Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh, nice. So I misremembered. That's even cooler and more impressive then. All those years of make-it-up-as-you-go-along continuity and the closest thing to a contradiction or retcon is really just the soft retconning of Hatred's pedophilia.

I think it's as much a testament to how 'real' and great the characters are as anything else.

Hatered gets treatment and is cured in the episode with Dog Hitler. Brock gets helper implanted in his chest then overhears them saying hatred just needs a little attitude adjustment and Brock thinks they are gonna gently caress around in his head and jumps out of the airship and rides a jetpack. *It's okay this episode is confusing because every scene jumps backwards in time so it's hard to remember what happened since it's done in reverse the idea did not execute as well as it did in their heads. I'd much rather it play normal with the same plot.

Anyway they inject Hatred with a cure and he has to take boosters every so often and it cures his pedophilia. He runs out of meds in the one where they go to the movies even and Hatred mentions wanting to go to Thailand and that it will help him like his meds.

He is a recovered pedophile whatever that can mean. He seems pretty in control so just go with super science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

*It's okay this episode is confusing because every scene jumps backwards in time so it's hard to remember what happened since it's done in reverse the idea did not execute as well as it did in their heads. I'd much rather it play normal with the same plot.

It’s not in reverse, you can tell the order of the scenes by the value of the comic book in the top corner at the beginning of each scene.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hatred’s pedofilia is an unfortunate holdover from the zany aughts and their “lul so RANDOM” sensibilities and side-effect of the show being exclusively within the wheelhouse of two men.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s not in reverse, you can tell the order of the scenes by the value of the comic book in the top corner at the beginning of each scene.

Okay it's out of order and jumbled and it seems to confuse a lot of people. I know it was done intentionally I don't like that style in general unless there is an actual mystery at the center. There wasn't some big reveal it would have watched perfectly fine if it was done in proper order with Rusty being introduced to the Nazis before getting hot melted face all over his lab clean lab coat. One of the first scenes is the Nazi being killed, who is a major character. The actual ending (Brock kills Hitler) sure is at the very end but the meat of the episode is pretty much backwards. They even mention it's done that way in the commentary and that they feel like it was poorly executed.

Is it weird that I agree with them that it didn't work out how they wanted?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The investors and killinger are greek gods of the wind whose task is to guide mortals based on their names and what he says to them before they fight.

That doesn't belong in VB and is incredibly unsatisfying. Leave Killinger as an unknowable entity sure, but him fighting the investors (who ultimately, what, killed Montsroso and accomplished nothing, did we even know what they were trying to do? It looked like they'd be involved with the Guild but nope?) in a lightsaber battle... bit embarrassing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Alan_Shore posted:

That doesn't belong in VB and is incredibly unsatisfying. Leave Killinger as an unknowable entity sure, but him fighting the investors (who ultimately, what, killed Montsroso and accomplished nothing, did we even know what they were trying to do? It looked like they'd be involved with the Guild but nope?) in a lightsaber battle... bit embarrassing.

This doesn’t feel any stupider or less satisfying than all of Molotov’s team turning into mantis mutants.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

This doesn’t feel any stupider or less satisfying than all of Molotov’s team turning into mantis mutants.

Counterpoint: Like A Friend.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Alan_Shore posted:

It would be embarrassing, but they make it pretty clear the light saber battle is only happening in their heads and they're really just doing some mental/psychic poo poo to one another. Of course nerdy supervillians would imagine something that cliche when they're really just standing in place grunting at one another.

It is one disappointment in the art book – I want to say Doc mentions having a huge mental mythos for the investors, but casually notes he's largely forgotten it, and will likely just rewrite it if they come back to them.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

One is Rusty averting disaster with his failed science. The other concerns actual gods. How can you compare the two?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Alan_Shore posted:

One is Rusty averting disaster with his failed science. The other concerns actual gods. How can you compare the two?

It feels incredibly stupid to lament supernatural elements in VB when Orpheus is basically everyone’s favorite character.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
We mentally masturbate too much in this thread.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The show is so dense it feels more like 12 seasons of content sometimes. There's so much to talk about it's hard not to touch yourself just a little

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of, surprised this show hasn't sprouted a spin off Podcast.

It has murder and bespoke drink recipes!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Aren't the DVD commentaries basically a podcast? They sure listen like one

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

pixaal posted:

Aren't the DVD commentaries basically a podcast? They sure listen like one

Honestly yeah.

Man, a slightly more focused in character Podcast would still be a great thing they can do if they can't do anything else.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

White and Quizboy movie review podcast.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

It feels incredibly stupid to lament supernatural elements in VB when Orpheus is basically everyone’s favorite character.

I'm not lamenting the supernatural elements, only lamenting when they're ill used. The investors went nowhere and did nothing. Orpheus, I love him of course, but I'm struggling to remember when his magic really saved the day (and I'm sure by saying this people will chime in with dozens of examples haha). They even had to retcon his powers, he started off as a necromancer then couldn't even bring back the boys or 20. The Triad are great but they're side characters that don't really influence the story in the way the investors did. Also the investors were built up to be these huge nigh-unstoppable baddies, I had no idea how Brock was gonna beat them. Then Killinger killed them with a lightsaber. It's just a shame. If Orpheus had killed them we wouldn't be having this conversation.

pixaal posted:

The show is so dense it feels more like 12 seasons of content sometimes. There's so much to talk about it's hard not to touch yourself just a little

So true! People saying "one last season", they could easily do another three!

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

We mentally masturbate too much in this thread.

It's actually a thread about failure.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think this thread is more just a slice of life from all the posters

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm not lamenting the supernatural elements, only lamenting when they're ill used. The investors went nowhere and did nothing. Orpheus, I love him of course, but I'm struggling to remember when his magic really saved the day

This reminds me of the time on the season 4 commentary* where doc and jackson talk about people disappointed by the orb reveal and then they say something like "Yes! It's a let down and every time we set up that kind of mystery it's going to be. That's what we do."

*pretty sure. Probably the one with phantom limb and the shoe

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Maybe it's the real Zeus all pissed off we don't care about Zeus anymore?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One thing I’ve been thinking a lot about is using your characters voices to define them and I think my chief “post-mortem” criticism of Venture Bros is that while I absolutely believe that all of the characters have pretty well defined personal voices, the entire series is soaked in this miasma of what I’ll call Whedonism, which is to say: Every character is constantly drawing from an identical pool of quippy pop-culture references.

Basically I feel like all the characters have unique pathos and ideologies but they all have virtually identical senses of humor. Every reference is delivered in the same “whatever you say, Capt. Kangaroo!” off-the-cuff kinda of way so that it sounds more organic than it reads. Hatred’s Henry Darger reference is the exact same joke as hundreds of frank rhetorical deliveries before it.

I’m not saying the show isn’t funny (IGNORE ME!), or that it doesn’t employ a wide variety of humor, but I am quite confident that if you took any 50 of the “you look like White Snake after a long divorce” type jokes, mixed them up in a hat and dumped them on a table, you wouldn’t be able to correctly identify which character is making the joke, despite them being from 20 different people, aged 14-85, from wildly different cultural and economic backgrounds.

I guess maybe you can hand wave the entire thing away with “they all went to the same school” but it just feels more like they maybe write some of the jokes and just give them to whoever is talking without stopping to go “is this a band Hank would know anything about?”

Again I’m not making GBS threads in the show, this is just something I noticed throughout the series and I’m finally putting words to.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

but know one knows where Hank gets his ideas, not even Hank! We can't even plan the nanites because they were in Dean.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
Venture Brothers is good and anyone who tries to take it away is bad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I thought the agreed theory is that hank's learning bed also had VH1 piped into it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Alan_Shore posted:

They even had to retcon his powers, he started off as a necromancer then couldn't even bring back the boys or 20.

He travelled throughout the afterlife, searching for the boys' souls, even to a layer of hell from the looks of it, and you call that "not-a-necromancer"?!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Toby Huss was the best guest star on the show.

I want answers before I finish this here geeyoucee box. Warnin’ I am turstee and it is frUUUUIIT punch and it is deeelicuous

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I thought the agreed theory is that hank's learning bed also had VH1 piped into it.

No that was the people in the basement that all thought they were named Rusty.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

LashLightning posted:

He travelled throughout the afterlife, searching for the boys' souls, even to a layer of hell from the looks of it, and you call that "not-a-necromancer"?!

He also said that all the other magic names are lame and Necromancer is basically all they have left so he uses it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

reignofevil posted:

This reminds me of the time on the season 4 commentary* where doc and jackson talk about people disappointed by the orb reveal and then they say something like "Yes! It's a let down and every time we set up that kind of mystery it's going to be. That's what we do."

*pretty sure. Probably the one with phantom limb and the shoe

Ironically the Orb reveal is perfect!

LashLightning posted:

You actually have to raise the dead to be a necromancer! Me looking around a graveyard doesn't make me a necromancer!

Bust Rodd posted:

One thing I’ve been thinking a lot about is using your characters voices to define them and I think my chief “post-mortem” criticism of Venture Bros is that while I absolutely believe that all of the characters have pretty well defined personal voices, the entire series is soaked in this miasma of what I’ll call Whedonism, which is to say: Every character is constantly drawing from an identical pool of quippy pop-culture references.

This is a fair criticism.

shs posted:

Venture Brothers is good and anyone who tries to take it away is bad

YES

EDIT: Oh yeah, I rewatched episode 1 last, it's weird how the Monarch's voice is just.... off. Go back and re-do it in classic Monarch style I say! Man, that sucked!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah the Pilot episode is all kinds of rough surreal stuff. Doc scared/pining for Brock, Brock being an rear end in a top hat that sleeps with Hookers and Billy & Pete just being jerks.

Alan_Shore posted:

So true! People saying "one last season", they could easily do another three!

Honestly if VB is over over, I look forward to whatever project they will work on next.

Maybe we'll get a slightly over the top fantastical animation loosely based on Hammer's musical career?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

As long as it follows Shallow Gravy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The fact that I just cut my lunch in half with a serrated Wusthof specifically because it was a sandwich says that this show may have had an outsized role in my life.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
dick move warner brothers

realllllll dick move

countdown to some hbomax special in 2022 starts now I guess (if hbomax is a thing)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I have HBO Max and it's amazing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

but know one knows where Hank gets his ideas, not even Hank! We can't even plan the nanites because they were in Dean.

I love the scene in the courthouse where Brock says it’s like he talks to dead crazy people and even Hank thinks it might be a cry for help.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I love the scene in the courthouse where Brock says it’s like he talks to dead crazy people and even Hank thinks it might be a cry for help.

there's pee pee on the floor!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this whole little sequence is some of my favorite supernatural bullshit in the show. i love it when characters tone switch from semi-realistic to completely dramatic grandiose speech and then back again. orpheus and the monarch are both splendid for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0emWVXgdsVI

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

luxury handset posted:

this whole little sequence is some of my favorite supernatural bullshit in the show. i love it when characters tone switch from semi-realistic to completely dramatic grandiose speech and then back again. orpheus and the monarch are both splendid for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0emWVXgdsVI

"Knock it off ya idiot! Nobody wants you open a Door to Hell" is one of those great underrated lines that's always rattling around in my head. This whole episode is amazing and it's a shame we never really get to see much more supernatural stuff in the show; there's still so much untapped potential there that we haven't seen. We never even got to see Orpheus' new pad with the Dr Strange window!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The show moving away from Orpheus and towards stupid OSI bullshit was a mistake.