

So my new pet peeve is poorly written instructions for assembly! I pored over those stupid instructions, NOWHERE did it mention the orientation of those two bars beyond ensuring that the bolts face the center. I hope whoever has to have a go at the thing gets their hand on a socket wrench...

How have you never used a wrench, heard of a socket wrench, or assembled anything before?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Iron Crowned posted:

How have you never used a wrench, heard of a socket wrench, or assembled anything before?

Hey I'm not quite that bad. I never said I hadn't ever assembled something before! Just mostly model planes and poo poo, computer stuff, or Ikea furniture. Things that either come with their own tools or don't require anything more complicated than a screwdriver or a hammer.

My high school didn't have a machine shop, (It being an all-girls parochial school probably contributes to this. :v:). Before this point I had never had to assemble anything that required for real tools and I didn't know what a socket wrench was.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Silver Falcon posted:

Hey I'm not quite that bad. I never said I hadn't ever assembled something before! Just mostly model planes and poo poo, computer stuff, or Ikea furniture. Things that either come with their own tools or don't require anything more complicated than a screwdriver or a hammer.

My high school didn't have a machine shop, (It being an all-girls parochial school probably contributes to this. :v:). Before this point I had never had to assemble anything that required for real tools and I didn't know what a socket wrench was.

That all girls and all boys religious nonsense schools with different curriculums exist is one of those thing that’s never stopped hitting me

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

"Patrons got X for free!"
No they didn't, they explicitly paid for something and got it. A lot of patreon creators keep using similar wording, as if paying for a patreon subscription/support tier is just a thing that happens separately, but wow look at all this free stuff you're getting.
If you've got a netflix subscription you're paying for the ability to stream stuff. You're not just paying for a netflix subscription and then 'wow look at all this stuff you can stream for free!'

The only way they can really say that patrons get stuff for free is if the only tier they offer is a 'pay whatever you want in tips' tier, where they just get whatever bonus stuff the creator makes regardless of pledge amount.
But you're explicitly setting tiers, where people pay a set amount of money to get specific things. This is not 'getting it for free.' :arghfist:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've always been irked by how Amazon markets Prime as "free shipping". It's not free shipping. You pay 13 dollars a month for it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It's like when products like detergent will say poo poo like "30% Free!"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Shibawanko posted:

not using the dishwasher is so dumb. i will never wash by hand if a dishwasher is there. it's a device that washes dishes for me so i don't have to
:agreed:

After my first few dishwasher-less post-college apartments, each apartment hunt since has had a dishwasher be mandatory. Dishes get cleaner and you don't have spend time washing them yourself or play games with pre-soaking stuff.

Fartington Butts posted:

It's like when products like detergent will say poo poo like "30% Free!"
Or buy one get one free sales except they're for stuff where that sale is going on 99% of the time. There's a few products at Meijer that happens to. It's also pretty much Bath & Body Works' entire business model.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Haifisch posted:

It's also pretty much Bath & Body Works' entire business model.

That's how I ended up with like 10 different things of hand sanitizer last year (was cashiering). That ended up working out pretty well, though.

Edit: Though yeah chips and crackers are almost either always BOGO or close to 50% off. It''d be dumb to buy a bag of chips at the full $5.

Fartington Butts has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Sep 4, 2020

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Didn't JC Penney get sued for that poo poo? Pretending that something was on sale when it's never been sold at the "original" price?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Riatsala posted:

Didn't JC Penney get sued for that poo poo? Pretending that something was on sale when it's never been sold at the "original" price?

I'm not sure if they got sued, but a few years backloving decade ago goddamn I'm old, the CEO shifted policy to stop the perpetual sales and trust that people would come in for standard fair prices that were basically the same as sale prices. It was a disaster and they almost went under. Psychology is weird.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my internet provider has been the target of a few ddos attacks recently so the internet and tv have been out a few times. no big deal i know that ddos attacks can be hard to defend against

but now theyve hired a callcenter to call each of their customers to "ask them about their virus scanner", like telling them to use a virus scanner and update their windows and firewall. it's so obviously an attempt to make it seem like they are taking the problem seriously while at the same time creating the suggestion that their own customers are somehow the cause of the problem. no motherfuckers youre the ones who are being hacked here, don't take advantage of doddering old people on the phone who dont know what a ddos is to make yourselves look better

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the internet in general has become shittier over time of course but probably the worst thing is how hard it is to just get hold of an image nowadays. this started when google gutted their convenient image search so you can't actually link through to the image directly anymore, and internet cancer sites like pinterest which, even if you look on the page that's supposed to contain the picture you found in google image search, just gives you a flood of unrelated pictures

are there any browser plugins that get around this bullshit in some way?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

google gutted their convenient image search so you can't actually link through to the image directly anymore

What do you mean? I just tried image searching stuff and I can right-click the picture to save it or copy the URL. :confused:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Riatsala posted:

After stores started getting in trouble for that, the stores local to me switched to the tactic of hand writing price labels with a marker to create the impression that something was marked down from its usual price without actually saying it. So now the grocery store has some kid that's stuck writing price labels by hand 14 hours a day.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fartington Butts posted:

That's how I ended up with like 10 different things of hand sanitizer last year (was cashiering). That ended up working out pretty well, though.

Edit: Though yeah chips and crackers are almost either always BOGO or close to 50% off. It''d be dumb to buy a bag of chips at the full $5.

When I worked at BBW, they would just give us a shitload of product for free. Seemed like every week they were handing out soap, body wash, or hand sanitizer. On rare occasions it was a small candle.

When I moved, I had a big box of soap that I traded for beer at my bar.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Oh my loving god agreed

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

What am I looking for here?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

What do you mean? I just tried image searching stuff and I can right-click the picture to save it or copy the URL. :confused:
It's fine on desktop but trying to get an actual image link involves a bunch of extra steps on mobile.

Dip Viscous posted:

They're not standing where the marker says they should stand.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Floor stickers count as cracks and you wouldn't want to step on one if you care at all about your mother's back. Also they're lava.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dip Viscous posted:

Stand on or behind the place clearly marked to stand to minimize the spread of loving deadly plague and don't whine if it takes half a minute longer to check out at the grocery store.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's the on-foot equivalent of people who pull forward into the crosswalk at a red light.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I guess I'm the peeve of a lot of people, because I've always thought of those as "queue forms here" and not "you must literally stand on top of the dot". Stores here have always had them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dunno how often you check the news but it's recently become a little more important to maintain at least a specific amount of distance from other people. If only there was a convenient way to give people standing in a line a visual indicator of that distance so they don't have to eyeball it!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Dip Viscous posted:

I guess I'm the peeve of a lot of people, because I've always thought of those as "queue forms here" and not "you must literally stand on top of the dot". Stores here have always had them.

The ones in that chain of supermarket that Tiggum posted are a series of dots on the floor leading to the self checkouts and it's really clear that you are meant to stand on the dot to be the appropriate amount of space from the person in front and behind you.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Oh, if it's a series of dots that seems like a good system. I've only ever seen single dots at the front of each line.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The way every social media site and video chat platform just aggressively crops images/videos without asking. No point trying to carefully position your webcam to make sure everything's in frame because the edges are going to get cut off half the time anyway. And it's great how, when I see a comic or something on Twitter or Facebook, it's even odds that the first bit I see will be the punchline.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Tiggum posted:

The way every social media site and video chat platform just aggressively crops images/videos without asking. No point trying to carefully position your webcam to make sure everything's in frame because the edges are going to get cut off half the time anyway. And it's great how, when I see a comic or something on Twitter or Facebook, it's even odds that the first bit I see will be the punchline.

Yup, it's super garbage.
It's amazing how much of that bad poo poo is purely to loving force people to click through to new pages to generate an additional round of pageviews/impressions.
Not too long ago you could click on a tweet and just have it pop out at full size, but now you're forced onto a new url.

Also ugh.
I tend to open youtube videos in incognito to avoid various stuff clogging up my history/changing my reccomendations and etc. (Yes, you can clean it, but if I encounter a video in a thread I'll likely just open it in incognito.)
But google in it's infinite wisdom has changed their EULA or whatever the gently caress yet again, so most of the time I hit a google site there's a 'yeah yeah I agree to the new eula' popup.
On youtube there is also a 'HOW loving DARE YOU NOT BE SIGNED IN' popup as well.

So opening a youtube video in icognito is now
Open page, video starts loading.
Video blanks out, a 'loving sign in you piece of poo poo' popup comes up. close that.
Google eula thing pops up.
And once both of those are closed, the video resets to the start, even if the url has a timestamp in it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i open half the stuff i click incognito, any link i click on here goes in incognito mode basically, just because if i dont itll get used for various algorithmic purposes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You have an office right down the hall, why the gently caress are you bullshitting with, who I assume is your husband outside of my cubicle, on your cell phone?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Because the Australian government wants Google and Facebook to pay for news content now from Australia, Google had pop ups all over their content in Australia complaining about this and urging Australians to complain to the government because Google and Facebook are throwing a tanty and threatening to withdraw news services from Australia all together rather than pay.
People must have complained about the pop ups because they’re gone now.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Iron Crowned posted:

You have an office right down the hall, why the gently caress are you bullshitting with, who I assume is your husband outside of my cubicle, on your cell phone?

Related: Just because my cube is next to the best conference room doesn't mean it's prime real estate for holding a post-meeting scrum. Go the gently caress back to your department and debrief there.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tiggum posted:

Related to social media garbage, I don't use instagram that much. I follow a couple artists I like and a couple dumb "meme factory" ones (Middle Class Facy is mostly a pro click, for example.) They're like 99% just single image posts. Easy to view.

But my girlfriend is a massive insta user, and is always showing me things, like videos and slide shows.

Instagram video player is the worst. No progress indicator, you can't go back or fast forward, your only options are play from start and pause.

And other times things are in a "slide show" format, so she hands me her phone to view one picture in it, but then I guess I'm the idiot because I forget that to "pause" the slide show you have to keep your finger touching the screen, and in the hand-off her thumb leaves the screen but I'm not touching it, so it auto scrolls to the next one and I have to exit the slide show, go back to the post, start it, and wait to get to that pic in the middle of the loving slide show she wanted to show me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
hellworld online class peeve: dumbshit class discussion boards that give me a mandatory sentence count instead of a word count.

Also "professors" whose entire class is just an online module we have to pay $100+ for that provides the text, the quizzes, the tests, the everything, grades it all, etc. Why the gently caress are they paying these people?

Also the prof that gave me a 50/100 on my loving "introduce yourself" discussion posts that absolutely shouldn't exist.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My son's online French assignments are a big peeve right now. There's not enough context to answer the questions correctly--is this nondescript female-presenting person sitting at an individual desk in a classroom a girl, a woman, a student in high school or below, a college student, or possibly a classmate? All of these nouns are on his vocab sheet, and the answers are free-text. He can submit it twice and fix any errors, but that's not enough opportunities to try all the potential correct answers. And some of them are just strange; that person's desk is somehow not a desk, but a table? How can we tell? I thought a big clue was that students sit at desks, not at tables, but :psyduck:

Thankfully the teacher realizes this and has built in some wiggle room on her end. But the textbook's official online portal could be a lot better, to say the least.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

most teaching materials are absolute poo poo and most of a teacher's job is just to adapt what little can be used

i have to teach kids with an online system that has unskippable speaking assignments where they have to listen to a word and record themselves saying it. the school didnt provide microphones and most of the microphones on their laptops dont work properly. i also just dont see the point of the assignment, but the system demands that the kids do this before they can continue with the other assignments (which are mostly low-level gap fill things)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People constantly abuse teachers and refuse to pay more taxes to help so they’re underfunded and overworked and then people wonder why their children are so stupid.