Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Jurassic Park Evolution: 2.8 hours into it and I'm really enjoying it? It's not the deepest theme park sim ever but it's very pretty, I enjoy setting things up and watching money roll in, the dinosaurs are great, and I like the campaign structure of "you must do 3 separate missions per island and unlock the rest of the islands as you go" it feels good.

That said I think I'm the only person on earth who doesn't like Jurassic Park the movie series so the movie nods and tie-ins do nothing for me. Oh well, the dinosaurs are cool (if featherless)
I've gotten some good fun out of it as well. The fact that you can leave a given island at will and come back whenever makes that mission unlock structure feel quite a bit less onerous. You get bored of a place, you go do something else for a while, pack back up where you left. It's a very smart approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm really glad larian got big because they've dealt a serious blow to rtwp and hopefully with baulders gate 3 they can kill it for good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any action game with a pause button is RTWP when you think about it, thus making the entire genre unnecessary.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kinda weird how RTWP sounded totally great to me until I played a game with it for five minutes

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grapplejack posted:

I'm really glad larian got big because they've dealt a serious blow to rtwp and hopefully with baulders gate 3 they can kill it for good

RTWP is good.

Turn based is also good.

Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin are both good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MZ posted:

With the Gamepass price increasing next week, is the trick to getting a cheap long subscription with Xbox live still work?

Considering taking advantage of this if it's still possible.

Yeah someone in the xbox thread did it earlier this week and it still works.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Kinda weird how RTWP sounded totally great to me until I played a game with it for five minutes

Is it always terrible? It works fine enough in Total War games, but there you don't have to continously keep manually using spells and abilities with 6 different units I guess.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Pausable real-time combat is fine as a concept, Dragon Age Origins did it fine with cooldowns and stamina instead of fixed round lengths. I'd be fine with a CRPG that uses that kind of combat engine being RTWP. I just don't care for the Infinity Engine style of turn-based-as-real-time combat where you make an action and then stand like a statue until the next round. It's maybe a little truer to the concept of a round representing everyone acting more-or-less simultaneously according to their initiative, but it turns out I don't really like playing that way.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

RTWP works perfectly fine in PoE. I know a lot of people were giddy for the turn based mode in 2, but I still think RTWP has a dynamism and feeling of realism you don't get with turn-based.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
If we didn't have RTWP we also wouldn't have the weirdly heated goon arguments about it whenever someone mentions the term, and I for one can't consider that an acceptable trade-off.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that was too many negations for me to parse at a quarter seven in the morning, are you for or against pointless slapfights :v:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Speaking of turn-based games, WH40K: Mechanicus is a pretty drat good XCom-like game that does its own thing, and is all the more memorable for it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ciaphas posted:

that was too many negations for me to parse at a quarter seven in the morning, are you for or against pointless slapfights :v:

Sorry but I can't comment further, it's not my turn until everyone else has had their go at posting first and that's going to take forever

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Turn-based slapfights or RTWP slapfights?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blattdorf posted:

Speaking of turn-based games, WH40K: Mechanicus is a pretty drat good XCom-like game that does its own thing, and is all the more memorable for it.

drat not found

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Darkhold posted:

The evil ending was at least an ending. But that good ending......man.

The good ending to NWN2 was Mask of the Betrayer

Hwurmp posted:

drat not found

:black101:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yoked posted:

If I'm enjoying Wasteland 3, is Divinity Original Sin 2 worth getting? I guess I don't ever remember this coming out, but $17.99 seems like a good price.

You could move the decimal point one space to the right and D:OS2 would still be worth it. It's an all-timer.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Black Griffon posted:

RTWP works perfectly fine in PoE. I know a lot of people were giddy for the turn based mode in 2, but I still think RTWP has a dynamism and feeling of realism you don't get with turn-based.

Eh, I think Pillars of Eternity 2 is the best game Obsidian's released since New Vegas and I am kind of sorry that I slept on it after being underwhelmed by PoE1, but that's definitely despite RtwP. Turn based mode is okay, but the game is not paced or tuned for it and it honestly has too many trash encounters in general.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The Joe Man posted:

You're going to laugh pretty hard at NWN2's ending then.
To be fair it's really just a transition into a pretty amazing DLC.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair it's really just a transition into a pretty amazing DLC.
Still hilarious. Rocks fall, everyone dies is such a giant cliché that no one ever sees it coming when it actually happens.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are the newer of the NBA 2K games any good for newbies? I really enjoy watching the sport, I like the idea of a story mode, and that 95% discount is super good, but I've tried a couple of the older ones (2k15) and it felt like being thrown in at the deep end.

I had the same problem with the Madden games I tried to which sucks because I love Blood Bowl and I think American Football is a genre I'd enjoy if the controls for that poo poo weren't loving Insane.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

The Joe Man posted:

You're going to laugh pretty hard at NWN2's ending then.

I heard about it (and got spoiled on it) years ago and the original ending sounds so rushed and bad it put me off.

I heard mask of the betrayer makes up for it, but it's hard to get into a expansion that assumes you know how to play and fight minibosses that disable you constantly, because the game assumes you should have trinkets with immunity by now.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Blattdorf posted:

That game, for the record, is amazing.

That soundtrack, holy poo poo. You're playing a squad of tech priests, of course the soundtrack is going to be all dark electronic industrial-ish with an organ breakdown. It fits perfectly into the game.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pierson posted:

Are the newer of the NBA 2K games any good for newbies? I really enjoy watching the sport, I like the idea of a story mode, and that 95% discount is super good, but I've tried a couple of the older ones (2k15) and it felt like being thrown in at the deep end.

I had the same problem with the Madden games I tried to which sucks because I love Blood Bowl and I think American Football is a genre I'd enjoy if the controls for that poo poo weren't loving Insane.

I like them (I have 2K17 and 2K20). The control system is a bit more complex than one would expect, but you don't really need to use the most convoluted tricks to fare well against the CPU.

Probably not easier than 2K15, though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Pierson posted:

What made it feel like being thrown in the deep end? The games have a lot they can be criticized for (the annoying monetization that can be bypassed but still feels like it looms over the game and the frequent cutaways and transition screens when I just wanna play). While I think they don't do a good job of explaining basketball details, and the controls have a high ceiling that I will never even try to come close to mastering, the lower difficulty settings are fine for playing against the computer without having to worry about most of that. I have relatively surface understanding level of basketball and I don't use the fancy analogue stick controls and still found it fun enough to play a season in last year's version.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This is really specific and a bit odd but does anyone remember which of the fantasy 4Xs out there has you sort of restoring greenery to the environment the more that your faction expands? Like you actually saw the map get more and more lush the more you expanded, kind of like spreading creep as zerg but more nature friendly.

I have a feeling it's more common than I think but who knows!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Deakul posted:

This is really specific and a bit odd but does anyone remember which of the fantasy 4Xs out there has you sort of restoring greenery to the environment the more that your faction expands? Like you actually saw the map get more and more lush the more you expanded, kind of like spreading creep as zerg but more nature friendly.

Not sure if its the one you're thinking of but there is a faction in Endless Legends that does that

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

I heard mask of the betrayer makes up for it, but it's hard to get into a expansion that assumes you know how to play and fight minibosses that disable you constantly, because the game assumes you should have trinkets with immunity by now.

hot take: I've come around to thinking that total status immunity in games is lame. It's started to feel like the devs gave up on making status effects fun and interesting to work around, and instead they just go "yeah we know this part of the game sucks, you've suffered enough, here's something so you don't have to deal with it any more."

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Hotter take: D&D is not a good system, actually, and modelling a computer game after it is worse.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

Ergggg. I wish micro-transactions didn't clog up the DLC section for a Steam store page. Or time to add a search function to it. Way too many in MH:W

everything important:

- Mr. x handler
- Anything that says free
- iceborne

forget about everything else.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Pierson posted:

I started playing 2K20 recently for similar reasons and the MyCareer story mode immediately assumes you know the rules of actual basketball and also how to play video game basketball, and also features a truly wild amount of cutscenes. I got the hang of it eventually but it's definitely not designed for newcomers

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol this is #5 on my new and trending list: NSFW AS gently caress: Pledge: Extra Credit. I always laugh at the people giving legitimate reviews to these games because they have their own scale made up to rate sexgames based on how horny they are or like how fun the game is to play? :psyduck:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

If anything, total immunity to status effects should always be a compromise and an actual choice, either in terms of cost, or negative perks or what have you. Just going "ah well time to equip my amulets of 100% fire resistance" is lame.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Deakul posted:

You're thinking about the Disciples: Sacred Lands series. Disciples 2 is a pretty drat good game. Third one wasn't so great.

We have a thread for questions like this, by the way! People there are really on the ball and have managed to find me some dearly missed old stuff again.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

Hotter take: D&D is not a good system, actually, and modelling a computer game after it is worse.

:hmmyes:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

out of all the fights I've had in TT D&D, with a myriad of DMs, I think I've had genuine fun in like a tenth of them, and out of that tenth, most of them were early game fights where we had less to keep track of and played it fast and loose.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i cant stand RTWP but i also have complicated thoughts about D:OS. i'm getting near the end of it (in the source temple), but gently caress the game is slow in so many ways. movement, combat, looting

and the insta-kill lava can gently caress itself, especially because AI will just sometimes walk into it. gently caress

the game doesn't have enough creative solutions or combat-free options to truly have a pen and paper feel. it ultimately comes down to kill kill kill rock paper scissors kill kill kill kill rock paper scissors. and the combat doesn't iterate enough, it's just "make sure your characters have strong willpower/bodybuilding" because the incline is in the amount of status effects thrown about in battle

there's just a lot of meh to the game and that is compounded by the bugginess, like how i got locked out of a main quest that means death knights/sentinels are forever invulnerable. to get past one part in the phantom forest i had to slowly and methodically teleport the sentinels away from the area rather than destroy them as intended and it took forever lol

in another main quest the rat king came out and a fight broke out, but instead of with the rat king/family, it was with a dog NPC that was just chilling and friendly because the game got confused. RIP that dog

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Can't say I had complicated thoughts regarding D:OS.

I left the first town feeling bored and entirely unengaged with its pathetic attempts at telling a story. I remember at least appreciating the combat system as somewhat engaging, but certainly not enough to write enthusiastic posts about. A more interesting game must have come along because I just stopped playing at some point.

I do not remember a single name or character from D:OS. That's an indictment.

Feb 2, 2005
I think Portal might be a perfect game. What felt so short in 2007 feels like the perfect length more than a decade later. Still laugh out loud funny. And now that 13 years has washed the nerd stink of joke repetition off, it's even better. The aesthetic of the Enrichment Center is masterful and the core gameplay verb is fun all the way to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Can't say I had complicated thoughts regarding D:OS.

I left the first town feeling bored and entirely unengaged with its pathetic attempts at telling a story. I remember at least appreciating the combat system as somewhat engaging, but certainly not enough to write enthusiastic posts about. A more interesting game must have come along because I just stopped playing at some point.

I do not remember a single name or character from D:OS. That's an indictment.
I've only played D:OS2, but I can't hold it against you. Larian games suffer, and I mean really really suffer, from their writing only ever being fractionally as interesting and funny as they think they are. They had an early success in Divine Divinity, which ran heavily on that kind of tongue in cheek writing, but the thing to remember there is that this was almost twenty years ago now. Humor in games was both less present and tastes were just different altogether.

All in all, I often get the feeling that Larian's writing staff just hasn't really grown up in the slightest since then. It's why I don't really like their games a lot anymore, even though I used to love Divine Divinity when it was new.