Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They should've got a philosopher to define dualism for them instead.

e: Undequinquagintism is the philosophical belief that there are 49 different kinds of thing, each separate and governed by their own rules. Parliament is one of them.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Oh dear me posted:

My phone goes on speakerphone automatically, wherever, and I don't change it. If a call would be disruptive to people around me I just leave the room or keep it short, and I'd do just the same if people around could only hear my side of the conversation because that's just as disruptive I think, so what point would there be in holding my phone as if it were a landline?

My parents do this all the time and I hate it because speakerphone is a huge downgrade in voice quality and I struggle to hear what they are saying. I also dislike that anyone in the house can hear me so I usually make it short and end the call.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think its the height of rudeness to not at least inform the person to whom you are speaking that you have them on speaker phone and that any passing tom dick or harry could be party to their mumblings.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

What's rude is voice communications.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
having to listen to one side of someone else's phone conversation is bad but having to listen to both sides is a hundred times worse

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Question IRL posted:

Like this is some "Wesley Snipe's Accountant" level of wrong.

i should watch blade again

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm about to spunk £400 up the wall on a sofa I'll never sit on and I loving hate it. This "being a normal, functional adult and having furniture so your guests don't think you live like a smack addict in an opium den" stuff is a load of poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
An interesting long read for the thread to chew through:

https://twitter.com/jemgilbert/status/1304046944826908672?s=21

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Were you cursed by a witch to only buy this sofa and no other?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
A comfy sofa is your best friend and I regularly pass out on mine.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think its the height of rudeness to not at least inform the person to whom you are speaking that you have them on speaker phone and that any passing tom dick or harry could be party to their mumblings.

a guy at work has had two separate incidents where he's had someone swear profusely over speakerphone when his kids were in the car

although, to be fair, in the one I was responsible for I think I just launched into a rant when he picked up the phone so he didn't have a chance to say anything

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

What's rude is voice communications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvfGdLNz5JA

quote:

Well, actually, of course, a telephone is a fantastically rude thing. I mean, it's like going, [banging rhythmically on desk] "Speak to me now, speak to me now, speak to me now!"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

communism bitch posted:

I'm about to spunk £400 up the wall on a sofa I'll never sit on and I loving hate it. This "being a normal, functional adult and having furniture so your guests don't think you live like a smack addict in an opium den" stuff is a load of poo poo.

Get this one instead.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/sofas/leather-3-seater-electric-recliner-sofa-as-new/1383904632

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Julio Cruz posted:

having to listen to one side of someone else's phone conversation is bad

Yes it is.

quote:

but having to listen to both sides is a hundred times worse

No, I much prefer it. I suppose partly because there's no wondering involved, but also because I think having a conversation in my presence, yet hiding half of it from me, is rude in a way that merely not including me isn't.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

communism bitch posted:

Why are you being compelled to buy it, is someone else involved in the decision?

I don't have a sofa now as my flat is way too small. Guests have the choice of the rickety not-very-comfy-chair-that-used-to-be, an old wheelie office chair I got for £10 from a charity shop and a quite comfortable camping chair. I use the other camping chair most of the time now.

I am looking into those love seats (mini sofas) I posted in response to someone ITT a few days ago. It is a bit weird not having a sofa to kip on in the afternoons (afternoon kips on sofas last about half an hour. Afternoon kips in bed last up to 2 hours).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

Yes it is.

No, I much prefer it. I suppose partly because there's no wondering involved, but also because I think having a conversation in my presence, yet hiding half of it from me, is rude in a way that merely not including me isn't.

Steve Coogan on the radio the other day was extolling the comic virtues of the one sided phone conversation as the audience gets to imagine whats going on on the other end and its much funnier he thinks.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

quote:

quote:
Well, actually, of course, a telephone is a fantastically rude thing. I mean, it's like going, [banging rhythmically on desk] "Speak to me now, speak to me now, speak to me now!"

I agree unless someone gets into one of those texting marathons. As my main phone is an old fashioned nothing internet phone, every blasted incoming text makes a noise (normally I keep it on silent but if my sister starts texting me on that I have to put the volume on.). I'm like 'why are you sending me 50 texts (I'm on PAYG so every text costs 2p). Why not either send me an essay on messenger or phone. Be much quicker.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Steve Coogan on the radio the other day was extolling the comic virtues of the one sided phone conversation as the audience gets to imagine whats going on on the other end and its much funnier he thinks.

The one-sided conversation in Dr. Strangelove is pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T2uBeiNXAo

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why are you being compelled to buy it, is someone else involved in the decision?
Yes: Every woman I've tricked into coming to my flat has remarked on the fact that I don't have any furniture.

Personally I'm perfectly happy with it, as it's less aggro whenever I move house. But nice girls apparently expect not to be forced to sit on an office chair or the floor lol.

As for the cost, I''m going for some L-shaped Ikea thing because I can get it delivered and I know it won't be hosed up out the box. And I also want something that I can pass out on every now and then. But the rest of the time I know I'll be at my desk or whatever.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Darth Walrus posted:

That was a good article.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Having a good sofa that works as an actually comfortable bed is useful for entertaining guests.

Or at least, it used to be, as our friends have gotten older they're tending more and more to just stay in local hotels, at which point I'm seriously considering replacing the sofa.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

:hmmyes: I'm glad you understand.

Also if you don't spend time on the couch then you clearly need to be playing more console games.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Bob Newhart made an entire comedy career out of this and while it's pretty corny stuff it's undeniably a great setup.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

communism bitch posted:

lol if you don't use your sofa for lying on and smoking opium

Darth Walrus posted:

This is great.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

Oh I know it's not Legal.
More that this was the best justification that the AG (whose job is to be the Government's Lawyer to give.) could give.

It's a stunningly bad description of what Duality for National/International Law means.

Like this is some "Wesley Snipe's Accountant" level of wrong.

I have the legal knowledge of a pigeon, what's so bad about their description?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

communism bitch posted:

Yes: Every woman I've tricked into coming to my flat has remarked on the fact that I don't have any furniture.

Personally I'm perfectly happy with it, as it's less aggro whenever I move house. But nice girls apparently expect not to be forced to sit on an office chair or the floor lol.

As for the cost, I''m going for some L-shaped Ikea thing because I can get it delivered and I know it won't be hosed up out the box. And I also want something that I can pass out on every now and then. But the rest of the time I know I'll be at my desk or whatever.

ferchristsake, don't drop hundreds of quid on it if you can't afford to. go on facebook market or something, you can get genuinely decent secondhand for much less expensive than that, british heart foundation is good too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I have the legal knowledge of a pigeon, what's so bad about their description?

So the commonly accepted notion of Dualism is that you have National Law and International Law. International Law by itself has no use at a practical level, so it is incumbent on the country to translate International Law into National Law.

Basically when a country signs up to an International treaty (or even EU treaties) then the country has to create a version of that law in their own statue books. If existing National Law contradicts the National Law, then you amend the National Law.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monism_and_dualism_in_international_law

But the UK'S Attorney General is too Brave(rman) to accept this.

In her announcement she has side "Dualism. That's where you have International Law, right. And you have National Law, right.
Two strands of Law. And dual means two.
Jobs done.
Only we like National Law more than the International Law so we are just going with that one over International Law. It's got too many foreigners in it."

It's essentially what would happen if you asked a student to define Dualism and they started waffling because they had no clue what the question meant.

Here is the Professor of Law at Cambridge explaining why what she says is bollocks. Only he is being far kinder in his language than I would be.

https://twitter.com/ProfMarkElliott/status/1304076133827309569?s=19

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 10, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"The international law should write our national law into it instead." - The Mail

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Why is it ok to sign up to an international law if you know it contradicts your existing national laws? What's to stop Boris going off to I dunno North Korea or whoever and signing an international law that says Boris now gets to choose everyone's haircuts. Whelp, that contradicts national law, better rewrite it. We now live in a totalihairian dictatorship.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

"The international law should write our national law into it instead." - The Mail

You joke, but that's literally going to be the stance that the red tops will take. Especially the Express.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

communism bitch posted:

If I went into a house with no furniture it would cross my mind if I was being murdered or something.

Facebook Marketplace is alright, as is your local charity shop that sells furniture. Although the luxury of an enormous new sofa is a fine thing, I'm sure you'll like it. Though that also depends what is across from the sofa of course.

Trip Report - The Dentist

For the last two weeks my teeth have been caning, I contacted 111 and was set up with an emergency dentist that was miles away and not accessible by public transport, so I thought I'd chance it by finding a new dentist.

This was difficult - I rang 20-30 dentists and they either weren't taking on any new patients or would only extract teeth, and I want to cling onto mine for as long as I can. A lot of the private places were ridiculously expensive but in the end I went with a 'mydentist' in a nearby town. This was the first time I had private healthcare, it wasn't that much different to NHS dentists except the filling I needed took an hour rather than ten minutes. £120 including PPE for the dentists. Also you can't spit or drink that delicious water, which was the best part of going for me.

I'm glad I went as reckon halloween lockdown is going to sew all that up, could have not done with spending so much money but TEETH TEETH TEETH

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

communism bitch posted:

Having furniture is unnecessary foreplay, imo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why is it ok to sign up to an international law if you know it contradicts your existing national laws? What's to stop Boris going off to I dunno North Korea or whoever and signing an international law that says Boris now gets to choose everyone's haircuts. Whelp, that contradicts national law, better rewrite it. We now live in a totalihairian dictatorship.
If you sign up to an international treaty that guarantees something, say freedom of haircuts, then you have to allow freedom of haircuts if you're a signatory.

If North Korea signed that, then they wouldn't be allowed to have the haircuts rule, but in reality they'd probably just say "look everyone is free to choose between these 15 haircuts" and everyone goes back to not caring.

If Boris Johnson showed up with a treaty that signed haircut powers over to him then they would laugh at him and not sign.

The same thing is going to happen with any other treaty that Boris proposes at this rate.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

At this point Boris is just trying poo poo that he knows won't work so he can delay the negotiations long enough to force a no-deal.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

forkboy84 posted:

I noticed there is absolutely bollockloads of Silent Witness on the iPlayer so I've started watching that & it's quite fun. I think it's everything from season 4 onwards? Cheery episode about a helicopter going down in the North Sea.

From a few pages back, but the chap who created it is as right wing as Laurence Fox.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Rob_Kimbell/status/1303341496964452354

e he deleted it

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Shouldn’t he be spending more time trying to find the one armed man who murdered his wife?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

So the commonly accepted notion of Dualism is that you have National Law and International Law. International Law by itself has no use at a practical level, so it is incumbent on the country to translate International Law into National Law.

Basically when a country signs up to an International treaty (or even EU treaties) then the country has to create a version of that law in their own statue books. If existing National Law contradicts the National Law, then you amend the National Law.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monism_and_dualism_in_international_law

But the UK'S Attorney General is too Brave(rman) to accept this.

In her announcement she has side "Dualism. That's where you have International Law, right. And you have National Law, right.
Two strands of Law. And dual means two.
Jobs done.
Only we like National Law more than the International Law so we are just going with that one over International Law. It's got too many foreigners in it."

It's essentially what would happen if you asked a student to define Dualism and they started waffling because they had no clue what the question meant.

Here is the Professor of Law at Cambridge explaining why what she says is bollocks. Only he is being far kinder in his language than I would be.

https://twitter.com/ProfMarkElliott/status/1304076133827309569?s=19

Ahhh, thanks.

Now that I understand it: ahaha lol what a dumb-dumb

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

And the Treaty of Cateau-Cambrésis gave it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

justcola posted:

If I went into a house with no furniture it would cross my mind if I was being murdered or something.

Facebook Marketplace is alright, as is your local charity shop that sells furniture. Although the luxury of an enormous new sofa is a fine thing, I'm sure you'll like it. Though that also depends what is across from the sofa of course.

Trip Report - The Dentist

For the last two weeks my teeth have been caning, I contacted 111 and was set up with an emergency dentist that was miles away and not accessible by public transport, so I thought I'd chance it by finding a new dentist.

This was difficult - I rang 20-30 dentists and they either weren't taking on any new patients or would only extract teeth, and I want to cling onto mine for as long as I can. A lot of the private places were ridiculously expensive but in the end I went with a 'mydentist' in a nearby town. This was the first time I had private healthcare, it wasn't that much different to NHS dentists except the filling I needed took an hour rather than ten minutes. £120 including PPE for the dentists. Also you can't spit or drink that delicious water, which was the best part of going for me.

I'm glad I went as reckon halloween lockdown is going to sew all that up, could have not done with spending so much money but TEETH TEETH TEETH

Good username/post combo