Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

christmas boots posted:

If you're going that far might as well shoot for quadrillionaire

I don't believe anyone else will ever have that much money. Once global warming gets into high gear the ability for anyone to make money is going to be drastically curtailed.

Trillion is an achievable goal, and it would cement him as the richest man who has ever lived and would keep his name in the history books for as long as we're still printing them.

Like I said, it's a hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is it even possible for a Ma Bell enforced breakup in 2020

Late to this party, but NPR's Planet Money podcast did an excellent series on Antitrust.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/...nited%20States.

Antitrust laws are overdue an adjustment in my opinion. Along with our overall financial policy. There is so much brokenness that can be traced back to the Nixon administration.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volcott posted:

A guillotine or prestige television?

Prestige guillotines, baby.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/1303409271854559232?s=21

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I guess idiocracy wasnt a documentary

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that is a huge blow for me

these are dark times

I'll never be able to say "let's go to buttfuckers" again, probably

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That “RESTAURANT SPACE” sign should be shifted two ems camera left.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

It's going to be McDonald's

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Aw. I actually kind of like Fuddruckers. They have that topping bar, plus buffalo and ostrich burgers. I only eat there when I go to Vegas, because they have one at the Orleans, but still.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I saw a reply to another story about the liquidation with the person saying they liked Luby's but was always worried some old person would come through the wall in their car and I was thinking are they not aware of what Luby's is most infamous for?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
These are four very American paragraphs.

quote:

The Luby's shooting, also known as the Luby's massacre, was a mass shooting that took place on October 16, 1991, at a Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas. The perpetrator, George Hennard, drove his pickup truck through the front window of the restaurant. He quickly shot and killed 23 people, and wounded 27 others. He had a brief shootout with police, refused their orders to surrender, and fatally shot himself.

At the time, the shooting was the deadliest mass shooting by a lone gunman in U.S. history, being surpassed 16 years later by the Virginia Tech shooting.[2][3]

On October 16, 1991, 35-year-old George Hennard, an unemployed man who had been a member of the United States Merchant Marine,[4] drove a Ford Ranger pickup truck through the plate-glass front window of a Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas.[5] Hennard yelled, "All women of Killeen and Belton are vipers! This is what you've done to me and my family! This is what Bell County did to me... this is payback day!" He then opened fire on the patrons and staff with both a Glock 17 pistol and a Ruger P89 pistol.[6][7] Hennard shot and killed 23 people, ten of them with single shots to the head, and wounded another 27.[5][8]

October 16 was National Boss's Day, and the cafeteria was unusually crowded with around 150 people.[9][10] At first, bystanders thought the crash was an accident, but Hennard started shooting patrons almost immediately.[1] The first victim was veterinarian Michael Griffith.[11] Another customer, Tommy Vaughn, threw himself through a rear window, sustaining injuries, but creating an escape route for himself and others.[1] Hennard reloaded at least three times before police arrived and he engaged in a brief shootout with them. Wounded, he retreated to an area between the two bathrooms (people were hiding in these bathrooms and had blocked their doors). The police repeatedly told Hennard to surrender, but he refused, saying he was going to kill more people. Hennard was shot a further two times by police, in the abdomen. Having depleted ammunition for one of his weapons and his injuries growing more severe, he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head.[5][10]

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Weird that in Texas of all places, the good guys with guns didn’t stop the bad guy with a gun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Don't forget the woman who got elected to the Texas legislature after her parents were murdered in the massacre and got Texas's gun laws changed for the worse because she thought that if she didn't have to leave her gun in her car she would've stopped it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m surprised I’ve never heard of that shooting before

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m surprised I’ve never heard of that shooting before

Might be an age thing - I was in grade school but I remember it being big news (since it was the worst shooting at the time). I wanna say HBO had a documentary where it was talked about in the mid to late 90s and I saw that as well - it's how I found out about the lady helping make the law worse. The previous record holder happened a year before I was born (also at a chain restaurant - a McDonald's) so I didn't hear about that one until much later in life.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Sep 10, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Aw. I actually kind of like Fuddruckers. They have that topping bar, plus buffalo and ostrich burgers. I only eat there when I go to Vegas, because they have one at the Orleans, but still.

As far as moderately upscale chain burger joints go they were probably my favorite. rip in peace

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Is "National Boss' Day" what it suggests? Because that's impossibly lame.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

tight aspirations posted:

National Boss' Day is my birthday, so I'm always happy to just skip work that day.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tight aspirations posted:

I'd actually never heard of it outside of the massacre's Wikipedia page. But yeah it is what it sounds like.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Groovelord Neato posted:

Might be an age thing - I was in grade school but I remember it being big news (since it was the worst shooting at the time). I wanna say HBO had a documentary where it was talked about in the mid to late 90s and I saw that as well - it's how I found out about the lady helping make the law worse. The previous record holder happened a year before I was born (also at a chain restaurant - a McDonald's) so I didn't hear about that one until much later in life.

I only know about the McDonald's one because it meant they had to cut a scene from Red Dawn where Soviets are eating inside as a tank drives by.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I'm struggling with the concept of a "National Boss's Day" like blood just started shooting out of my eyes and ears because of this cursed knowledge.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

why are you all struggling with a holiday celebrating Bruce Springsteen

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

I saw a reply to another story about the liquidation with the person saying they liked Luby's but was always worried some old person would come through the wall in their car...

This is not just an irrational fear. It literally happened to me. Some old lady confused brake and gas, and drove through the window at the booth I was sitting in.

Don't worry, I have since broken up with the girl that insisted at eating at Luby's.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

5TonsOfFlax posted:

This is not just an irrational fear. It literally happened to me. Some old lady confused brake and gas, and drove through the window at the booth I was sitting in.

Don't worry, I have since broken up with the girl that insisted at eating at Luby's.

I didn't mean his fear was irrational I meant that Luby's is most famous for a guy driving through the glass front and murdering 23 people and that reply was written like he didn't know that.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Luby's is most famous for the Luann platter

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Oh yeah. And knowing about that history when a car crashes into Luby's next to you does heighten the experience somewhat.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I always confuse Luby’s and Grandy’s. All I know is that I had the worst breakfast buffet ever at Grandy’s and it made multiple people sick. So maybe I just thought they were gone already.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Grandy's is absolutely loving terrible, I have no idea how they are still in business

Like do Midwesterners eat it? That's the only explanation I can think of

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

MacheteZombie posted:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

Grandy's is absolutely loving terrible, I have no idea how they are still in business

They do, a lot.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

hawowanlawow posted:

I have literally never heard of Grandy's before now and I've spent my entire life in the midwest.

Googling it tells me:

quote:

Location states

Texas (17)
New Mexico (1)
Oklahoma (5)
Kentucky (2)
Indiana (1)
Georgia (1)
So yes, their food is so awful that most of the midwest doesn't even want it. But Texas sure does.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wow they must be coming down here in droves to eat that poo poo

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
there used to be one here in gainesville FL until it got bulldozed like 7-8 years ago and is now a PDQ

i ate there once, it was quite forgettable

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hawowanlawow posted:

Luby's is most famous for the Luann platter

...wait, what?

i just googled this and what :stare:

the King of the Hill character was named after a loving Luby's menu item :psyduck:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Luby's tastes like childhood because we used to go there after church when I was a kid, but honestly I didn't know they were still a thing since I haven't really been there in 25-30 years

want me some of that mac and cheese and fried fish now though

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hell, PoFolks went out of business a long time ago around here and I still miss their giant cathead biscuits that we’d eat there and take home for later as a kid. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good luck with that, Queen

https://twitter.com/EmmaKinery/status/1304515116822601733?s=20

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

worked for that kid in Texas!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Is “desperately trying to become Steve Jobs” in the DSM V? Seriously, that was a bit creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Didn't she marry possibly the only man who never looks up the internet?