Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Kurieg posted:

This isn't the full spoiler unless the inscription cycle only has cards in blue, green, and black.

Yup, it’s not a full cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kurieg posted:

This isn't the full spoiler unless the inscription cycle only has cards in blue, green, and black.

It is the full spoiler.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kurieg posted:

That’s correct

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Someone complain hurry

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

man i really wanted a modal white spell where one of the modes is "flicker a creature" and the whole thing inexplicably costs 1WW

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

how could wotc do this, major flavor fail!!!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I mean, I've got a Hallar the Firefletcher commander deck and was kind of looking forward to seeing whatever the Red spell became but :shrug:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There is so much text on these cards. I have to give Adventure credit as a mechanic, it's pretty op but it reads really nicely.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Paul Zuvella posted:

It is the full spoiler.

It is not the full spoiler. (You can tell by looking at the collector numbers, and the gaps therein).

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Many people are saying thhis is the full spoiler, but is it? we can never truly know.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Jabor posted:

It is not the full spoiler. (You can tell by looking at the collector numbers, and the gaps therein).

For whatever reason, the MDFCs are in a separate pile. They fill in the missing collector numbers in the coloured cards.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think someone did the average cost of the list cards is 5$, but that's obviously skewed the same way all magic cards are skewed; a small handful of very expensive cards and a bunch of trash. The fact that the rarity is added onto this (unless they gave bad info, which they have been constantly doing for the past year) makes the proposition really awful.

The EV is going to be near 0 with the swings being massive. This is really egregiously feeding on the gambling aspect of booster packs in a way that is far and beyond what they have been doing in the past.

Given that the extra 25% increase in price is covered by the extra 25% chance for a rare the pull on THE LIST is at least a freebie. This does not absolve the set booster from being a scratch-off well above and beyond the 'did I get a good rare' aspect of a normal booster.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Not checked against the full list, but a neat thing I noticed is that each of the main non human tribes represent three of the party classes. Vampires have no wizards, Kor no rogues, Elves no warriors and Merfolk, no warriors again and goblins no clerics, with the last two groups appearing to be much smaller than the rest. I'm not counting that elf with all four types as a special ability.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Disappointed at no vampire one drop.

Have we seen Deadly Alliance yet? Excellent limited card, love these guys just going full Murder on the Orient Express.

I really hope when big events return I can have Wylie Beckert sign all of their cards.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Man, it turns out that without the Eldrazi, Zendikar is an incredibly boring plane. The Party mechanic definitely feels like something they're testing for D&D plane and it doesn't really feel like there's anything unique about this but Landfall.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Invitational stream is up, with some serious unaddressed frame hitching. Like dropping 1/4 of all frames once a second. I hope they get around to fixing that it's pretty unwatchable.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
party and the modal DFCs definitely feel like something that'll be more interesting in play once people get to deckbuilding and theorycrafting, but also I just think a lot of it is that this is the first set after rotation so they don't want to inject a lot of wildly experimental stuff into the game (especially given how Eldraine went)

personally I'm just kind of interested in resurrecting some older mechanics that got edged out of standard, like mutate

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Man, it turns out that without the Eldrazi, Zendikar is an incredibly boring plane. The Party mechanic definitely feels like something they're testing for D&D plane and it doesn't really feel like there's anything unique about this but Landfall.

I cannot believe we are at the point where we are trying to retcon BFZ being a wet turd

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It's def an overcorrection, though storywise I'm not sure what'd they do (besides more retcons). Original Zendikar was an Adventure World sure, but one where an ancient impossibility cryptic society had once existed leaving endless mysterious and profitable ruins, and an energy running through the whole plane that made it incredibly dangerous at all times. It was both fairly unique (for Magic at least) and distilled what made for good adventuring tropes. RoE did its own thing and was successful on its own merits, but breaking the mold doesn't do well for mass market sets.

Then rtz failed to hit either note, not being adventurous and not handling eldrazi in a way that captures their immensity. Unfortunately the takeaway was 'people don't like eldrazi' so we get an eldrazi-less set, but the mystery is gone and the effects of their dormant presence are gone, so what set original Zendikar apart from more typical fantasy, is gone.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
https://twitter.com/MagicEsports/status/1304092882324852742

Didn't this start over the weekend? Why are we doing the first feature match on Thursday morning.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I cant stand corey baumeister why wold you have this guy doing coverage for this event

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

:toot: i finally got my jumpstart booster at the pre-spike prices, thanks to someone itt pointing out that a few cards had been spoiled and the price was starting to trend up quickly, so thanks!

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Time posted:

I cant stand corey baumeister why wold you have this guy doing coverage for this event

Nepotism.

Also this stream is loving unwatchable with discord connection sounds and random frame drops.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Also, good work on coverage wizards. one of the announcers is getting a discord ping every 3 seconds and its broadcasting over the stream

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

https://twitter.com/MagicEsports/status/1304092882324852742

Didn't this start over the weekend? Why are we doing the first feature match on Thursday morning.

This weekend's big Historic thing was an SCG thing. This one is equivalent to an old a Pro Tour (I think, maybe).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
PTs were so much easier to follow

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Granted, figuring out how to stop discord beeping every few seconds is actually impossible.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It’s not Zendikar’s fault WotC wants to shove D&D down our throats for a year

Like they really should’ve brought back Quests but no, gotta party party party

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s not Zendikar’s fault WotC wants to shove D&D down our throats for a year

Like they really should’ve brought back Quests but no, gotta party party party

yea in 2020 the warrior/cleric/wizard/etc. aethstetic isn't really evocative any more. it's been rehashed by thousands of other games + media properties. the original zendikar feels like Indiana Jones but the party mechanic feels more like a generic mobile game

the mechanic wanting four different creature types in play also demands that the set is saturated with enablers and doesn't leave room for much else

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

BizarroAzrael posted:

Disappointed at no vampire one drop.

Have we seen Deadly Alliance yet? Excellent limited card, love these guys just going full Murder on the Orient Express.

I really hope when big events return I can have Wylie Beckert sign all of their cards.

It's a good card for draft but everytime I look at I can't help focusing on the art. You're getting murdered, man, you could care a little.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Some Goon posted:

It's def an overcorrection, though storywise I'm not sure what'd they do (besides more retcons). Original Zendikar was an Adventure World sure, but one where an ancient impossibility cryptic society had once existed leaving endless mysterious and profitable ruins, and an energy running through the whole plane that made it incredibly dangerous at all times. It was both fairly unique (for Magic at least) and distilled what made for good adventuring tropes. RoE did its own thing and was successful on its own merits, but breaking the mold doesn't do well for mass market sets.

Then rtz failed to hit either note, not being adventurous and not handling eldrazi in a way that captures their immensity. Unfortunately the takeaway was 'people don't like eldrazi' so we get an eldrazi-less set, but the mystery is gone and the effects of their dormant presence are gone, so what set original Zendikar apart from more typical fantasy, is gone.

What is the story supposed to be this time around? Nahiri is doing something to restore Zendikar to a more liveable state, Nissa is the foil who wants to let nature/the Roil be in charge, and Jace is around because...he's the MTG main character? I don't really even get why the skyclaves are important beyond being where the macguffins are.

It seems like there's a lot less being established through the flavor text, which makes sense if they're doing the storyline posts again, but the themes do feel lackluster.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Mat Cauthon posted:

What is the story supposed to be this time around? Nahiri is doing something to restore Zendikar to a more liveable state, Nissa is the foil who wants to let nature/the Roil be in charge, and Jace is around because...he's the MTG main character? I don't really even get why the skyclaves are important beyond being where the macguffins are.

It seems like there's a lot less being established through the flavor text, which makes sense if they're doing the storyline posts again, but the themes do feel lackluster.

You have Nahiri's and Nissa's motivations correct but Nissa is presented as the sympathetic one. She went to get Jace's help because she's learned "I can't do it alone".

The skyclaves are mostly macguffin dungeons but that's fine by me because I think floating rocks and cities are kickin' rad. They are also remnants of an authoritarian kor empire from the past before the Roil, hinting that if Nahiri gets her way the kor will be able to re-establish their regime.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

wizzardstaff posted:

You have Nahiri's and Nissa's motivations correct but Nissa is presented as the sympathetic one. She went to get Jace's help because she's learned "I can't do it alone".

The skyclaves are mostly macguffin dungeons but that's fine by me because I think floating rocks and cities are kickin' rad. They are also remnants of an authoritarian kor empire from the past before the Roil, hinting that if Nahiri gets her way the kor will be able to re-establish their regime.

It seems like the macguffin might kill a lot of non-Kor too, if the trailer is anything to go by.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
did they release any of the web fiction they said they were going to yet?

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

flatluigi posted:

did they release any of the web fiction they said they were going to yet?

You mean besides parts 1 and 2 of the story?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I think Nahiri is basically trying to restore the world to the way it was when she was born, which was thousands of years ago. Nissan is basically saying that a while civilization has grown up now, and don't necessarily want things to go back to a past only one powerful wizard remembers.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I didn't know those parts were up, clearly

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

little munchkin posted:

yea in 2020 the warrior/cleric/wizard/etc. aethstetic isn't really evocative any more. it's been rehashed by thousands of other games + media properties. the original zendikar feels like Indiana Jones but the party mechanic feels more like a generic mobile game

the mechanic wanting four different creature types in play also demands that the set is saturated with enablers and doesn't leave room for much else

yeah i was interested in getting a box of this because i didn't play when zendikar came out and it seemed like such a cool set of expansions and, uh, i'm leaning pretty heavily against it now even with the box toppers because it's just not speaking to me

(it doesn't help that i find dfc's annoying because i just like loving around with decks with friends, not needing sleeves and poo poo, except on arena where they work fine)

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
flavor wise zendikar was cooler when the eldrazi were in the background being spooky. Zendikar without eldrazi is like twin peaks without Laura Palmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I agree that Party doesn't really feel like interesting flavour. "A party consisting of a wizard, a warrior, a rogue and a cleric" doesn't make me think "adventure" it makes me think "adventure game". Specifically, a game which I neither played when I young nor work for the publishers of.