Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Godzilla would be a much improved movie if the news reporter in the observation tower yelled "Choke on 'em!" before dying.

e: Day is also on YouTube in 720p

https://youtu.be/1dIQJ39HKU0

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Shrecknet posted:

Oh it is time...

If you're not a Japanese horror fan (and after the "soaking wet ghost" trend of the early 2000s I can't blame you) you probably think Miike is a kinda weird but fun dude like Hideo Kojima. Ichi the Killer is here to disabuse you of that notion. Also Dolls is literally the only movie this week I haven't seen, so I'm super pumped. Ichi is on Shudder; Dolls is on Prime and Tubi

I was tempted to make this question on the quiz optional since I know this is literally tearing people apart, but you gotta vote. Holy poo poo. Three movies that each were probably the best horror movie of their decade (50s, 80s and 00s). And you gotta pick one. DotD and Gojira are impossible to see anywhere, the Host is on NetFlix.

Duos division with its first repeats. Rewatch if you want.

I mean, perennial journeyman Lonnie Smith put up a 9 WAR season in 91; I don't see why the guy who made Gods & Pharaohs and Hannibal can't also have an Alien under his belt. Of note: Yuzna only directed the wraparound featurette (which has Jeffery Combs play H-P-loving-Lovecraft :cthulhu: ) and the final short, Whispers, but Chris Gans (who made the first, good Silent Hill) did one of the other shorts and it's pretty good too! Both of these movies are not on any streaming platforms :ninja:

Ya'll wanna vote? Here ya go. Vote you rear end off!

I love the Godzilla poster choice.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

LOL you all know Romero is the real kaiju in this matchup. Don't play yourselves.

I mean, Day of the Dead is my personal favorite of Romero's films and a super strong contender, but the original Godzilla isn't exactly gonna be a pushover here either. I could see this going either way between those two and be fine with it.

I would be annoyed if The Host squeaks by due to split voting between the other two, just because it's not in the league of either of the other two movies in this match up.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Franchescanado posted:

Call me a heathen, but it's really just Day of the Dead vs Godzilla. I'll rewatch The Host, having seeing Bong Joon Ho's career grow (The Host was my intro to the guy), but it's not on par with the other two in my book. Hell, it's a South Korean reaction to Godzilla.

Yeah I agree with this though I haven't seen Godzilla since I was a kid (I'll rewatch it for the tournament). The Host is a lot of fun but I don't know if it really has a chance here. Day of the Dead is excellent, I'm going to rewatch that right now I think.

I've never seen Ichi (I used to struggle with really gory movies and I've heard it's up there) but I did watch Dolls at some point this summer and it's really silly and tons of fun. The VHS box art used to scare me so bad when I was a kid, we kept our VHS movies in an old dresser and I would dare myself to pull it out and flip it to the front. But it's not exactly a great movie, we'll see after I watch Ichi I guess.

The Blob / Hereditary match-up is tough. I only watched The Blob for the first time this summer but it's a ton of fun, I really loved it and if I saw it as a kid I think it would be one that I had more room in my heart for, it is great but I don't have the same nostalgia that others do. Hereditary I found really distressing, something about Aster's movies make me feel kind of sick, I know a lot of goons think his stuff is hollow but something about them just bothers me in a good way. I'll see how swayed I am by the effortposts of others as I really don't know which way to go on this one.

I've never seen Necronomicon, but I have seen Hannibal and don't like it much. Looking forward to watching Necronomicon though!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Whoaaaa these matchups. I'm super glad that BJH gets to go down guns blazing with his most genuine horror movie, and against films of that caliber! Or he might just squeeze through and I will laugh my rear end off.
Dolls slaps rear end, and I don't think I have the stomach to watch Ichi The Killer again. It's...extreme, even for Miike. This will be divisive.
Ridley Scott probably got reaaaallly lucky here, but I haven't seen either movie so I'm stoked.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hannibal has it's strong points and Necronomicon has it's flaws but I think the fun factor will win out as it so often does.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Class3KillStorm posted:

I mean, Day of the Dead is my personal favorite of Romero's films and a super strong contender, but the original Godzilla isn't exactly gonna be a pushover here either. I could see this going either way between those two and be fine with it.

I would be annoyed if The Host squeaks by due to split voting between the other two, just because it's not in the league of either of the other two movies in this match up.

I should really preface that by saying that I don't enjoy kaiju films. The best parts of Godzilla for me are when the monster isn't on screen, namely the build up and the hospital scenes. Other than that it's completely uninteresting. Day on the other hand is my least favourite of the original trilogy, and probably isn't even in my top 10 zombie films, but it's still head and shoulders above Godzilla for me. Those opening xylophone beats and the mournful, desperate yells of "Hello!" still sends a chill down my spine.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I love Gorton but I will defend the poo poo out of Ichi. It deserves a much better reputation than “violent for violence sake”

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ya'll best not blink when it comes to my boy Miike.

My one real joy was knowing, at some point, he was going to pull Ichi and some folks who didn't know what was what was going to get a face full of that.

My next post is probably going to be me working out my feelings Re- Godzilla VS Day but it's going to be a minute. Just wanting to speak up and say, you want to see some poo poo? You watch Ichi. You love Ichi. You hang those bodies high and you let that blood flow.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Burkion posted:

Ya'll best not blink when it comes to my boy Miike.

My one real joy was knowing, at some point, he was going to pull Ichi and some folks who didn't know what was what was going to get a face full of that.

My next post is probably going to be me working out my feelings Re- Godzilla VS Day but it's going to be a minute. Just wanting to speak up and say, you want to see some poo poo? You watch Ichi. You love Ichi. You hang those bodies high and you let that blood flow.

I haven't seen much Miike, if anything at all (to my knowledge), prior to this tourney, but Ichi the Killer is his most (in)famous movie, yes? If so, is it a good jumping on point for his stuff, or is there something else people should be seeking out instead?

Basically, if I do watch Ichi but don't have a good time, is it worth seeking out his other stuff, or should I be prepared to write him off as a "not for me" kind of director?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Class3KillStorm posted:

I haven't seen much Miike, if anything at all (to my knowledge), prior to this tourney, but Ichi the Killer is his most (in)famous movie, yes? If so, is it a good jumping on point for his stuff, or is there something else people should be seeking out instead?

Basically, if I do watch Ichi but don't have a good time, is it worth seeking out his other stuff, or should I be prepared to write him off as a "not for me" kind of director?

Horror-wise, yeah. Except for maybe Audition. I think 13 Assassins is his most well-known of all his films, though. People who have never heard of Miike know and have seen that movie (thanks to it being on Netflix streaming for a long time).

I would say absolutely watch his other movies. Dude's incredibly prolific. His action movies are great. Blade of the Immortal fucks.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Class3KillStorm posted:

I haven't seen much Miike, if anything at all (to my knowledge), prior to this tourney, but Ichi the Killer is his most (in)famous movie, yes?
*laughs in Audition*

Ichi is a rollicking good-time zany ultragore gangster movie mixed with horror.

When Audition was screened at Cannes, Scorcese sought out Miike afterwards to spit in his face

To your second point, Miike is probably the most prodigious director of the 21st century, he put out 4+ movies a year for a decade. Quality varies but he's just got so many across so many genres it'd be hard to say anything he made is indicative of anything

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Class3KillStorm posted:

I'm not an expert, but Miike has an incredibly broad range from the cinematic equivalent of shitposts (Dead or Alive) to legitimate historical epics (13 Assassins), plus goofy comedies, psychological thrillers, weird David Lynch type movies and insanely brutal Yakuza tales like Ichi. He also has a tendency to troll his audience, so better get ready. It's a ride.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Class3KillStorm posted:

Ichi is Miike going to an extreme. The thing is though, Miike is impossible to pin down with just one film. The man is kind of insane in how different his work can be. The Great Yokai War is one of the best fantasy adventure films ever made in my opinion, a perfect continuation of the ideas and tone of The Never Ending Story but through a uniquely Japanese lens.

Zebraman is a fantastic character piece of a man near and dear to Miike's own heart, an aging fanboy of Japanese super hero stuff who decided to embrace his love for it in the throes of his midlife crisis, only to be thrust into danger and heroics.

His Ultraman episodes, he directed two of them and now has one monster named after him due to this, are peak Miike.

Basically no one film sums up Miike that well. He's the man who directed Audition and he's the man who directed, produced and writes a live action magical girl series aimed at little girls.

He is a goddamn wonder.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

married but discreet posted:

He also has a tendency to troll his audience, so better get ready. It's a ride.
Happyness of the Katakuris is still on Miikes list and it easily the most insane thing I've seen of his. Other stuff is grosser or more horrifying or better, but for pure madcap unhinged dream-reality, Happyness is definitely up there

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Is it safe to say Miike is the anti-Tim Burton?

He bends his directorial skill set to match the project and to fulfill that story in the best way possible, whereas Burton picks projects that match his aesthetic and then contorts them to fit his ugly rear end cheap CGI mold.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I vaguely recall Visitor Q being wild as hell but it's been nearly 20 years since I've seen it god drat I'm getting old

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd be worried about Ichi but to be honest I just remain relieved I don't have to rewatch Audition. Dolls didn't do a lot for me the first time I watched it but I could see it getting the vote from me based on my sensibilities. We'll see.

I've been really wanting to watch The Host so that's the film I'm most excited for. I don't know if that will give it an edge in this and Day of the Dead is my least favorite Romero. But Godzilla was a revelation so that's gonna be a tough one for Host. We'll see.

I wouldn't mind rewatching Blob but its not streaming. If I come across it its a fun watch. Hereditary is not. I could never get myself to watch it last round so maybe I'll do it this one. Maybe not. We'll see.

All the last matchup feels like is the missing Carpenter/Hooper matchup. Still, I've been wanting to rewatch Silence of the Lambs so at least there's that. The actual entries? Meh. We'll see.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yuzna emerging as a favorite to win his division is maybe my least expected outcome of this tournament thus far.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I didn't want to vote against Gordon ever but this might be the matchup that does it. On the other hand I haven't seen Dolls yet, and it's Gordon so there's like a 100% chance it's a way more interesting movie than I always assumed when I walked by the box.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The clips I've seen of Dolls look incredible. It's like Gordon took a languid Full Moon concept and actually pushed the material to where it needed to be. I'm yet to see either film though, so I have no idea where I'll settle.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm convinced that Charles Band producing Dolls led to the Puppet Master Dollman and other series from full moon

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dolls is most definitely better than any Puppetmaster movie. And I like the Puppetmaster series.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Ichi the Killer vs Dolls TONIGHT SOON, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

Starting 2000 EST

With special guest star

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Basebf555 posted:

Dolls is most definitely better than any Puppetmaster movie. And I like the Puppetmaster series.

Yeah for one thing with Dolls you're not waiting like a loving hour for the dolls to do anything (like in the first Puppet Master).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Dolls also has a great opening.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TrixRabbi posted:

Russell's only got four films: Gothic, Altered States, Lair of the White Worm and The Devils. But are there any we missed from his filmography that could count? I think Lisztomania has some horror elements but is mostly a wacky musical, but also I've never seen it.

He did movie versions of the operas Faust and Il Mefistofele. Faust would certainly count.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
For those watching Ichi the Killer for the first time, whenever you find yourself thinking 'what the gently caress?', just remember these words: toxic masculinity.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

So I watched Dolls last night and it was... fine? Like there was nothing wrong with it, but there was nothing terribly good about it either. It just felt cheap and a bit hollow, like this was more about Stuart Gordon cashing in a paycheck to put Charles Band's weird obsession with "small things moving around and sometimes killing things" on screen, instead of a film that Gordon himself was terribly interested in making. If you want a good version of "Stuart Gordon takes the Full Moon resources and churns out gold with it," Castle Freak is where it's at.

I think this is going to be as far as Gordon goes in this tournament, and I think that's okay. I am mildly surprised at the idea that Brian Yuzna will end up going further than Gordon could, though. Even if that seems to be one of the most likely outcomes here.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I mean maybe we did oversell Dolls a bit, it's not like it's some underrated classic or anything like that. I just don't particularly like Ichi The Killer, which is why I think Gordon has a solid chance of winning.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

oh no baby what is you doin

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Don't take it out of the plastic!

:v:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Ichi the Killer vs Dolls

Last night was my first time seeing Ichi, it was my first time seeing Dolls, and it was my first time with Ultraman, for what it's worth. So I have a lot of very fresh and tender feelings about a lot of things.

Dolls is a very interesting and yet simple film. It has the base story of a girl facing separation anxiety from her mother during the event of a divorce, and then colliding with an older man who is attempting to create a family with people who do not appreciate him. Both learn to shed the toxic elements in their lives and in doing so, fully embrace their inner child and sense of wonder. All of this is wrapped in a Gothic fairytale setting, that's reminiscent of a mix of Grimm's Fairytales, Poe, Hammer, and maybe even a little Two Thousand Maniacs! in terms of structure.

I think I would have loved Dolls if I had discovered it when I was around seven or eight years old, especially if it was double-billed with something like The Witches. There really isn't much of a mean edge to the film, the villains are very pantomime, and the kindly grandparent figures are probably evil, but in a lightly-scorning cautionary tale sort of way. It would be perfect for kids who are comfortable around R-Rated violence.

Speaking for a moment on the lead actor, she isn't very good bless her. She's adorable, and I'm glad that her poor acting is one of the things to be enjoyed here, but it's also an inescapable fact. This also appears to be her only acting credit, and she has no Wikipedia page, so I guess this was a dream snuffed out for someone, either her or a pushy parent. I also have to remark quickly on how beautiful the lighting is throughout the film, and how creative the special effects are. This was clearly supposed to be a quick shoot from Charles Band's perspective, but from what I've read, Gordon really spent the time and effort trying to elevate the material, and push the effects to the next level, and it really shows. Dolls is a lot more creative and charming than it had to be, and I'm very much looking forward to showing it to my nieces and nephews.

Ichi the Killer on the other hand, well... I went into the film only knowing the poster, and I was honestly expecting something more along the lines of Old Boy, with some Miike touches. What I wasn't expecting is, well, what I got, and I'm still attempting to process everything.

I think there are three stories going on here. First we have a brutal gangster film, full of mystery, politics, and revenge. Second we have a mix of Memento and Kick-rear end, in which an unlikely person is manipulated into becoming a super-hero, and I grimace at the idea of calling Ichi a superhero. Then, and most importantly, it is the heartwarming story of best boy Kakihara's quest to find a new boyfriend. A boyfriend who can finally live up to his ex in terms of sadomasochistic violence.

Now, Ichi the Killer is insanely brutal, and extremely violent. There's a troubling rape scene within the first three minutes, and rape is a constant presence throughout the film, both thematically and in actuality. Some people have said already that it's violence for sake of violence, and I would both agree and disagree with that statement. Whilst watching Ichi the Killer sandwiched between two of Miike's Ultraman episodes, I think I finally understand him as a director. What Miike has that is so hard to pin down isn't a desire to troll the audience maliciously as I once thought, instead it's a childlike glee and sense of wonder in breaking taboos. I think Garbage Baby in the stream absolutely hit the nail on the head when they described Miike as like a child chasing people around with a booger on their finger. It's not malicious, it's whimsical.

I could list exhaustively all of the gross stuff that happens throughout the film, but it's honestly too much, and for as upsetting as it could have been, I found it all delightful, and very beautifully and creatively shot. My biggest takeaway though is Kakihara's adorable cherubin face as he searched for Ichi. I'm sure this just further cements the fact that my taste in men is terrible, but how can you not fall in love with this adorable psychopath? My vote, and my heart, can only go to Miike.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm not a big write up guy but I'm going to try to say a little more this time around.

Day of the Dead vs Godzilla vs The Host
Let's get this out of the way: The Host is a very good movie, lots of heart and laughs with great moments and a cool monster (even with some bummer CGI), but there's no way it gets my vote over either of the other contenders in this match-up. I loved rewatching it this morning, but it just solidified my stance. Day of the Dead has a lot to love and for a time was my favorite Romero zombie movie. It has some of the most memorable gore/kills, an odd banger of a soundtrack, a feeling of claustrophobia and nihilism that I find really effective. I think it is generally underrated compared to say, Dawn. And then we have Godzilla, a movie I last saw as a child. Barely counts as a rewatch since I remembered so little beyond a big lizard in the backyard blasting atomic breath and stomping on buildings. For its time, the effects are awesome. I loved seeing the different ways Honda and Tsuburaya played with perspective and shadow and miniatures to manipulate me into believing. More than that though, the story is so good - it's not really a movie about Godzilla, it's about the horrors of nuclear war and national trauma, which I obviously never picked up on as a kid. I didn't expect to go this way, and I wouldn't fault anyone for going with Romero, but my vote goes to Godzilla.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The note-reading scene at the end of The Dolls had me laughing out loud

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:spooky: Day of the Dead vs Godzilla vs The Host, MONDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1900 EST Day of the Dead
2050 EST Godzilla
2235 EST The Host

:spooky: Necronomicon vs Hannibal, TUESDAY on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST Necronomicon
2115 EST Hannibal

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Roger Ebert was a hack judgmental piece of poo poo who didn't know what the gently caress he was talking about. He's responsible for the current hellscape of no name assholes who think they know their poo poo smells the best and all others must be plebs who need only follow in line. He set the stage for the Film Roberts, the Cinema Sins, the Rotten Tomatoes and yes even the Nostalgia Critics and all Youtube personalities like them to come bumbling up like they were some kind of authority. The voice of the moral status quo of society.

gently caress Roger Ebert and his role he had in film reviews ever since. gently caress him and his hypocritical bullshit and gently caress him in general.

Some of you, especially horror goons who were there in the discord when I went off on this a little bit ago, know where this is going, but not quite.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/godzilla-2004

This is Roger Ebert's review of Godzilla 1954, where he got to watch the original cut of the original film in theaters restored for the first time in history in the US with English Subtitles. I don't need to go into the contents, but I will quote his star rating. 1 1/2.

Why is this relevant here?

Well as it turns out to the surprise of none, this man has been a plague on the horror genre for as long as he could smell his own farts, after getting his start through writing soft core porn- no judgement from me on that except for his hypocritical views on how horror is inherently misogynistic, rich coming from this rear end in a top hat.

But with such a long and varied career, it wouldn't come as a surprise that he has also reviewed the other big ticket film on the docket today.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/day-of-the-dead-1985

I similarly will not be reading THIS tripe out either. I will only quote the score. 1 1/2

Should you vote for Godzilla or Day of the Dead? The broad answer is yes, it just depends on how you feel. The Host, I'm sorry to say, does not stand up next to them. It is a good movie, it is a great movie, but it's not as good as either of its competitors. Though if you still want to vote for the Host, of course, you can. No one will stop you, no one will judge you. But for me there is one discussion here.

Godzilla or Day of the Dead.

I'm going with Godzilla, but that's because that's who I am as a person.

The original Godzilla is impossible to describe without coming off as pretentious, because what makes it work is actually seeing it. I can tell you about its import, I can talk for pages and pages about the symbolism and the meaning and the trauma. But in the end, all you need to do is watch it. All you have to do is sit down and spend an hour forty watching it, and you will either get it or you won't. The tone, the pacing, the character, the emotion- none of this can be imparted through text. The film is unrelenting, unforgiving, complicated and mournful. It is a funeral dirge for a nation not even ten years after the atomic bombings. A national catharsis through cinema.

It is Japan allowing the world to feel, in some small way, how they felt. And Honda does his work drat near perfectly, given what he had to work with.

Day of the Dead similarly needs no introduction in these parts. Its a story of humanity eating itself alive and an exploration of who the true monsters are.

The gore is a big selling point, but the characters cannot be understated either. It is, in my opinion, the best zombie movie ever made. It's not as important as Night of the Living Dead, its not as famous as Dawn, but it is my favorite Romero film. I just come down on the side of Godzilla, in this case. I do think Godzilla is a better stand alone film, I do think that it hits me harder, and I do think that it's better done. Day of the Dead is a film I cheer through, a film that I love to rewatch and experience, where I can shout the quotable lines back at the screen and smile as Bub owns the show.

Godzilla is a film that I watch when I want to feel something and the entire vibe is wholly different.

If it clicks with you like that, then you're probably going to vote for Godzilla. If it doesn't, you're probably going to vote for Day of the Dead. Both are excellent, all time classics that deserve nothing but praise.

And if for whatever reason you don't care for either, the Host is pretty good too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ebert didn't like horror, I thought everyone knew that.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Necronomicon vs Hannibal
Necronomicon is a goofy anthology dripping with goopy, tentacular practical effects. The wrap-around anchor is a perfectly cromulent story and 2/3 of the shorts were great fun (the only one that I didn't love was the middle one, which Yuzna had nothing to do with anyway). Hannibal is also goofy, but is convinced that it isn't, to its detriment. My vote is for Necronomicon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I didn't always agree with Ebert either but that seems kind of harsh.