Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm sure others have read more Dredd than me and have more in depth recs (whatever volumes contain Cursed Earth and Judge Death), but I really enjoyed Dredd v. Aliens and Dredd v. Punisher Predator.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Uthor posted:

I'm sure others have read more Dredd than me and have more in depth recs (whatever volumes contain Cursed Earth and Judge Death), but I really enjoyed Dredd v. Aliens and Dredd v. Punisher.

I imagine Frank's dynamic with Dredd is similar to the dynamic he has with Daredevil.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

side_burned posted:

I imagine Frank's dynamic with Dredd is similar to the dynamic he has with Daredevil.

Okay, I totally meant Predator. Freudian slip!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bummer I was gonna look for that dredd v punisher book

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Chris Priest's run on Desthstroke good?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

site posted:

Bummer I was gonna look for that dredd v punisher book

And I wasn't trying to be funny, honestly I would suspect Franks attitude toward Dredd being similar his attitude toward Matt, since both are part of the :airquote:justice:airquote: system.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Are the Cerebus comics good or have a good arc to jump into? Also, the Wikipedia page says that the later comics feature the creator's "controversial beliefs" and I was wondering what that's about.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Are the Cerebus comics good or have a good arc to jump into? Also, the Wikipedia page says that the later comics feature the creator's "controversial beliefs" and I was wondering what that's about.

Cerebus is good up to a point. What that point is, depends on you. Personally, I'd quit after Jaka's Story, but some people bail out as early as Church and State. If you want to read Cerebus, I'd apply the same rule as the Dune books --- read until you start feeling dissatisfied, and then stop, because it's not going to be getting any better if you push on.

That said, if I'd known when I started reading Cerebus what Sim's, ahem, controversial beliefs were, I would have chosen not to put money in his pocket in the first place.

Sim is loudly and proudly misogynist. Not just anti-feminist -- he genuinely loving hates women and sees them as emotional and intellectual vampires who latch onto men and suck out their brains (because they haven't got any of their own, you see).

Go read his "Tangent" essay, which is dotted with charming phrases like "the feminist-homosexualist axis," if you must learn more.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 11, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the feminist-homosexualist axis is the name of our discord

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Skip the first volume, you can read it later if you really want to. I love Cerebus but I stopped after Jaka's Story and yeah, get it from the library instead of buying it if possible.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I loved Cerebus, the art is amazing, I think it's worth looking at the craftsmanship even after Sim goes all misogynist in the text, and I've given him a lot of money in my time. His cartooning is great, his lettering is world class, and Gerhard is a hell of a draftsman. And he can be wickedly funny.

All that said, beg, borrow, or steal it.

It's beyond the misogyny and the persecution complex, but also him working with Comics Gate and making a public apology for taking a 14 year old across state lines (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is). Sim being committed to openness and honesty makes it very easy to find him owning up to all these things.

If you do read it, High Society is a step above the first volume, so start there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Also, the Wikipedia page says that the later comics feature the creator's "controversial beliefs" and I was wondering what that's about.

:lol:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is the only time you will here me say this, if you want to read Cerebus then you should just pirate it because Sims deserves no financial support. But honestly knowing what we know now I wouldn't bother with it at all even that way.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The first Cerebus volume is good if you want to watch someone go from an okay artist to a great artist. It’s really something to watch unfold.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have a stack of the books from about 100 - 150 and haven’t ever gotten around to it. I see the phone books go up on kijiji on a fairly regular basis and one of these days I’ll buy them. The art is pretty exceptional and I’m willing to look at it for that alone. I don’t always need to read the comics I look at.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Dave Sim? Controversial? Thanks for giving me an excuse to post this infamous interview. It starts with the interviewer asking a silly question and delves into barely restrained spite from the first answer onwards.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I've been reading some comics lately, and I'm looking for some recommendations for after I finish The Boys. I've never really been a comics fan but the ones I've enjoyed in the past are

The Boys
The old Conan the Barbarian comics from the 70s-80s-90s
The old Judge Dredd comics from the 80s, with the mcdonalds army, Judge Death, etc etc. Loved those, probably my favorites
Transmetropolitan (fine, but didn't hold up on repeat reading as an adult compared to when I was a teenager)
Y: The Last Man (enjoyed it as a teen but haven't read it since, so I'm not sure)
Preacher (same as transmet, but still enjoyable)

also, the 2000ad / Heavy Metal collections on the internet archive and various other places, those were probably my favorite comics ever, actually, though certain Dredd ones were a close competitor

Anyone have any other recommendations along these lines? I once tried to read The Walking Dead but it felt interminable and I quit around 60 issues in or something

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
For more Garth Ennis, check out his run on Punisher.

It's tough to recommend Warren Ellis, but his writing's top notch, so Google him first and then maybe try Authority and Planetary.

For some solid crime noir, Brubaker's Sleeper and Criminal.

Also, I recommend this fantasy series to everyone: Monstress.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Have you read Slaine? I've only ever read The Horned God and it was amazing even though fantasy isn't my cup of tea.
https://smile.amazon.com/Slaine-Horned-God-Pat-Mills/dp/1907519742/ref=sr_1_2

I've only read bits and pieces, but I feel you'd like Grendel.
https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/20-326/Grendel-Omnibus-Volume-1-Hunter-Rose-TPB

Dark Horse had a lot of retellings of Conan stories that I liked when I was reading them. They started off by Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord (I dropped off after they left).
https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/13-029/Conan-Volume-1-The-Frost-Giants-Daughter-and-other-stories-TPB

East of West
https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/east-of-west

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Frog Act posted:

So I've been reading some comics lately, and I'm looking for some recommendations for after I finish The Boys. I've never really been a comics fan but the ones I've enjoyed in the past are

Y: The Last Man (enjoyed it as a teen but haven't read it since, so I'm not sure)

also, the 2000ad / Heavy Metal collections on the internet archive and various other places, those were probably my favorite comics ever, actually, though certain Dredd ones were a close competitor

Anyone have any other recommendations along these lines?

Since you like Y The Last Man and Heavy Metal, definitely try Saga, by Y writer Brian K. Vaughan and artist Fiona Staples. It's extremely imaginative sci-fi, but it's also a family drama at its core. It has a lot of heart, and it will often break your heart.

Since you're okay with some gross stuff and dark humor, of course I'm going to recommend Chew, by John Layman and Rob Guillory. It's an action/crime/horror/sci-fi/comedy set in a food-obsessed world, where many characters have food-related super powers. But there's a lot of world-building, character development, and epic shake-ups to the status quo.

Since you like antiheroes, try The Fix by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber. It's an often-violent buddy comedy about two extremely corrupt and barely competent cops who aren't exactly buddies. And if you can stand brightly-colored superheroes, try Superior Foes of Spider-Man, by the same team. It's about bumbling C-list Marvel supervillains trying to punch above their weight class.

Uthor posted:

I've only read bits and pieces, but I feel you'd like Grendel.
https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/20-326/Grendel-Omnibus-Volume-1-Hunter-Rose-TPB

lifg posted:

It's tough to recommend Warren Ellis, but his writing's top notch, so Google him first and then maybe try Authority and Planetary.

For some solid crime noir, Brubaker's Sleeper and Criminal.

I agree with these. Matt Wagner's Hunter Rose stories are the best Grendel stories, so that Grendel Omnibus Volume 1 is the ideal place to jump in. There are multiple Grendels and vastly different settings and tones for their stories.

I'll always go to bat for Brubaker's crime noir. Sleeper is my favorite, although it was set in the Wildstorm Universe (which is now folded into DC continuity, but I don't think it has been referenced by anyone else since Sleeper ended). There is a Sleeper prequel called Point Blank, which should also be required reading, despite the artist being Colin Wilson, not Brubaker's usual collaborator Sean Phillips. I think other people like Brubaker's Criminal more than I, and I read all of Fatale but didn't love it. I do, however, love Incognito, The Fade Out, and Pulp (a single graphic novel that came out this year).

And even though Warren Ellis has been revealed as a sex creep, which makes me think of all of his work very differently, I can't help it -- I still love Planetary. Authority, not so much, but I was over it long before we learned about Ellis. I just think his Stormwatch and Authority, which seemed so cutting-edge 20 years ago, have aged somewhat poorly. But Frog Act would also like Ellis' Global Frequency, which should scratch that 2000AD/Heavy Metal itch.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 6, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you like The Boys you should absolutely read Preacher by the same author author. Also Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer (you don't really need to read the rest of it first) the first TPB of that is called Dangerous Habits.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They literally said they read Preacher and felt it didn't hold up as an adult.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

They literally said they read Preacher and felt it didn't hold up as an adult.

Somehow missed that, stand by the Hellblazer, it probably holds up better than anything else Garth Ennis has written.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just read through Hitman for the first time and it holds up for the most part. It's a lot more restrained than his other stuff

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you like awful, super problematic comics try crossed

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would recommend Sweet Tooth if you want something post apocalyptic, strong damaged men making strong damaged men and such.

Also its about 6 issues in but Goddamned by Jason Aaron is also a hell wasteland world with bastards (well not really) doing very gory angry stuff to one another.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Also its about 6 issues in but Goddamned by Jason Aaron is also a hell wasteland world with bastards (well not really) doing very gory angry stuff to one another.

Technically it's 7 issues in - the original 5 issues, and the 2 in the current Virgin Brides mini (with three left). I have the feeling they're just going to do minis now and then rather than keeping an ongoing numbering given that the last issue came out like four years ago.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

site posted:

if you like awful, super problematic comics try crossed

If your doing that read Bomb Queen first.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Washout posted:

If your doing that read Bomb Queen first.

Bomb Queen is basically just bad, Crossed is an insane mishmash of mostly terrible but I enjoyed the Moore and Spurrier runs.

If you like Heavy Metal they published a mini called Fluorescent Black, my memory of it is extremely positive.

I'll second East of West and the Busiek Conan (didn't care for the Nord as much).

Glory by Joe Kelly would probably line up with some of the Heavy Metal.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Zachack posted:

If you like Heavy Metal they published a mini called Fluorescent Black, my memory of it is extremely positive.

Glory by Joe Kelly would probably line up with some of the Heavy Metal.

Fluorescent Black was pretty dope.

Prophet, too!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You could read Rick Veitch’s Brat Pack and Maximortal for more super hero deconstruction.

Also for some reason my phone autocorrects Veitch to crotch, which seems appropriate.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There is also Marshal Law which is kind of a proto-Judge Dredd meets the Boys. If you want bleak cynicism, superheroes as fascist perverts and some fun art from the guy who did League of Extraordinary Gentlemen you might like that.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I appreciate all the recommendations! I'm gonna check out Saga, Chew, Global Frequency, and Maximortal and see what I settle on after The Boys. I forgot to add that I actually read Marshal Law awhile ago and absolutely loved it. Stuff from the 80s-90s in particular really seems to do it for me, but my comics experience is really limited so I'm looking forward to reading some of these that I've never heard of.

I was watching a streaming site with random episodes and the old x-men cartoon from when I was a child in the early 90s came on and it got me wondering, are there any "good" X-Men comics that would appeal to someone who has been enjoying the stuff I've mentioned thus far? I remember reading them when I was a kid and they were for sale in grocery stores and stuff but I can't imagine they're the kind of thing I'd enjoy as an adult, really, but also suspect there probably are some in the X-men universe that might be slightly less generic or whatever?

ed: also if anyone has any recommendations for like, cyberpunk stuff in the vein of Dredd or, slightly differently, hard science fiction stuff with Clarke esque vibes, I'd be interested in those too

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 7, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Frog Act posted:

I appreciate all the recommendations! I'm gonna check out Saga, Chew, Global Frequency, and Maximortal and see what I settle on after The Boys. I forgot to add that I actually read Marshal Law awhile ago and absolutely loved it. Stuff from the 80s-90s in particular really seems to do it for me, but my comics experience is really limited so I'm looking forward to reading some of these that I've never heard of.

I was watching a streaming site with random episodes and the old x-men cartoon from when I was a child in the early 90s came on and it got me wondering, are there any "good" X-Men comics that would appeal to someone who has been enjoying the stuff I've mentioned thus far? I remember reading them when I was a kid and they were for sale in grocery stores and stuff but I can't imagine they're the kind of thing I'd enjoy as an adult, really, but also suspect there probably are some in the X-men universe that might be slightly less generic or whatever?

ed: also if anyone has any recommendations for like, cyberpunk stuff in the vein of Dredd or, slightly differently, hard science fiction stuff with Clarke esque vibes, I'd be interested in those too

Another title I should mention is Tokyo Ghost which is a cyber punk dystopian book about technology and stuff. It's only 12 issues but should scratch the itch you have.

As for X-Men I would recommend Age of Apocalypse as an amazing X-Men event, again with crazy dystopian vibes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's not really similar to The Boys but most of the 90s X-Men cartoons were based on the Claremont run. It's some of my favorite comics and there's no crossovers for the first decade worth of comics. There's a lot of purple prose and sometimes feels dated, but it's probably one of the most influential superhero books post Silver Age.

Actually, you might like Grant Morrison's New X-Men run, it's got a sorta cyberpunk vibe and is also crossover free.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks! I've made a list of everything recommended here and I'm starting in on it with Saga. I just finished The Boys and I actually think the ending was really good, especially that there was no grand confrontation between Butcher and Huey, and it all shook out as a result of their sense of obligation to one another so I'm looking forward to more general good comics. I just finished the first book of Saga and even though some of it felt a little non-sequitor, the giant alligator butler was enough to keep me going to the end and now I think I'm gonna go through this next.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm so glad you liked Saga enough to continue it!

Other things you might enjoy:

Outer Darkness - a sci-fi/horror book about the dysfunctional crew of a starship powered by an imprisoned demon god, set in a universe full of cosmic horrors. If you like the Alien movies and Event Horizon (and I know Heavy Metal has mashed up plenty of sci-fi and horror), you'll probably like it. Sadly, it was canceled recently, after two TPBs and a crossover miniseries with Chew (John Layman wrote both series).

Grendel: War Child - post-apocalyptic action, sci-fi, fantasy, and horror with some Lone Wolf and Cub influence, about a deadly cyborg warrior protecting a child as they travel a dangerous world. Very different from the earlier Grendel stories about Hunter Rose. This should feel like 2000 AD and Heavy Metal too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 7, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Frog Act posted:

Stuff from the 80s-90s in particular really seems to do it for me, but my comics experience is really limited so I'm looking forward to reading some of these that I've never heard of.

If your okay with goth or horror, I'd recommend Sandman and Swamp Thing, respectively.

X-Men: Age of Apocalypse and Morrison's New X-Men are great. There's been a huge status quo change recently and House of X/Powers of X is a great jumping on point for modern stuff.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm so glad you liked Saga enough to continue it!

Other things you might enjoy:

Outer Darkness - a sci-fi/horror book about the dysfunctional crew of a starship powered by an imprisoned demon god, set in a universe full of cosmic horrors. If you like the Alien movies and Event Horizon (and I know Heavy Metal has mashed up plenty of sci-fi and horror), you'll probably like it. Sadly, it was canceled recently, after two TPBs and a crossover miniseries with Chew (John Layman wrote both series).

Grendel: War Child - post-apocalyptic action, sci-fi, fantasy, and horror with some Lone Wolf and Cub influence, about a deadly cyborg warrior protecting a child as they travel a dangerous world. Very different from the earlier Grendel stories about Hunter Rose. This should feel like 2000 AD and Heavy Metal too.

Uthor posted:

If your okay with goth or horror, I'd recommend Sandman and Swamp Thing, respectively.

X-Men: Age of Apocalypse and Morrison's New X-Men are great. There's been a huge status quo change recently and House of X/Powers of X is a great jumping on point for modern stuff.

Very cool, just added this stuff to my list because all of the sound up my alley. It took me about five days on and off reading while working from home to get through The Boys so I'll start exploring these once I finish Saga, which is already grabbing me because I'm a major sucker for a creative but still largely internally consistent universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm a fan of Damian Wayne and read a lot of stuff with him before i just fell out of comics to deal with life. Now that i have time I'm not sure what to read next(if anything).

I read the following and enjoyed them:

Batman by Grant Morrison
Batman and Robin (the new 52 run)
Robin: Son of Batman
Super Sons (Peter J Tomasi)

Has there been any good comics with Damian Wayne in them that have been released since these titles? Alternatively is there anything I've missed that's worth going back to? I know he was in the Teen Titans but I've avoided that as the last Titans runs i've read were dire.