Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Pushed a testing thing out on kong for NGU -mostly fluff like a big addition of card art (thanks musluk) for Cards, but also fleshed out a bit more of what will be the end arc for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is it safe for me to throw out my cheese and forest armour sets in ngu? my inventory is filling up

i just unlocked the fruit growing and am on boss 84 but have not done any challenges yet. i'm not sure what the optimal strat is so so far i've just been upgrading random poo poo and trying to get my shapes dimension armour to 100

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is it safe for me to throw out my cheese and forest armour sets in ngu? my inventory is filling up

i just unlocked the fruit growing and am on boss 84 but have not done any challenges yet. i'm not sure what the optimal strat is so so far i've just been upgrading random poo poo and trying to get my shapes dimension armour to 100

I've yet to find a good enough reason to keep any previous set outside of a few choice pieces of gear that boost things you unlock way later on.

I've heard it becomes more common to do that near the end of the game but you're like 2 years away from that kind of stuff yet probably.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kin posted:

I'm towards the latter half of evil and haven't bothered with any potions yet.

Am I missing significant gains? I'm still saving up AP for what feels like more useful features like the extra accessory slots and such.

You're missing out on double gains. That 10k per beta potion is peanuts, especially if you do a long rebirth. You can even stack that with the 24h potion if you're aiming to jump over a particularly big hurdle, though they cost a pretty penny. It's better to stock up through the daily roulette.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 9, 2020

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Prestige Tree has a you're winner screen now

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

dis astranagant posted:

The madlad running it updates multiple times a day.

I was just thinking "wow, I hit the complete end of the content in The Prestige Tree after like 57.5 hours" and then I saw this post, refreshed, and saw I was like 10 patches behind.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
How the hell do I get to 20 singularities in Ordinal Markup? I'm on 18 and my only options now are getting the 10th manifold (I need 1225 multiplier for that and after letting incrementy build up over night, I barely got over 1100) or getting e22 Nw (I make about 3e17 cardinals per reset).
I've tried building up more and more cardinals every reset with the keeping 10% of boosters upgrade, but at best I improve my maximum by like .05e17 cardinals, and most of the time it just stays lower than my maximum for apparently no reason.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

How the hell do I get to 20 singularities in Ordinal Markup? I'm on 18 and my only options now are getting the 10th manifold (I need 1225 multiplier for that and after letting incrementy build up over night, I barely got over 1100) or getting e22 Nw (I make about 3e17 cardinals per reset).
I've tried building up more and more cardinals every reset with the keeping 10% of boosters upgrade, but at best I improve my maximum by like .05e17 cardinals, and most of the time it just stays lower than my maximum for apparently no reason.
Cardinal gain decreases with time spent so you get almost all your cardinals on collapse from the carried over boosters. The way to push cardinals is to do a long run to build up boosters and then collapse twice (optionally wait 1000 seconds between for optimal gains). Once you get high enough you can just wait for the passive gain, which should be giving you much more than actually collapsing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

korora posted:

Cardinal gain decreases with time spent so you get almost all your cardinals on collapse from the carried over boosters. The way to push cardinals is to do a long run to build up boosters and then collapse twice (optionally wait 1000 seconds between for optimal gains). Once you get high enough you can just wait for the passive gain, which should be giving you much more than actually collapsing.

That makes sense, I kept resetting at 1000 seconds to get any cardinal gains I could. I guess I'll just let it run overnight building up boosters and then see if that gives me significant gains.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Prestige Tree has a you're winner screen now

Ha thanks for posting this - gave me a good reason to revisit it and feel a sweet sense of completion (i guess?)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Just finished the last challenge in Prestige Tree, and it seems to slam into a wall immediately at that point. H/Q gains plateau, B/G slow to a crawl just shy of new upgrades (B at 1257 and G at 598), never mind even beginning to pretend to approach T5 stuff. I feel like I'm missing something here, but I've checked everything and I've got everything I can. Is this just supposed to be a tedious slog at this point, for the first time in the whole game?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
By last challenge do you mean Challenge10 or 13?

H and Q gains work off of eachother, keep going back and forth between them and they gradually go up. Eventually (like 30 minutes at most?) you will be able to afford the first M or BA. I don't specifically remember if you had to reach an upgrade to kick you intothe last few magnitudes.

Onec you get to M/BA Id advise to get 2 BA first then 2 M, 5 BA, 4 M, 8 BA, then start alternating btween them.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

There's a bit of a wall getting to the 1261 boost upgrade. Keep getting H and Q (I had 1e63 H and 4.3e97 Q) and then let it run for like a half hour. Once you get that upgrade, it starts moving again.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, that was the first real slow spot which is pretty good. There was another between Challenge 13 and SP, that took more time to scale (at least in part because I kept getting bored of the constant grind of and BA/M) but I got over that too. Now I'm just grinding out SP for the last couple upgrades and then I think it's just a straight shot to the ending? Nice to have a more recent one of these that's got a specific endgoal at least.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

KazigluBey posted:

Right now my jam is Idle Wizard; the ridiculous complexity of single-run builds is fascinating to me. Terrible IAP model but the production quality is fantastic and when you hit major power spikes or get a build that runs right there's nothing quite like it. Probably the most wiki-dependent of any Idle game I've played in a long time, tho.

I got into WAMI (so far so good) and Idle Wizard. The latter seems really active though - what with void clicking and spells. Are there ways to automate these things down the road?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

pokie posted:

I got into WAMI (so far so good) and Idle Wizard. The latter seems really active though - what with void clicking and spells. Are there ways to automate these things down the road?

Yes, but it won't make it less active. Idle Wizard is not only very active, it also has massive timewalls and absolutely, 100% requires a wiki to make progress, since at every mysteries level, there are only 1 or 2 builds that will actually make progress, and usually those builds are not obvious and require large amounts of time spent buffing accumulated spells. I'd skip it or play it with cheat engine or something where you can turn the speed up 5x or 10x.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I've just started Trimps as a result of this thread. Only "idle" game I ever played was NGU but I'm in Sad now so not really much to do anymore.

Now that Trimps has been running for a few days - is it still fun after weeks/months? Or not worth getting hooked?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Yes, but it won't make it less active. Idle Wizard is not only very active, it also has massive timewalls and absolutely, 100% requires a wiki to make progress, since at every mysteries level, there are only 1 or 2 builds that will actually make progress, and usually those builds are not obvious and require large amounts of time spent buffing accumulated spells. I'd skip it or play it with cheat engine or something where you can turn the speed up 5x or 10x.

Boo. Yeah, I am sticking to CK3 or something for active games.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Trimps has content for years and yes, keeps unfolding new stuff pretty regularly as you play. Sometimes you have to grind helium to be able to reach a new unlock easily, but it's not anything more egregious than NGU's grinding periods.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Idle Wizard and Realm Grinder have the same problem. As you progress they start to depend on very specific builds for specific walls.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Been playing Idle Momentum lately, for a game that consists of repeatedly pressing the space bar to Max All (at least until you've bought enough automation upgrades in the ascension shop) it's remarkably addictive. Lots of numbers that go up.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
NGU talk

Blattdorf posted:

You're missing out on double gains. That 10k per beta potion is peanuts, especially if you do a long rebirth. You can even stack that with the 24h potion if you're aiming to jump over a particularly big hurdle, though they cost a pretty penny. It's better to stock up through the daily roulette.
I'm right at the end of Normal, just getting my Chocolate Gear up to snuff and spending exp and Beast Points on Energy. Almost all of the challenges are done, just missing a few 24h and TM challenges which the Wiki says is ok. I'm almost at the point where Ygg's drop chance fruit is at 24 so I can start spending poop on it. That's a sentence I just typed.

That said, I have lots of potions that I got from the wheel over the past 9 months that I've never used. I have no idea what they do.

\edit: Kong is back up

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 13, 2020

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

CannonFodder posted:

NGU talk
I'm right at the end of Normal, just getting my Chocolate Gear up to snuff and spending exp and Beast Points on Energy. Almost all of the challenges are done, just missing a few 24h and TM challenges which the Wiki says is ok. I'm almost at the point where Ygg's drop chance fruit is at 24 so I can start spending poop on it. That's a sentence I just typed.

That said, I have lots of potions that I got from the wheel over the past 9 months that I've never used. I have no idea what they do.

\edit: Kong is back up

Potions are amazing. They can easily cut several days of waiting for stats for a new titan during a long rebirth. Sure, you got to the end of normal without using them. Kudos. But it's possible to make substantially faster time using them strategically. At this point that would be in evil when working on evil NGUs.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Youth Decay posted:

Been playing Idle Momentum lately, for a game that consists of repeatedly pressing the space bar to Max All (at least until you've bought enough automation upgrades in the ascension shop) it's remarkably addictive. Lots of numbers that go up.

In case anyone is checking this out, look at the hotkey page! You don't wanna be the guy who repeatedly presses the "claim all" button on those stupid goddamn cards, believe me.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there an ideal point to start doing challenges in NGU? I havent done any yet and i just got to broken vcr man (boss 90 i think)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Cobalt60 posted:

I've just started Trimps as a result of this thread. Only "idle" game I ever played was NGU but I'm in Sad now so not really much to do anymore.

Now that Trimps has been running for a few days - is it still fun after weeks/months? Or not worth getting hooked?

trimps suffers somewhat from being designed in the early years of idlers, and a lot of it's automation is gated months into the game. do yourself a favor and try out autotrimps, and either way it's a game that you will end up ignoring even more than ngu

that said, i'm playing it so /shrugguy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is there an ideal point to start doing challenges in NGU? I havent done any yet and i just got to broken vcr man (boss 90 i think)

soon as you've got stuff that isn't directly affected by NUMBER, really. get some NGUs and some equipment and some ygasdril/beards and go to town on them

basic is very easy; 100 level is arguably your next priority, unless i'm misremembering

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Yes, sorta. I wrote a challenge guide for this game. Around where you are you can do all basic challenges and 1-2 24hr ones for a bunch of AP and adv stats bonus. Reserve the rest until after beating the next titan.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

pokie posted:

Yes to both your questions. Void Entities can be automated for almost every class with a pair of spells, one that spawns them faster / makes them worth more, and one that auto collects them. Spells can be fully automated as well, you'll have an option that casts a spell as soon as it has a charge ready, and an option that lets a spell build up charges until full and then only ever spend the last one. A lot of the basic meat and potatoes of the game can be automated, it's the setting up / shifting priorities part of a run that will demand some limited attention from you.

pokie posted:

Boo. Yeah, I am sticking to CK3 or something for active games.

Counterpoints to a lot of what New Yorp New Yorp said: First, two very early, very simple builds (Necromancer and Druid) can carry (with some inefficiencies) pretty much for the bulk of the game. I'm currently close to doing Realms (think of it as a second nested reset system you only get loads in, Steam has me at 320 hours and I'm still not there) and I still do long simple stretches (week+) with Necromancer because it's an idle/offline play-style that pairs well with equipment progression. Both Necromancer and Druid are dead easy to understand and use. Most of the other early classes, like Prodigy, Arcanist and Demonologist are all simple and straightforwards too. I think you could dump some fairly decent time into this game before feeling the need to use wiki build guides, early game progression is pretty fast no matter what you pick and the builds pretty much present themselves on account of you not having all the possible spells locked by character level.

I feel like complex must-use-wiki builds only really creep in later, by which point you know if you like the game or not and are willing to put up with it or not. The final three pre-Realms classes, Alchemist, Ironsoul and Abolisher are all super fiddly and a guide helps tremendously, but almost everything else before is fairly easy to to either figure out on your own or do with like a 10 second glace at the wiki for clarification.

Only very few builds require an "active" playstyle (here I make a distinction between "active", i.e.: "I have to be clicking or changing things constantly" and "idle/online" where you have the game open but just running it in the background while you do other stuff) - off the top of my head Umbramancer is the most active pre-Realms class and you can get away with not spending much time with it outside of doing some 'cheevo farming. Chronomancer can be a little on the active side too but that's all down to that class's spell-stacking needing your input, pretty much all other spell-stacking can be done in idle/online if needed. Chronomancer, incidentally, kicks in at a point where you get MASSIVE progress returns for time spent on that class, so I can forgive the time I spent with it quite a lot.

I'll admit the game has a few really unjustifiably bad beats, tho: monetization provides clear progress advantages and unlike games such as NGU there's functionally no way to get the premium resource for free (there's codes the devs post that are collected in a Steam thread but it's a very small trickle). The final three pre-Realms classes I mentioned are fairly gear dependent and gear progression is super random and slow (albeit permanent progress). I've only ever hit one big progression wall, which happens to be the point I'm at, but I'll say this is mitigated somewhat because that Necromancer build lets me focus on the equipment that the final three need AND I'm making some Mysteries progress on the side as well. Umbramancer is a terrible class that all but demands the use of an auto-clicker and while updates have helped mitigate this I still feel like the class should just be overhauled completely instead.

All in all, I'd say give the game a shot until you've maybe hit the fifth or sixth class unlock. You'll have an idea of whether or not the build system is something you care about at all and if the idle/active playstyles on offer are at all your jam.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 13, 2020

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Eldercain posted:

trimps suffers somewhat from being designed in the early years of idlers, and a lot of it's automation is gated months into the game. do yourself a favor and try out autotrimps, and either way it's a game that you will end up ignoring even more than ngu

that said, i'm playing it so /shrugguy

They moved some of the automation up quite a bit recently, I think.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

KazigluBey posted:

Yes to both your questions. Void Entities can be automated for almost every class with a pair of spells, one that spawns them faster / makes them worth more, and one that auto collects them. Spells can be fully automated as well, you'll have an option that casts a spell as soon as it has a charge ready, and an option that lets a spell build up charges until full and then only ever spend the last one. A lot of the basic meat and potatoes of the game can be automated, it's the setting up / shifting priorities part of a run that will demand some limited attention from you.

Counterpoints to a lot of what New Yorp New Yorp said: First, two very early, very simple builds (Necromancer and Druid) can carry (with some inefficiencies) pretty much for the bulk of the game. I'm currently close to doing Realms (think of it as a second nested reset system you only get loads in, Steam has me at 320 hours and I'm still not there) and I still do long simple stretches (week+) with Necromancer because it's an idle/offline play-style that pairs well with equipment progression. Both Necromancer and Druid are dead easy to understand and use. Most of the other early classes, like Prodigy, Arcanist and Demonologist are all simple and straightforwards too. I think you could dump some fairly decent time into this game before feeling the need to use wiki build guides, early game progression is pretty fast no matter what you pick and the builds pretty much present themselves on account of you not having all the possible spells locked by character level.

I feel like complex must-use-wiki builds only really creep in later, by which point you know if you like the game or not and are willing to put up with it or not. The final three pre-Realms classes, Alchemist, Ironsoul and Abolisher are all super fiddly and a guide helps tremendously, but almost everything else before is fairly easy to to either figure out on your own or do with like a 10 second glace at the wiki for clarification.

Only very few builds require an "active" playstyle (here I make a distinction between "active", i.e.: "I have to be clicking or changing things constantly" and "idle/online" where you have the game open but just running it in the background while you do other stuff) - off the top of my head Umbramancer is the most active pre-Realms class and you can get away with not spending much time with it outside of doing some 'cheevo farming. Chronomancer can be a little on the active side too but that's all down to that class's spell-stacking needing your input, pretty much all other spell-stacking can be done in idle/online if needed. Chronomancer, incidentally, kicks in at a point where you get MASSIVE progress returns for time spent on that class, so I can forgive the time I spent with it quite a lot.

I'll admit the game has a few really unjustifiably bad beats, tho: monetization provides clear progress advantages and unlike games such as NGU there's functionally no way to get the premium resource for free (there's codes the devs post that are collected in a Steam thread but it's a very small trickle). The final three pre-Realms classes I mentioned are fairly gear dependent and gear progression is super random and slow (albeit permanent progress). I've only ever hit one big progression wall, which happens to be the point I'm at, but I'll say this is mitigated somewhat because that Necromancer build lets me focus on the equipment that the final three need AND I'm making some Mysteries progress on the side as well. Umbramancer is a terrible class that all but demands the use of an auto-clicker and while updates have helped mitigate this I still feel like the class should just be overhauled completely instead.

All in all, I'd say give the game a shot until you've maybe hit the fifth or sixth class unlock. You'll have an idea of whether or not the build system is something you care about at all and if the idle/active playstyles on offer are at all your jam.

Alright, I will run it for some time.

Have you or anyone else used cheat engine to speed it up? If so, what's a "good" speed to use?

E: and fwiw i cheated myself a ton of premium currency like a boss :v.

What am I looking for to automate spells?

pokie fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 13, 2020

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

pokie posted:

Alright, I will run it for some time.

Have you or anyone else used cheat engine to speed it up? If so, what's a "good" speed to use?

E: and fwiw i cheated myself a ton of premium currency like a boss :v.

What am I looking for to automate spells?

I've not used cheat engine, no, not with Idle Wizard at any rate. I'd say that if you want a smoother experience and since you've already given yourself premium currency just get the VIP upgrades as they include a source-buy automater. Get the bat-hunter too. Later when gear becomes available you can skip the waiting around part of that grind by just premium-ing yourself a bunch of crating dust.

re: automate spells, it's a series of 6 upgrades you get, first one at 1.2e9 mana and the last one at 6.25e56 mana. They require an "All-time spell cast" count which is a permanent stat, lowest one is 100 and ofc after that you can use the automate spell upgrades as you get them to continue getting them until you have all 6. Past a certain point in the game you'll have all 6 pretty much as soon as you start a run, like literally a second in.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

KazigluBey posted:

I've not used cheat engine, no, not with Idle Wizard at any rate. I'd say that if you want a smoother experience and since you've already given yourself premium currency just get the VIP upgrades as they include a source-buy automater. Get the bat-hunter too. Later when gear becomes available you can skip the waiting around part of that grind by just premium-ing yourself a bunch of crating dust.

re: automate spells, it's a series of 6 upgrades you get, first one at 1.2e9 mana and the last one at 6.25e56 mana. They require an "All-time spell cast" count which is a permanent stat, lowest one is 100 and ofc after that you can use the automate spell upgrades as you get them to continue getting them until you have all 6. Past a certain point in the game you'll have all 6 pretty much as soon as you start a run, like literally a second in.

Awesome, thanks for the info.
I'm looking forward to the more complex stuff. I don't mind games that require going through the wiki etc.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I had a dream that I unlocked Resource 3 and discovered everything I could do with it. You're really something, Something.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Is there a current AutoTrimps somewhere? I can't seem to find one.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Buzkashi posted:

Is there a current AutoTrimps somewhere? I can't seem to find one.

the zek version I think?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Eldercain posted:

the zek version I think?

https://github.com/Zorn192/AutoTrimps

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

KazigluBey posted:

Well, with all the VIP purchases, so far so good. Druid build from wiki is amusing. Are expeditions basically an active sub-game? Am I correct in understanding that I can bypass them with premium currency's crafting options?

E: Also what builds should I look into past 1e50 mysteries?

pokie fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 15, 2020

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

pokie posted:

Well, with all the VIP purchases, so far so good. Druid build from wiki is amusing. Are expeditions basically an active sub-game? Am I correct in understanding that I can bypass them with premium currency's crafting options?

E: Also what builds should I look into past 1e50 mysteries?

Expeditions are weird, I ended up not engaging with the feature at all because there's an option to just idle through it, which works offline too. No need for premium. The keys are for end-game expeditions and are obtained via (normally post-equipment) crafting.

Just past 1e50 mysteries is where Exorcist does pretty well for the first time. 1e60+ Necromancer works like a charm too, but is the most idle/offline of any build so keep that in mind, ~10 day runs are average with Necromancer. Voidmancer and Demonologist do fine too.

At this point you may want to begin looking into doing Challenges, there's 100 of them and they're permanent progress with good rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh god i've gotten back into arcanum

https://www.lerpinglemur.com/arcanum/

think there's like two more layers of classes plus what looks like a prestige system since i last played