Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

exmachina posted:

Yeah the palatte better be swapped for in-sietch scenes.

Also an annoyance: The bed in the trailer is clearly the bed in Arrakeen where the Hunter-Seeker is used. A couple of comments here and also on YouTube videos seem to think the bed is on caladan

It's included in the part of the trailer before they left Caladan. My guess is they decided to use a scene of Paul waking up in that bed from later in the film since the bed design is more visually striking. Alternatively, the bit with the hunter seeker may be excluded entirely, and they used the fish bed on Caladan as an easter egg for fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

the last couple pages make me extremely grateful that I don't have terminal Lynch poisoning

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

all I want is a lil pug

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The pug is the #1 thing ill miss about Lunch Dune

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I do also really like the Atredies troops having a British soldier vibe to the it outfits

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
even if the movie sucks if they sneak in a pug cameo, i will salute.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Harkonnen bathing in filth looks amazing. Lynch's Harkonnen is almost comically villainous, bordering on oafish. Hoping DV portrays the Harkonnens as brilliant and scheming.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

uber_stoat posted:

even if the movie sucks if they sneak in a pug cameo, i will salute.

One of my favorite bits of the trailer, along with the suspensor slow falling Sardaukar and burning trees. Very small details that show how much care has gone in to this. Setting up Paul's Imperial/Atreides salute to contrast with the Fremen one he uses against Feyd.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Prolonged Priapism posted:

One of my favorite bits of the trailer, along with the suspensor slow falling Sardaukar and burning trees. Very small details that show how much care has gone in to this. Setting up Paul's Imperial/Atreides salute to contrast with the Fremen one he uses against Feyd.

Thank god there's a gif of this. Everytime it flashes across the trailer with that music I get loving chills, man

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FBS posted:

the last couple pages make me extremely grateful that I don't have terminal Lynch poisoning

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I dont know posted:

I think it got the reputation based on a few different things. Some that immediately come to mind.

1. Length. The book is really long. Before multi part movies became common, the idea of trying to fit everything into a single movie, even a single 3-4 hour movie seemed impossible.

2. Internal monologues. A huge portion of what happens in the books doesn't easily translate into movies. A lot of the tension in several key scenes is different characters thinking about things, and trying to anticipate what the other person (people) are thinking.

3. Deconstructed hero's journey. Dune is a hero's journey story as written by someone who explicitly hates heroes. The surface reading of Dune and what is actually happening are frequently opposites of each other. In order for the film to look good it, needs a blockbuster budget. In general, blockbusters want easy to identify with protagonists and story that is a good versus evil melodrama. Pushing Dune into that mold makes it something else entirely.

I don't think Dune really is unfilmable, but a good adaptation has a lot stacked against it. That said I am pretty optimistic based on what I have seen so far.

Popoto posted:

If people are doubtful Denis Villeneuve won’t get the subtext of the books, I invite everyone to watch one of his earlier movie: “Maelstrom”. The anti hero story in it shows me he has the capacity to get what the hero’s journey is and how to go against it.

Another reason why 2049 was a warmup for Dune, because K's story is also a subversion of the monomyth.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I dont know posted:

It's included in the part of the trailer before they left Caladan. My guess is they decided to use a scene of Paul waking up in that bed from later in the film since the bed design is more visually striking. Alternatively, the bit with the hunter seeker may be excluded entirely, and they used the fish bed on Caladan as an easter egg for fans.

I just assumed the Atreides took the bed from castle caladan to arrakeen when moving, but yeah possibly there is typical trailer shuffling of scenes at play

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
The one time I don't preview my post. I will throw myself on a crysknife as soon as I find one.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I just assumed the Atreides took the bed from castle caladan to arrakeen when moving, but yeah possibly there is typical trailer shuffling of scenes at play

No it was designed by Piter to attract Paul

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Is that a Crysknife

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

niethan posted:

Is that a Crysknife

yawp

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Oh GOD, any time anyone talks about a shot in the trailer they mention something I hadn't noticed!

Plus, yes, that salute is SO COOL.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Trailer looks good, too bad it will be a commercial disaster due to the virus, and the second part won't come out.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
One thing I've not seen noted is the appropriateness of Eclipse as the trailer music beyond the tone:

All that you touch
And all that you see
All that you taste
All you feel
And all that you love
And all that you hate
All you distrust
All you save
And all that you give
And all that you deal
And all that you buy
Beg, borrow or steal
And all you create
And all you destroy
And all that you do
And all that you say
And all that you eat
And everyone you meet (everyone you meet)
And all that you slight
And everyone you fight
And all that is now
And all that is gone
And all that's to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

"The Desert mouse, also known as Muad'Dib, is an adapted kangaroo mouse found on and adapted to the planet Arrakis.
It is associated in Fremen earth-spirit mythology with a design visible on the planet's second moon, and is admired by Fremen for its ability to survive in the open desert. "

"Muad'dib was (also) the Fremen name of Krelln, the "second moon" of Arrakis, named by the Zensunnis after the kangaroo mouse. "

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Serak posted:

One thing I've not seen noted is the appropriateness of Eclipse as the trailer music beyond the tone:

All that you touch
And all that you see
All that you taste
All you feel
And all that you love
And all that you hate
All you distrust
All you save
And all that you give
And all that you deal
And all that you buy
Beg, borrow or steal
And all you create
And all you destroy
And all that you do
And all that you say
And all that you eat
And everyone you meet (everyone you meet)
And all that you slight
And everyone you fight
And all that is now
And all that is gone
And all that's to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

"The Desert mouse, also known as Muad'Dib, is an adapted kangaroo mouse found on and adapted to the planet Arrakis.
It is associated in Fremen earth-spirit mythology with a design visible on the planet's second moon, and is admired by Fremen for its ability to survive in the open desert. "

"Muad'dib was (also) the Fremen name of Krelln, the "second moon" of Arrakis, named by the Zensunnis after the kangaroo mouse. "

Denis has been thinking about what he was going to do with this poo poo for a very long time lmao

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Two things I will be missing in the new movie:

Battle pug.
Twink crossdresser Feyd holding a golden penis pommeled great-sword.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1304231918863552515

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

lol it's only after watching the trailer 4 times I realized there's an actual shot of the melange

there's so much to see in it and yet it reveals so little. very good trailer

This shot took place while someone was speaking the word 'fear' and all I could think of was TS Elliot's 'The Wasteland'. "I will show you fear in a handful of dust."

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Wish Jessica had kept with the programme now. Imagining Leto, Vlad, Twink Feyd and his wife Paula, and Rabban having a family dinner.

e: Thufir and Pieter sitting at the kids table.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

That kid would have a serious case of harkonnen lips judging by the "genetic streamlining" behind its birth

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Xaintrailles posted:

Wish Jessica had kept with the programme now. Imagining Leto, Vlad, Twink Feyd and his wife Paula, and Rabban having a family dinner.

e: Thufir and Pieter sitting at the kids table.

Paula absolutely verbally destroying a water seller about feeding habits of birds

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

That kid would have a serious case of harkonnen lips judging by the "genetic streamlining" behind its birth

The Kweidatz Haderach plan is foiled when the kid turns out to be Charles II of Spain

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

FutonForensic posted:

all I want is a lil pug

The main failing of Lynch's Dune was the absence of Space Pug as the protagonist after the Harkonnens attack the Atreides.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Chin of Ibad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TK-42-1 posted:

The Chin of Ibad

gotta park my balls somewhere

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Kwisatz Hapsburgach

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Kwisatz Haemophiliac and his Sickle Cells of Ibad

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

FutonForensic posted:

all I want is a lil pug

I miss Atreides Battlepugs as well but if Villaneuve is definitely sticking to the books, I would be super psyched to see authentic Atreides Security Ferrets.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Stryder posted:

I miss Atreides Battlepugs as well but if Villaneuve is definitely sticking to the books, I would be super psyched to see authentic Atreides Security Ferrets.

Nice marmot

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

shoeberto posted:

The main failing of Lynch's Dune was the absence of Space Pug as the protagonist after the Harkonnens attack the Atreides.

I have good news for you (seen in first 20 sec or so)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkaklDy2gbE

It's probably just a weak imperial court pug, but I'm also partial to the idea that Gurney kept the one true Atreides battle pug alive in the deep desert all those years.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I have good news for you (seen in first 20 sec or so)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkaklDy2gbE

It's probably just a weak imperial court pug, but I'm also partial to the idea that Gurney kept the one true Atreides battle pug alive in the deep desert all those years.

No, I think you're on to something. Wasn't that originally supposed to be Harah with Jamis' two sons? If so, and that's the same battlepug (who must've also ingested life-extending melange), then that means Gurney was specifically saving PAUL'S battlepug, and that battlepug is now in the care of Paul's new extended family!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Lol that frank decided that six books and five thousand years in duncan's new catchphrase is "bullcrap"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Extremely cumbersome remix to the drake yes/drake no meme but I'm cool with it