Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The 7th Guest posted:

whenever the shrek reboot comes out i'm sure there'll be a licensed game that has lots of ogre battling

How do I dislike a post and put a curse on a poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Chev posted:

You even get the feeling he's still in a different game, since he's being all grim and you only ever see him on a screen.

That being said the worst part of Watch Dogs 2 for me was the whole plot and characterization. Like, the main character's unjustly profiled by the system as a criminal hacker and potential terrorist because of his ethnicity and social environment, and decides to fight that by... becoming a criminal hacker and terrorist, as predicted by his profile? There's that big mid-game scene where Evil GAFA Hipster traps you and takes advantage of his unfair control of the system to, well, to rigthfully accuse you of all the crimes you've been committing since the beginning of the game. Then to get out of that you recruit a worse hacker terrorist who drives Dedsec further on the war path and I almost thought they were doing a thing because there's that scene where the girl calls him out on further radicalizing them, but they never continue that embryo of plotline.

The game spent a lot of time successfully selling me on the odd-but-sympathetic goofy-Anonymous-meets-Big-Bang-Theory ragtag bunch of oddballs I didn't like at first, like yeah, they're just a nice bunch fighting for the rights of everyone, but then you get a mission where you've got to straight up kill four people to avenge the death of one of your friends, who by the way is of course the team's token black guy. He didn't even die a meaningful death, just got randomly killed by a gang (also then I checked the game's promo art and holy heck, that team member's not even in the team shots. They put the funny robot instead. It even has a more meaningful death scene!). And then of course that bit where you get to kill a whole bunch of security guards and blow up a data center with a grenade launcher and explosives because, they tell you, it's time to let loose. In the name of freedom!

And I'm not even mentioning a mission before that which I did stealthily and the final trigger straight up didn't activate unless I went back and got into a fight so there could be an actiony cutscene.

And I guess it may have seemed like they could retroactively address Dedsec's radicalization from a hacker collective into a terrorist organization in Legion, only now it's been revealed you're not actually fighting the oppression in Legion, you're seeking to clear Dedsec's name because more evil terrorist pinned a bombing on you.

Also, that whole bit where they actually explain to you the 2009 financial crisis was due to foreign hackers and not to the failure of the financial system is in poor taste, and the mission where you destroy a totally-not-Trump presidential candidate's career by releasing records of him saying mean things to the public is, retrospectively, a hilarious bit of optimistic science fiction.

Well you see, Ubisoft is not political

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i played through the krieg dlc for bl3 and cried multiple times so i guess they did a good job

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Infinitum posted:

Nah I'm gonna buy it and support Paul Robertson, an Aussie.
I really don't think Robertson gets any royalties from his work on Scott Pilgrim since he was "just" the art director.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

tithin posted:

How do I dislike a post and put a curse on a poster

let us cling to donkey

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

haveblue posted:

If it's anything like the other watchdogs, the leaning and offense are both pulled from a big table and not all anarchists pirate video games and vice versa

Does the list of offenses still include „illegal immigrant”?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

I feel like if I boycott a game for moral reasons the people most hosed over will be the exploited underclass of developers I support while the shitlords light cigars with 100 dollar bills as they fire them.

the exploited underclass got laid off when the game shipped

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
That phrase isn't supposed to end with "so that means don't ever try to do anything about it"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I take it to mean, Don’t flagellate yourself for buying a Coke

Which is nice because then I don’t have to do anything

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

homeless snail posted:

believing that individual purchasing decisions have any kind of meaningful impact whatsoever, is the ultimate myth of capitalism

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the ultimate myth of capitalism is the idea that society would suffer in any way for not having the corporate class around or that we would really miss them if they disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SeXReX posted:

That phrase isn't supposed to end with "so that means don't ever try to do anything about it"

Being an informed consumer is better than being wilfully ignorant.

We've got this culture at the moment where everybody must be paragons of virtue 24/7
But it's tiring to constantly be the best version of yourself.

loving just buy the game and enjoy it.
Rome wasn't built in a day, etc.

2020 is exhausting.

:same:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyway here's stickbug
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/478303355567865880/752254725960761484/video0_11.mp4

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

exquisite tea posted:

I think the ultimate myth of capitalism is the idea that society would suffer in any way for not having the corporate class around or that we would really miss them if they disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow.

Also a good (bad) one.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Just treat it like "carbon offsets." Buy whatever you want and balance it out by scuttling a billionaire's yacht.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Really you need to factor in what taxes you pay and how much of that ends up in the pockets of pedophile rapist government officials, of which there are many.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah man I can't wait to buy a PS5/Xbox later this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqcXgODTeOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SeXReX posted:

it doesnt, but buying or not buying stuff doesnt do anything about it.

theres stuff ill not buy because of whatever, im not going to buy any ubisoft stuff, but im not going to trick myself into thinking that alone solves any problem. it doesnt actually do anything at all in reality.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't care about Assassin's Creed or Watchdogs but what will I do if they make a new Rayman........

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't care about Assassin's Creed or Watchdogs but what will I do if they make a new Rayman........

Luckily 80% of Rayman games are bad so it probably won't matter.

Also Michel Ansel is going to spend the next five years crawling up his own arse and pretending to develop BGAE2 so it'll be a while before a new Rayman is on the cards.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Found my next av, courtesy of Heroes 3

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress it’s kinda tiny ...

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jay Rust posted:

gently caress it’s kinda tiny ...

that's what she said

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

all fixed

pls credit me in ur sig if u use it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Encouraging labor organization is going to do a lot more for the culture of the video game industry than a handful of people out of a million not buying an Assassin's Creed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

By the time you pirate or boycott a game all the contractor devs were already paid, strung along for real job opportunities, but fired anyway.
So crack some smiles and grab your filez

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wonder how much the “Free Hong Kong” thing and the resulting bad press cost Blizzard in the end.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SeXReX posted:

It was always the implication

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

I wonder how much the “Free Hong Kong” thing and the resulting bad press cost Blizzard in the end.

The mulan actress controversy may be a good indicator since movies still need to reveal revenue

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

It was always the implication

it isnt, its pointing out that "voting with your wallet" is an artificial concept that allows people to do nothing about it, because they feel theyve already done something about it by doing nothing. if consumption changed habit then all the vegans and vegetarians of the world wouldve stopped the meat industry, or at least created some noticeable impact on it. yet in reality the entire sum of the dollar power wielded by people who refuse to buy meat has done nothing as the industry grows ever larger, and there are certainly more people refusing to buy meat because of the abject cruelty of the meat industry than there are people who would abstain from buying a game.

if you want to actually do something about it then you have to be more involved than simply buying or not buying things. if you want to not buy a game because the dev or publisher sucks thats completely understandable, but dont trick yourself into thinking that alone is any form of action. the only way purchasing can affect something is a significant and wide ranging boycott, not the buying habits of unassociated individuals.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Let's see you fit that around Sonic instead

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Only violent revolution at this point is going to change anything. The ultra wealthy of the world have too much power for voting, or peaceful protests to do any good.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Voting with your wallet actually does work, it just requires more than a handful of people doing it. But being extra cynical and saying that nothing matters, now that's how the world really becomes a better place!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Meat industry seems untouchable via the market because there are still so many countries to bring the american diet to that no amount of american boycott could compare to like getting everyone in africa to eat 3 bigmacs a day

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Voting with your wallet actually does work, it just requires more than a handful of people doing it. But being extra cynical and saying that nothing matters, now that's how the world really becomes a better place!

What are some examples of this actually being true? Slavery and labor abuse are at their highest than at any point in human history.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Voting with your wallet actually does work, it just requires more than a handful of people doing it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Voting with your wallet can in some limited circumstances effect change, but it's a really inefficient way of doing it, and reliant upon the whims of potentially millions of endpoint consumers rather than the few people who are loving things up for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Stux posted:

it isnt, its pointing out that "voting with your wallet" is an artificial concept that allows people to do nothing about it, because they feel theyve already done something about it by doing nothing. if consumption changed habit then all the vegans and vegetarians of the world wouldve stopped the meat industry, or at least created some noticeable impact on it. yet in reality the entire sum of the dollar power wielded by people who refuse to buy meat has done nothing as the industry grows ever larger, and there are certainly more people refusing to buy meat because of the abject cruelty of the meat industry than there are people who would abstain from buying a game.

if you want to actually do something about it then you have to be more involved than simply buying or not buying things. if you want to not buy a game because the dev or publisher sucks thats completely understandable, but dont trick yourself into thinking that alone is any form of action. the only way purchasing can affect something is a significant and wide ranging boycott, not the buying habits of unassociated individuals.

It's pretty much this. I don't like the message being co-opted into "Well, there's no ethical consumption under capitalism so I might as well buy Blizzard's latest title because what else am I going to do?", but at the same time not buying a game alone isn't going to do jack poo poo.