Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

For me since 3.10 and in an Aurora, less than 3 minutes in station and 5 minutes in cities. Also for me, no bugs encountered along the way since 3 months
(need at least 16Go RAM and a SSD).

quote:

What can I say to you ? I have no breaking bugs along the way (from the hab to the hangar + lift off) since 3 months. I will not lie to please you... I have breaking bugs elsewhere but not here on the way out.

If I remember correctly, your system is below the minimum requirements with no SSD. Without SSD, you have a whole collection of bugs only related to your slow HDD.
A SSD is mandatory. The first thing everyone ask on reddit when someone have too much bugs is "have you installed it on a SSD?". If your system is the same, indeed it's of no use to download the alpha, it will be unplaybale on your computer.

quote:

SSD is required because SC constantly stream huge assets while you move (or entities move toward you). And when you stream huge assets, like SC do, at the speed of a HDD, your assets come too slowly (stutter) or worse, can't load if you don't have enough memory to stock them.
SC have structured it's rendering workflow similarly to the rendering workflow proposed in the new PS5 with its SSD. It's a cool techno, but it only works if you can stream assets fast, disqualifying HDD.
In SC and the PS5, the SSD is structured to be a main part of how graphics are rendered. The disk is more than a data storage used only during the loading screen at the start of the level or during cut-scenes.

SSD streaming assets in action on the PS5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD3PfBEEYNE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Kotaku UK, breathing its last, reminds the world that Star Citizen is bad. (And that they once did excellent games journalism. Occasionally.)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

mdxi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADJho00HmDo

Oops there's another interesting looking space game happening.

Tick-tock, tick-tock!

But is it the Best drat A Game Of Space?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

mdxi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADJho00HmDo

Oops there's another interesting looking space game happening.

Tick-tock, tick-tock!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

https://twitter.com/NOOBIFIER1337/status/1302148617017282562

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

It’s been dark for years. He just wasn’t really looking.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Spiderdrake posted:

Right, but the specific Chris quote is this dumb rear end poo poo about some server in a closet running a simulated economy and that's not really exciting I don't think?
You know better than anyone here that words aren't really meaningful words with Star Citizen.

CIG said : We have a server in a closet running a simulated economy with 10 thosand NPC buy and selling
CIG mean't : We have an intern that looked up the formula for arggagate demand on wikipedia and has written it on a white board somewhere

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

do they actually have the production servers in their office building

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Wars Squadron is not going to be good lol.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Star Wars Squadron is not going to be good lol.

Wow, look at this wrong post

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

It’s been dark for years. He just wasn’t really looking.

Yeah CIG pretty much went dark in early 2019, as far as giving any sort of meaningful updates on the state of the project and how it will ever release before the heat death of the Universe. Even the pathetic non-update of the “roadmap to the roadmap” only happened after months of discontent on Spectrum spilled out into the mainstream games media.

Speaking of which, I can’t wait for that SQ42 video that I’m sure just needs a few more months of editing.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 11, 2020

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
When will Roberts Space Industries be renamed to Calder Space Industries?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

First, it's obviously edited together at spots.
Second, if the escape itself isn't edited from several takes (and I am almost sure it is), then it took multiple tries to get done as a single take.

In particular I love how he cuts from people being below the final deadly stairs to suddenly all of them being above.

It's a good video, but I dislike it for pretending to make Star Citizen be playable more than it is.

Uh... yes, it's edited, the thing Bedbananas is generally known for is "video editing." Never said it wasn't edited! And if it wasn't, it wouldn't be enjoyable to watch.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

He usually edits good games, not a broken game edited to look not less broken without a disclaimer.

cwtch
Jul 27, 2017
Through a GAAS, darkly

When I was a Citizen, I pledged for 6mo insurance as a Citizen, I crashed my Aurora as a Citizen, I bought a 600i as a Citizen; but when I became a Concierge, I melted away these childish things.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

First, it's obviously edited together at spots.
Second, if the escape itself isn't edited from several takes (and I am almost sure it is), then it took multiple tries to get done as a single take.

In particular I love how he cuts from people being below the final deadly stairs to suddenly all of them being above.

It's a good video, but I dislike it for pretending to make Star Citizen be playable more than it is.

BedBananas is known for doing heavily edited videos. It's weird because this time it's a game that we know will never get finished.

I highly encourage you to watch his hitman videos. they are absolutely magical.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

I've never really thought of it as a "simulation".

What Tony Z has is an economy "formula". It is a fancy formula, full of a lot of inputs and outputs. Tweak a value here, and the formula compensates there. Everything in balance. Enter an agent of chaos into an assigned chaos field, and agent of order compensates directly to it. Number generation upon generation upon generation.

That's a formula, not a simulation.

A simulation would skew and squirm while crying and wailing anytime balance was enforced. A simulation would, well, simulate greed, violence, and misery.

If you could "simulate" an economy, we'd have economic models available for loving pennies worth of our actual economy here, and it would be pin-point accurate. But we don't, no one knows what the gently caress is going to happen in an economy over a long enough time period, because human psychology and sociology changes with the culture and events of the time.

EVE Online real life spaceman simulation, WoW's auction house, Warframe.Market. These are game economies that work, and also work for the benefit of the developer. Star Citizen shows how things can work because the backers have no idea how these things work.

Devs mostly throw something out (D3 RMAH remember?) and see if poo poo hits the fan.

Also are any of you heeding the call of the horn of goondor? Would be interesting to fly with you guys.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

cwtch posted:

Through a GAAS, darkly

When I was a Citizen, I pledged for 6mo insurance as a Citizen, I crashed my Aurora as a Citizen, I bought a 600i as a Citizen; but when I became a Concierge, I melted away these childish things.

what is a concierge? is that like a donor level?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY60Ia4BJvQ

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Mirificus quoting an idiot posted:

SSD is required because SC constantly stream huge assets while you move (or entities move toward you). And when you stream huge assets, like SC do, at the speed of a HDD, your assets come too slowly (stutter) or worse, can't load if you don't have enough memory to stock them.
SC have structured it's rendering workflow similarly to the rendering workflow proposed in the new PS5 with its SSD. It's a cool techno, but it only works if you can stream assets fast, disqualifying HDD.
In SC and the PS5, the SSD is structured to be a main part of how graphics are rendered. The disk is more than a data storage used only during the loading screen at the start of the level or during cut-scenes.

SSD streaming assets in action on the PS5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD3PfBEEYNE

Holy gently caress I know I should not be surprised, but that is seriously the literal pinnacle of how SC fans archer everything competent somebody else has done and manage to misunderstand it into being somehow good for SC.

Like seriously there are so many things they obviously do not comprehend about how that poo poo actually works and how it differs from current PC architecture. I have an NVMe SSD in my current gaming rig, but it physically cannot mimic the process the PS5 uses because it is not built the same way. Classic dreams.txt with zero base in reality.

:negative:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I'm making bank selling jpegs of Play Station 5's to backers.

I'll be a millionaire by Monday.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

punishedkissinger posted:

Spend at least $1,000.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

I need one of these with Rose and Jack on the bow of the Titanic.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

punishedkissinger posted:

It's when Chris Roberts has used Star Citizen's "grabby hands" tech to remove over $1000 out of your wallet.

It then unlocks new ways to support Sandi Gardiner's dreams of being able to act.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

such brilliant timing

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Spend at least $1,000.

Take that back!

Don't make me go and get uncle Derek to teach you how to use commas!!!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

IAbsolveMyself posted:

🎵🎶
And I'm proud to be a Refundian, where at least JPGs are free
And I won't forget the Crobbler's lies, nor the lies from CIG
And I'll proudly stand up next to goons, and shitpost here today
Cos despite Lowtax I love this page, God bless the forums of SA

Posting from a few dozen pages back to say I really liked this.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Wait, Cyberpunk and Squadrons has been delayed by 2 years?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

Wow, look at this wrong post

It's only $40 and is being published by EA. It will be completely barebones and support will be dropped after a month.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I said come in! posted:

It's only $40 and is being published by EA. It will be completely barebones and support will be dropped after a month.

I’m on the fence until it launches. I’m still mildly skeptical since EA are the proud scumlords of the industry. Plus, the price and length of dev time point to a pretty striped down experience. I’m also not thrilled with the number of players, considering the scale of the battles that X-Wing Alliance had in 1999. A small-scale arena game seems like a big step backwards.

But the trailers and demos look good so far. Now we just have to wait and see how good the bartender AI is.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

I said come in! posted:

Found Lando's SA account!

Edit: just joshing you. It isn't like I'm going to buy it. I hope it does big numbers just to have a laugh at Crobbles.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 11, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Well from what we’ve seen so far it’s not very barebones and even if they do not support the game very long it’s $40 and the MP will still be a thing.

The game does look very good and the team has put a lot of effort into it.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Space games are bad.

Space ain't the place.

Buy a submarine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Well from what we’ve seen so far it’s not very barebones and even if they do not support the game very long it’s $40 and the MP will still be a thing.

The game does look very good and the team has put a lot of effort into it.

8 fighters total, 6 locations, and 3 game modes. It's barebones. At $40, the story mode at best is going to be a tutorial.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Mirificus posted:

Kotaku UK worst attempt at Star Citizen hit piece ever!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGRZviA4KAI
Did he just make a video about 4 year old reposted article? :lol:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The star war is a glorified battlefront 2 DLC. EA of all companies would not be pricing it at 40 bux unless even they think there will be no use pretending. I’m sorry to say it, if you desire to fly x-wings you shall never know peace or justice on this earth

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I mean was Kotaku's piece wrong?

At the time: No, no it isn't.
4 years later: No, no it wasn't.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bootcha posted:

Space games are bad.

Space ain't the place.

Buy a submarine.

Excuse me what are you doing posting here while sunk cost Galaxy remains unfinished?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Not sure you argon believe this, but...

Chris Roberts lives!

Christopher Roberts@croberts68 posted:

The Room System has been in the game for quite a while and fully works including equalization of gases / atmosphere between room volumes (including dissipation into the global room aka open space / vacuum)

When you suffocate for lack of oxygen that is because you are in a "room" with not enough oxygen.

The Room System is basically how the game describes volumes of gas, their pressure, density and temperature so a planet has a room (it's atmosphere) a ship has rooms (various compartments between bulkheads), even "The Coil" in Squadron 42 has it's volume described by a "room".

We use it for the Player Status System (breathing oxygen), for atmospheric flight (the room system contains all the information in terms of density and composition of the atmosphere in terms of gasses that flight model uses to calculate drag and lift), weather (some of the current weather ground FX are partly influenced by the room's temperature, density and even composition of gasses in the atmosphere), contrails (in atmosphere and in space gas clouds) and atmospheric entry effects on ships.

So the Room System is very important for a lot of systems and has been been in Star Citizen for years.

What @MGibson-cig was saying and may have been lost in translation as you don't know our internal terms is that rooms can have two states; mutable and immutable. Mutable means that the room has a finite amount of density / pressure / gasses which can pass to another room if it is connected to it and there is a difference in pressure. So if you open an door to space from your Aurora if the internal room is set to mutable the atmosphere inside will escape outside. Immutable means the room has what is considered an infinite amount of gas and it's pressure won't change. Planet Atmospheres are immutable rooms, as is the vacuum of space. When we first set up rooms on the vehicles we didn't have the life support component (and it's related vents) implemented yet so we had no way to supply more oxygen to a room that had lost it, so the designers set the ship rooms to immutable (infinite supply of oxygen basically) as a temporary measure because otherwise if you opened your door in space you would lose your internal breathable atmosphere and suffocate if you didn't have a space suit on. All ships have rooms, and in fact why people occasionally suffocate on a ship in some places is because the room volume hasn't been set up correctly and there is some part of the ship without a room, and without a room there is no atmosphere and the game treats everything outside a room as vacuum.

We have the initial implementation of life support components and their connected vents working internally but rolling it out for the ships will take a while as we need to literally "plumb" the ships with a set of extra components, not just the life support component but all it's vents. We have a few other systemic ship features like more interactive cockpits (DCS style) we've been working on, as well as the dynamic fire system (which also uses and affects the room / atmosphere) and an update to the "pipe" system that shares resources like power, heat, fuel, atmosphere between components that will be more flexible and scalable so it's really a matter of scheduling when we do passes on our huge number of ships to set them up for the new systems that are waiting and the ones to be ready soon; As everyone always has more work than time it is going to be more efficient to update multiple things once we crack open a ship to update it, hence some of the functionality we have waiting in the wings hasn't been rolled out just yet.

There is a lot of very cool systemic gameplay that we've been working to finish off in the background for ships that once all together will create a spaceship simulation like no other. Let me give you an example that factors in our new physical damage (that we are working on as I type; this is one of things that I'm pretty involved in), fire, room, pipe and player status systems.

A ballistic round passes through the ship's shield, which scrubs off some of its kinetic energy but not enough as the round's velocity was high as was its mass as it was an armor piercing round. It manages to penetrate the armor and strikes an internal component, say a power relay node (something else we are working on as part of the pipe system refactor). The power node takes damage giving it a chance to "misfire" while in use. A few minutes later the node does misfire, blowing its fuse and resulting in it catching fire. The crew of the ship doesn't realize a fire has broken out in one of the side corridors, as they are busily concentrating on fighting the ships attacking them. The fire starts to spread along flammable surfaces, and as the fire starts to engulf other components they also catch fire. The engineer on the bridge of the ship sees his console flash red giving him a warning that several components have failed and looking at his ships schematic he sees a fire has broken out below decks. The engineer decides to seal the bulkhead doors on the corridor to contain the fire but the doors have no power as the power node is out! He comms one of his crew mates to leave his turret and grab an extinguisher and put out the blaze which is slowly creeping towards the power plant room. Fire reaching a ship's power plant or it's ammo stores are two sure fire ways for your ship to go boom. With the physical damage system ships will no longer just explode when their hit points reach zero, they'll explode because something inside them went critical and exploded (due to damage or heat), which then damages everything else. Outside of that damage will affect the ability of the ship to function or it's structural integrity so they also could become a lifeless hulk as much as they could go up in a flash of light. When the crew member gets to the corridor where the fire has broken out is has already consumed a huge amount of oxygen in that "room" (the corridor) and has released noxious gasses, so the crew member can't breathe and quickly retreats to put on a fire resistant suit and helmet. The engineer in desperation manages to reroute power away from the destroyed node through a secondary node restoring power to enough of the bulkhead doors to allow him to contain the fire. Noticing that there is an external airlock in the sealed off area he opens the airlock, venting the oxygen in the sealed off corridors and rooms to the vacuum of space, depriving the fire of the ability to burn, putting most of it out. By this time the crew member is suitably dressed and can extinguish the fire that made it past the bulkhead door before it can grow again. The engineer then reseals the airlock and allows the life support system to replenish the air in the vented part of the ship. Once done the engineer opens up the bulkhead door allowing the crewmember in with a replacement fuse for the power node, restoring power to that section of the ship, then returns to his turret. It's been a close call but the ship is still alive and in the fight!

What I describe will be possible once we have finished and deployed the systems we're working on. I know it can be frustrating to wait for all of this functionality to be online but I promise you everyone is working as hard and as smartly as possible to get there; we are just going for a higher level of systemic gameplay (versus scripted) than most if not all games, and to architect all of this so it works in multiplayer at scale is no small feat.

I am very invested in making Star Citizen's gameplay as systemic as possible as I think this will open up so many possibilities of emergent and immersive gameplay. The downside of this approach is that it takes longer to see results as opposed to scripting actions as you have to build the fundamental systems first and have them interact with each other before the full extent of the gameplay becomes apparent. But for the long term, and for people's ability to lose themselves in the universe of Star Citizen for many years to come it is the approach that will have the best results.