Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

monstertrain://runresult/5e67886a-eb48-4c13-81d1-4a33ffec78d8

well this was a completely disgusting run; clowncar on the middle floor with the sweep into root made sure nothing got past, and there were enough draws and ascensions that I could get everything I needed. Between the Channelsong, pyregro, and ember imp, there was never a need to take +1 ember so it all went into draws. Got lucky with Seraph, too - wasn't relying on rage or spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Another big thing I see that hangs up players is always slamming the optional objective for bonus loot. Some of those things just end runs completely.

Eh, doing the bonus challenge is how you get ahead of the curve for later levels. Sure taking a bonus challenge may decrease your chances on a given run, but having a policy of always taking challenges (and making choices early that gives you the best chances of beating them) gives you a way better chance of clearing overall.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
What's the best way to deal with the new Seraph? Was cruising through a run then got ended due to 3 melee stacks on my two floors, meaning Seraph hits for 90 insta killing my tank. I had setup two strong floors but not quite enough with the one hit kills.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

jpparker55 posted:

What's the best way to deal with the new Seraph? Was cruising through a run then got ended due to 3 melee stacks on my two floors, meaning Seraph hits for 90 insta killing my tank. I had setup two strong floors but not quite enough with the one hit kills.

All Seraphs want you to have at least two active floors but new one pretty much forces them with Rally and Incant triggers. Although don't be afraid to play spells if they're more beneficial to you since you still have to scale. Actual balance of playing/holding is up to you and experience. Try to get as much health as possible on your tanks and let them be hit by waves to eat weakness stacks or setup chumps so Seraph puts stacks on them. Maybe even 2 or 3 of them. Honestly he is a lot scarier than he looks and cleanse Seraph is still the biggest rear end in a top hat imo.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

jpparker55 posted:

Lozareth posted:

Stealth, endless, dazes, holdover debuff cleaners, and damage shields are what I've been using to get by the new Seraph.

Dirk the Average posted:

But anyway, as far as melee weakness goes, here are some counters by clan - they're pretty similar to the list of counters I mentioned for the stealth boss, since the problem is similar:

Hellhorned: Sacrificial imps, armor stacking, powerful damage spells, ascend seraph to get him off the floor so you can summon/cast without buffing him
Awoken: High HP units that can take the hits, quick + sweep on high damage units to kill enemies faster (especially the little guys), healing spells to get the damage patched up between turns, adaptive mutation to make certain units super beefy, descend seraph to get him off the floor so you can summon/cast without buffing him
Stygian: Probably the easiest - silence to stop attack upgrades on seraph, incant for armor/health to take hits, spells to blow up the enemies, sweep to kill the little enemies, dazed, and, of course, sap in large quantities
Umbra: Damage shield can block 1-2 attacks per round without issue, if HP is high enough (shadowsiege, monstrous penumbra), can lifesteal health back too, cards to provide more damage shield, lifesteal, etc
Melting Remnant: Also has an easier time - reform units that die, wickless recruitment or resin removal to wipe out the debuff, tome gives endless to resummon units, stealth to stop enemies from attacking entirely, descend seraph to get him off the floor so you can summon/cast without buffing him (and daze him in the process!)

There's also some cross-clan shenanigans that can be pulled off. I think stygian and melting remnant have the best toolkits to solve the new seraph though. Silence is stupidly valuable, and sap/daze are really strong. Waxen can spam the crap out of stealth if needed, simply absorb the hits, remove the debuff entirely, and replace lost units, so they seem like they're pretty resilient to whatever Seraph can pull.

bideojames
Aug 29, 2004

>:3
Actually got my first Seraph the Patient kill (C25) last night running Imp-portant work/Transcedimp combo for the first time - i've seen posts about the combo floating around but never managed to get it to work until now - got Imp Box for my first artifact, got Endless on a Transcendimp and Holdover on Imp-ortant Work, made copies of both and the rest of the run was smooth sailing. (making sure the only 2 Consume cards were Onehorn and Spike went a long way as well)

Not really relevant to the conversation re: how to beat Patient consistently, just wanted to point out how busted the combo is IF you can put the pieces together. Probably the most fun i've had in a single run so far, by turn 5 or 6 you're generating 30-40 energy and applying two stacks of Multi-strike and ~100 rage/armor per turn.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Don't see this in the initial campaign/tutorial, and it's the one question I immediately have - is there a way to voluntarily remove a monster you already placed (to replace it with another one in your hand), or are you stuck with it once you've placed it until it dies from the enemy hitting it?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No, but a couple of spells ask you to Sacrifice a unit, that’s about the only way to do it yourself

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Ascend can move them out of the way, and some damage spells can hit your own units. If a spell doesn't specify enemy or friendly, then it can hit both, and sometimes it's very powerful to hit your own units (revenge triggers, and similar).

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

No, but a couple of spells ask you to Sacrifice a unit, that’s about the only way to do it yourself

Or other damage spells that allow free targeting.

Having to decide whether a unit you play out is actually the best use of the space, and whether it's better to settle for a less powerful unit for better tempo is a decision point on a lot of runs. Capacity in general is one of the more interesting mechanics in the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SlyFrog posted:

Don't see this in the initial campaign/tutorial, and it's the one question I immediately have - is there a way to voluntarily remove a monster you already placed (to replace it with another one in your hand), or are you stuck with it once you've placed it until it dies from the enemy hitting it?

Something a lot of people forget is that you can target anything with spells that aren't conditional.

This means for Hellhorned in particular you can target Torches at Imps and other 1 HP monsters you want to clear to free up space etc.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Endless armor imp in a deck with torches usually works out pretty well

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

criminy.
trying out shardtail queen/melting remnant; lucked into an awoken railspike + impish scholar + transcendimp with a subsuming blade for good measure and the sheer amount of imps summoned/revived/sacrificed for free each turn is pure degeneracy :getin:
can't even hold all these cards I'm drawing

Deck's fairly bloated with junk, but the tidal wave of imp cycling is overcoming that with ease.
e: 27+ ember each turn isn't hurting either
e2: 27? 60. 60+ ember now. Really wishing I brought something other than the railspike that could use all this ember

monstertrain://runresult/38724d21-a7b6-4aa6-8028-41b46a9cbd43

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 11, 2020

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
If you're going to abuse imps and melting remnant, I feel like this is the way to go:

3am
Jul 15, 2012

...like pen to paper at three o'clock in the morning.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How does one go about getting 6500 armor?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

3am posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How does one go about getting 6500 armor?

Armor imp and transcendimp with Endless, so you can keep blasting them with Torches to clear/redraw them and repeat their summon effects (and the transcendimp's summon effect will get ridiculous in short order).

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Is... is trancendimp recursive? Like it will trigger previous trancendimp summons?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dirk the Average posted:

Ascend can move them out of the way, and some damage spells can hit your own units. If a spell doesn't specify enemy or friendly, then it can hit both, and sometimes it's very powerful to hit your own units (revenge triggers, and similar).

And sometimes you Awaken an enemy :shepicide:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dalaram posted:

Is... is trancendimp recursive? Like it will trigger previous trancendimp summons?

Yep!

It spirals out of control quickly if you give it Endless or have some way to reform it

3am
Jul 15, 2012

Shine posted:

Armor imp and transcendimp with Endless, so you can keep blasting them with Torches to clear/redraw them and repeat their summon effects (and the transcendimp's summon effect will get ridiculous in short order).

Thanks, Shine! That looks like a lot of fun. Seraph looks so sad in that picture. I approve of that kind of thing.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Today's challenge with the Melting Kid boss and all enemies having spike was kind of cool.

The thing that let me beat it super fast

monstertrain://runresult/76c9a0a9-f2b6-43bd-bd1a-ef7e255e0efe

Legion of Wax reward with preloaded Heartstone, and adding +10dmg, then quick on top floor.
Let it die/be sacrificed to buff it or just put it on top floor and cast "Intent on Death" x2 on it repeatedly. Then make it fall down to the middle floor and keep doing it.

Would have been interesting with Intent on Death with the Kid hero with two dips on the Extinguish stat boost, but the Kid at the end had 65 spikes and 69 attack, but the endless hosed him up since I couldn't just cheaply Reform him and then cleanse the burnout.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I have now beaten the game at Cov 25 with all 20 base combinations. In that time, I haven’t seen the bone doggo a single time.

FUUUUUUUUUCK

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I started doing the Daily Challenges this week, and the random mutators are not nearly as fun as the ones in Slay the Spire.

I mean, sometimes StS has a stinker (get 5 of a random card, and it gives you Hello World or something), but... "All friendly units enter with +2 Dazed" has come up twice this week, and while there are ways to work around it, I feel it takes away too much of the player's agency.

Think I'll just go back to normal runs now that I got the card frame.

3am
Jul 15, 2012

Yeah, that challenge worked great for me too. I got the ‘scored over 30k’ achievement for it. Made me realize just how crazy good Intent on Death could be.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Two transcendimps working together. :allears:
May the imp box let me see that again some time.

monstertrain://runresult/9d29bd0e-c2d4-4e9a-993e-c0fb1d4de495

Good daily challenge run, just about all the cards and relics an imp build could hope for.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Don't invade Hell or talk to me or my daughter ever again!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I achieved a thing:

I don't know if I will give the Expert Challenges a serious try, but either way, I'm pretty happy with this result.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

whyyy is alt-candle so BAD

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Alt Candle is incredible. You get reforms for free(take more egg cards, stealth/bomb/draff) and Eternal Flame alone can provide the DPS you need to clear every boss wave. What are you having trouble with?

Eternal Flame is a pretty easy flowchart. Suicide on turn 1, play behind tank on turn 2 if you need DPS now else suicide again and then play behind tank, play behind your survivors every wave as the boss ascends and clears her from the lane. By 2 or 3 she finishes the boss. Don't take the x2 Extinguish Artifact without a way to ramp mana and count your mana carefully. Icarus is similar but trickier, use Spikes 1 and reforms to farm kills from 1 HP mooks, then when you have 20-30+ Attack and Spikes you can mix with Eternal Flame(for Endless + HP gain) or use another clans buffs for shenanigans, like Green to swap HP/Attack or Yellow for Damage Shields. Firelight is the same idea, suicide to make your attack crazy high across goons and reform to keep it up, applying Burnout to lanes that need to avoid deaths or using candle cards for synergy(Legion of Wax is 4 cap, Fade is 1 cap, get her to die twice in front of those guys and they'll solo the boss.) Level 10 gives you a card to remove Burnout from a single unit, there's the lady of the house that does AoE Burnout+1 on Revenge, three cards that give Burnout and two are 0 mana cost.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cov 25 with trials is insanely tough with alt candle. I can win with alt plants though!

That's good advice to be clear, I just need to make it all work.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I ran Eternal Flame from Cov 12 to 25 because I was like "hey, this is my new favorite champ and a cudgel I can wield to fast climb" and did it pretty smoothly. The worst counters are failure to get sufficient tanks(especially for Archus, the bird-face axe general and Seraph because all those big 25+ hits), enemy sweepers(pretty rare and otherwise tame mini-bosses and the innate +5 HP per resummon solves the mini-bosses by L2 or L3) or otherwise lacking the regular tools(other sources of single target, a source of AoE since Candles bring almost none, sufficient combos/synergy.) I had to fine tune timing her commitment to damage dealing to deal with big waves of bird-face angels with 160/190 HP.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:toot:

Thanks for the tips! Everything finally came together!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

StrixNebulosa posted:

:toot:

Thanks for the tips! Everything finally came together!

Congrats!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Very nice, well done! *notices the Extinguish artifact* :eyepop: Dangerously stylish.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Imp Queen is very good, plus getting the artifacts that stops rage decay or double summon effects are auto-win. You can use targeted spells on holdover to clear out your imps you don’t need, which makes the free armor imp good to buff her directly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Two things

1) Retch brings back the alt-Umbra hero which is AMAZING

2) have an extremely broken Dante

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

*breaks game over knee*

honestly who needs dante

Seriously though this is my favorite unwind game as I figure out how to just snap the balance in half in some new silly way

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Two things

1) Retch brings back the alt-Umbra hero which is AMAZING

2) have an extremely broken Dante

Wait..........

Retch does WHAT

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So the newest update will bring mods 👀

EDIT
Also:
On October 22nd the appearance rate for Bone Dog's Favor will slightly increase permanently + he gets his own standalone event. AND for a limited time, during Herzal's Workshop launch celebrations (Halloween), his appearance chance significantly increases.

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I still haven't seen that event a single time.