Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ridiculously overbuilt rock solid Volvos ended by the mid 90s.

The Ford era (2000) did them no favors and basically ran them into the ground.

The Geely era (2010) has been a clusterfuck of quality as they've basically started over from scratch with ridiculously complicated engines and electronics, but boy do they look nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Guinness posted:

Ridiculously overbuilt rock solid Volvos ended by the mid 90s.

The Ford era (2000) did them no favors and basically ran them into the ground.

The Geely era (2010) has been a clusterfuck of quality as they've basically started over from scratch with ridiculously complicated engines and electronics, but boy do they look nice.

It's a bummer. We were looking at the V60/V90 (the interior quality on the XC90/V90 especially is insane), but the reliability definitely scared us (me) off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Beamed posted:

Proposed Budget: $25k
New or Used: Preferably new, but used with low mileage/recent year-ish is OK
Body Style: Smaller SUV, though not picky here on kind.
How will you be using the car?: Grocery shopping, going out of town. Not really for daily commutes - car would be used a handful of times each week.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Technology is cool, but doesn't need everything.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, safety, probably in that order.

Right now the lady and I have our eyes on the 2020 Escape SE (right around our budget), the Nissan Kicks, and the Kia Soul. Any advice on the 3 of these or in general?

gonna go out on a limb and suggest any of the actual good cars in the segment which would include the CR-V, CX-5, Forester, RAV4

the new Escape is probably fine but I wouldn't buy it unless you Must Buy Domestic for reasons such as your uncle is a UAW steward, the Kicks is loving dreadful, god awful trash, and the Soul is perfectly fine but fairly small - it's basically a slightly smaller, tall Volkswagen Golf sized thing. It's a lot smaller than the escape.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah Beamed all the cars you named are Pretty Bad for new vehicles in 2020. For $25k you could do a lot better, especially if you go used. Especially check out the CR-V.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The weather was poo poo yesterday because it snowed so I didn't get to go look at that Prius. Looks like we're on for tonight though. I'm debating on what I'm going to offer if I like it. It's listed at $6,000 and I'd realistically be fine with that but I think I'll shoot for $5,500.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It snowed in September? :crossarms:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

It snowed in September? :crossarms:

https://i.imgur.com/XLKoTi4.mp4

Not a ton stuck since it was 90 the day before but there was a lot of snow.

Does anyone here do carfax reports for cash or is that frowned upon?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I'd also be interested in CarFax reports. Years ago there was a golden era where their API was open but I think that has been closed.

I can change my tune if this is considered :filez:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

I'd also be interested in CarFax reports. Years ago there was a golden era where their API was open but I think that has been closed.

You can generally find someone advertising it on a lot of car forums. I didn't see anything in SA mart either.

e: if you search carfax in SA mart there's a post with a link that you just pay $5.60 to and you get it instantly.

e2: there's a 40k mile gap in service history in carfax that I assume is just from a place that doesn't report that I'll ask about but it has good records outside of that.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 9, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

Not a ton stuck since it was 90 the day before but there was a lot of snow.

Does anyone here do carfax reports for cash or is that frowned upon?

"So much for global wa:fuckoff:

We are so hosed, aren't we?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Inner Light posted:

Yeah there's a guy on the m3 forums who sells Carfax for $5, Carfax + Autocheck for $8. These are probably dealer logins or something?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Not that it was amazing in the 00s, people just seem to think all Volvos are na 240s.

Honestly, by modern standards, the 240 was not all that reliable. I think that reputation was rightfully earned in the '70s when everything else on the market was a shitbox that would kill you, but a lot of that gap was gone by the '80s. At this point, I'd take your average '90s or '00s Honda over any of the redblock Volvos if I actually wanted it to run.

Even accounting for differences in age, my '88 240 was less reliable than most of the shitboxes that I've bought since. And nothing but that drat Volvo has had interior plastics that would break into razor-sharp shards.

Best loving heater ever, though, and that's without a working blower motor.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gonna go out on a limb and suggest any of the actual good cars in the segment which would include the CR-V, CX-5, Forester, RAV4

the new Escape is probably fine but I wouldn't buy it unless you Must Buy Domestic for reasons such as your uncle is a UAW steward, the Kicks is loving dreadful, god awful trash, and the Soul is perfectly fine but fairly small - it's basically a slightly smaller, tall Volkswagen Golf sized thing. It's a lot smaller than the escape.

Inner Light posted:

Yeah Beamed all the cars you named are Pretty Bad for new vehicles in 2020. For $25k you could do a lot better, especially if you go used. Especially check out the CR-V.

Thanks all. This is literally my first car purchase so not really sure what to look for. I live in Detroit so domestic is preferred but not really required. What should I keep a look out for that would tell me the Kicks is dreadful, for example?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Any ranking of best subcompact and compact CUVs from any of the car rags (C&D, Motortrend), Edmunds, or Consumer Reports would give you pretty good info.

If you must buy domestic, I actually think the Equinox is acceptable. The new Escape is probably fine, but I don't trust Ford new product in launch year.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
FWIW I had a friend who had to have their short block replaced in their 2019 Escape. It was a known issue with Escapes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I drove the Prius and it drove like what I assumed a Prius drives like. There are a couple minor issues that I noticed. The spoiler is popped up a little and the rubber weather seals on the outside of the drivers side windows are disintegrating. Outside of that it has the typical dings and scratches I'd expect. The guy apparently used it as an airport car when he had a job he traveled for. Those things are pretty minor so I'm definitely going to think it over. It seems like it's still a good price for the mileage compared to what else I'm seeing locally.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010
Proposed Budget: Ideally under $20000
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Any
How will you be using the car?: This will be a car for my personal commute, which is about 20 miles each way. A few times a year I also have to take long trips which can be close to 1000 miles. Estimated annual mileage is 25000 or more.

What I'm looking for is a vehicle that has the lowest total cost of ownership while being extremely reliable. I don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. Comfort and ride quality don't really matter as long as it isn't physically painful to drive. I also don't really care too much about features. I'm coming from a 2000 Honda CR-V, so that's the tech level I'm used to.

I'm considering buying a new 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage with a manual transmission. MSRP is $13800 and Mitsubishi is offering a $2500 factory rebate on them right now. As far as I can tell, this car has the lowest price of any new car in America right now, as well as the best gas mileage of any non-hybrid vehicle and a 100,000 mile warranty.

I know that the Mirage gets trashed by professional reviewers, but it also seems to have a lot of owners who feel the need to defend it, so I'm not really sure what to think about it.

This video and the comments are an example of what I'm talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCsNs3eYTE

I would also be fine with buying a used vehicle, if it were as reliable as a new Mirage. A quick search on carfax shows that any Toyota Corolla (pretty good reliability) at $12000 is going to be several years old and have a decent number of miles on it, and for some stupid reason Toyota only offers manual transmissions on the higher trim levels.

I'm looking for some feedback, or some alternative suggestions.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

pacmania90 posted:

Proposed Budget: Ideally under $20000
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Any
How will you be using the car?: This will be a car for my personal commute, which is about 20 miles each way. A few times a year I also have to take long trips which can be close to 1000 miles. Estimated annual mileage is 25000 or more.

What I'm looking for is a vehicle that has the lowest total cost of ownership while being extremely reliable. I don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. Comfort and ride quality don't really matter as long as it isn't physically painful to drive. I also don't really care too much about features. I'm coming from a 2000 Honda CR-V, so that's the tech level I'm used to.

I'm considering buying a new 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage with a manual transmission. MSRP is $13800 and Mitsubishi is offering a $2500 factory rebate on them right now. As far as I can tell, this car has the lowest price of any new car in America right now, as well as the best gas mileage of any non-hybrid vehicle and a 100,000 mile warranty.

I know that the Mirage gets trashed by professional reviewers, but it also seems to have a lot of owners who feel the need to defend it, so I'm not really sure what to think about it.

This video and the comments are an example of what I'm talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCsNs3eYTE

I would also be fine with buying a used vehicle, if it were as reliable as a new Mirage. A quick search on carfax shows that any Toyota Corolla (pretty good reliability) at $12000 is going to be several years old and have a decent number of miles on it, and for some stupid reason Toyota only offers manual transmissions on the higher trim levels.

I'm looking for some feedback, or some alternative suggestions.

Drive one, and you'll quickly find out why everyone hates it.

Get yourself a Prius instead if lowest TCO is your only priority.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I am not an expert like many posters here, but I would suggest that you do not buy the cheapest production car for sale in America if you're planning on taking 1000 mile trips.

I have a 2015 Mazda3 (from the recommendations here) with the base trim model and it is a fun and reliable car to drive to work and sometimes on highways. I came from a 2000 Chevy Cavalier so I think we are bros now.

You can get a newer used Mazda3 than mine for well under $20k. You might even be able to get a new one for that price if you really don't care about options and can find a dealer with a '19 sitting around.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

don't buy a mirage

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

don't buy a mirage

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Mirage is a car designed to a price point for people who can't afford a brake job or a set of tires that their current car needs. It's something cheap for their captive finance company to make money on (they will finance nearly anyone) off of people with such poor credit and low savings that they simply can't afford (and can't get a credit card to finance) the $800 worth of work their current car needs and are terrified of having something out of warranty as a result of that.

Do you really want to drive a car who's primary goal is that, rather than to be a car that is compelling enough for someone who isn't in dire financial shape to voluntarily choose?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how have two separate people come in to this thread in the last ~6 mos being like "imma buy a mitsubishi mirage"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how have two separate people come in to this thread in the last ~6 mos being like "imma buy a mitsubishi mirage"

1.) cheap
2.) most people see cars as appliances

But you know that.

At least they're asking here first. That puts them well ahead of most car buyers.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

code:
Vehicle Type:New
Sort by:Price

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
My dad bought a 2020 Hyundai Venue (base, 6speed manual) for like $18k. But really the OP should get a Prius.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Eh, it's a cheap car designed for third world countries that Mitsubishi Motors brought over to the US because they haven't got anything else to sell. Maybe it's not a great value proposition all things considered but the hyberbole is a bit much. Millions of people bought Dodge Neons and J Bodies back in the day and the vast majority just got to work every morning and never gave it a second thought. A Mirage at least will probably be more reliable than either of those.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

pacmania90 posted:

People are going to defend their buying decision at that level, few will admit they put $10k+ on the wrong horse.

I've never driven a Mirage, but I have rented a Nissan Micra which is very similar in price point,form, build quality and drivability. I've driven a lot of (lovely) cars, for many miles/years. Taking that Micra through a snowstorm I legitimately thought I was going to crash/die/etc. I drove it for about 8 hours (approx 650 miles) to somewhere and back over a few days and it was straight up unenjoyable. I have not felt that same way since I drove a 1991 Skoda Favorit. If you are strictly using this for a 20 mile commute in decent, year round driving conditions, you might get away with it. If you live in rain/storm/snow climate, I'd avoid it. If you plan on making any kind of trip that's 2+ hours, avoid it.

midge fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 10, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Eh, it's a cheap car designed for third world countries that Mitsubishi Motors brought over to the US because they haven't got anything else to sell. Maybe it's not a great value proposition all things considered but the hyberbole is a bit much. Millions of people bought Dodge Neons and J Bodies back in the day and the vast majority just got to work every morning and never gave it a second thought. A Mirage at least will probably be more reliable than either of those.

the neon was good, give me a dohc neon over the mirage any day. hell give me a fifth gen mirage.

anyway twelve grand of USED CAR OF CHOICE is a ridiculously better value proposition in 2020

pacmania90
May 31, 2010
I have a few questions about the Prius. Would it be better to buy an older model and plan to replace the battery pack, or buy a newer model for the same total cost? Could I reasonably expect a Prius with 100,000 miles on it to make it to 200,000 or 300,000 miles?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

pacmania90 posted:

I have a few questions about the Prius. Would it be better to buy an older model and plan to replace the battery pack, or buy a newer model for the same total cost? Could I reasonably expect a Prius with 100,000 miles on it to make it to 200,000 or 300,000 miles?

Newer means better safety, infotainment, and less wear/tear on parts. There's no reason to buy old unless you can't afford it.

That said, yes, they seem to go forever. 200k is nothing to a prius if well-maintained.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the anecdote is always 300k mi Prius taxicabs in NYC so yeah you can get them up there without issue. Just be prepared to replace the hybrid battery at some point. Many get far on the original battery, but one replacement should see you through the life of the vehicle.

the only downside is that the newest gen Prius looks fugly

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

fknlo posted:

I drove the Prius and it drove like what I assumed a Prius drives like. There are a couple minor issues that I noticed. The spoiler is popped up a little and the rubber weather seals on the outside of the drivers side windows are disintegrating. Outside of that it has the typical dings and scratches I'd expect. The guy apparently used it as an airport car when he had a job he traveled for. Those things are pretty minor so I'm definitely going to think it over. It seems like it's still a good price for the mileage compared to what else I'm seeing locally.

Now I’m curious what an airport car is in this context.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

Now I’m curious what an airport car is in this context.

He drove it to and from the airport to fly for work. They moved here and have barely driven it as he doesn’t have to do that any more. I’m pretty sure I’m going to make an offer on it. I’d like something that might be a bit better in the mountains but everything else I’m looking at that’s even close to the price of this one has a shitload more miles and/it is in worse shape.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the anecdote is always 300k mi Prius taxicabs in NYC so yeah you can get them up there without issue

The only two Priuses on my local CL at or under $4k with less than 200k miles are salvage titles, and even then one of those is still rocking most of its taxi wrap. A few weeks ago there was one that had over 300k which has clearly already sold.

They'll do the mileage, no problem.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the neon was good, give me a dohc neon over the mirage any day. hell give me a fifth gen mirage.

anyway twelve grand of USED CAR OF CHOICE is a ridiculously better value proposition in 2020

I shudder to think of how a Neon would do in a crash against modern SUVs, though part of me would still love an ACR to flog around.

Emphatically agreed on the used car option. About the only way you could definitely come out worse than a Mirage would be a $12k S-class / 7-series.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only two Priuses on my local CL at or under $4k with less than 200k miles are salvage titles, and even then one of those is still rocking most of its taxi wrap. A few weeks ago there was one that had over 300k which has clearly already sold.

There's a post on the front page of the Prius subreddit where some guy is asking about a second gen for something like $4000 and the comments are full of people that got one with half the miles with a new battery for $3000 and I want to know where they live.

I just ran across this hail damaged 2016 Hyundai Accent for $8500 and holy poo poo that's tempting. There's also a manual 2007 Tuscon for sale at a pretty good price that I might want to look at.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I'm no expert but a 4 year old Accent with 50k miles for $8500 does not seem like a good deal even in good condition. I remember I owned a 2 year old Fiesta with fewer miles that was worth way less than that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

I'm no expert but a 4 year old Accent with 50k miles for $8500 does not seem like a good deal even in good condition. I remember I owned a 2 year old Fiesta with fewer miles that was worth way less than that.

I don't know where you are, but here along the front range that's a pretty good deal. The pickings are slim on anything with under 150k miles in that price range. Well, that I'm even remotely interested in anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the prius is a better buy than that accent. the elantra is good, the accent is pretty cheap and small in a bad way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah the Prius sounds like a way better deal and will hold it's value a lot better if you decide to sell it for whatever reason

That being said, driving a hybrid is boring and a little hatchback with a 6 speed would be a good deal more fun to drive