Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Counter mobility creep by adding a mythic item with a point-and-click non-skillshot 2.5 second stun imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I wanna see a support item that is just old Urgot ult.

edit: should be clear it should work on teammates :)

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 10, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jerkface posted:

How about we make it a support's ultimate? And have it work instantly.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Counter mobility creep by adding a mythic item with a point-and-click non-skillshot 2.5 second stun imo

Jerkface posted:

how about an active item that launches a narrow wave that reduces the armour of enemies it hits and grants vision of the area

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They should add an active item that destroys the enemy nexus but give it a really long cooldown.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They should remove a few support active items and not replace them with other actives. Support (especially enchanters) have too many mandatory item actives.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So uh.... I think singed might be literally 100% pick/ban with some of those items.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

So uh.... I think singed might be literally 100% pick/ban with some of those items.

There’s probably going to a couple dozen must pick/ban champions at the start. Preseason is the time for maximum chaos.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

strong bird posted:

how about an active item that launches a narrow wave that reduces the armour of enemies it hits and grants vision of the area

And then to round out the toolkit, an item that gives a +AD aura.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Drone_Fragger posted:

singed has had a top ten win rate literally all season so far as im aware. people mostly just don't like to play him because he plays really differently, and also a lot of people still toil under the delusion that proxy singed is correct all of the time instead of almost never.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

singed has had a top ten win rate literally all season so far as im aware. people mostly just don't like to play him because he plays really differently, and also a lot of people still toil under the delusion that proxy singed is correct all of the time instead of almost never.

What's the right way to play Singed then? I mostly play Sion toplane, though I've experimented (poorly) with Garen and Renekton, and wouldn't mind looking into someone new.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

conqueror is pretty strong on singed and makes him a better team fighter, you just lane like normal but make sure to get in there and mix up some auto attacks and a flip. you go ryliandries into merc treds basically always then depending on how the map is playing. probably always righteous glory too, then maybe some kind of grievous wounds or maybe a randuins if you dont need grievous miraculously.

if you're not confident in your ability to punch the other guy in the head you can go predator and try permanently roaming, go ghost teleport and be a nuisance everywhere. i think he's a pretty strong laner and vastly prefer the conqueror build since i find you can still roam fine with it.

dont worry about proxy, there are times its a good idea but they aren't frequent and it's not necessarily always an easy decision to make. you're more likely to gently caress it up than have it work out.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

conqueror is pretty strong on singed and makes him a better team fighter, you just lane like normal but make sure to get in there and mix up some auto attacks and a flip. you go ryliandries into merc treds basically always then depending on how the map is playing. probably always righteous glory too, then maybe some kind of grievous wounds or maybe a randuins if you dont need grievous miraculously.

if you're not confident in your ability to punch the other guy in the head you can go predator and try permanently roaming, go ghost teleport and be a nuisance everywhere. i think he's a pretty strong laner and vastly prefer the conqueror build since i find you can still roam fine with it.

dont worry about proxy, there are times its a good idea but they aren't frequent and it's not necessarily always an easy decision to make. you're more likely to gently caress it up than have it work out.

Thanks! I'll put in a few games as practice. My first game tonight I got repeatedly eaten by Cho and fed my rear end off.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
support is all I'm good at, is it actually possible to climb as a support

I play as all these nice hook characters and hook chumps and serve them up on a silver platter and bronze V aphelios is like "I don't have the damage to fight right now, come back in forty-five minutes"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The enemy adc is just as bronze V (that's what the matchmaking system is for...) so don't worry about that aphelios giving you a disadvantage.
Focus on what you can change about your own play to work around it, since you can't change others.
If your lane partner is being super passive and positioning too far back to follow up on your hook, position backwards with him and don't make any aggro moves that will take you into a 1v2.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Support is a pretty decent role to climb on. Lux is OP in solo queue at the moment so long as you don’t have an aneurism and try building Luden’s on her. She has a root and can apply damage and shielding and is pretty much a nuisance the entire game.

Enchanters are the embodiment of keeping your carries alive and pissing off the enemy with some such as Karma, Janna and Soraka providing good poke in lane.

You also can’t really go wrong with Nautilus or Leona as they pretty much epitomise “we’re fighting now” with the CC they poo poo out and do good damage early.

Zyra, Brand and Xerath also exists if your team goes full AD and you need AP damage and like making the enemy bot lane miserable.

All in all, there’s fun and variety in support and your ability to support in fights with damage, cc and healing/shielding can definitely carry if you play smart.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bleck posted:

I play as all these nice hook characters and hook chumps and serve them up on a silver platter and bronze V aphelios is like "I don't have the damage to fight right now, come back in forty-five minutes"

How do you expect to get to Diamond if you'll only serve up enemies on a Silver platter

Anyway yes, my second year playing the game I learned Leona and got gold with her, then played way too many games as Janna a few years ago and got diamond with a 60% winrate on her. Pick one champion and only play it with one backup champion for when it's picked or banned.

The two most important things to climb as support are
  • win lane
  • never die
Hook champs, by their nature, are less consistent than enchanter champions at winning lane; you can't just auto everyone out of lane, but the advantage is you can snowball your ADC way harder. If you're not going to duo with an ADC on voice chat (and I highly recommend getting a duo partner ADC), be sure to use your pings. This requires seeing plays before they happen: the basic one is the level two all-in, where you know you're going to hit 2 off the third melee minion of the second wave, so you ping going in going in going in then start moving up for the hook right as that minion is about to die.

Feel free to post a VOD recording if you want personalized feedback

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bleck posted:

Yes. Play supports with strong personal agency: Lux, Brand, Zyra, Pyke, or Pantheon. Practice playing aggressive early to try and force a winning lane state until you figure out the situations where you cannot force early, the situations where you can always force early, and the situations where it's purely down to skill. Always look to exert the maximum amount of pressure you can on the enemy duo without dying, and aim to get the wave pushed in so you can look for tower plates. If you've pushed the wave into turret and can't take plates safely, either roam to mid or (safely) get vision down on the enemy jungle. Spend the brain power you're not using on CSing to instead track the enemy jungler and alert your team to their likely position to help them avoid being ganked. Track your own jungler, too; if their next camps are botside, use your Control Ward to clean out possible vision spots and open up the possibility of a gank or dive. If you see a good macro call that none of your allies are attempting, you ping the objective 2-3 times, say, "come" in chat, and start moving to it.

I know this all sounds like basic stuff, but the only way to climb out of lower MMRs as a support is to play like a carry. If you were playing, say, mid, you wouldn't look to carry the game by playing full tank Sion and only paying attention to your own lane at all times. You'd instead be playing Zed and trying to find the angle to repeatedly kill your opponent, and you'd be tracking the enemy jungler both so that you know when it's safe to go in and to alert your team to possible ganks, and you'd be manipulating your wave as best you can to make things favorable for your jungler when they're in the vicinity. Playing like a carry means that sometimes you're going to gently caress up and die, or lose track of the enemy jungler and watch your midlane eat poo poo, or make an insanely bad macro call that loses you the game; conversely, it also means you're going to get substantially more games where you completely blow out botlane and turn the entire game into a one-sided stomp, or make the enemy Lee start malding when every single one of his ganks fails, or snag a free game-winning Baron while 4/5ths of the enemy team is playing French farces on the other side of the map.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

pick xerath

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

(and I highly recommend getting a duo partner ADC)

I'd like to note that if you duo with a ADC your basically at the mercy of the other three players on your team and going to feel very frustrated often because you'll end up 5vs2 dove from minute 3 onward if you ever so much as think of making a successful aggressive play.

The most impact you can get in the game is probably a jungler and support duo, free to impact the entire map and not bound to staying on one spot to get ignored by teammates while dove, you could also do Yuumi support and have your duo play some degenerate overpowered bruiser assassin that can just 2vs5 the enemy team with more movement and healing then they can handle, like Camille, Jax or the disgusting Shen/Yuumi combo I've seen played duo bot once.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'd like to note that if you duo with a ADC your basically at the mercy of the other three players on your team and going to feel very frustrated often because you'll end up 5vs2 dove from minute 3 onward if you ever so much as think of making a successful aggressive play.

The most impact you can get in the game is probably a jungler and support duo, free to impact the entire map and not bound to staying on one spot to get ignored by teammates while dove, you could also do Yuumi support and have your duo play some degenerate overpowered bruiser assassin that can just 2vs5 the enemy team with more movement and healing then they can handle, like Camille, Jax or the disgusting Shen/Yuumi combo I've seen played duo bot once.

You're posting from the POV of someone who's already a diamond+ player trying to rank up as quickly as possible, I'm telling a lower-Elo player how to improve their play. A duo partnership who can give and receive honest, constructive criticism will improve the quality of their play faster than anything. No champion, build, or role duo combination will get a Silver player to Diamond.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Knightsoul posted:

Thanks all for the tips, I'm likin' LoL so far but I still need to adapt to not having a courier bringin' you the sweet items.

For when to back, learn wave management. Not sure how it works in Dota, but the way it works in League is: When you kill/push out the enemy laners, fast-push the wave into the enemy tower (and I mean all the way in, your minions attacking the tower) take a plate if they're up then press B. Generally if the enemy laner pushes moderately hard you have about the amount of time it takes to walk back to lane to get back before the minions hit your tower again.

You must must must leave lane if the enemy leaves lane even if you just got a kill because otherwise they will be back with items and be more powerful. It gets more complex but if you follow the basic rule of "push and back to get new items" then you're doing it 85% right.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Vino posted:

For when to back, learn wave management. Not sure how it works in Dota, but the way it works in League is: When you kill/push out the enemy laners, fast-push the wave into the enemy tower (and I mean all the way in, your minions attacking the tower) take a plate if they're up then press B. Generally if the enemy laner pushes moderately hard you have about the amount of time it takes to walk back to lane to get back before the minions hit your tower again.

You must must must leave lane if the enemy leaves lane even if you just got a kill because otherwise they will be back with items and be more powerful. It gets more complex but if you follow the basic rule of "push and back to get new items" then you're doing it 85% right.

Good strategy, I'll try to use it.
Also, Nasus is a complete beast in my current trench tier, I everytime annihilate enemies with him.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

Yes. Play supports with strong personal agency: Lux, Brand, Zyra, Pyke, or Pantheon. Practice playing aggressive early to try and force a winning lane state until you figure out the situations where you cannot force early, the situations where you can always force early, and the situations where it's purely down to skill. Always look to exert the maximum amount of pressure you can on the enemy duo without dying, and aim to get the wave pushed in so you can look for tower plates. If you've pushed the wave into turret and can't take plates safely, either roam to mid or (safely) get vision down on the enemy jungle. Spend the brain power you're not using on CSing to instead track the enemy jungler and alert your team to their likely position to help them avoid being ganked. Track your own jungler, too; if their next camps are botside, use your Control Ward to clean out possible vision spots and open up the possibility of a gank or dive. If you see a good macro call that none of your allies are attempting, you ping the objective 2-3 times, say, "come" in chat, and start moving to it.

I know this all sounds like basic stuff, but the only way to climb out of lower MMRs as a support is to play like a carry. If you were playing, say, mid, you wouldn't look to carry the game by playing full tank Sion and only paying attention to your own lane at all times. You'd instead be playing Zed and trying to find the angle to repeatedly kill your opponent, and you'd be tracking the enemy jungler both so that you know when it's safe to go in and to alert your team to possible ganks, and you'd be manipulating your wave as best you can to make things favorable for your jungler when they're in the vicinity. Playing like a carry means that sometimes you're going to gently caress up and die, or lose track of the enemy jungler and watch your midlane eat poo poo, or make an insanely bad macro call that loses you the game; conversely, it also means you're going to get substantially more games where you completely blow out botlane and turn the entire game into a one-sided stomp, or make the enemy Lee start malding when every single one of his ganks fails, or snag a free game-winning Baron while 4/5ths of the enemy team is playing French farces on the other side of the map.

As a counterpoint to this, the first time I made it to gold as a still new player I did it thanks to playing shieldbot Janna, denying any and all aggressionn on my adc and mitigating their fuckups. People in this game blunder a lot, expecially in lower ranks and making it so that your team blunders are a lot less consequential will absolutely win you enough games to steadily climb divisions. This comes with a disclaimer that it was te old Janna and I haven't played botline in 3+ seasons.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like to play Twitch and press R and right click people.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Vino posted:

The remaining of wave management 15% is freezing for various reasons. There's a bunch of very different scenarios where this is worthwhile, and the most often seen and most often misused of them is "I'm behind and need to farm back to relevance".

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Jerkface posted:

I could see Trynd getting the true damage item and mulching through tanks even with it.

That's what happened with IE the last time it had true damage attached to it instead of the bonus crit effect, so we'll see how long that lasts.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I'm also a support main and whether or not a play a "carry" or tank/initiator depends on if I'm solo or duo queuing. If I'm by myself I'll always pick Lux, or if she's banned Sona/Zilean. If I'm with my friend who plays ADC I'll usually pick someone like Leona or Nautilus because we're in voice chat and I can just say "grabbing him" to immediately start a fight. I find that playing those types of champs solo usually only leads to frustration when you're getting off good stuns and your ADC just isn't paying enough attention to capitalize on it; worst case this ends in you dying and them raging at you. Pantheon is a weird one because he does a lot of damage but he also has to get right on top of the enemy to do it. With Lux though, you can get off a Q>E>R combo without putting yourself in much danger at all and if your ADC isn't a vegetable you're getting at least one kill out of it.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

if you have the mentality that you need to 1v9 every single game you're in to win i would suggest not playing support because it will guaranteed tilt you and probably cause you to give up on otherwise winnable games. it's absolutely possible to climb out of lower tiers playing stuff like enchanters and initiation tanks. supports carry games through macro play and vision primarily, not through flashy mechanical outplays. if you're mechanically skilled, then sure it would probably be a faster climb playing an oppressive lane bully mage support, but to say it's the absolute only way to climb is pretty disingenuous.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Extra Tasty posted:

if you have the mentality that you need to 1v9 every single game you're in to win i would suggest not playing support because it will guaranteed tilt you and probably cause you to give up on otherwise winnable games. it's absolutely possible to climb out of lower tiers playing stuff like enchanters and initiation tanks. supports carry games through macro play and vision primarily, not through flashy mechanical outplays. if you're mechanically skilled, then sure it would probably be a faster climb playing an oppressive lane bully mage support, but to say it's the absolute only way to climb is pretty disingenuous.

Agreed, I climbed from iron to gold last year mostly as Nami, by making sure we won our lane and the enemy adc hated their support basically with just wards, w and e. I only had to learn about q once I got there.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Lot of my friends play support and I'll adc with them, and trust me there is a huge difference in lane with a good support who's actually doing things and making plays happen vs newer people who waffle around and don't take advantage of enemy mispositioning or get caught out over and over. Even if your statline doesn't reflect it at the end of the game you absolutely carry a lane by setting the pace, as an adc I can feel the difference in skill, with a good support the lane is easy and I feel like a god.

This is also why I play a lot of Heimer bot, it's my 1v9 carry and I think a lot of it is that it lets me break the "rules" of botlane play and I don't have to rely on a support as much as an adc does, which helps a lot given the varying skill levels of our friend group. Though to be fair to my supports it's also probably the champ I'm most mechanically proficient at in terms of knowing all the ins and outs which doesn't hurt either.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

threelemmings posted:

Lot of my friends play support and I'll adc with them, and trust me there is a huge difference in lane with a good support who's actually doing things and making plays happen vs newer people who waffle around and don't take advantage of enemy mispositioning or get caught out over and over. Even if your statline doesn't reflect it at the end of the game you absolutely carry a lane by setting the pace, as an adc I can feel the difference in skill, with a good support the lane is easy and I feel like a god.

This is also why I play a lot of Heimer bot, it's my 1v9 carry and I think a lot of it is that it lets me break the "rules" of botlane play and I don't have to rely on a support as much as an adc does, which helps a lot given the varying skill levels of our friend group. Though to be fair to my supports it's also probably the champ I'm most mechanically proficient at in terms of knowing all the ins and outs which doesn't hurt either.

this is correct and has been for years, support is far more important in the game than people give it credit for: it is either the second or third most impactful role, depending on who you ask. however i would advise against the mentality of "1v9 carry" as you are not more likely to win games thinking that way and will just cause undue pressure on yourself and make you tilt easily

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Extra Tasty posted:

if you have the mentality that you need to 1v9 every single game you're in to win i would suggest not playing

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

pog boyfriend posted:

this is correct and has been for years, support is far more important in the game than people give it credit for: it is either the second or third most impactful role, depending on who you ask. however i would advise against the mentality of "1v9 carry" as you are not more likely to win games thinking that way and will just cause undue pressure on yourself and make you tilt easily

Oh agreed, it was just a nice way of saying some of my friends are terrible and occasionally you need a pick that is is 0% reliant on on your support doing anything. Heimer is safe and has a lot of tools that let you more or less 1v2 in lane if you can dictate where the fight occurs and avoid hard engage.

There's no standard adc where I feel as comfortable maintaining an even lane with a feeding support, even among my more proficient picks. With Heimer it literally does not matter.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 12, 2020

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Action George posted:

There’s probably going to a couple dozen must pick/ban champions at the start. Preseason is the time for maximum chaos.

maximum chaos would be removing Flash for Flash Knife

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
If y'all don't stop with the DOTA comparison I'm going to go into the DOTA thread and call all the heroes "units" and ask which origin bonuses are the best

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
why does lol call it 'cs' when cs stands for creep score and lol doesn't have creeps, it has minions?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Reality Protester posted:

why does lol call it 'cs' when cs stands for creep score and lol doesn't have creeps, it has minions?

They can't call it MS because of microsoft trade marks

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
League was created by a bunch of fans of the original Defense of the Ancients (DotA), which had creeps. Many of the modern League terms come from DotA, like creep score. A bunch of champions were also "borrowed", like Darius Ashe and Corki. Nashor is Roshan backwards. Camps are named so because in Dota they sat around little campfires. Etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’ve tried to distance themselves from the terms but it hasn’t really worked.