Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I think you will find obeying international law is TREASON :mad: (see tomorrow's papers for more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

the Tories are actually going to push through that loving stupid bill, aren't they

they are actually going to destroy any meaningful sense of devolved government just to get Brexit done or whatever

the worst part? A pretty significant portion of folks from Scotland, Wales, and especially Northern Ireland are and will be okay with this

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

So what are the chances of another legal challange on the government? I know they were looking at some way of stopping them, as Boris doens't want to have to follow pesky laws.

Someone else may correct me on this but Legally this is something the government can do - parliamentary sovereignty and all - but it's a bloody stupid idea, and the attorney general gave a terrible legal defence of it even though it's something any law student should be ae to write a passing essay on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Answers Me posted:

"Freedom is in peril - defend it with all your might".
This is the last thing that the government wants anyone to do at present.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/stefsimanowitz/status/1304177310787137540?s=21

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Get this: I'm going to go robbing from shops today but only in a very specific and limited way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

that is my very biting and topical HIGNFY style wit

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently michael howard doesn't like it. And the tories supposedly do not have a large majority in the lords compared to the commons.

Not that I'm sure it stops them using some mechanism to bypass the lords.

They don't need a mechanism. The Lords can only bounce the Bill twice saying "this is madness" before the Commons can pass it without their consent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

hmm I wonder what happened to "well the government/big pharma will just force them to rush out a vaccine without doing the proper testing"

OwlFancier posted:

My theory was more that they would probably still buy it and roll it out even if it turned out to be occasionally lethal and if anything the "back to work peons" approach has only strengthened that view.

Except imagine that the satisfied man is also dying of the side effects of bozza's budget vaccine.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

crispix posted:

Get this: I'm going to go robbing from shops today but only in a very specific and limited way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

that is my very biting and topical HIGNFY style wit

turns out that the cops can't do anything if you rob the entire shop

I have two premiers, a co-op and a spar now but would be willing to trade for an original style happy shopper

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/bojack90s/status/1304343109577453569?s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

CHEREMY CLORKSHON MAYDE A LORT OF MUNNEY FROM TORLKING LOIKE THISH

Jeremy Clarkson has made more money... than the moon.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

Came to post this, yes, it was never even known about during the war, they found it in a cupboard somewhere I think in sometime in the 2010s.

I heard it was found in someone's shed. Making it a part of the grand tradition of a British person making an incredible discovery in their back garden shed that makes them rich.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The Question IRL posted:

I heard it was found in someone's shed. Making it a part of the grand tradition of a British person making an incredible discovery in their back garden shed that makes them rich the government takes control of, passes between various departments, considers worthless, and flogs off for pennies to another country that then monetises it for colossal profit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

a British person making an incredible discovery in their back garden shed that makes them rich.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I genuinely thought he'd have no chance with the membership even if this is from July

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1304142324201644032?s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Maybe Rishi is sufficiently astromically wealthy to transcend their racial prejudices

or maybe they've only heard him on the wireless and they think it's Tonty Bliar

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

crispix posted:

Maybe Rishi is sufficiently astromically wealthy to transcend their racial prejudices

Maybe Priti Patel has convinced enough people that your skin colour doesn't mean you can't also be an enormous racist

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

crispix posted:

he's the richest person in the house of commons

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Tories are perfectly willing to fully back specific asian or black candidates provided they're Tories.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

he's the richest person in the house of commons

He's richer than most of the Lords, as well. He's got something like £200m, doesn't he?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Awwwwwwwww

Its a Laurence fox joke

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

He's richer than most of the Lords, as well. He's got something like £200m, doesn't he?

Not entirely sure but its definitely a lot and his father in law is worth a few billion as well

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Streeting is poo poo, but this is him dunking on Laurence Fox for being an idiot racist.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s not the post-racial society we wanted, but it’s the post-racial society the UK deserves.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I keep telling you, Sunak is the obvious successor. He presents himself well, has the right soft tone and is an easy progressive pick over Starmer, because there's one thing that all racists who don't think they're racist love and that is being able to say "see, I like that guy! How can I be racist?". If you're the kind of dipshit who thinks that there's a national credit card to pay off then he's easily the best counter they have to Starmer, and no I'm not happy about that either, but it's true either way.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 11, 2020

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Jedit posted:

They don't need a mechanism. The Lords can only bounce the Bill twice saying "this is madness" before the Commons can pass it without their consent.

I may be wrong, but this actually only applies to things that are in/inline with a manifesto. Usually easy to justify anything given how vague manifestos are. But this is a weird situation where it directly contradicts main message of manifesto (revokes some of withdrawal agreement) so that may not actually apply this time.

If actual Brexit nutters like Howard are opposing this I do wonder if people are underestimating Lords ability to block this

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Red Oktober posted:

Awwwwwwwww

Its a Laurence fox joke

Was so weird when I saw this. Did not expect Streeting to have a sense of humour

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

gently caress it. Personal drama. Sorry.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 11, 2020

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

bustin keaton posted:

I may be wrong, but this actually only applies to things that are in/inline with a manifesto. Usually easy to justify anything given how vague manifestos are. But this is a weird situation where it directly contradicts main message of manifesto (revokes some of withdrawal agreement) so that may not actually apply this time.

If actual Brexit nutters like Howard are opposing this I do wonder if people are underestimating Lords ability to block this

It applies to every bill - it's just tradition that the Lords don't block manifesto pledges.
They can send it back for reconsideration twice, after with the Commons can use the Parliament Act to pass it without the Lords consent.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
If they are fine for money then stop helping them?

Like, that doesn't sound cuntish to me

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
One of the most infuriating things about this is that we just had a GE and no one is going to remember how badly the Tories hosed this up in 4 years.

Or they just won't care ...that's probably more likely

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sanford posted:

gently caress it. Personal drama. Sorry.

Being taken advantage of is really lovely and that's on your (presumably former) "friends", but if you want perhaps a slightly more positive take, if it was another friend that informed you about it, that suggests you do have people around you who recognize that it's wrong. People who think that way are the bulwark against people who would prey on the goodwill of others.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sunak is the obvious successor. He presents himself well, has the right soft tone
Every high caste Asian that's racist against Black people just received a subliminal signal and interpreted this in a very different way than you wanted.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It seems premature to believe Sunak's popularity will sustain itself long enough to be relevant in a leadership contest.

There's a very good reason every single thing to do with the economy and taxes has been 100% Hero Richi, with Boris absolutely nowhere to be seen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given that Johnson basically won by default after every other option was exhausted or succumbed to knifing, that doesn't prevent him from still winning.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

It isn’t necessary to be rich or a beneficiary of the system to be a oval office.

It comes down to solidarity. Would they help someone else out if they could? IMO the main reason to help strangers or distant acquaintances out on a private basis (instead of through a charity or redistributive taxation or whatever) is to create the conditions where they would honestly answer that question with a “yes”. If you lose their respect then it also discredits the concept of solidarity for them.

I actually don’t think regular support is a good way of doing that because it’s too easy for people to take for granted after a while - road to serfdom has some truth to it. Better to make less frequent and larger gifts if that’s an option. People will reassess their thinking if you help them out of a jam once, but they’ll be fairly naturally resentful at a subconscious level of anyone having the power to take away something they have got used to.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Who needs Europe anyway :smug:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1304354224956940295?s=20

*it would boost UK GDP by only 0.07%

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I don't know exactly what the UK regulations are here, but reading the linked gov.uk article the government has been able to use unlicensed products for things including pandemics since 2012. The related EU law requires that manufacturers / marketing authorisation holders are not liable for unlicensed use of their products. This new regulation (apparently) brings that into UK law as well. It also explicitly doesn't cover manufacturers making defective or inherently unsafe products.

Sorry if I have derailed (?) the outrage bus.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

sinky posted:

Who needs Europe anyway :smug:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1304354224956940295?s=20

*it would boost UK GDP by only 0.07%

新しい日本領主を歓迎します.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010