Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I live in a very bourgeois home counties village. We don't have charity shops, we have boutiques. The difference being its the same stuff you'd get in a charity shop but more expensive than if you bought it new. And I don't drive so basically I need to get summat delivered. IKEA seems like an easy choice. Also buying new means I don't have to wonder if it the last owner died on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

An interesting long read for the thread to chew through:

https://twitter.com/jemgilbert/status/1304046944826908672?s=21
Here's another long article that I originally thought was by the same author because the UK-US axis of poo poo theme is very similar, but it's good anyway.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/LabourRichard/status/1304091009815465985?s=20

It rules that we've gotten to a point where I'm genuinely surprised & impressed to see Scottish Labour supporting striking workers.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

communism bitch posted:

I'm about to spunk £400 up the wall on a sofa I'll never sit on and I loving hate it. This "being a normal, functional adult and having furniture so your guests don't think you live like a smack addict in an opium den" stuff is a load of poo poo.

Alternatively, spunk £400 on smack? :sun:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
THE BINS :bahgawd:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

justcola posted:

If I went into a house with no furniture it would cross my mind if I was being murdered or something.

Facebook Marketplace is alright, as is your local charity shop that sells furniture. Although the luxury of an enormous new sofa is a fine thing, I'm sure you'll like it. Though that also depends what is across from the sofa of course.

Trip Report - The Dentist

For the last two weeks my teeth have been caning, I contacted 111 and was set up with an emergency dentist that was miles away and not accessible by public transport, so I thought I'd chance it by finding a new dentist.

This was difficult - I rang 20-30 dentists and they either weren't taking on any new patients or would only extract teeth, and I want to cling onto mine for as long as I can. A lot of the private places were ridiculously expensive but in the end I went with a 'mydentist' in a nearby town. This was the first time I had private healthcare, it wasn't that much different to NHS dentists except the filling I needed took an hour rather than ten minutes. £120 including PPE for the dentists. Also you can't spit or drink that delicious water, which was the best part of going for me.

I'm glad I went as reckon halloween lockdown is going to sew all that up, could have not done with spending so much money but TEETH TEETH TEETH

I had my own dental emergency in June - filling gave way, root got infected then the tooth cracked. Got charged £39 for the initial visit and x-rays, then £127 to have the fucker removed as opposed to almost double that to have it root canal'd

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/LabourRichard/status/1304091009815465985?s=20

It rules that we've gotten to a point where I'm genuinely surprised & impressed to see Scottish Labour supporting striking workers.

Especially when every non-SCG Labour MP throw themselves into hedges to avoid commenting whenever the Tower Hamlets Council strikes come up.

(TLDR because I covered it in the last thread - Labour Council and Mayor seek to insource a load of services (yay) but to do so attempt to force a load of staff onto inferior contracts, leading to the rather spiffy sight of the local politicians who are the direct political descendants of the Matchgirl and London Dockers strikers trying to explain how unions are bad, actually, backed up by everyone's favourite bootlicker union, the GMB - the fact that the situation in Scotland is almost the exact opposite is somehow fitting)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Crusader Kings 3 is a fun game

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Alternatively, spunk £400 on smack? :sun:
Spunk £400 on smack, cut it with lactose, sell point bags, buy a sofa with the profit, do the rest of the smack on the sofa.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

They really think that the EU is just France and Germany.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

communism bitch posted:

Yes: Every woman I've tricked into coming to my flat has remarked on the fact that I don't have any furniture.

Personally I'm perfectly happy with it, as it's less aggro whenever I move house. But nice girls apparently expect not to be forced to sit on an office chair or the floor lol.

As for the cost, I''m going for some L-shaped Ikea thing because I can get it delivered and I know it won't be hosed up out the box. And I also want something that I can pass out on every now and then. But the rest of the time I know I'll be at my desk or whatever.

Unused sofas are really useful for dumping your stuff on whenever you get in from work or wherever

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

If you don't have a sofa what do your cats and/or dogs sleep on when they're not sleeping on the bed?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

forkboy84 posted:

And the Treaty of Cateau-Cambrésis gave it back.

Mission to manufacture claims status: failed.

Edit: beaten. I didn't really get into CK2 but maybe I'll try 3. I wasted hours in Stellaris though despite it essentially being a spreadsheet.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 10, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Namesake, I get your point, I just find that modern right wing comedy as a concept kind of baffles me when they have to preface it with "I'm not racist / sexist / transphobic" because then it just feels like such a gutted, empty ideology.

I think a lot of people who describe themselves as right wing thinkers / commentators / comedians aren't right-wing by the standards of say the 70s, they're just mad at the strawman of the left, as portrayed by people who are genuinely right wing.

Which makes them identify with and get into right wing ideology. Which is probably the plan.

Modern right wing comedy is a little baffling maybe but it does actually concretely exist, what I find more baffling is that modern left wing comedy apparently doesn't. Aside from like four regulars at The Angel, and I'm assuming other local scenes, left wing comedy just sort of stopped at the Stewart Lee level; very meta, entirely outflanked by literally anyone under 30 that voted for Corbyn and whisper it not actually that funny.

Like you're correct that right wing comedy is just a dumb crude reaction to liberal SJW stuff but honestly I think the last 20 years odd of "left wing comedy" was just a dumb crude reaction to nationalistic Daily Mail stuff too. With hindsight it was all just New Labour cultural poo poo there's nothing that's actually lasted or been impactful. If you go to a protest that has a stage you might see Jo Brand do five minutes calling Farage a twat in a funny way but that's it that's the best "left wing comedy" does now it's just nothing.

And it's wierd that you called Shane Gillis right wing earlier, for the US he's broadly left of centre and any random episode of Matt and Shane's Secret Podcast will 100% be funnier and more lovingly humanistic than loving SNL.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
*keeps tribal system well into the 1000's* Never. Stop. Raiding!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

If you don't have a sofa what do your cats and/or dogs sleep on when they're not sleeping on the bed?

In my case, a suitcase. He loves that thing.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Angrymog posted:

Talking Traffic lights, in Ipswich there's a big junction that had some sort of vehicle detection going, and didn't detect motorbikes. Not a problem in the day when there's enough other traffic to work it, but if you hit it at night and the lights were against you the only legal way across it was to hit the pedestrian crossing button that would also turn the lights your way.

I think there are a couple of cyclist-only lights like this on CS6 in London. Well, probably not during the day, but around 9-10 pm some of those things literally never turn green

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Ataxerxes posted:

This is perhaps the most British expression of anything I have ever read.

Thank you, I think.

I self identify as an East Anglian rather than being British or English. I now have a beautiful son who will end up speaking Northern.

This upsets me. When he is older and travels to East Anglia, his spiritual home, every time he opens his mouth and talks people will assume he is recovering from a serious head injury.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Red Oktober posted:

Crossing talk!

As far as I'm aware there are three types.

The simple type is just a crossing across a single road. These ones need to have the button pressed, and will then trigger after a certain period of time (so if they're outside a school they will often trigger immediately, presumably to encourage kids to use it). If they've been on recently there will be a delay.

The other type for more complex crossings have a period where they may go on, but only if they've been pressed. So they have a timed slot, but they won't get it if they haven't been pressed.

The third type are the ones which always go on in a sequence, even if no-one is there or pressing.

If you feel under the box where you press the button there is a metal nob that rotates when when the green man is in operation. For disabled people.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Vitamin P posted:

Modern right wing comedy is a little baffling maybe but it does actually concretely exist, what I find more baffling is that modern left wing comedy apparently doesn't. Aside from like four regulars at The Angel, and I'm assuming other local scenes, left wing comedy just sort of stopped at the Stewart Lee level; very meta, entirely outflanked by literally anyone under 30 that voted for Corbyn and whisper it not actually that funny.

Like you're correct that right wing comedy is just a dumb crude reaction to liberal SJW stuff but honestly I think the last 20 years odd of "left wing comedy" was just a dumb crude reaction to nationalistic Daily Mail stuff too. With hindsight it was all just New Labour cultural poo poo there's nothing that's actually lasted or been impactful. If you go to a protest that has a stage you might see Jo Brand do five minutes calling Farage a twat in a funny way but that's it that's the best "left wing comedy" does now it's just nothing.

And it's wierd that you called Shane Gillis right wing earlier, for the US he's broadly left of centre and any random episode of Matt and Shane's Secret Podcast will 100% be funnier and more lovingly humanistic than loving SNL.

Leftie comedy exists - or existed - on the live comedy circuit, especially at edinburgh and the like, but it's been dead on tv for years if not a decade, because commissioning editors aren't interested in commissioning it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

I too believe in the inherently humanistic and left-wing comedy stylings of calling people chinks and faggots, thanks for that :fuckoff:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Teeth talk: I’ve still got a tooth the dentist wanted to take out a couple of years ago, and I was finally getting around to investigating cheap Eastern Europe dental implants to replace it (and fill a couple of other gaps) when The Thing kicked off. Now I’m just in a perpetual fear the tooth will rebel against me in the meantime before I can get it out and replaced with some robo gnashers. Staying in the UK for implants is way too dear.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The_Doctor posted:

Teeth talk: I’ve still got a tooth the dentist wanted to take out a couple of years ago, and I was finally getting around to investigating cheap Eastern Europe dental implants to replace it (and fill a couple of other gaps) when The Thing kicked off. Now I’m just in a perpetual fear the tooth will rebel against me in the meantime before I can get it out and replaced with some robo gnashers. Staying in the UK for implants is way too dear.

Ditto.
Seriously wish I'd got round to getting my teeth sorted out in Cairo. There are some excellent dentists out there. Problem is if you don't live there, they're too unreliable in turning up to book a holiday and hope to get it all done plus the regular random power / water outages.
Was thinking about Eastern Europe too.

Comedy chat:

There used to be some really good comedy clubs around London in the 80s/90s. I recall in the very early 80s going to see the comedians "The Comic Strip" - French & Saunders, Rik Mayall all those guys, before they became famous at one of the theatres inside Raymond's Revue Bar in Soho. For some reason, the bouncers took one look at me & my male friend and knew instantly we'd come for the comedy theatre not the strip show. I loved Chris Langham's impression of an owl and I thought French and Saunders were a bit boring (still do most of the time).

"Comedy" with 'right wing themes' (ie 'be as offensive as possible' to women, minorities, disabled, etc) has always been a thing, Bernard Manning, Roy Chubby Brown, Jim Davidson.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 11, 2020

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

Turkey is apparently good for dental care. I've met people who go in November just before everything closes for winter, so the flights and hotels are as cheap as they'll ever be. There's not much to do, but you'd have money to do it if there was.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1304215652983603200?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Especially when every non-SCG Labour MP throw themselves into hedges to avoid commenting whenever the Tower Hamlets Council strikes come up.

(TLDR because I covered it in the last thread - Labour Council and Mayor seek to insource a load of services (yay) but to do so attempt to force a load of staff onto inferior contracts, leading to the rather spiffy sight of the local politicians who are the direct political descendants of the Matchgirl and London Dockers strikers trying to explain how unions are bad, actually, backed up by everyone's favourite bootlicker union, the GMB - the fact that the situation in Scotland is almost the exact opposite is somehow fitting)

It's probably easier to support the strikers when it is an SNP council, but part of me suspects this is Leonard stretching his muscles to show he's still leader. He was also pretty high up in the Scottish GMB at one point so that's another point.

But all that said it is still more than I expect. As you say, the national party leadership certainly wouldn't chat about it, never mind positively. What I'd like to see is this used for a launching point to a discussion about the mere concept of strike action being "illegal" being a particularly nasty Victorian concept that belongs in the dustbin of history with the 12 hour day and child labour. But that's probably wishful thinking

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

forkboy84 posted:

But all that said it is still more than I expect. As you say, the national party leadership certainly wouldn't chat about it, never mind positively. What I'd like to see is this used for a launching point to a discussion about the mere concept of strike action being "illegal" being a particularly nasty Victorian concept that belongs in the dustbin of history with the 12 hour day and child labour. But that's probably wishful thinking

children are working around the world right now and I have worked longer days than 12 hours

It aint history..

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What I love about that poster is that it was never actually used because its distribution was intended to essentially be the final act of the UK government after a catastrophic defeat to the Nazis. It’s not a noble cry of fortitude against adversity, it’s an incredibly bleak cry for serenity in the face of imminent annihilation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dogatron posted:

children are working around the world right now and I have worked longer days than 12 hours

It aint history..

Yes, I've worked 13 hour shifts too, but I was adequately compensated with time off, I wasn't doing it 6 days a week and I suspect you weren't either.

Don't be a pedant. It's dull.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

What I love about that poster is that it was never actually used because its distribution was intended to essentially be the final act of the UK government after a catastrophic defeat to the Nazis. It’s not a noble cry of fortitude against adversity, it’s an incredibly bleak cry for serenity in the face of imminent annihilation.

Came to post this, yes, it was never even known about during the war, they found it in a cupboard somewhere I think in sometime in the 2010s.

E: loving twitter taking all the fun out of things:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 11, 2020

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So what are the chances of another legal challange on the government? I know they were looking at some way of stopping them, as Boris doens't want to have to follow pesky laws.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The news seems to think it might struggle to get past the lords and the EU might also seek to challenge it internationally so you might get to become north korea by the end of the year lol.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

E: loving twitter taking all the fun out of things:

They'll have egg on their face if he really is dead.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Grey Hunter posted:

So what are the chances of another legal challange on the government? I know they were looking at some way of stopping them, as Boris doens't want to have to follow pesky laws.

Sounds like saboteurs talk to me.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Came to post this, yes, it was never even known about during the war, they found it in a cupboard somewhere I think in sometime in the 2010s.

This article implies that actually they decided it might be annoying, and anyway people didn’t seem to be panicking, so didn’t use it

https://history.blog.gov.uk/2014/06/27/keep-calm-and-carry-on-the-compromise-behind-the-slogan/

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

The news seems to think it might struggle to get past the lords and the EU might also seek to challenge it internationally so you might get to become north korea by the end of the year lol.

How can anything possibly "struggle to get past the lords"? Or do you mean they might cause another - shock, horror - week or two of delay, maybe, in theory, if they somehow grow a spine etc?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
CHEREMY CLORKSHON MAYDE A LORT OF MUNNEY FROM TORLKING LOIKE THISH

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jaete posted:

How can anything possibly "struggle to get past the lords"? Or do you mean they might cause another - shock, horror - week or two of delay, maybe, in theory, if they somehow grow a spine etc?

Apparently michael howard doesn't like it. And the tories supposedly do not have a large majority in the lords compared to the commons.

Not that I'm sure it stops them using some mechanism to bypass the lords.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

I believe it was also rejected because it was deemed to be patronising bullshit, and that telling people to just chill out when they're having the poo poo bombed out of them probably won't cut it.

The poster was one of three. The other two were actually produced and distributed. They read: "Your courage, your cheerfulness, your resolution will bring us victory" and "Freedom is in peril - defend it with all your might".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Turns out that in the event of being slowly taken over by Nazis the people of the UK didn't need any prompting to carry on doing whatever they were doing