Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TK-42-1 posted:

His whole spiel about preying on their fear and moving like an animal to feel the kill is so good. Like dudes a legit psycho when he gets ramped up and still somehow has a heart of gold.

“Say scuba. Scuba.”

The Scuba bit is still one of my favorite exchanges in the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TK-42-1 posted:

His whole spiel about preying on their fear and moving like an animal to feel the kill is so good. Like dudes a legit psycho when he gets ramped up and still somehow has a heart of gold.

“Say scuba. Scuba.”

Brock Samson's whole thing is a Race Bannon riff, but feels like the general deal is an exaggeration of a pulp man's man in general, the idea of a Duncan Idaho type badass bodyguard who wrecks generic henchmen all day taken to the point of being a slasher movie monster.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

but still a good dad, even if they aren't his own kids

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Brock Samson's whole thing is a Race Bannon riff, but feels like the general deal is an exaggeration of a pulp man's man in general, the idea of a Duncan Idaho type badass bodyguard who wrecks generic henchmen all day taken to the point of being a slasher movie monster.

Now I want endless Brock clones

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Now I want endless Brock clones

It even has precedent!

And now I want the series to end on a timeskip to God-Emperor Dean, ruler of the Galactic Guild of Calamitous Intent, activating his thousandth Brock clone.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It even has precedent!

And now I want the series to end on a timeskip to God-Emperor Dean, ruler of the Galactic Guild of Calamitous Intent, activating his thousandth Brock clone.

This sounds way more interesting than the actual boring new Dune remake.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I love how Jonas jr just called him Super Kill Guy

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Slayer of men...slayer of heeench-men......

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What did I do?

What did yooooou do?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
This is just... wrong, Doc, even for you!

And of course, there's that bit of text beneath my avatar.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6leisjxacQ

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It even has precedent!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I say “mournful” when something looks droopy because of this show

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

"Agh! It was horrifying! His calf rolled up like a window shade!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I'd completely forgotten about that episode. I love how Doc tries to be dramatic about it but no one is fooled that it's anything but another day at the office.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

"Well fine! Thanks for not helping!"

"Uh huh. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"HELP ME FIND DEAD PEOPLE!"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eat the pennies quizboy...

Just eat the goddammit pennies Billy!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

multijoe posted:

Eat the pennies quizboy...

Just eat the goddammit pennies Billy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34gATGTDp38

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pete is such a bad friend

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah Pete, like most characters on the show, is a charismatic but horrible person

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pete is basically Rusty but with less talent and more social skills. And life skills.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah Pete, like most characters on the show, is a charismatic but horrible person

I mean who here hasn't volunteered their young friend to an underground quiz off with dog mauling as a penalty for failure?

He saw the Bauhaus when he was your age!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean who here hasn't volunteered their young friend to an underground quiz off with dog mauling as a penalty for failure?

He saw the Bauhaus when he was your age!

I thought White just didn't understand the guy and sold Billie to an underground dog fighting ring proving what a massive rear end in a top hat he was. The only reason White is nice to Billie is he feels bad and responsible for Billie losing the arm. I think White might be one of the worst people in the show, he wipes Billies memory of all the horrible poo poo he's done. At least the OSI is using it to be secretive or something vaguely misguided but intended as noble.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I love that OSI doesn't even bother wiping Pete's memory because, what is he going to do?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Doesn't even flush half the time.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

White telling Billy he doesn’t want to see his poop no matter how big it is shines such a great light on that relationship with just one line.

“You’re here to steal our great ideas. Jokes on you: we have none.”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A small but maybe important detail is that Pete is found sitting on his stoop heavily sunburnt when the OSI drops Billy off- implies a suicide attempt for a sunlight-sensitive albino living in New Mexico.

He's got just enough of a conscience that he's easy to push around.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It's like White wants to play the bad guy but can't actually do it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I never realized that White was basically just Doc Hammer’s self insert before seeing his avatar on a that Facebook post

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bust Rodd posted:

I never realized that White was basically just Doc Hammer’s self insert before seeing his avatar on a that Facebook post

White is Jackson's impression of Doc. Likewise Billie is Doc's impression of Jackson.

Similarly Watch and Ward are both them trying to do Megatron.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I love that OSI doesn't even bother wiping Pete's memory because, what is he going to do?

"White, you lazy bastard! If you had even an ounce of that little boy's moxie, I'd be cleaning you like a toilet seat!"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

VB had two separate "...is that man dead?" jokes and they're both great, be it Venturestein or The Ghost Pirate Rules.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I like White and want him to get better. Same - especially - for Rusty. And I like how Rusty has, in bits and pieces, become both a better father and a better person than he was early on. Even if he's still, you know, Rusty.

I think the only character they've ever shown - and rightly - to be a complete monster with no redeeming - non-superficial - qualities in Jonas. Jonas is just a complete monster and the depiction of his and Rusty's relationship is really a way more raw and realistic depiction of child abuse and the scars it leaves than a lot more serious shows manage.
..You know, the cartoon comedy show and where the relationship in question is between James Bond by way of Doc Savage and his son who's basically Johnny Quest.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I like White and want him to get better. Same - especially - for Rusty. And I like how Rusty has, in bits and pieces, become both a better father and a better person than he was early on. Even if he's still, you know, Rusty.

I think the only character they've ever shown - and rightly - to be a complete monster with no redeeming - non-superficial - qualities in Jonas. Jonas is just a complete monster and the depiction of his and Rusty's relationship is really a way more raw and realistic depiction of child abuse and the scars it leaves than a lot more serious shows manage.
..You know, the cartoon comedy show and where the relationship in question is between James Bond by way of Doc Savage and his son who's basically Johnny Quest.

The thing I enjoy about Jonas is that he seems to really believe he is a good father and goes out of his way to do things that he imagines a good father does despite his general negligence and narcissism. Like in Ghosts of the Sargasso when Rusty wanders up to the deck half-awake and wonders what's going on as he watches an old family friend burn up on reentry and die horribly, Jonas suppresses his sadness and tells him that he's dreaming in what is for the period a fatherly way, even though that obviously is the wrong thing to do and obviously hosed Rusty up. He definitely makes excuses for his negligence and has no idea what a child actually needs or what would harm him, but he would probably say that he loves Rusty and cares what happens to him.

EDIT: it's what I like about how Doc and Jackson developed the character, I should say.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He's a classic narcissistic parent who sees his kid as basically an extension of himself imo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I still don’t think there’s really any room to paint Jonas as a good or loving father. He’s a serial narcissist and his tending of Rusty is, to me, explicitly shown to be in order to curate how Rusty reflects on Jonas, not out of any paternal drive to develop a relationship with his son. It’s not even a case of “Jonas was a good dad and loved me in his own way”, it’s just an incredibly selfish and self-absorbed person who hires a team of unqualified baby sitters to take care of things for him.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah. Rusty, for his many, many, many failings as a person and as a father, does clearly genuinely love the boys. Jonas didn't/doesn't love Rusty, and clearly only cared about Rusty insofar as appearances and whatnot. Classic sociopath/narcissist behavior. If he ever did anything genuinely loving for Rusty it would be because he loved how Rusty made him feel, not because he loved Rusty.

Rusty's probably still a bad person by most reasonable metrics, even considering the baggage he was saddled with, but Jonas is basically a full on monster.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lots of people think they are good parents and are terrible parents that in no way should have been allowed to raise a kid. Jonas just believes he can do no wrong and because he did it it makes it perfect, because he's Jonas! Of course he raised the perfect son! Because Jonas is perfect!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I dunno, the Jonas stuff is also filtered directly through Rusty's POV. I would have agreed entirely before season 7, except that the way Team Venture talked about Jonas was drastically different and more nuanced than they are all presented getting along with Jonas in previous flashbacks.

That being said I definitely think Jonas was massively hosed up and abusive to Rusty and rightfully the key villain of the show, I just feel like there's a 10% that's been withheld from us that explains why the guy was so beloved and why his friends were so loyal despite seeing his hosed up side. This is the last show that would present someone as completely and entirely irredeemable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

From what little we got of Rusty's musical the drat thing is such an ear worm.