Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Babe Magnet posted:

the only good mmo was Toon Town

fun Toon Town fact: jamie christopherson was one of the composers who wrote its OST, and he would later go on to compose for the pirates of the carribean mmo and metal gear rising: revengeance
That is awesome.

ToonTown was great, I think it was the first MMO I ever played. Since you couldn't communicate directly with people, unless you had a specific code you had a way to share, people worked out these elaborate signals using the built in communication system to connect and chat with other players they were having fun with :allears: It was probably the nicest, least toxic community I ever came across in an MMO, they pretty much solved the issue of rando harassment by making both parties have to jump through hoops to message each other directly. The meanest thing I think you could spam with the prebuilt communication system was "DONT BE A JERK"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the future of mmo is a game where you can only communicate via dark souls style prefab messages in broken english

just got new gear? amazing chest ahead. don't give up, skeleton!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

blatman posted:

the future of mmo is a game where you can only communicate via dark souls style prefab messages in broken english

just got new gear? amazing chest ahead. don't give up, skeleton!

The future of mmo is just mo. People care less and less about the “massively” part of multiplayer games

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

it's kind of sad because you're right, the future is just a lobby where you can show off your glams and then you split off into instances, maybe one or two mass-people open world areas

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

"Towns are a lobby, everything else is instanced" doesn't always work as a model but a bunch of MMOs are heading that way anyway even if they nominally have an overworld. If you're not levelling a new job then FF14's open world is basically devoid of other people most of the time and right now it's only populated because the current event incentivises participating in low level public events.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

"massive" only works with either a relatively short timescale, a fairly small world, or both. the magic of "massive" isn't that there are lots of people, but that there are lots of people and a moderate amount of them are in the areas you are in. when you have way more content than people, as any long-running AAA MMO eventually will have, and players naturally accrue at the top of the curve, the leveling zones are ghost towns and the end game areas are far too packed. this isn't unavoidable, but the structure of the game has to have solutions built-in and that's far more work than hubs + instances.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

blatman posted:

it's kind of sad because you're right, the future is just a lobby where you can show off your glams and then you split off into instances, maybe one or two mass-people open world areas

this is essentially guildwars and we ve been living in the future for the past ~20 years

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
There’s a good mmo now.

It’s EVE on your phone.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
EVE up my rear end

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

"massive" only works with either a relatively short timescale, a fairly small world, or both. the magic of "massive" isn't that there are lots of people, but that there are lots of people and a moderate amount of them are in the areas you are in. when you have way more content than people, as any long-running AAA MMO eventually will have, and players naturally accrue at the top of the curve, the leveling zones are ghost towns and the end game areas are far too packed. this isn't unavoidable, but the structure of the game has to have solutions built-in and that's far more work than hubs + instances.

RO managed this well enough by having a fixed amount of enemies per zone. If an area is packed, you can just sit there and kill poo poo as it spawns, because there's enough people killing poo poo elsewhere that new spawns are constant, so you actually wanted zones to be packed for fast leveling

Kaysette posted:

It’s EVE on your phone.

i thought i was gonna play this but then i remembered how utterly miserable actually playing eve on a phone is. the PC interface isn't exactly amazing, and the phone one is worse. by the end of the betas i was thoroughly sick of it

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Kaysette posted:

There’s a good mmo now.

It’s EVE on your phone.

it's impressive that they've made a UI so lovely I long for real EvE

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So right now TERA is still okay, but its possible future is completely up in the air. The fact that En Masse is closing its doors this year, and did not mention who TERA is being transferred to is not a good sign.

https://www.mmorpg.com/tera/news/teras-en-masse-entertainment-is-shutting-down-2000119130

DRWN
Aug 29, 2020

What was a good MMO?

Ultima Online? Probably.
Evercrack? Most likely.
Eve Online? Maybe.

In my opinion, they were good because the genre was new to us. We didn't start off playing those games by multiboxing 19 accounts and creating afk farming bots. Well, some of us did eventually.
Most of us liked the idea of an adventure and meeting new people on a platform other than the one called IRL. It was fun, it was moderated.

In UO, catching a fish, cooking, and trying to sell it in front of a bank was good, fun, and felt natural. Then you could try to save up for a boat, or maybe try out mining. But you could lose everything, you could be scammed, you could be robbed, you could be pissed. You wouldn't send a ticket because someone looted your poo poo. In EQ, you could actually discover a map. Find a gnoll cave, get acquainted with the people who go there, make friends, and grind somewhere else together. These games weren't even perfect. They were actually very limited, UI was bad, balance issues, illegal scripts, bugs were rampant.

So what makes an MMO good?
Is it unfairness? Is it the primitive UI? It would be funny if they were the reasons. I can hear someone saying "Look at Amazon's New World, they removed PvP and it sucks!" Yes you are right buddy. It is just a game, who the hell cares if you lose a few pixels because you can't git gud. If the devs were confident that they could provide players with an amazing adventure, maybe they wouldn't be so afraid of implementing full loot PvP? Dev's backing from their promises, ignoring their communities isn't helping at all. We want games to be real and fun.

We don't want 黃金賣家 spamming local chat. We don't want P2W. We don't want to mindlessly grind for poo poo, we are better than that.

We want to seek out opportunity, we want to create our own events, we want adventure. Most of all, we want to call that world ours. With all the pubbies in it.

A future good MMO is going to need a lot of space to fit all those people in. It is going to need radical systems to moderate the game, perma IP ban gold sellers and bots. Do ID verification if necessary. It is going to need some kind of a player economy. It is also going to be designed to promote natural human interaction. Which means, whether you are selling your items or entering a dungeon, you should be fiddling with less UI and more with other players.

To game companies, players are assholes; to the players, the game companies are assholes. They both are actually. But the cycle must be broken! Companies shouldn't have to decide between hiring more devs or pocketing more cash. Leave the greed behind focus on something new. Ashes of Creation is promising. Afterall, they added all the features we liked in MMOs to a new one and they do listen to the community. But it isn't new enough IMO. Combining stuff from dead games isn't going to save the industry. I believe there will be a good MMO again. I believe it will be in VR, it will be simple, it will be focused on the players more than the features and cash shops. It will be difficult, we will suffer a lot. But it will be fun for a long time. And no, you won't find it on kickstarter.com.

DRWN fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 9, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:hmmyes:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of UO, had anyone played official UO recently? I know there’s a handful of goons that love private shards, but I’m curious what the current state of the game is on retail.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

DRWN posted:

We want to seek out opportunity, we want to create our own events, we want adventure. Most of all, we want to call that world ours. With all the pubbies in it.

Sounds like you want to play an actual roleplaying game. You need to check UO Roleplay (the shard), some nice RPI MUDs (there are plenty, there's even a thread here for that), and also there's good things going on on a few nwn persistent worlds still going strong.

You can't have good things in a profit driven market, you need to explore niche markets which focus on storytelling and player content instead of whatever it is MMOs do. MMOs loving suck. It many be so that way back in the vanilla days of the MMO genre they did not suck as much, but now they do.

You can't have your own story in an MMO, unless that MMO is EVE online, and noone wants to play that

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

DRWN posted:

What was a good MMO?

They are all good when we have fun. It's fun to collaborate and absolutely demoralize all and anything at the end of the day!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

At the advance age of 25, I'm beginning to wonder if the magic I'm trying to find in a "good" mmos isn't actually just the magic of meeting new people and doing fun poo poo together. I play ff14 a ton and basically the only way I'm meeting new people is by joining raid teams, noone actually talks to each other in dungeons and most chatting in FCs is done through discord anyway. Same goes for uh, more or less every other mmo I've tried in the past few years and I feel like I might as well hang out in the mmo groups discord and go play some single player RPGs. Maybe I was just young and more social/less jaded back when I was playing GW1 and TF2

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
OMG you were 15 when you joined this forum?! Are you ok?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Munkeylord posted:

OMG you were 15 when you joined this forum?! Are you ok?

Yeah my family role models were a goon and a weeb do you think I'm ok :v:

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

Xun posted:

Yeah my family role models were a goon and a weeb do you think I'm ok :v:

i do, i will introduce my oldest at his 15th in your honor. amazing idea thank you!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Dear god

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

DRWN posted:

When I was very young, there was an EGM magazine (think of a paper book, but with colored pictures :corsair:) with an article about an upcoming Star Wars MMO. The magazine claimed that you could create a unique character in this Star Wars universe and do whatever you wanted.

There was a small example of a Droid Engineer profession that could create Star Wars droids. They could also sell the droids to other players, and even use them in combat situations. I thought "Wow, that's so cool!"

The game turned out to be almost exactly like that article for me. I had a friend that used his droids to advertise his store in Theed. Players would look at the advertisement to get the exact waypoint coordinates to his shop so they could ride out all the way to the middle of Naboo to buy these droids from him. That's all he did in the game.

There was a player in a large guild that would advertise a museum exhibition in a large building he owned in the town. He charged 200 credits to enter the museum and would have a new exhibition every few months where new players could visit and see all the high end items his guild had gathered from their hunts. He never participated in the hunts or raids, he just had a museum that he would tend to.

It's been 17 years since I've played Star Wars Galaxies, and I have yet to have any of those experiences in an MMO that I have played. I am not sure if this is simply due to me getting older, or that developers are not interested in making these types of game anymore.

I sometimes like to imagine what a SWG2 would look like today. Would I even play it? Droid Engineer is a bad profession that can not compete with Swordsman or Rifleman in any combat situation. Why would I ever make a museum when everyone knows the optimal way to obtain credits is running the 60K Dantooine missions over and over again.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

It's been 17 years since I've played Star Wars Galaxies, and I have yet to have any of those experiences in an MMO that I have played. I am not sure if this is simply due to me getting older, or that developers are not interested in making these types of game anymore.

It's mostly the latter. Most MMOs these days (let alone most video games in general), simply aren't made with mechanisms that accommodate that sort of emergent gameplay. SWG and UO are the only ones I can think of that were open-ended enough to allow players to do the sort of thing you're talking about. The introduction of instancing and the elimination of player housing and non-combat styles of gameplay took a lot of the heart and soul out of the genre, but they also widened its appeal to pull in a hell of a lot more players.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I believe that MMOs got hosed up by loot things. Slot machines that you try to pull as efficiently as possible to get the jackpot reward. Just do whatever is fun, dang. If you’re not enjoying yourself don’t do it. Don’t let the brain worms inside to delude you into thinking gear is worth doing things you don’t like for hours and hours.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

jokes posted:

I believe that MMOs got hosed up by loot things. Slot machines that you try to pull as efficiently as possible to get the jackpot reward. Just do whatever is fun, dang. If you’re not enjoying yourself don’t do it. Don’t let the brain worms inside to delude you into thinking gear is worth doing things you don’t like for hours and hours.

I agree but i'd like to add that raiding being the central endgame focus of nearly every major mmo since everquest (because that's where you got the best gear) has led to some really bland design choices

I don't think the guys who designed the first raid zones realized it was going to become anyone's central gameplay focus as opposed to a once-in-awhile thing that people occasionally do for fun

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I'm imagining Animal Crossing but with proper MMO netcode and not whatever tin-can telephone netcode they have now

maybe throw in some Stardew Valley too, just a chill game with chill vibes and maybe light exploring

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Animal Crossing multiplayer was DOA for me just because every time anyone joined it put everyone in like a 30-45 second unskippable cutscene, and same when they left

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

eonwe posted:

Animal Crossing multiplayer was DOA for me just because every time anyone joined it put everyone in like a 30-45 second unskippable cutscene, and same when they left

yeah I never got into the goon discord thing but even visiting friends’ islands was enough of a pain. Maybe someday Nintendo will learn to internet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

eonwe posted:

People learning all the wrong lessons from FFXIV.

DRWN
Aug 29, 2020

kedo posted:

Speaking of UO, had anyone played official UO recently? I know there’s a handful of goons that love private shards, but I’m curious what the current state of the game is on retail.

I played UO outlands until some time ago and tested out the supposedly new UO, Legends of Aria, which, failed miserably.

Outlands has a decent community and you can still have fun. The UI is too clunky and you are expected to use just too many additional applications such as the auto-loot thingy. They were working on a promising new client called the ClassicUO.
Which is a brand new high-quality client. I should probably check it out sometime. https://uooutlands.com/news/classicuo-client/

DRWN fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 10, 2020

DRWN
Aug 29, 2020

kedo posted:

It's mostly the latter. Most MMOs these days (let alone most video games in general), simply aren't made with mechanisms that accommodate that sort of emergent gameplay. SWG and UO are the only ones I can think of that were open-ended enough to allow players to do the sort of thing you're talking about. The introduction of instancing and the elimination of player housing and non-combat styles of gameplay took a lot of the heart and soul out of the genre, but they also widened its appeal to pull in a hell of a lot more players.

Instanced zones, p2w features, catering to carebears, all make game companies drool.

Heart and soul of the genre? Who cares about that when you can print money?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
XL is making Archeage 2 lol

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
What was the full story behind Archeage? From what I remember, goons were excited about the game at first, but then everything was broken on release and they came out with some cash shop that ruined the game. They then "remastered" the game and removed the scummy parts of the cash shop but no one was left to play the game?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well some goons harbored a pedo who groomed an icelandic teenager (and had a boat with a pedobear sail and the boat was named Icelandic Teenager iirc)
there were fishing pacts that caused goons to PvP each other
they started selling something that essentially gave you the most prized crafting thing in the game at that time (thunderstuck logs)
hackers grabbed land and the company did nothing
you could basically just go outside the world and plant hundreds of trees guaranteeing you thunderstruck logs

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

eonwe posted:

well some goons harbored a pedo who groomed an icelandic teenager (and had a boat with a pedobear sail and the boat was named Icelandic Teenager iirc)
there were fishing pacts that caused goons to PvP each other
they started selling something that essentially gave you the most prized crafting thing in the game at that time (thunderstuck logs)
hackers grabbed land and the company did nothing
you could basically just go outside the world and plant hundreds of trees guaranteeing you thunderstruck logs

Oh....

Well...

Ok then.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I tried the "no p2w" version and it was grindy as hell since it was still balanced around the p2w stuff but the way you're supposed to earn the formerly p2w stuff was buggy and they removed it for....months (I quit during this period). And then they did some expansion thing that they wanted people to pay for since they evidently couldnt figure out how to monetize the game without p2w and I heard that made people really angry?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
despite what I said, Archeage is the best modern MMO I ever played and I will very likely pick up AA2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I played Archeage up to level 70 on the free to play version years ago. 70 - 75 for some reason were massively grindy and there were very few quests, so I quit. I have the buy to play version and go to level 12 or so before bouncing off it and stopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I was real excited to play Archeage but it made my computer poo poo itself. Maybe this time I'll get into it.