Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

drat you for reminding me these exist, I'm now out $50AUD because I'm weak :cripes:.

Also the Australian Nintendo online store now has a much less dodgy-looking payment system than it used to, as a general FYI.

Nice, got one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Nintendo owns it to the "nice water in this game"-dude to make a new Wave Race game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DC Murderverse posted:

the song they picked from the cinematic trailer was a really odd choice that didn't work
I disagree completely

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

speaking of mario odyssey, i'm playing through it for the first time. i've gotten a little over half the power moons in each kingdom, and that feels...more than adequate to me? at least when it comes to video games, i don't feel any compulsion to see and get everything just to see and get everything and have a 100% completed next to my name or whatever.

so...is that ok for odyssey? am i missing out on anything if i don't go back and get all of the power moons in each kingdom? i just finished beating bowser's dragon so i feel i'm near the end. i think i have like 230 moons? is the 10-15+hr it would take to get the rest worth whatever the reward is, if there is a reward? i've got plenty of other games in the backlog to get to so one of those would be the alternative.

Play for as long as it's fun, do whatever you want, etc. BUT

You could easily get 200 moons in odyssey and never even begin to scratch the surface in terms of the depth of the movement system in the game. There's a nice learning curve as you start collecting the harder ones and the game starts forcing you to master all the different movement tricks, and imo at least that's where Odyssey really starts to shine. My experience with it before that was "eh just another 3D Mario", and by the time I'd collected 500+ moons it was holy poo poo this game is amazing.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
odyssey was the first game I bought my switch for, I kept seeing people on youtube playing it and thought it looked amazing. I'd never seen the appeal of any of the 3d mario games before.

Although I did just stop playing it after the first ending and then never went back to it. I did delete all the save data so at some point I'll try and go through it all again.

Maybe if the 3d all stars games hook me, i'll restart odessey

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah I hate to think the lasting impression of Mario Odyssey for the people who got the bare minimum moons to move on to each new kingdom, mainly made up of ones out in the open, then fought Bowser and never picked the game up again after the end credits. There’s so much to the game, like magnitudes more, and all the challenge and in depth gameplay comes when you spend a bit more time in each kingdom and revisit after the story is done.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Imagine a turn based platformer

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Imagine a tactical wrestling game where instead of two teams of units facing off its two wrestlers and you’re moving individual limbs around a grid

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Get out of the Switch thread, Peter Molyneux!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

dangerburrd posted:

Imagine a tactical wrestling game where instead of two teams of units facing off its two wrestlers and you’re moving individual limbs around a grid

imagine a real time strategy game but you can't control it except by screaming at the screen this game exists and its poo poo

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

dangerburrd posted:

I'm all for Hybrid Heaven 2.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I’m not sure Odyssey is for me. I found the main story fine then after I just found it frustrating going back to other kingdoms and having to track what moons you were going for along with how repetitive a lot of them were. I think I just prefer the linear stage setup of 3D World and (I think?!) Galaxy.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

imagine a real time strategy game but you can't control it except by screaming at the screen this game exists and its poo poo

I used to play that all the time! It's called "watching your older brother play Command & Conquer and shouting very bad advice at him".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I had to fake a bad Texan accent for End War to recognise anything I said.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
QWOP fighting game

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I :filez: that game and still felt ripped off. I did spend like 1,50€ on the dl-dvd I burned it on I think.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why is Mario/Sonic 2016 Rio Wii U so $? Low print run?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Why is Mario/Sonic 2016 Rio Wii U so $? Low print run?

A relic of the last Olympics ever to be held

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Mario Odyssey and Zelda are basically "there's so much content that it's a nightmare to actually do a completionist run but 99% of the playerbase will simply stop once they've been sated"

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

kirbysuperstar posted:

Jesus christ and I was thinking of Odama.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Ricky posted:

I don’t know and it’s heartbreaking. He should have any studio making a 2D game dumping buckets of money at his front door.

I think part of the issue is that creating games in his visual style is probably extremely time consuming. Especially since he has to do most of the graphic work himself and it probably doesn't pay super well.
Easier to take freelance gigs and animate shorts for Cartoon Network and music videos.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Jesus christ and I was thinking of Odama.

Oh, haha. That would be more fitting, Nintendo and all, huh.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

This is just into the breach with friends on the couch

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

dangerburrd posted:

This is just into the breach with friends on the couch

You uhhh.... You sayin' bad stuff about Into the Breach there, buddy? Huh?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

American McGay posted:

It built the box.

Of course, but it's been happy to stay in the box ever since, to the point that in the most recent game you can change the visuals to make it resemble and play like a game from 5 console generations ago with very little functional difference to the actual gameplay. To continue this slightly tortured analogy you can't say the same for the 3D Marios, Nintendo are always trying to expand the box by introducing new gameplay mechanics or literally building hardware to change the way we interact with their worlds. The retro 2D platforming sections in Odyssey work so well because they show us how far we've come.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So the answer is yes it's just that thanks to brainworms y'all get a lot angrier about it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I mean yes and no, the equivalent of what Dragon Quest is to RPGs for platformers would be something like the New Super Mario Bros games where there's a graphical upgrade but the fundamentals are very little changed from the original 30 year old games. I would recommend Odyssey to more people than DQ11 because one tries to expand and build upon what came before and the other is just a refinement of that original concept.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Dota2 is a moba not an rts

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Papercut posted:

Play for as long as it's fun, do whatever you want, etc. BUT

You could easily get 200 moons in odyssey and never even begin to scratch the surface in terms of the depth of the movement system in the game. There's a nice learning curve as you start collecting the harder ones and the game starts forcing you to master all the different movement tricks, and imo at least that's where Odyssey really starts to shine. My experience with it before that was "eh just another 3D Mario", and by the time I'd collected 500+ moons it was holy poo poo this game is amazing.

i think...the movement system is my least favorite part of the game. i'm the type of person who moves their hands and arms a lot by nature, and it causes my mario to freak out frequently and unexpectedly. that one challenge in the ice kingdom where you have to skim along the ice water using the speedening flowers took me nearly 30min just because mario would go orthogonal at certain points. that's the most extreme example, but there were plenty of more moments.

so yea, if the movement system is what's left to explore...i don't know, it may not be for me. i beat the game last night and went through a bit of peach's kingdom, and that was as fun as the regular game. but if most of the rest of the game is about gameplay and getting in touch with the controls...hmm. maybe i'll just put it down for a bit and come back to it later if i feel like it.

don't know, i guess i wish there was a way to turn off the controller and its entire movement being a control. at least in odyssey, it really hosed with me.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

abelwingnut posted:

don't know, i guess i wish there was a way to turn off the controller and its entire movement being a control. at least in odyssey, it really hosed with me.

go into the menu and turn off the motion controls

this doesn't disable the various cappy motion controls but it makes the game less disorienting when your camera isn't controlled by motion

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i don't know why, but i never expected that to be an option for any switch game. i'll give that a go--thanks.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
hope it helps, still woulda been nice if they let people turn them off completely for accessibility reasons

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

really been enjoying hotshot racing as a quick pick up and play game. I really like sim racing on pc but this is still heaps of fun and the rubber banding doesn't matter at all and keeps it interesting imo

The tracks are ok but I wish there was more verticality to them? they all seem really flat. some jumps and poo poo would be cool. I like the variety of cars and mods too.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

drat you for reminding me these exist, I'm now out $50AUD because I'm weak :cripes:.

Also the Australian Nintendo online store now has a much less dodgy-looking payment system than it used to, as a general FYI.

You won't regret it. I bought two and I use them every chance I get.

They're the perfect controller for MK8, for example.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

QWOP fighting game

Exists in the form of Toribash, kinda, but I dunno if it's still a thing and sadly is not on switch :(

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the best thing about this recent doom update that no one seems to have mentioned, is that now the main doom and doom 2 title artwork shows up, and in widescreen, when you boot the game, before going into the demo, instead of just straight into the demo. progress.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

tuo posted:

Nintendo owns it to the "nice water in this game"-dude to make a new Wave Race game.

Wave Race holds the gently caress up. I've been doing some N64 lately and hardly anything else is even playable.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
most good n64 games hold up because they were good and still are and are more memorable than all the weird poo poo they made on the gamecube.

f-zero gx was good tho on the nintendo gamecube.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

Friends, it is with a heavy heart that I must confess something:

San Francisco Rush and it's sequel are not good games. My memory of them was much grander than reality.

Objectively wrong. I will fight you.

In other less infuriating news, I think the Switch may be the best beatemup console of all time at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Objectively wrong. I will fight you.

In other less infuriating news, I think the Switch may be the best beatemup console of all time at this point?

Not until it gets Shadow Over Mystara and uhh.. hm..no I guess that's it now that Scott Pilgrim is coming over.