Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At best you're making extremely tiny insignificant or not at all important changes. EA dropping microtransactions from Battlefront II did nothing to stop employee abuse in the game industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah mass union action industry wide would be the way to go.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don't buy games from rapists though

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Don't buy games from rapists though

Here is a safe list to choose from:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Arrrthritis posted:

It's pretty much this. I don't like the message being co-opted into "Well, there's no ethical consumption under capitalism so I might as well buy Blizzard's latest title because what else am I going to do?", but at the same time not buying a game alone isn't going to do jack poo poo.

When people say "no ethical consumption etc." they don't mean "never try to do the right thing, ever." They mean that the modern world forces people into impossible decisions all the time and attempting to establish some kind of hierarchy for what is good vs. bad consumerism in a system where such exploitation is commonplace and ubiquitous a fruitless exercise. More importantly, it puts an unfair onus upon the consumer to somehow personally absolve themselves of the ills of capitalism through their own pristine buying habits, which are themselves largely ignorant, arbitrary and/or irrational, rather than stopping the relatively few people who are doing direct harm.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ANYWAY

Koei Tecmo are gonna give a 50min Hyrule Warriors presentation at TGS. Hype.
https://twitter.com/zelda_musou/status/1304244038623662080

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

When people say "no ethical consumption etc." they don't mean "never try to do the right thing, ever." They mean that the modern world forces people into impossible decisions all the time and attempting to establish some kind of hierarchy for what is good vs. bad consumerism in a system where such exploitation is commonplace and ubiquitous a fruitless exercise. More importantly, it puts an unfair onus upon the consumer to somehow personally absolve themselves of the ills of capitalism through their own pristine buying habits, which are themselves largely ignorant, arbitrary and/or irrational, rather than stopping the relatively few people who are doing direct harm.

:hmmyes:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Real hurthling! posted:

Meat industry seems untouchable via the market because there are still so many countries to bring the american diet to that no amount of american boycott could compare to like getting everyone in africa to eat 3 bigmacs a day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp_3553sw0Q

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

being worried about boycotting affecting the livelihood of the developers is pointless. that would mean poor people hurt developers by not being able to afford games. they're paid for their work they're fine. maybe they have to find new work after the project is over, that's just normal for the industry. everyone's gotta hustle in this broken world

unionizing is the only way to fix their actual issues

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 11, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lol, I was just about to mention The Good Place.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm going to start carrying a big spiked morningstar with "MY WALLET" written on it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Good Place was good but I feel like season 3 petered out a bit and by 4 it was pretty obvious they couldn't think of anything for half the characters to really do. I liked how the vibe the titular Good Place set off was basically just The Sims, down to it being a torture chamber.

Bortles

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best joke on The Good Place is still the item on Tahani's bucket list that reads "Write Tahani al-Jamil's Borges' Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote"

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Arrrthritis posted:

It's pretty much this. I don't like the message being co-opted into "Well, there's no ethical consumption under capitalism so I might as well buy Blizzard's latest title because what else am I going to do?", but at the same time not buying a game alone isn't going to do jack poo poo.

This is where I'm at. I'm not naive enough to think my purchasing decisions are seriously impacting the bottom line of these companies, but I still try to form my own moral values around what I'm buying because it is something I can control about my own life, and it provides me an opportunity to share my opinions to people in my social community.

I think saying, 'gently caress all context, buy it, who cares' sucks.

Plus, we get to have a few pages of these discussions, which I genuinely enjoy, and maybe we're getting a few more Games Goons to acknowledge that Captialism is a gently caress.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is saying some video game character has “kickstarter-backer-face” derogatory?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Is saying some video game character has “kickstarter-backer-face” derogatory?

Well now it is

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yes, because didn't that come from some RPG project that made "we'll put you in the game as an NPC" a donation perk? With the end result being that the NPC population was segregated into two tiers, the ones that felt like they belonged there and the ones that didn't.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I've seen it in a few kickstarter rpgs and its not that they look bad but you can often tell their portraits were based around some facebook snapshot the backer sent in and the concept artist turned it into an elf or whatever

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Also Pillars of Eternity has neogaf rape elf guy as a portrait option which is fun

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The KS backer stories in PoE were some of the most embarrassing things I've ever read.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

The KS backer stories in PoE were some of the most embarrassing things I've ever read.

There are some very embarrassing ones in Battletech

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I stopped reading them after the first three, but still got annoyed by how many moon-people and fire-guys there were everywhere you went

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is it like tragic backstories for their OCs or something, I haven't played PoE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah are there excerpts anywhere, I’ve heard about the questionable backstories for awhile but never tried to look them up

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Is the section in Hollow Knight with the rows of heroic bug spirits a kickstarter area? It's not really out of place in the same way PoE1's NPCs are but it does feel a bit disconnected from the rest of the game.

That reminds me, I need to finish HK. CK3 coming out has temporarily derailed me. I didn't expect to like it because I don't usually like those types of games and I have a pretty low frustration limit - only tried it because it was on gamespass (superb value, etc). Had a bit of a shaky start but grew to really love it once I got a couple of powers and did some exploring. One of those games where it just feels really well designed. Definitely not going to 112% it or anything (sorry moth lady, I'm never delivering that flower :( ) but going to be quite thorough.

Also seems like i've timed getting into the series pretty well since Silksong is coming out soon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

UrbicaMortis posted:

Definitely not going to 112% it or anything (sorry moth lady, I'm never delivering that flower :( ) but going to be quite thorough.

:getgud:

Hollow Knight rules

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

UrbicaMortis posted:

Definitely not going to 112% it or anything (sorry moth lady, I'm never delivering that flower :( )
It's less bad than you think

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I liked the one about the guy opening up his plant shop in Defiance Bay for the morning, but everything else was an almost unbearably bad read.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

mango sentinel posted:

especially with the dream nail teleport

also the trick is to kill all the enemies to clear a path first, then go back to get the flower, without resting on a bench, so there will be a lot less danger on the path

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ll load up PoE myself and take some screenshots cuz I can’t find any examples online

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ymgve posted:

especially with the dream nail teleport

also the trick is to kill all the enemies to clear a path first, then go back to get the flower, without resting on a bench, so there will be a lot less danger on the path

I thought the tele will kill the flower

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Not a Children posted:

It does

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Not a Children posted:

It will, but if you drop it at the quest start it makes failure a lot less annoying

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

mango sentinel posted:

My friend who recently did the path of pain has told me the same thing. My plan is just to play until I stop having fun, so we'll see how it goes I guess. I've still got quite a bit of the 'standard' stuff to do first though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

(Not as bad as I remember if i'm being honest, just very boring)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

UrbicaMortis posted:

My friend who recently did the path of pain has told me the same thing. My plan is just to play until I stop having fun, so we'll see how it goes I guess. I've still got quite a bit of the 'standard' stuff to do first though.

path of pain doesn't count to the 112 either so you can skip it if you want

you only have to complete the base 100%, the grimm content and the first four pantheons. nightmare king grimm is a ball-buster but i had more trouble with the final boss of pantheon 4 because by the time i made it that far my reflexes were in the toilet from all the previous fights

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i guess there's some stuff coming out on steam soon

atomicrops and welcome to elk on the 17th
pendragon on the 21st (by inkle, 80 Days/Heaven's Vault dev)
soldat 2, rebel galaxy outlaw on the 22nd
art of rally on the 23rd (by the Absolute Drift dev), also goose game
going under, serious sam 4 on the 24th

mafia remaster on the 25th
the sojourn on the 29th

and of course spelunky 2

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ostranauts came out yesterday(?) also, I forgot to buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

"Maybe Apple shouldn't have a monopoly"

"Yet you own an iPhone! Curious. I am very intelligent."