Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
And there suddenly Twitter is rendering fully inline again, and only god knows why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The “OP’s name is blue” thing doesn’t work in threads you go to from the Leper’s Colony.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've never seen negative new posts before :chanpop:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
my posting is just that bad :[

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

my posting is just that bad :[

hah!

If I try and click this link in the app, it never loads (:v: just spins).
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411101
Browser is no problem. Is it because of broken images? Or nested quotes? Or just archives?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Loads fine for me, and I don't have archives, so it's not that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
After a couple of minutes it did go. So I guess it's just waiting for the broken image to timeout.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This weird thing happened.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I get that sometimes! I’ve never been able to recreate it but it’s the loading smilie being stretched out and the only common occurrence I think I’ve noticed is I get it when I’m in a poor signal area.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

It's really frustrating to have my text scaling settings randomly ignored, but it happens a lot! They were being ignored in a YOSPOS thread, so I came here to make a bug report and they're back to normal. Generally I can get it to start working correctly for a bit by going to settings and changing the value (or maybe just going to settings without changing the value?)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Achmed Jones posted:

It's really frustrating to have my text scaling settings randomly ignored, but it happens a lot! They were being ignored in a YOSPOS thread, so I came here to make a bug report and they're back to normal. Generally I can get it to start working correctly for a bit by going to settings and changing the value (or maybe just going to settings without changing the value?)

I've observed this happening when we're restored after some time in the background. I think the WebView preparation code isn't re-running correcting in that case, or something. Usually it goes away if I go to any other thread than the one that was loaded when I put Awful into the background. Does that match your experience?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Test post for youtube handling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGWrFeu8Hv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO6hboYWnfM

this link has custom text

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Apropos which, I've just pushed a small change so that we will no longer inline the case where there is a link to a youtube video in a [url] with custom link text, to match the forum and not lose information in those cases. This is the third case in the above post.

I didn't go farther and make us also not inline the second case, which is a youtube link inside a [url] with default text, which the forums don't inline. The website requires use of [video], which we could just detect based on the presence of the class bb_video or whatever. I don't feel that strongly about matching the forum behaviour, and since we can copy the URL of embedded videos it seems like a harmless deviation, but if pokey feels otherwise then I can make that change instead.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Subjunctive posted:

I've observed this happening when we're restored after some time in the background. I think the WebView preparation code isn't re-running correcting in that case, or something. Usually it goes away if I go to any other thread than the one that was loaded when I put Awful into the background. Does that match your experience?

That’s exactly what happens for me fwiw

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Would it be possible to enable discord links like this to embed if they’re a supported file type? A quick workaround exists by having box installed so it’s not a pressing issue.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

astral posted:

If any third-party app thing for some reason relies on the pages div existing but being empty (no pages), please alter your detection so it is equally happy if the pages div is not there to begin with.

Likewise if it relies on the top/bottom pages div classes; those are most likely going to go. It'll just have the class "pages".

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
Images in the leper's colony is a great addition, props to whoever added that :cheerdoge:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Warbird posted:

Would it be possible to enable discord links like this to embed if they’re a supported file type? A quick workaround exists by having box installed so it’s not a pressing issue.

Yep! Just pushed a basic fix. If you know how to get a poster image out of discord, let me know.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

quoting so i remember to get around to this later

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

test post for :nws: twitter non-embedding

https://twitter.com/wikkit/status/1302628302742487040?s=20

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

testing quotes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

testing :nws: nesting

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

and once more to make sure I didn't just break all embedding

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

teen witch posted:

I feel like a moron but why can’t I upload GIFs? It goes right to non animated PNGs

Probably something I did bad, I'll take a look.

ulmont posted:

There's something strange on an iPhone (6s, iOS 13.6.1) showing the Leper's Colony (or Rap sheets). I didn't have a problem with these on an iPad, but check out how Owlofcreamcheese's 3day is showing up (and everyone else on this page).

Yeah that's off. Might be related to the image support? I'll add it to the list!

mike- posted:

Did something change with the links for quotes? When I click a quote to go back to the linked post it’s not working correctly anymore. It looks like it goes to the latest unread post on the page instead.

It might be from my somewhat recent mucking with trying to jump to a particular post on a page? I'll make a note. May or may not be relevant, but what do you have "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" set to in your User Control Panel?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The noseen=1 stuff has shattered some stuff when it comes to following quote/lepers colony links in a way that I’m having a hard time explaining because it breaks my brain. Basically it’ll make following quotes in a thread that has new unread posts do the unread posts instead, and hitting previous posts is broken. I haven’t been able to reliably replicate it and when it’s going on I’m too :psyduck: to really tell exactly what it’s doing.

Sounds similar to the above actually. Or maybe two different symptoms of some underlying think i broke? Anyway, it's on my list now!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Any thoughts towards adding user notes?

Only that it's occurred to me as a possibly useful feature. I'm certainly on board with the idea.

I've been thinking for awhile that the Profile and Rap Sheet modals should combine into a single tabbed modal, and that'd be a good spot to add a third tab for user notes. (Also, "user notes" is a less creepy name than "goons.xls", which is what I was calling this before.)

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The “OP’s name is blue” thing doesn’t work in threads you go to from the Leper’s Colony.

Weird! I'll add it to my list.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've never seen negative new posts before :chanpop:

I think this has been a thing for awhile, but I'll +1 it on the list, as I didn't know it was still a thing.

Charles posted:

hah!

If I try and click this link in the app, it never loads (:v: just spins).
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411101
Browser is no problem. Is it because of broken images? Or nested quotes? Or just archives?

Could be a broken image. It's a bit of an art to figure out when the page has finished loading enough to drop the loading screen. Currently I think the strategy is to wait for everything in the markup proper to load (which includes images, but not iframes like embeds). Not sure that's the best strategy though. My goal is to avoid showing a half-rendered page and then have stuff start jumping around as images come in.

LuckyCat posted:

This weird thing happened.

Ugh, I hate the pull to refresh stuff. You can use the thing built into iOS, which I think mostly works ok now but it looks as it looks. If you want any customization then it's full reimplementation time. Or find a library, but every library sucks in its own way. Anyway, will add it to my list!

Achmed Jones posted:

Changing the setting will update the rendered posts (as will changing it and then changing it right back while still in Settings).

As mentioned, there's some known issues restoring from Awful being terminated, so if it seems to happen after you've been away from Awful for awhile (or been using a bunch of other apps in the meantime) that could be good to know. Regardless, it should Just Work, so lemme add it to the list!

Thanks! I think Awful handles a missing pages div ok, but I haven't actually tested that, so lemme make a note. Or if carry on then beats me to it, great!

Subjunctive posted:

bunch o' improvements

Thanks for all this!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

We spinning, skull?

E: ok so the issue is I think the Imgur bit is uploading gif as a png? The Sam Hill?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

teen witch posted:

We spinning, skull?

E: ok so the issue is I think the Imgur bit is uploading gif as a png? The Sam Hill?

I'm not sure what or when it happened but sometime in the last year every OS simultaneously decided to change how copy/paste would work when handling gifs. It will now only copy the frame instead of the entire gif. iOS, windows 10, OSX, you name it. It's real lame

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Are there any plans to add any moderation type tools or abilities? I'm only an IK, but the ability to edit titles, change tags and such from mobile would be rad. Is this even possible? Sorry if this was brought up before.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

LODGE NORTH posted:

Are there any plans to add any moderation type tools or abilities? I'm only an IK, but the ability to edit titles, change tags and such from mobile would be rad. Is this even possible? Sorry if this was brought up before.

Unless either a mod is willing to add those features for us or someone makes pokeyman IK we don’t even know what the HTML looks like for those features and wouldn’t be able to test them if we did, unfortunately.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Might be worth asking an admin to make them IK of this thread.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

carry on then posted:

Unless either a mod is willing to add those features for us or someone makes pokeyman IK we don’t even know what the HTML looks like for those features and wouldn’t be able to test them if we did, unfortunately.

As far as I can tell, he is IK somewhere. He's got the lil purplish-grey star we all get.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I think someone gave me something awhile back so I could add those exact things to the app. So far I haven't actually done that. It's on my list though!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

I think someone gave me something awhile back so I could add those exact things to the app. So far I haven't actually done that. It's on my list though!

Go sling some sixers in the name of "testing" :devil:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

pokeyman posted:

If you've got the tools, gimme a sixer for testing.

I can call you a dickhead if it'd help...

(you're totally not a dickhead, of course, quite the opposite.)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

carry on then posted:

Go sling some sixers in the name of "testing" :devil:

I volunteer for comedy 6ers to get gif proves working. Also discord embeds are working great, thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Warbird posted:

I volunteer for comedy 6ers to get gif proves working. Also discord embeds are working great, thanks!

They're working too well, and the embed even if there's a :nws: in the post!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/401472926312038412/752002884446453851/video0-34.mp4 for testing

Warbird
May 23, 2012

A fun thing to suss out, but a low priority I’d imagine. I could see that being an issue on the web client, but I’d hope goons would know better than to install the app on their work phones. That’s not counting folks who wouldn’t want to see for others reasons though.

Btw, is the app inserting a space when pasting URLs intended behavior? It’s not really an issue, but I was curious why it did that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive posted:

They're working too well, and the embed even if there's a :nws: in the post!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/401472926312038412/752002884446453851/video0-34.mp4 for testing

This is going to be harder to fix than I thought, because the nodes we get back from nodes:matchingSelector in embedVideos seem to all be parented by the <body> of the document, so I can't find their containing posts to check. I could redo embedVideos to first find each post and then check for NWS before embedding contained videos, as probably the easiest path forward. What say you, pokey and carry?

Warbird posted:

Btw, is the app inserting a space when pasting URLs intended behavior? It’s not really an issue, but I was curious why it did that.

Last I looked at that long ago the space was in the clipboard, so we'd have to detect URLs that were being pasted and trim training whitespace or something.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 11, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

also (double post):

What do people think about an option to use postimages.org instead of imgur for in-app uploads? They look like they’d be much nicer to work with and I’m seeing them used more and more in the wild.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've brought it up before but quoting mp4's still breaks tables on my SE. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stare-Out posted:

I've brought it up before but quoting mp4's still breaks tables on my SE. :(

hmm. can you share a screenshot of that?